Ghost Recon.net Forums

Demo/ Feed back and update.

Not sure if it has been posted before, but some people with Audigy and X-fi cards have experienced performance gains by updating the latest OpenAL drivers available over @ www.openal.org . I also replaced the openal32.dll in the demo directory with the newer version but then again I didn´t have any sound-related performance issues anyway.

Edited by agentkay
  • Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How on earth can you run the game on highest settings when my spec is higher than yours and I can only run it at low to med to get around 40fps

i think some people have different ideas of what runs well and what high settings are. i don't think some people actually check the fps. they see that the system runs the graphics, but don't pay attention to how slow or fast the vid lag is. or maybe they just don't care.

there is no video lag what so ever... fps with everything full shabang was 30 to 40

your ram or gfx isnt higher spec than mine - maybe thats the problem?

I'm seriusly getting ###### with my teamate AI.  This could be a dealbreaker if not fixed in the full version.  I swear the next time one of them pushes me out of cover or walks out into a hail of bullets then acts surprised that he got shot, I'm shooting them myslef.

*enemy sneaks into range*

graw soldier: "hoo go dareeee"? "stop or me gun shooot yuuuuus" "omgz mitchell wut weee doood nowww" *runs across kilzone while bullets flyin almost knocks down mitchell*

mitchel: :wall:

lol! :lol: Actually, never seen sp. I don't even care about it frankly. And I even care less for it now from all the talk about the so so AI. All I care about really is the mp. Was playin co-op online with some buds last night using battlelan. LOL no internet demo haha jokes on GRIN. Thanks goodness for battlelan! :thumbsup:

Hey All,

The Game looks great but it seems to feel a little sluggish when I am playing. I have even turned the settings down and still runs sluggish.

My system

AMD athlon 64 3000+

GeForce 6600 256Mbps

1Gig of Ram

Audigy SB ZS

10,000RPM Raptor HD

Do I need to upgrade my PC to be able to play this or do I need to tweak something??

Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm seriusly getting ###### with my teamate AI.  This could be a dealbreaker if not fixed in the full version.  I swear the next time one of them pushes me out of cover or walks out into a hail of bullets then acts surprised that he got shot, I'm shooting them myslef.

*enemy sneaks into range*

graw soldier: "hoo go dareeee"? "stop or me gun shooot yuuuuus" "omgz mitchell wut weee doood nowww" *runs across kilzone while bullets flyin almost knocks down mitchell*

mitchel: :wall:

lol! :lol: Actually, never seen sp. I don't even care about it frankly. And I even care less for it now from all the talk about the so so AI. All I care about really is the mp. Was playin co-op online with some buds last night using battlelan. LOL no internet demo haha jokes on GRIN. Thanks goodness for battlelan! :thumbsup:

Speak of the devil.. was just playing, holding a corner against heavy enemy fire, when my SAW gunner charges out in a full run, knocking me from my aim and from cover. He stops about 4 feet in in the middle of the open and at a full standing postion, starts taking pot shots.

"Oww, I've been shot!"

:huh:

"Capt. I've been hit!'

<_<

"Capt. I'm wounded!"

:angry:

"Man down!"

:wall:

GEE YA THINK!!!!

:stupid:

Rocky........

the demo is out. 

I'm just asking that you give an unbiased, and frank assessment. 

When GR was released 5 years ago, the first thing I said to Jester when he eagerly Pm'd me for my opinion of the Demo (back then Ubi sent me the demo a little early), I told him it did not look good. I'd played it for about half an hour and wasn't impressed. Point being - look how wrong I was then, and how wrong I would probably be if I posted my thoughts based on 3 of hours playing (yes, that's all I have managed).

Having said that, I can't help myself. :P

Early opinions tend bad because people usually quickly spot the stuff that is poor, and have not yet played long enough to taste the gameplay. So it's with that in mind I would report there are a few things that a really annoying me with this game and it does disapoint me that they made it past all the testing and the beta testers. Those items are already documented elsewhere in this forum, like the prone issue for example, or the whole game ending in coop when the leader dies. I feel sure they will probably be addressed in the first patch though, or as an option in the full game.

The game engine seems like it demands A LOT of your PC, and on the basis of the demo, I hope the full game delivers a bit more for all that power. The graphics retain the originals gritty feel - but have they went just a bit too bland with the colours? Should people with high end PC's really only expect mid range FPS? Should they expect to sacrifice anti-aliasing for HDR? Again, hopefully these are things can be be addressed in a patch and/or improved drivers.

I do really like the ease of commanding your team, a simple click and roll of the mouse wheel - that is fast and efficient. Although on the other hand selecting your secondary weapon or frags would seem to be one click too many. A fidgety scroll of the mousewheel to select your secondary weapon is going to be a test of my digital dexterity just when I run out of primary ammo. Practice or a patch will fix that though.

Some of the weapon models are quite impressive, I've been caught out checking them out in close up once or twice.

The character models look good to me, although the lighting sometimes seems a bit harsh, they almost look like characters pasted onto a background instead of actually being in the scene. When they are in a shaded area they look better to me, in the bright sunlight the camo almost shouts out "here, I am over here!!" I saw someone post a way to tweak the colour saturation using card settings though, so I guess it's down to personal preference.

Some of the character animation looks a little stiff above the waist, the running movement is very cool though, they nailed that.

Loving the sound though, incoming fire is great as it rattles off the brickwork next to you sending dust and grit flying.

I think I experienced some random enemy placement which will add to replayability, or maybe it was just me getting lost :P

Overall I can't wait to get stuck into the game proper, it is a fun session, and it is a challenge. The final version will hopefully be tweaked a bit for performance, and include some fixes to the issues that are all over the forum today. So I reserve judgement until the full game is out - this demo is a couple of version numbers at least off the final retail version, so time will tell.

A RARE GEM :D

Just played the demo for a couple of hours and this game is simply wonderful as far as gameplay is concerned. It is actually an enjoyable simulation. I am loving every minute of it.

AI - Both enemy as well as friendly AI are excellent. It is the best AI I have ever seen and that too by a distance.

Gameplay- Very good and smooth. Almost everything are as they should be. Atlast, we have got a game where the true emphasis is on gameplay.

Sound- Again the answer is very predictable --- it is excellent. The only problem I am having is -- I am not liking the music in the middle of some firefights, but there seems to be no option to turn off the music.

Squad Command- Again, very good. I am loving the quick orders by using the cross-com. I have to cultivate the tac-map a bit more but it seems very good.

Graphics- I can't form a clear idea from my rather low-end rig. But the lack of AA is bothering me. Also, the lighting seems a bit odd.

Scalability- Rather limited. I was expecting the game to be more scalable, with lots of things that can be adjusted, like AA, vertical sync etc.

Map and level design- The level design is very good. The demo map seems a bit more linear than I expected. I am sure, the full version will be much more non-linear.

Bugs and major problems- Nothing serious so far. The framerate is quite ok and I am not having any mouse lag. I will write about any problems, if and when they arise later.

Effects and physics- Very good.

Thank you Grin for a job well done. This game is a rare gem. :grin1:

Sound- Again the answer is very predictable --- it is excellent. The only problem I am having is -- I am not liking the music in the middle of some firefights, but there seems to be no option to turn off the music.

In advanced sound options you can turn the game music down :thumbsup:

Hey All,

The Game looks great but it seems to feel a little sluggish when I am playing. I have even turned the settings down and still runs sluggish.

My system

AMD athlon 64 3000+

GeForce 6600 256Mbps

1Gig of Ram

Audigy SB ZS

10,000RPM Raptor HD

Do I need to upgrade my PC to be able to play this or do I need to tweak something??

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hey DD, I have similar issues at the moment with this Demo, my spec.'s are pretty solid and can run Doom, FEAR and Far Cry turned up to full. I will try and tinker with my set up slightly, but is a concern when quite a few players with good to decent set ups are having slow FPS.

Did you run UBI's system test for GRAW? Not that it will indicate anything, I did and I scored very well.

I would make sure that background programs are off and turn all settings to low to see if you get any improvement. I am going to overclock a few things to see if I get yardage. Some feedback from others suggests that they are having no issues and that we may have poor systems or have hardware knowledge issues.

This is my 10th rig and I am a fully qualified Electronic Technician with 8 years in the industry. I know when a game is sucking my rig dry! I thought my own issue is most likely my CPU and additional RAM, but after seeing others spec's who report problems, I am worried.

Looks like some of us are stuck with this choppy play, upgrading without knowing where the problem lies can be very costly and frustrating, especially when your system can handle other high spec. titles.

I am not convinced so far and I am concerned that UBI's spec. system test has misled many of us :(

The game is good, havent figured out how to gain more control over youre team.

The game runs flawlessly, everything cranked.

64-3200

1536 ram

Audigy 2 gamer

Maxtor 160

Ati800xl

Monitor 26inch Olevia max res 1280x1024 (This is key to some peeps slow downs)

The game has been well thought out and seems to hold all the things I had wished it be. Though I haven't experimented with all the things that could annoy me.

The wait was well worth it and hope that you all work out your bugs, but I have yet to get any.........

Here is a new one

Dud grenades from my GL?

I shot at a car...big explosion....nice

I shot at it again....more boom boom...nice

I shot at a 3rd time....my nade landed on the ground...and just rolled from side to side kicking up dust.

hmm

shot at the ground right be my feet....same thing.

Shot at wall 5 ft in front of me.....BOINK....same thing

Am I not allowed to FRAG myself? Some kind of safety issue?

HACK

Here is a new one

Dud grenades from my GL?

I shot at a car...big explosion....nice

I shot at it again....more boom boom...nice

I shot at a 3rd time....my nade landed on the ground...and just rolled from side to side kicking up dust.

hmm

shot at the ground right be my feet....same thing.

Shot at wall 5 ft in front of me.....BOINK....same thing

Am I not allowed to FRAG myself?  Some kind of safety issue?

HACK

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I just finished playing the new GRAW demo.. I have been playing GR for years in multiplayer play.. and while i must say this appears to be a decent game.. it doesn't hold a candle to the old gr... the movements are BF2-like... which is why i never played BF 2 in the first place. It appears that the strongest attribute of GR, the movement and gun use, has been taken out of GRAW. I was hoping to see the original GR with better graphics.. instead it is BF2 with different scenery. Again, not a bad game, but not GR either. It probably shouldn't even carry the Ghost Recon name. Just my opinion, everyone has one. To those who are in love with the graphics, they are nice.

I played with auto-reload off and couldn't hear the sound of the trigger being pulled when I ran out of bullets ("dead man's click"). Is it just me? That's what usually alerts me that I'm out of ammo.

On a more important note gameplay-wise, I agree that there should be quick keys for weapon changes -- the current system takes too long, and it's not very precise with the mouse wheel. Also the crosshair takes way too long to close and open up too much much with even a small movement of the mouse, I personally didn't like it at all.

Graphics-wise, I think the lighting and general effects look great, but the lack of anti-aliasing sucks, there are way too many jaggies, and at longer ranges it's really hard to see.

Edited by SAF_Night Scope

I'm not having any of the problems you guys have posted, from install to the end of the map has been smooth for me. I have all my settings maxed I use my EAX and screen res at 1280 x 1024. I use the same keys for GRAW that I did for GR1. Using the Number keypad helps when changing weapons and opening doors while Ctrl is used for zooming in, arrow keys for movement, , and . for left and right peek all my keys are within fingertips tap ...close together the closer they are together the faster you can react. I use delete to reload. This is the best setup for me... I've played this way since the first rainbow six came out.

I cannot play the game. Heres my PC specs:

GeForce FX5500 256MB AGP8

Kingston PC-3200 DDR400 1GB

AMD Athlon 64 bit 3200+

I cant play the game at all. No problem loading the starting page. But when click play, i cant see nothing, all in pitch black, i can hear voice and the small screen on my upper right screen. It also lag very bad even when i run at lowest setting and resolution set to 800x600.

I bet this is only due to vid card. Guys need some help, is it okay if i buy ATI Radeon X1600Pro 256MB DDR2 AGP8 for this game. Can this card take it?

---danish

Yes - you should get slightly better performance than my X800pro 256 AGP. And mine runs fairly well with forced AA on. I do get a long initial load time at the 'black screen' after the intro screens however (1 min or so) before the game main menu comes up. maybe this is demo specific?

The video card you have does not meet the minimum requirements. It has to do with the shaders of that card. If you buy the card you mentioned, you would have no issues at all with the card side of things. Good luck and hope you get it worked out.

YAY!!! i will buy the new vid card today and i will send back the feedback for this game!! thx a lot man. Appreciate it.

---danish

I cannot play the game. Heres my PC specs:

GeForce FX5500 256MB AGP8

Kingston PC-3200 DDR400 1GB

AMD Athlon 64 bit 3200+

I cant play the game at all. No problem loading the starting page. But when click play, i cant see nothing, all in pitch black, i can hear voice and the small screen on my upper right screen. It also lag very bad even when i run at lowest setting and resolution set to 800x600.

I bet this is only due to vid card. Guys need some help, is it okay if i buy ATI Radeon X1600Pro 256MB DDR2 AGP8 for this game. Can this card take it?

---danish

Yes - you should get slightly better performance than my X800pro 256 AGP. And mine runs fairly well with forced AA on. I do get a long initial load time at the 'black screen' after the intro screens however (1 min or so) before the game main menu comes up. maybe this is demo specific?

I think your card is better tham mine cause for my vid card the pitch black was there and it was lagging real bad. I will buy a new vid card the ATI Radeon X1600Pro 256MB DDR AGP8 today and i will test it again with the game.

LOL guys, do i deserve as a hardcore pc gamer???

---danish

GRIN please remap the weapon switch keys!

maybe  1, 2 ,3 ,4 ...

then move whats currently mapped to those to the F1 F2.... keys

I got killed soo many times changing weapons :(

Actually I don't care now... I've kinda gotten used to it :lol:

Controls are but a minor issue that only takes some getting used to. People complain too much.

The gameplay is solid for me. I only played a little of Ghost Recon, but I've been playing with guys who played GR for years and they all love it.

Guess just depends on what people were expecting. @malt. It does not feel anything like Bf2 to me. For one thing, I'm not getting constantly blown up by jets. You move a lot slower. It's a lot harder to aim. It takes less shots to die, etc etc etc.

The only issue I have is with the co-op. Whereas I'd expect any game that let 4 humans work together against AI to be difficult, the lack of saves / checkpoints is just absurd. I'm not playing through an hour long mission with a team only to have some jackass under an overhang who didn't show up on the satelite pop out and nail me right as we get to the end.

It's funny. I know I'll want to replay the missions again and again. I've slid down that damn helicopter like 20 times, but I don't want to be forced to replay it just because I died the round before.

Edited by luger
It's a safety device. 40mm grenades won't go off under around 15m.

If you've played with a M203 in America's Army.. or Real Life  :P, you'll be glad when the thing duds when you hit sometihing a bit close.

Well..that makes sense for real life...but in game....it was always are fastest way to say...ok..you win this round....lets restart. :D

:g_withgrin:

HACK