FULL GAME FEEDBACK ONLY

Despite my "it isn't GR" naysaying, the horizons no longer so dark. The lack of mod tools is killing me right now :P, but I guess I'll survive a month (unless someone else beats em to it!). And while the game still doesn't have 'IT', I'm beginning to think that 'it' might just be on the way :)

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite my "it isn't GR" naysaying, the horizons no longer so dark.  The lack of mod tools is killing me right now :P, but I guess I'll survive a month (unless someone else beats em to it!).  And while the game still doesn't have 'IT', I'm beginning to think that 'it' might just be on the way  :)

Comments like that from people like DM, make me gald that I picked up my copy today. Thank you sir. :grin1:

i am really enjoying the SP campaign (will do MP later, once i'm satisfied with my skills) and GRIN has done a great job :thumbsup:

i'm not going to compare it to GR1 or the others because they are all part of the same series and GRAW is an extension of the previous games, not in competition with them.

the pacing of the story is good and the AI is very good (they are also put in very good spots in SP). the graphics look great on my comp (p4 2.6ghz, all in wonder x800xt 256mb) and i'm able to play with texture settings on high (tweaked the render_settings), but i had to put the post effects on low, works and looks fine for me.

if anyone from GRIN happens to read this post, i will only ask that they could add some more weapon choices in SP and MP (like the m4, sa80, etc.) and skins like the ones used in GRAW on the 360. would love to do this campaign again, but some new skins and extra weapons will go a long way in making the experience better the second go around :rocky: .

i truly love this game and it is great, it's worthy of the GR series.

great game!

needs the option to turn diffuse lighting off and apply Anti-Aliasing with a bloom effect!

and also needs co-op for internet play! it would be great to jump on dedicated servers running co-op :)

and needs respawns or a checkpoint for co-op

alright review time....

i woke up today around 330 only to recieve a call from my local gamestop saying that they had the game ready for me. i was overjoyed so i went there as quickly as possible to pick it up and went home to install....

as the game loaded up, it was remiscent to the demo but obviously it was the full version, i was eager to try to MP out first so i logged onto gamespy. It was quite fustrating at times....gamespy would log me out and then my connection would be lost for some reason and then they said that my cd-key was invalid. i was really fustrated trying to get everything up and working. But when it does work it is fun and enjoyable in both COOP and Domination.

SP is the same as well but i find MP more enjoyable due to the fact that your actually playing with real people instead of AIs that you cant always depend on.

i hope that grin or ubi will fix some of the MP bugs but other than that, the game looks great and well worth the 5 year wait

9/10

A few missions in and I'm bored already. And sick and tired of checkpoints, this game needed quick saves. The wait wasn't worth it to me, unlike what UBI said last year when GR2 was cancelled. Maybe more thoughts later, but as it stands right now I'm throughly disappointed.

GR4 PC (if there is one) needs Red Storm back, enough said.

i am really enjoying the SP campaign (will do MP later, once i'm satisfied with my skills) and GRIN has done a great job :thumbsup:

i'm not going to compare it to GR1 or the others because they are all part of the same series and GRAW is an extension of the previous games, not in competition with them.

the pacing of the story is good and the AI is very good (they are also put in very good spots in SP). the graphics look great on my comp (p4 2.6ghz, all in wonder x800xt 256mb) and i'm able to play with texture settings on high (tweaked the render_settings), but i had to put the post effects on low, works and looks fine for me.

if anyone from GRIN happens to read this post, i will only ask that they could add some more weapon choices in SP and MP (like the m4, sa80, etc.) and skins like the ones used in GRAW on the 360. would love to do this campaign again, but some new skins and extra weapons will go a long way in making the experience better the second go around :rocky: .

i truly love this game and it is great, it's worthy of the GR series.

I'm waiting on this card in the mail.. It's the highest I can put in my pc, without a complete upgrade, (which I cannot afford right now) Cannot play GRAW yet... Happy it's running good for you...

Edited by Stormin

A better game Single Player wise out of the box than GR1 was when it was origionally released . Needs more gametypes in multiplayer though.

I look forward to the June patch, untill then I'll be playing single player and co-op on my LAN.

:o=

A few missions in and I'm bored already.  And sick and tired of checkpoints, this game needed quick saves.  The wait wasn't worth it to me, unlike what UBI said last year when GR2 was cancelled.  Maybe more thoughts later, but as it stands right now I'm throughly disappointed.

After five missions in GR1 i got bored and throw'd game where all the games are, until GR3 was announced, just then i picked it back and played it to the end, including Expansion just to train for Graw, but that weirdo Freaking Sniper-zoom was horrible! and i LOVE Graw in everyway! it amaze me everyday and i thing its much better than [GR], even without MP, its shines in SP!

GRAW 8.9/10

[GR] 6.7/10

(I hardly never givea 10/10 to ANY game :P)

Edited by capteenix

Not gonna score it yet, still learning and I aint got a top spec rig that let's me wallow in the graphics but, from what I've seen, I reckon it's a worthy of the name, Ghost Recon.

When the patches and mod guys do their work there will nothing to touch it, except GR4 maybe :whistle:

Nice job Grin.

Mike.

A few missions in and I'm bored already.  And sick and tired of checkpoints, this game needed quick saves.  The wait wasn't worth it to me, unlike what UBI said last year when GR2 was cancelled.  Maybe more thoughts later, but as it stands right now I'm throughly disappointed.

Wow! Would have never guessed you'd be saying that about GRAW. Oh well I'm so disappointed I never even bought the game. :(

I love it!!! The only thing I have a question on is my pc. How do I free up more RAM? I have 1.5g total but @ 1 available. Will it make a difference or do I even need to worry about it??? The game plays great, I get skips in the audio with the video feed in the upper right hand corner at the begining of a mission or restarting one. Otherwise no problems yet. Thanks in advance.

I love it. To me, it still has the [GR] feel. I find myself leaning in my chair when I peek corners and I expect a tango at every turn (in SP that is). DOM is a bit of a dissapointment as none of my clan has yet to get the game and all the servers I've been in are run-n-gun (or run, dive, walk and gun). No tactical playing that I've noticed. I expect when the clan joins up, it will be more fun...

Muzzle, I run only 1 gig memory and hitting 35-60 FPS averaging 45-50 per Fraps with screen res of 1280x1024, medium textures (as I have only a 256mb card), and high effects and dynamic shadows. No jumping or skipping after the 1st 10 seconds of a mission as well. I don't know that you need to free up more memory...

[P4 3.4 HT, 7800GTX 256meg mem, Audigy2, 1gig cheapie memory]

Edited by FWF.Osteo

I love the game as well! Gets a 9 of 10 from me. Excellent GFX (lighting, animations, models, etc), excellent sound, very nice level design, but sometimes a little too linear (gameplay decision I guess), good AI (often very good, sometimes frustating, in the average "good"), very nice physics, lots of love for small details (bullets visible in mags etc.).

I would have given it a 10/10 score if the game had 2 or 3 points from my "wishlist" post. http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php...95entry369495

Edited by agentkay

Amazed that I'm able to run it on a 1.69 ghz-512mb-ATI X800 256mb at 1024X768 on medium settings relatively smoothly! Getting better aiming with the scope...now there's a new skill. Only bitc_(geez guys) is the no quick save...knock off everybody...then have to start over 'cause somebody we overlooked doesn't let us get back to our mommies at the checkpoint save. A bit disappointed with the graphics...but will look into a bleeding edge system soon.

Edited by lesterribles

How do I free up more RAM? I have 1.5g total but @ 1 available.

To free ram I use Enditall, very user friendly and effective.

http://htmole.altervista.org/info/enditall.htm

BTW, I have only 1gb (after enditall task manager says +/- 170mb used) and no swaps or memory related problems. I have a 256mb VC and run 1024x768 textures on med, no real time shadows and low post effects, all others options on high, AF 16X.

Edited by =3dS=rOOk

The writers perspective

First i'll give you a little info on the writers perspective, and it might help to put context to my view of the game. I've played gr1 from day 1, having played all the original rainbow six through in sp. I then joined a small Lan group, who pretty much played all the co-op of GR and add on packs, and some mod missions. We got boared with the 'red dot' enemy locator, making it too easy, and moved on (back) to OPF. We have been playing with OPF since then.

FPS. Lighting, AA

Fps is not a problem with my setup, @1280x1024. But I don't have the option of 1600x1200. GRIN have compromised AA for 'dynamic lighting' effects. Its a bad compromise in my opinion. For immersion factor, objects must look sharp distant as well as close up. The lighting simply does to compensate for the lack of AA in terms of 'immersion especially in distant objects. FEAR and HL2 score very high on this 'immersion factor'. Fear also manages to retain excellent lighting effects.

Other Visuals

Night vision is good, saturating easily in bright conditions. The Shoot cue is however difficult to see in night mode, and also in day mode. There could be an option to change the brightness or colour of this, as in most other fPS games.

With full lighting, there's too much difference betwee light and dark areas. In real life if your in an open area in the sun, then dark alleways look pretty dark. But if you walk into the alleyway then you pupil dilates, and you can see more. And if you look back to the bright street, you get saturation. Whats all this fancy lighting stuff for if it cant do that. i tried the gamma, but it made the bright stuff just silly. So i turned down the dynamic shadows, and lighting, and now its a bit better.

Heady Mission starts.

For seasoned players of this genre, i recon these are way overkill, and pretty boaring, after first one. But hey, I have only seen two.

Mission Maps, and architecture

This is where the game really shines. Fantastic urban terrain, both close up and distant.(imagine with AA!) Its an FPS's dream world. Gritty, complex, interesting. I can see how this could be so much fun for clans, in closed multiplayer sessions.

Icing on the cake would be to be able to go into buildings, for example to be able to go to the roof to take out that entrenched sniper. (maybe can ?)

Team AI,

Well they are pretty much loose cannons. GR1 had much more control over how they react. Found the best way so far to manage them was individual movements, placing. Don't let them work as a team unless you are just reeling them in. And even there, care is needed, since they will choose the shortest way to get to you, which might expose them uncovered to enemies. Think the selection with the mouse is excellent, and you get used to it quickly. Havent tried commands with my Voice software yet, but given the limited optoions, im sure it will be effective.

Enemy AI,

Its better than Lockdown, but not as good as FEAR. They seem to have a wider range of movement, but generally take a defensive stance, and dont appear to close in on your position after you blown cover then stopped firing. There's scope to allow them to move more freely through the maps and making them more agressive, rather than just pace their chosen waypoints. I suspect that this can be improved, if they have a decent triger based system in the background. They also seem to be much too easy to kill, compared with the player, or the team AI.

I really like the shooters on the top of buildings, but once again, they are much too easy to kill. If they were real snipers, you would not see head and shoulders when they were taking a pot shot at you.

Strategy

Well it sadly lacks this. Since all the modern comms, and HUD cues tell you what to do, the only real strategy employed, is in the use of your team, and their placement as you go forward. The layout of hte maps however, do help a little here, and there's generally several ways to approach a particular problem. The use of the overhead map view spoils any truly startegic approach to game play, and also takes from the surprise element out. I usually measure strategy in a game by how much you have to use your shooting skills, relative to using you head to achieve an objective. So far there's been little use of the brain in acheiving objectives in GRAW.

Dynamic Scripting.

Like all other FPS shooters before it, GRAW is still very scripted. Once you tried the map, and got killed, next time you know exactly where the flashpoints are. Would it be nice to retry the mission, with enemies in completely different locations, and configurations each time. I know multiplayer can do this, but we don't all play multiplay all of the time.

Head movement.

Im a proponent of TIR, to map had movements, and believe there's huge opportuhity in thsi genre of game. OPF has been acknowledged as being the best war FPS/strategy shooter to date, one of its features, is the ability to look left or right as you traverse terrain. GRIN have missed a huge opportunity here. This game more than any other ive seen to date, cries out for it. Especially with the way you can be attacked from different angles, both in the vertical and horizontal planes.

Multiplayer

I havent played this part of the game yet. But will add the comment when i do.

Conclusion

Its a game designed for consoles (and i dont think consoles are suitable for 'accurate shooters, due to the limitation of the input devices), and adapted for PC. It attempts to improve the graphics boundaries, but has traded off poorly, and lost immersion in the process. Its maps are huge varied, and very realistic, with endless possibilities. The AI, both team and enemy are unimpressive, given the the processing power of modern equipment. It moves further away from the 'stragegy' based GR1, and more into the FPS, and this will appeal to the large console market. This is not a criticism, and observation.

It falls down in my option, in the way many of the current games do, in chasing the visuals, rather than the gameplay. And due ot its lack of AA support it does not even achieve this. When i've finished the campaign with/without multiplay, will i be inclined to go back to play some of the missions again? Like HL2, and FEAR, i believe it will sit dormont on my harddrive...and alas i will return to the 2001 OPF.

FS Autostart works better than Enditall does.  Google it and check it out, it was originally made for the flight sim community, but you can use it on any game.  It's much more easy to program than enditall is.

Tried both, I stick with enditall, but is a personal taste ;)

Yeah I agree with Fish44 about the AI in FEAR.... They are simply amazing. I've played through the entire about three times now and the AI does different thing each time I play it through. Some will reatreat if you are beating them in a firefight - I've even seen some AI hiding from me in FEAR (I thought all the enemies where dead, until I saw one peeking over the top of this obstacle at me! He'd been there for a good five minutes before I'd noticed him). And in the warehouse in the docks.... simply awesome, I attcked the AI outside in a frontal assualt, and they returned fire, I leapt back into cover, In the corner of my eye, I caught of glimpse of what appeared to enemy soldiers attempting to outflankt me - they were headed to the side door of the warehouse (they didn't do that last time I played through FEAR). The side door on the warehouse is jammed about 3 quarters of the way down and you need to duck to go under it. Surely they won't get under there, they're AI. That's what I told myself. I legged it round the inside to the side door, and there they were crawling under the door!! I've aslo seen FEAR AI pull objects such as shelf units over to give themselves some cover! Then I shot one of them when I was hiding, and his AI mate standing next to him was looking around too see where the shot came from (I heard the AI radio go "where the hell did that come from?"