Colin

4 - PC / SP / MP

Minimum specs required to run:

2 GHz Pentium® IV or the equivalent

1Gb RAM

5 GB of hard drive space

NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6/7 or ATI® Radeon® 9600-9800/X

well that leaves me out. enjoy the game fellas

i rather spend money on other things then to upgrade a PC everytime a new video game comes out.

maybe this is why the PC game market is dieing.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to ease peoples pain a little... You can get GeForce 6xxx cards very cheap now. Also, not to be rude but I am with the above poster. I have a AMDXP2800, 1 gig of RAM, and a GeForce 6800GT and I couldnt run fear at 90% full detail... Maybe it I was playing at 800x600 or something... Even thats a maybe though to be quite honest.

As with all newer games, some people are forced to upgrade their hardware if they want to play. Asking for a GF6xxx to play the game is not an unrealistic expectation.

My specs:

Dell Dimension 8200

Windows XP

P4 2.0g--400 FSB

128mb Nvidia 6800 AGP 4x video card

768 mb RDRAM memory (will be 1.5gb---memory is in route)

19' LCD widescreen monitor with a native resolution set at 1440x900 @60hz

With that, I'm gonna be putting my vid card though its paces. Gonna either open all pipes and shaders and or OCing as well. Doing the 3DMark tests in between all changes so I could see what works best.

There are a lot of good detailed guides regarding the 6800 in particular. PM me if anyone wants the links.

Cheers!

Fresh

Just to ease peoples pain a little... You can get GeForce 6xxx cards very cheap now. Also, not to be rude but I am with the above poster. I have a AMDXP2800, 1 gig of RAM, and a GeForce 6800GT and I couldnt run fear at 90% full detail... Maybe it I was playing at 800x600 or something... Even thats a maybe though to be quite honest.

I played FEAR with a similar system maxed out (except volumetric lights at med, and softshadows off) at 1280x960 with 8AF. I guess I have higher tolerance for lower FPS or you had bad drivers or had too much junk installed which slowed down your system.

The 6-series cards are still good cards and will play this game twice as fast as ATIs 9-series cards, since they are obviously a generation apart.

Edited by agentkay

Some of you may be in a situation where you need to upgrade your system order to run the game at all. If you're one of these people and you're not sure what to buy, here's what I'd recommend:

Video APG Systems

Sadly AGP is on it's last legs and the only decent video cards left for this platform cost more than thier PCI Express siblings of the same name. If you can afford it, Upgrade to a PCI Express system now. If you can't, you still have a few decent options. Keep in mind the amount of memory the video card has means very little performance wise, it's the GPU that provides all the grunt. In the limited AGP market, it's best to buy the fasted card you can afford as performance scales quite evenly compared to price for the following cards.

$130: Nvidia Geforce 128MB 6600GT

$150: Nvidia Geforce 128MB 6800

$190: Nvidia Geforce 256MB 6800GT - best price<>performance card of the lot

$280: Nvidia Geforce 256MB 7800GS - Consider selling off your AGP parts and aiming for PCIe

I used the lowest prices I could source from NewEgg or Anandtech's Pricing engine. Current as of April 21st.

No, I didn't leave ATI out by mistake. All of the X8XX AGP cards are near or over $300 now and just aren't worth that much money performance wise compared to the price that the above Nvidia cards can be found for.

The "512MB Gainward BLISS 7800GS Goes Like Hell!" (yes, that's it's full name) is the fastest AGP card on the market and will likely be the fastest AGP card every made. It's actually a 7800GT GPU with a PCIe bridge chip slapped on an AGP board. However, It's not currently on sale in the US/AU/NZ but I've heard it's avaliable in Europe. I couldn't find a price, it's likely to be stupidly expensive though, but thought it worth a mention all the same.

I'll also say this again because it it's important: If you can, sell off your old AGP bound parts and step up to PCI Express. All of the PCIe cards are cheaper than their AGP brothers and sisters and you'll have better upgrade options in the future because of it.

Video for PCI Systems

The PCI Express video landscape scales a little different from the AGP one price<>performance wise. I still recommend getting the best you can afford from the following list, however the cards highlighted in green are extreamly good value for money. If your budget comes just shy of these cards, I highly recomend saving for an extra week or so to get one.

$115: Nvidia Geforce 128MB 6600GT

$120: Nvidia Geforce 256MB 7600GS

$130: Nvidia Geforce 128MB 6800

$170: Nvidia Geforce 256MB 7600GT - Highly Recommended for the price

$220 ATI Radeon 256MB X1800GTO

$280 ATI Radeon 256MB X1800XT

$300 Nvidia Geforce 256MB 7900GT

$440 ATI Radeon 512MB X1900XT

No, I'm not recommending the 7900GTX, the X1900XT is faster and can be found cheaper If you have the cash, the X1900XT (or XTX) is the way to go. The choice between an X1800XT and a 7900GT is a little tough. Nvidia's 7900GT is generally faster than the ATI card in all bar a few titles. If you're an avid Oblivion fan then the X1800XT might be a better choice. It will be interesting to see how these two cards stack up against each other in GRAW - I just wouldn't feel confident to pick a victor of the two wihtout benchmarks to backup my claims. If it helps any, I have a 7900GT myself.

The GeForce 7600GT is an exelent performing card for the price. Definatly the best value for money of any video card on the market at the present time.

Nothing for under $100? No. The cheaper cards just aren't worth spending money on, you're better off saving it or spending it elsewhere. GRAW is a modern PC game, you will need modern hardware to enjoy it.

Memory & RAM

If you have less than 1Gb of RAM you will need to upgrade. Minimum RAM specs aren't to be scoffed at. You might be able to run the game with less and get a decent framerate if you stand still or don't move around very much, but it will likely stutter like hell once you start to move about the maps. Running out of RAM whilst playing a game will cause stuttering and infrequent pauses where your fps will drop into the single digits (possibly even appear to lock-up) for several seconds as data is paged to and from the hard disk.

However, if you already have 1Gb of RAM I would encourage you to wait for a demo to be released. RAM only really matters when you *haven't* got enough of it. If the game funs find with 1Gb, upgrading to 2Gb probably won't offer any increase in performance bar faster map load times. If you run a lot of backgorund programs or have a poorly configured/maintained OS (you know who you are), you might need more than 1Gb.

I'm not going to offer much advice for brands or types of memory upgrades. If you're not sure about memory then it's best to leave it in the hands of someone who does. Memory conflicts or general computer instability introduced by poor or ill-informed choice in components when upgrading your memory can be the most difficult thing to troubleshoot.

I'm also not fully up to speed up on Intel chipsets, their memory controllers and DDR2 as I mostly deal with AMD systems.

AMD on the other hand....

Note to AMD 64 users:

AMD 64 chips have the memory controller built into the CPU. This can and will dictate your memory configuration options. If you're thinking about upgrading the amount of RAM you have, for the love of NATO, do some research first!

Most of you probably have 2 PC3200+ DDR DIMMs running in dual channel mode at 400MHz. Some AMD 64 cores don't support 4 DIMMs in dual channel mode (the Venice or later cores do) and even the ones that do will only run 4 DIMMs in dual channel mode at 333MHz. Thus upgrading from 2x512MB (1Gb) to 4x512MB (2Gb) will increase the amount of RAM but could reduce your overall memory bandwidth, which is *may* have a bigger negative impact on performance than the amount of RAM overall.

If you have your mainboard manual (or can download it from the makers website) they usually provide easily readable tables showing the available memory/slot configurations and how they will operate (Dual or Single Channel - 400 or 333 MHz) when different types of modules installed in the various slots.

You can run 4xSIMMs in dual channel mode at 400MHz but SIMMs (Single Sided Memory Modules - they only have chips on one side of the stick) are as rare as all hell. I highly doubt any one here would be using these and those of you who are should know all about this anyway.

I know very little about the Intel memory chipsets, controllers and DDR2 configurations as I only build AMD machines so I can't offer any advice in that regard. Sorry.

Important note to all:

If you upgrade anything, make sure your Power Supply Unit (PSU) can handle it!

The most common cause of system instability in modern systems is likely the result of insufficient or poor quality PSU. Modern graphics cards and CPUs are power hungry beasts, especially if you're using SLI or Crossfire. Also remember that the wattage of a PSU is not a true measure of it's quality. You'll want to pay attention to things like the amount of amps the PSU can supply to the +12V rail. You'll want 20A to 26A on that rail for modern PCIe graphics cards, upwards of 30A to 36A or more for a high end SLI setup. If your PSU has multiple +12V rails, just add the amps together to get the total rating. Stick to well know brands like Antech, Enermax, PC P&P and OCZ. Stay away from Codgen and Thermaltake.

I'm not going to touch CPUs. If you're unsure about how to upgrade your CPU you probably shouldn't be opening your computer up in the first place.

If you already have a system that meets the minimum requirements for running GRAW, please wait for the demo before you upgrade anything.

Woo... Long post. *shrug* Needed to be said. I've seen too many people fux up when buying system parts in the past and I've done it myself a few times in my younger years - it's never fun. My apologies in advance for any typos - it's late and i got up far too early today. I'll proof it tommorow.

4 - PC / SP / MP

1Gb RAM

5 GB of hard drive space

i rather spend money on other things then to upgrade a PC everytime a new video game comes out.

Have you ever tho about getting a PC that is better than games minimum specs ? Maybe thats why you have to buy something new everytime a new game comes out <_<

I think these new minimum specs just booed away some customers...

Maybe they did, but more likely these people will go out and upgrade.

I can't see peoples problem really, the reason we are still playing PC games is purely because each new generation of game Does push the envelope.

If this wasn't the case we would still be playing Manic Miner or Jet Set Willy.

The stated minimum specs are frankly what I would expect any gamer to be running nowadays. If you don't want to play the upgrade game then join the Console crowd because it has been like this for as long as I can remember and won't change as long as advances in programming and hardware continue.

A Software developer starts programming a game like GR:AW to make use of current technology and also to be adaptable enough to make use of any (forseeable) future developements. Unfortunately they can only support a certain level of Legacy hardware and specs without basically writing an entirely new version.

I had to upgrade my video card to get what I think is going to be an acceptable level of gameplay from GR:AW. Did I want to spend £250? nope, I have plenty of bills and a wife that I would rather have spent the money on but hey, if ya gotta ya gotta.

Such is life.

Coming on here and moaning really aint gonna make any difference to UBI or GRIN or to be blatantly honest any of us either.

I really don't mean to be harsh but I cant understand why people are posting up their specs and A) asking if it will run it when it obviously UNDER the Min specs Colin posted (Official UBI Min Specs). and B) telling us they aint gonna upgrade or buy the game.

im really scared to ask what you had before that frost, because those specs are blatently bad... an amd 1.6? the min. is 2.0, no luck there, unless its an athlon 2000+ (i think)

other than that you are good to go ;)

:yes: yes i know :P my machine sucks, but you don't need more to play gr don't you...

i had a gf mx440 :unsure: and 300and sumethin' drram

yes it's an athlon

on the f.e.a.r. box is says that the min. cpu specs are 2.0ghz but it works really fine(90% above 40fps)...

graw is coming out for the ps2 is it?

The AMD xp2000 runs at 1.6ghz the reason it's called xp2000 is because it's the equivilant of the P4 2ghz

Frost your CPU is the minimum so you'll be able to run it. Having said that though If you motherboard will take a higher one I'd recommend upgrading your CPU as this is the weakest link in your system.

4 - PC / SP / MP

1Gb RAM

5 GB of hard drive space

Have you ever tho about getting a PC that is better than games minimum specs ? Maybe thats why you have to buy something new everytime a new game comes out <_<

im not made of money

4 - PC / SP / MP

1Gb RAM

5 GB of hard drive space

im not made of money

I think thats its fair deal if your system is not as you would like to afford.

This game though is not just built for the hear and now, it will still be around in time for your next upgrade.

The other importent thing to remember is it is the video games indudstry that drives Hardware and its inovation.

If it was not for games like this we would still be using half Gig PCU etc.

People things move in this gameing world and fast, I dont see a problem with the min specs.

Colin

The most common cause of system instability in modern systems is likely the result of insufficient or poor quality PSU. Modern graphics cards and CPUs are power hungry beasts, especially if you're using SLI or Crossfire. Also remember that the wattage of a PSU is not a true measure of it's quality. You'll want to pay attention to things like the amount of amps the PSU can supply to the +12V rail. You'll want 20A to 26A on that rail for modern PCIe graphics cards, upwards of 30A to 36A or more for a high end SLI setup. If your PSU has multiple +12V rails, just add the amps together to get the total rating. Stick to well know brands like Antech, Enermax, PC P&P and OCZ. Stay away from Codgen and Thermaltake.

Great work Spike :grin1:

Here's the best ad up-to-date power consumption calculator ;)

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

i meet all min requirements minus the vid card, however my vid card is a gfx 5600xt and it does support 2.0 shaders.

it runs BF2 on medium settings just fine and that card was said not to be supported but only a demo will tell.

however i wasnt able to run FEAR at all. so who knows.

All i can say is dont put too much faith in the test your specs site i checked mine twice and i failed it once and these are my specs

AMD Athelon 64 4200+ dual core

4 gigs PC3200 ram

250gig x3 western digital hard drives

dual 7900gt 256mb video cards in sli

650 watt power supply

plus ALOT of other goodies

with this setup i failed it once so dont depend on that site. As Colin posted the MINIMUM specs are there for you to decide if you want to upgrade or not or to even buy the game. But consider this, if you look at the specs on most of the new games comming out they keep getting higher and higher so unless you dont want to play anything new you are gonna have to upgrade. ALOT of the specs i have seen in most of these posts are way behind the times. I understand peeps are not made of money as i surly am not but if your puter is 5 or 6 yrs old its time for a new one. If your not sure if you need to upgrade then wait for the game, play it and decide from there. And thanks to all that post the helpful and encouraging information to help out those people who need it. Heres to you :g_cheers:

Technical Information

1 – All platforms :

If you are having technical problems with your copy of Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, please contact our technical support team here: http://www.ubireg.com/uk/

4 - PC / SP / MP

1Gb RAM

5 GB of hard drive space

I expect most of you knew this already but its now official on the site.

Colin

Edited by wildbill

Just so you know... the fx series (5200 and up) has shader 2.0 support. The 6000 and 7000 has shader 3.0.

Graw may be the 1st game to implement the new shader 3.0

I just bought me a 6800GS for this game.

Everyone give a salute to the death of my TI4600 Ultra (which still runs GR1 at 120+ fps)

I am hoping my spare fx5800 i have for the server will work. anyone know the bottom needed for the server?

Just so you know... the fx series (5200 and up) has shader 2.0 support.  The 6000 and 7000 has shader 3.0. 

Graw may be the 1st game to implement the new shader 3.0

I just bought me a 6800GS for this game.

Everyone give a salute to the death of my TI4600 Ultra (which still runs GR1 at 120+ fps)

I am hoping my spare fx5800 i have for the server will work.  anyone know the bottom needed for the server?

120 FPS! :wacko: Maan, i have 6600gt, everything on full, pull 40-50fps.