GRAW PC screen and comment

I dont think anyone ever claimed the three screens from before as accuall PC screens. The file names would lead one to believe so however, but saying that I have seen the exact same ones recently on diffrent sites which refer to them as Xbox screens.

I would go with Razz's word on this one. tho it would be nice if this was cleared up on the Official forums.

EDIT:  Re reading it, mabey its exclusive to the official forum go'ers?  :wacko:

I assumed those 3 screenshots were officially from the PC version mostly because they were the ones released with the announcement of the development of GRAW for PC by GRIN (the one that leaked)... If you go to GRIN's site now in that same page you'll see the announcement and the three screens beside it.

I just wanna clear this up, sort of. We posted that was the first PC screeny beacuse that is exactly what is posted on the ubi forums by ubirazz here where he posted "here is the first exclusive screen for the Ghost Recon PC community", on Monday.

Also if you check the official site "http://www.ghostrecon.com/uk/" Mondays news item says the same thing "here is the first exclusive screen for the Ghost Recon PC community" - BUT, scroll down a few news articles and you would see this "Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter PC screenshots", from the end of June!

If anyone can explain that, I am all ears.

In the meantime I have edited my news post and changed "First" to "New"

Yeah I got it, Rocky. Thanks for explaining. :thumbsup:

They should change the last screen description from "first" to "new" as well.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is all so bizarre. For those of you keeping score, here's a play by play.

June 24 - On their website, Grin posts an acknowledgement of their work on GR3 along with 3 screen shots. The file names for the 3 screen shots indicate they are from the PC version. However, they do not bear the "PC Screen" stamp.

June 25 - The announcement and the screen shots disappear from Grin's website without any explaination.

June 27 - The announcment reappears on Grin's website as do the 3 screen shots. On the same day, Ubi posts a news item at ghostreon.com (US and UK) that is a Q&A session with Mathieu Girard, producer for GR3, along with the same 3 screen shots. The screenshots still do not bear the "PC Screen" stamp. However, if you look at the posting date for the Q&A session news item at ghostrecon.com/us, it says Friday 06.24.05, but at ghostrecon.com/uk, it says Monday 27.06.05 :wacko:

July 11 - At Ubi's official forum for GR3 PC, UbiRazz posts a link to the "first" PC Screen shot. His post also includes a quote from an un-named source stating, "here is the first exclusive screen for the Ghost Recon PC community." This information also appears as a news item at ghostrecon.com/uk, but it doesn't appear at ghostrecon.com/us until several hours later - possibly not until July 12.

July 12 - The 3 previously released screens now bear the "PC Screen" stamp at ghostecon.com. However, those 3 screenshots still do not have that stamp at Grin's website. Furthermore, Grin's site does not have the new/first/fourth PC screen.

What does all this mean? ...I spend waaaaaayyyyyy to much time looking at this stuff. :rofl:

I think those first 3 screens that had the PC extension on them were from an earlier version of the PC game or something else (even though they now have PC Version written on them @ the official site).

This new "first" picture, I believe represents what the game is truly going to look like. That is the only logical thing I can come up with.

Basically, I would pay more attention to the new photos which are going to be coming out and not those other 3.

Edited by EasyCo

I think those first 3 screens that had the PC extension on them were from an earlier version of the PC game or something else (even though they now have PC Version written on them @ the official site).

This new "first" picture, I believe represents what the game is truly going to look like. That is the only logical thing I can come up with.

Basically, I would pay more attention to the new photos which are going to be coming out and not those other 3.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Here is the official explanation Ubi sent in.

Basically it's correct in what it says ( the ubi news item, rocky) , it's the first exclusive screenshot for the Ghost Recon PC community, however it's not the first PC screenshot. It means that it's the first screenshot which is solely for the GR PC community and not for distribution elsewhere, not that it's the first screenshot in general.

Additionally

it's exclusive as in it's released to the community and the community only, it will not be released to press like the previously released screenshots.

Glad we can put that one to bed now.

Here is the official explanation Ubi sent in.

Basically it's correct in what it says ( the ubi news item, rocky) , it's the first exclusive screenshot for the Ghost Recon PC community, however it's not the first PC screenshot. It means that it's the first screenshot which is solely for the GR PC community and not for distribution elsewhere, not that it's the first screenshot in general.

I guess sometimes you have to take things exactly as they are written.

Additionally

it's exclusive as in it's released to the community and the community only, it will not be released to press like the previously released screenshots.

Glad we can put that one to bed now.

Whoa... the PC community is getting exclusive information. If they keep this up, they might ruin their bad reputation. Seriously, I'm glad to hear that. :yes:

If it indeed is a PC shot then it looks pretty sweet in my eyes....but the first person shots really is making me start wondering about something though. Fair enough that the character is packing a SCAR but check the ammo count!

One screen display what seem to be 172 mags available and another screen the loaded mag holding 53 rounds. Are we once again going to see the darn unrealistic Beta-C mags just as RvS????

Could someone here with experience from us military training tell me something?

WHY are soldiers in (mostly) american military games dropping their right elbow? It's SO much easier to aim if you have your elbow point 90 degrees out from your body IMO, and that is also what I was taught while enlisted in the swedish army..

Are US soldiers taught to do it with their elbow down? or is it just bad research by the devs?

From my experience in the Army, since alot of weaponry has a pistol like handle, we'll use the m4 as an example, I guess body physics when you hold the pistol grip on an M4 naturally makes your right elbow drop. But operators are taught to hold their weapons at a point to speed shoot but not limit their field of view.

They'll hold the barrel of their weapon slightly lower than their field of view but have practised so much to be able to bring the barrel up in a flash. But as for GR, it may be because of how they made the models of the soldiers.

After 22 years in the US Army I never thought about it. So, just aiming without the weapon my right arm is straight out at a 90% angle. Its been a long time from my basic but it seems to me we were taught with the right elbow straight out. But I shot competition shotgun (skeet and trap) before I joined so I may have done it naturally to start with.

im not sure why the game images appear that way, but I can speak to my personal experience.

we are taught to "groucho walk" - (remember him?) you look more like groucho marx holding a weapon.

Also, when you are prone, you use both arms (elbows on ground) to hold your torso off the ground - ever gone prone with a 30 round magazine? not sure about the swedes, but after the revolutionary war, we hardly ever fight standing up anymore... ;)

also, when you are stacked outside an entrance, you can't have your elbow holding your body 1.5 feet from the wall - everyone is tucked, stacked, preped for entry.

Also, why make yourself a larger target? pull your elbows in and "groucho walk"

WHY are soldiers in (mostly) american military games dropping their right elbow? It's SO much easier to aim if you have your elbow point 90 degrees out from your body IMO, and that is also what I was taught while enlisted in the swedish army..

Are US soldiers taught to do it with their elbow down? or is it just bad research by the devs?

It's more natural to shoot elbow out. That is how we did it in the USMC when I was in, and also how I have taught people to shoot.

When holding a rifle, it takes twice the effort to hold the elbow in, and the shakes come about twice as fast, meaning your ability to stay on target decreases.

Holding the elbow out also locks that shoulder, and gives you a good anchor position. If you are using a scope, holding that elbow down brings the scope closer to your eye and nose, and if using a large caliber weapon, BAMMO ! !, instant black eye and possible broken nose.

The only time you want to go elbow down is if you are using your knees or the ground as spot welds, or if you are using bipod, but even then, you want that elbow out a bit to keep that arm relaxed.

It's more natural to shoot elbow out.  That is how we did it in the USMC when I was in, and also how I have taught people to shoot.

When holding a rifle, it takes twice the effort to hold the elbow in, and the shakes come about twice as fast, meaning your ability to stay on target decreases.

Holding the elbow out also locks that shoulder, and gives you a good anchor position.  If you are using a scope, holding that elbow down brings the scope closer to your eye and nose, and if using a large caliber weapon, BAMMO ! !, instant black eye and possible broken nose.

The only time you want to go elbow down is if you are using your knees or the ground as spot welds, or if you are using bipod, but even then, you want that elbow out a bit to keep that arm relaxed.

Yea, that's how I felt, I really have to use the muscles in my shoulder to tuck it in, sure i can go some degrees lower and still be relaxed, but the position that you see in rainbow six for instance just makes my arm go tired after a few seconds.

When going prone having your elbow drop comes more natural since you rotate your shoulder outwards.

If you shoot CQB-style (weapon pushed forward against the tension of a single-point or two-point sling), your right elbow naturally wants to be low. The tac courses our school runs all teach this style of shooting for carbine and smg. It is very fast and facilitates good peripheral vision. Once you get it down, you will never go back to traditional shoulder-butt and cheek-weld unless you are doing long range precision shots.

You know what? ("what?") I think it's a great start that we're seeing stuff from UBI. They have clearly learned their lessons on the PR front.

are you kidding? they haven't learned jack as far as i'm concerned. I mean, really, what lessons have they learned here? That you shouldn't farm out development? That you shouldn't keep press about the PC version to such a minimum that GR forums like this speculate it won't even come out? or how about now, with Xbox pics re-labeled as 'PC Screen' shots... ridiculous.

they haven't learned a thing.

here's what they could do right--

1) start a forum. they'll 'never win' on it in arguments... but at least the community feels like they have a face to talk to, and rumors can be quelled quickly.

2) release actual PC screenshots-- how long has this been in development? release some real screenshots, and multitudes of them so we don't think they're faking it.

3) Release relevant news-- beta testing announcements, dev interviews, etc.

4) Find a release date and stick with it.

5) Market to the PC gamer and not just the console gamer. No longer the 14 year old, the average PC gamer buys games for himself and console games for his two kids-- i.e. the PC Gamer effects more purchases than just the game he plays himself. Make him happy, you make the whole family happy, and UBI makes more money in the meantime-- see what i mean?