Demo/ Feed back and update.

Love the game.They have a couple of things I hope dont find there way into the full version.But,other than that,we were playing over Hamachi,can be a little unstable though.If they dont come out with a standalone server software though,Its all for not..The jig is up.As good as a connection as we have,5 was it with hamachi over Lan..Ran smooth though still bugs.

My System

AMD 64 3500(overclocked to 2.4)

BFG 6800 Ultra(overclocked 460 GPU....memory 1.16 )

Corsair platnum 1 gb(T1 2,2,2,5)

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sold. This reminds me of the game that brought together the Nightwatch team five years ago with the original GR. Sure there are some minor things that you can find with any game, but the overall feel of the game is tremendous. The multiplayer is going to be the star of this game anyway. It will be so good in mp that any other tiny flaw will be overlooked.

P4 2.4

1gig PC2100

ATi Radeon x850 XT 256meg AGP

....ran fine in 1024 x 768 with medium settings.

-FlyinVR6-[NW]-

After some tweaking I got the demo running around 40-60 FPS with every on medium/high at 1920x1200. I had to setup a new SLI profile, and drop the texture quality (in nvidia control panel) down to high performance, but I didn't notice that much of a difference.

For those of you *not* playing on your monitor's native resolution, it is an absolute must in order to really get the complete feel of the game!!

After some tweaking I got the demo running around 40-60 FPS with every on medium/high at 1920x1200.  I had to setup a new SLI profile, and drop the texture quality (in nvidia control panel) down to high performance, but I didn't notice that much of a difference.

For those of you *not* playing on your monitor's native resolution, it is an absolute must in order to really get the complete feel of the game!!

Favor could you pls post a screenshot of nvidia control so we can copy your technique

Hi,

Had several bugs come up but I'm not disappointed! Biggest improvement I got was from disabling EAX!

Don't like weapon changes in a menu, can get yer R's shot off while messing with that! Should be a single keystroke like GR1! Like many other ppl, found mouse movement frustating and unuseful at times.

First time I blew the tanker up it blew up my rig (BSOD) had to reload but WOW! that's an explosion, aint it?

Rig: 2Gb Athlon

1Gb memory

Radeon 9800 Pro

(Nothing set higher than medium at 1024 x 768/75.)

I feel an upgrade coming on :P:g_withgrin:

Drone doesn't work or is that only in full game?

Where's the rifle cam? :whistle:

Mike.

Edited by tecmic

Just a little tip for everyone with an nVidia graphics card, use the 84.43 beta driver. Get them @ http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_download...2bit_84.43.html

Also, for everyone with a 16:10 monitor, set aspect_ratio manually to 1.6 and you should be good ;)

Gotta add that the game runs great with everything max on my box:

4800+ X2, 2GB Corsair XMS, 7800GTX 256

Gotta love this game, but hope they fix some of the problems with the patch/addon...

hi guys i just got the demo today and im glad that i can play on max res with everything on full EXCEPT textures being on medium, i dont suffer any fps drops but the thing that annoys me is why cant i turn texture details on high? the highest option it gives me is medium help anyone?

my card is gforce 7900gt 84.21 driver

1gb ram

amd 3.4ghz

so why cant i turn textures on highest?

It's a safety device. 40mm grenades won't go off under around 15m.

If you've played with a M203 in America's Army.. or Real Life  :P, you'll be glad when the thing duds when you hit sometihing a bit close.

Can you actualy proove that this game is running smooth showing screen shot of settings and fraps fps, as it almost seems imposible that your rig can achive it. my rig is over double your spec on gfx and cpu and barly get low to med at 1024 x 768.

your rig:

Ikillintel

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ Barton

Gigabyte GA-7N400 PRO2

3Gigs Kingston PC3200 DDR Gamer

160 Gig Maxtor HD 7200 RPM

Audigy2 X-Gamer Pro ZS

ATI Radeon 9800XT 256MB

Diablo CDRW & DVD drives (Blue light)

Spiderman Gamer case custom graphic's & paint

all the pretty red, blue & yellow neon lighting and fans.

550 trueblue pwrsply.

quote: from Ikillintel

I'm not having any of the problems you guys have posted, from install to the end of the map has been smooth for me. I have all my settings maxed I use my EAX and screen res at 1280 x 1024. I use the same keys for GRAW that I did for GR1. Using the Number keypad helps when changing weapons and opening doors while Ctrl is used for zooming in, arrow keys for movement, , and . for left and right peek all my keys are within fingertips tap ...close together the closer they are together the faster you can react. I use delete to reload. This is the best setup for me... I've played this way since the first rainbow six came out.

Can you actualy proove that this game is running smooth showing screen shot of settings and fraps fps, as it almost seems imposible that your rig can achive it. my rig is over double your spec on gfx and cpu and barly get low to med at 1024 x 768.

your rig:

Ikillintel

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ Barton Mine(Sandiego 3700+ @FX57 2.8G)

Gigabyte GA-7N400 PRO2

3Gigs Kingston PC3200 DDR Gamer

160 Gig Maxtor HD 7200 RPM

Audigy2 X-Gamer Pro ZS

ATI Radeon 9800XT 256MB Mine (X800XT 256m)

Diablo CDRW & DVD drives (Blue light)

Spiderman Gamer case custom graphic's & paint

all the pretty red, blue & yellow neon lighting and fans.

550 trueblue pwrsply.

Edited by daztrek

I cannot play the game. Heres my PC specs:

GeForce FX5500 256MB AGP8

Kingston PC-3200 DDR400 1GB

AMD Athlon 64 bit 3200+

I cant play the game at all. No problem loading the starting page. But when click play, i cant see nothing, all in pitch black, i can hear voice and the small screen on my upper right screen. It also lag very bad even when i run at lowest setting and resolution set to 800x600.

I bet this is only due to vid card. Guys need some help, is it okay if i buy ATI Radeon X1600Pro 256MB DDR2 AGP8 for this game. Can this card take it?

---danish

Yes - you should get slightly better performance than my X800pro 256 AGP. And mine runs fairly well with forced AA on. I do get a long initial load time at the 'black screen' after the intro screens however (1 min or so) before the game main menu comes up. maybe this is demo specific?

I think your card is better tham mine cause for my vid card the pitch black was there and it was lagging real bad. I will buy a new vid card the ATI Radeon X1600Pro 256MB DDR AGP8 today and i will test it again with the game.

LOL guys, do i deserve as a hardcore pc gamer???

---danish

Just came back from PC shop. I just bought an affordable and within my budget, i actually want to buy the radeon but stock for AGP has run out so i go for option 2 which is i bought GeForce NX6600GT 128MB DDR3 AGP8 an i get another 512 MB kingston ram.

GeForce NX6600GT 128MB DDR3 AGP8

1.5GB Kingston PC3200 DDR400

AMD Athlon 64 bit 3200+

Samsung LCD 17" Display

I can play the game now, smoothly with the setting at 1028x728 and the rest of the setting at their default.

---danish

also is there any way to force the texture quality to high because atm the game runs sooo silky smooth with the settings i have that i dont really believe that an extra 256mb of gpu memory is needed just to bump up the texture from medium to high

So let me get this right, The developers state that the game will only play at high texture quality with a 512mb card... The game itself limits the texture quality to Medium unless you have a 512mb card... Yet you STILL don't believe em.

Is this because even though they wrote all the code they just said that for the hell of it to screw YOU in particular over or maybe because the game actually loads MORE THAN 256mb of texture to the graphics cards memory if HIGH detail is selected.

You obviously think the former :blink:

I´m thankful the devs didn´t seriously hardcode the texture quality settings into the game and that I can still enable some of the high-quality textures (by editing the XML file) and enjoy them on my stoneaged 128MB video card. Big :thumbsup: to GRIN about this one.

Edited by agentkay

Enough already about the eye candy boys let's get back to the AI!

It's sweet absolutley chuffed to nuts about the enemy AI and I've got a feeling that the friendly AI is better than most of my clan mates!

Getting this right would have taken an awful amount of work and testing and I'm sure that they will have to make some tweaks but as far as I'm concerned I'm one happy customer!

Nice one GRIN!

Looking forward to the mission editor!

I think the 5th may ,I will put all those games aside to play GRAW! :)

I uninstalled BF2 while I was DL'ing the demo, had not played it in over a month anyway.

Does anyone else have the issue with it detecting your sound harrdware and software as "GENERIC" in the demo?? I have a SB AUDIGY II ZS.

i don't have that exact issue, but I am getting scratchy sound with EAX turned on. I'm going to try resintalling my drivers and see if that helps. I'm also running the aud 2 zs.

So it says Sounblaster or Audigy as your hardware instead of "Generic Hardware" and "Generic Software" ??? I don't have any actual sound issues, the game just recognizes my card as generic............. Anyone else???

I can choose between Audigy 2, Generic Hardware, Generic Software. I´m using the newest Creative drivers (from January or February this year, v2.008 or something) AND I installed the newest OpenAL drivers ( available @ www.openal.org ). Two openal .dll files (OpenAL32.dll/wrap_oal.dll) are placed into the windows/system32 folder. Since they are newer than the ones which came with the demo, I replaced the demo .dll as well. It shouldn´t be necessary, but it didn´t hurt anything and only took a few seconds. I have perfectly clean 5.1 sound, no clicking or strange noises. I´m using Windows 2000 Pro/SP4 with all updates and sound accerlation is maxed out in dxdiag.

Edited by agentkay

Rocky........

the demo is out. 

I'm just asking that you give an unbiased, and frank assessment. 

When GR was released 5 years ago, the first thing I said to Jester when he eagerly Pm'd me for my opinion of the Demo (back then Ubi sent me the demo a little early), I told him it did not look good. I'd played it for about half an hour and wasn't impressed. Point being - look how wrong I was then, and how wrong I would probably be if I posted my thoughts based on 3 of hours playing (yes, that's all I have managed).

Having said that, I can't help myself. :P

Early opinions tend bad because people usually quickly spot the stuff that is poor, and have not yet played long enough to taste the gameplay. So it's with that in mind I would report there are a few things that a really annoying me with this game and it does disapoint me that they made it past all the testing and the beta testers. Those items are already documented elsewhere in this forum, like the prone issue for example, or the whole game ending in coop when the leader dies. I feel sure they will probably be addressed in the first patch though, or as an option in the full game.

The game engine seems like it demands A LOT of your PC, and on the basis of the demo, I hope the full game delivers a bit more for all that power. The graphics retain the originals gritty feel - but have they went just a bit too bland with the colours? Should people with high end PC's really only expect mid range FPS? Should they expect to sacrifice anti-aliasing for HDR? Again, hopefully these are things can be be addressed in a patch and/or improved drivers.

I do really like the ease of commanding your team, a simple click and roll of the mouse wheel - that is fast and efficient. Although on the other hand selecting your secondary weapon or frags would seem to be one click too many. A fidgety scroll of the mousewheel to select your secondary weapon is going to be a test of my digital dexterity just when I run out of primary ammo. Practice or a patch will fix that though.

Some of the weapon models are quite impressive, I've been caught out checking them out in close up once or twice.

The character models look good to me, although the lighting sometimes seems a bit harsh, they almost look like characters pasted onto a background instead of actually being in the scene. When they are in a shaded area they look better to me, in the bright sunlight the camo almost shouts out "here, I am over here!!" I saw someone post a way to tweak the colour saturation using card settings though, so I guess it's down to personal preference.

Some of the character animation looks a little stiff above the waist, the running movement is very cool though, they nailed that.

Loving the sound though, incoming fire is great as it rattles off the brickwork next to you sending dust and grit flying.

I think I experienced some random enemy placement which will add to replayability, or maybe it was just me getting lost :P

Overall I can't wait to get stuck into the game proper, it is a fun session, and it is a challenge. The final version will hopefully be tweaked a bit for performance, and include some fixes to the issues that are all over the forum today. So I reserve judgement until the full game is out - this demo is a couple of version numbers at least off the final retail version, so time will tell.

This is probably one of the best posts on the web at the moment.

Please take some notice of it, its extremly good advice indeed.

I can choose between Audigy 2, Generic Hardware, Generic Software.  I´m using the newest Creative drivers (from January or February this year, v2.008 or something) AND  I installed the newest OpenAL drivers ( available @ www.openal.org ).  Two openal .dll files (OpenAL32.dll/wrap_oal.dll) are placed into the windows/system32 folder. Since they are newer than the ones which came with the demo, I replaced the demo .dll as well. It shouldn´t be necessary, but it didn´t hurt anything and only took a few seconds.  I have perfectly clean 5.1 sound, no clicking or strange noises.  I´m using Windows 2000 Pro/SP4 with all updates and sound accerlation is maxed out in dxdiag.

Did you have problems like not being able to hear your own gun firing at times BEFORE you did the www.openal.org thing. I don't want to install it unecessarily.

also is there any way to force the texture quality to high because atm the game runs sooo silky smooth with the settings i have that i dont really believe that an extra 256mb of gpu memory is needed just to bump up the texture from medium to high

So let me get this right, The developers state that the game will only play at high texture quality with a 512mb card... The game itself limits the texture quality to Medium unless you have a 512mb card... Yet you STILL don't believe em.

Is this because even though they wrote all the code they just said that for the hell of it to screw YOU in particular over or maybe because the game actually loads MORE THAN 256mb of texture to the graphics cards memory if HIGH detail is selected.

You obviously think the former :blink:

Well, you can force high res textures. I have done so on my 256mb card and I'm not noticing much of a performance drop at all.

Just open the file "renderer_settings.xml" in the \Data\settings\ directory, and for instance change the line

<variable name="texture_quality_characters" value="medium"/>

to <variable name="texture_quality_characters" value="high"/>

Changing all textures to high might not work out, but I'm using high on characters and buildings and it works just fine.