So how many are still playing Graw2

So how many are still playing Graw2, I reinstalled my copy the other night and we have turned the SPARTA server back on, it’s just running coop for the moment, but as good as COD4 is, I and a few others missed playing Graw2.

We have even though about if we can get some interest, switching over the server to multiplayer & doing some tactical squad games. You only really need 10 to 15 but more the merrier.

Just sharing my thoughts guns41.gif

It's approximately 6 months old with 66 people in servers at this time (time being 2:06AM GMT -07:00 January 22, 2008). With the game recently becoming free I wouldn't be surprised to see a slight increase in the number of players, but I wouldn't expect that to last.

I see the "GRAW2 PC for Free" move as the final word on support for the game... namely, it's gone. I doubt we will ever see the fabled 1.05 patch.

GRAw2 was uninstalled a while back and right now I'm playing [GR] and... gulp... Soldier of Fortune - Payback. Yeah, SoF is scripted like CoD4 but not any less than GRAW2 and it's not a bad game for $29. Could be a message in there for Ubi in my humble opinion.

[GR] will live forever, I swear. It's easy for me to overlook the 2001 era graphics... [GR] still holds my attention despite playing the maps DOZENS and DOZENS of times. :)

-John K.

I see the "GRAW2 PC for Free" move as the final word on support for the game... namely, it's gone. I doubt we will ever see the fabled 1.05 patch.
It also kills any thought of a future expansion pack.

Hmm.... I wonder.

Let's put the thinking hat on for a moment. Giving the game away is like giving the razor away... if they can use the "freebie" deal to build the base of players, it gives them a bigger customer base to buy an expansion pack (thus buy the razor blades).

Could there be a positive somewhere in this recent decision, or are we just like usual.... blinded to reality by our desire to have a better product?

-John K.

Hmm.... I wonder.

Let's put the thinking hat on for a moment. Giving the game away is like giving the razor away... if they can use the "freebie" deal to build the base of players, it gives them a bigger customer base to buy an expansion pack (thus buy the razor blades).

Could there be a positive somewhere in this recent decision, or are we just like usual.... blinded to reality by our desire to have a better product?

-John K.

way to stay positive, but i think you got that hat on backwards... for starters, it's not free, not even to the existing FP members; only to new subscribers with a 1-year deal. naturally, it all comes down to cold hard cash. if the game is collecting dust on the store shelves, let's sell it another way. less profit is still profit. as far as building the player base and then hitting it with an expansion pack, i wish there was some truth to that... the fact is, out of dozens of thousands of people that bought the game and actually tried it online, only a few dozen stayed. GRAW2 MP should be in the encyclopedia under Failure. odds are that out of a couple of hundred suckers that decide to go with File Planet, maybe a couple will stay playing online...

another important detail is the "player quality" so to speak. experienced, dedicated team players have all uninstalled the game a long time ago. the people you'll see playing today are the leftovers of noobs that have never heard of [GR], or a tactical shooter for that matter. what's funny is they are utterly terrible at run'n'gunning as well. it's just sad.

Hmm.... I wonder.

-John K.

way to stay positive, but i think you got that hat on backwards... for starters, it's not free, not even to the existing FP members; only to new subscribers with a 1-year deal. naturally, it all comes down to cold hard cash. if the game is collecting dust on the store shelves, let's sell it another way. less profit is still profit. as far as building the player base and then hitting it with an expansion pack, i wish there was some truth to that... the fact is, out of dozens of thousands of people that bought the game and actually tried it online, only a few dozen stayed. GRAW2 MP should be in the encyclopedia under Failure. odds are that out of a couple of hundred suckers that decide to go with File Planet, maybe a couple will stay playing online...

another important detail is the "player quality" so to speak. experienced, dedicated team players have all uninstalled the game a long time ago. the people you'll see playing today are the leftovers of noobs that have never heard of [GR], or a tactical shooter for that matter. what's funny is they are utterly terrible at run'n'gunning as well. it's just sad.

I haven't uninstalled mine, doubt that i will. I found it fun. Just waiting fo the patch to get a little more life in it. Should be soon... i remember something in the beginning of the month about a bug found in it... and it was sent back to testing and may be by the end of this month.

Anyone want to bet on a date? I'll take next Wed. The 30th

Hmm.... I wonder.

-John K.

Don't ever say I didn't try (once in a while) to stay positive! :)

You are right, of course. It isn't free. And that will be a barrier.

I'm still of the opinion that we will never see the light of day on patch 1.05. Ubi/GRiN has moved on... and if we get Patch 1.05 it will be just a few minor fixes, no new maps, no major fixes, etc. I think getting our hopes up for 1.05 to include new content is just setting ourselves up for massive let-down. Sorry, another massive let-down.

-John K.

Hmm.... I wonder.

-John K.

Don't ever say I didn't try (once in a while) to stay positive! :)

You are right, of course. It isn't free. And that will be a barrier.

I'm still of the opinion that we will never see the light of day on patch 1.05. Ubi/GRiN has moved on... and if we get Patch 1.05 it will be just a few minor fixes, no new maps, no major fixes, etc. I think getting our hopes up for 1.05 to include new content is just setting ourselves up for massive let-down. Sorry, another massive let-down.

-John K.

I wouldn't say moved on... Check around for Wolfsongs mod. (aka Grin Wolfsong...) I think i saw it has 106 weapon's kits ! And new classes.

...another important detail is the "player quality" so to speak. experienced, dedicated team players have all uninstalled the game a long time ago. the people you'll see playing today are the leftovers of noobs that have never heard of [GR], or a tactical shooter for that matter. what's funny is they are utterly terrible at run'n'gunning as well. it's just sad.

Ah.... good.

Now I can play again. :D

Slow