PC Gamer Preview

uZeal

Finally a reviewer that raises some of the same concerns and problems with the game as us the loyal pc fans. I suggest you read this well put together article ill quote the last paragraph for you.

"So can it even really be called a sequel to our Game of the Year? It seems more like a new franchise to me. This game lookes like a lot of fun, but as a fervent Ghost Recon fanatic, I can't help but feel like the real sequel is nowhere in sight."

pg 52 PC gamer July 2004 issue.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember what PC Gamer said about RvS? That was practically a death knell for that game. It also scored lower than previous versions of the R6 franchise. I haven't seen the new US version of PC Gamer, but will be sure to grab it when it hits the supermarket magazine rack.

I am still keeping an open mind despite what I have said in other threads. I like what our friendly neighborhood Ghost had to say in the Gigex Review thread and he brings up lots of valid points. Hopefully those who read his comments (from RSE that is) will take them to heart and report back as to what he has to say and can still implement some of his points into the game. That could bring us a killer PC version of the game and could mean a better experience for us and better sales for RSE/Ubi. They do need to remember what happened when they took the limp out of the game.

Anyone read it yet? I read part of it until the people in the magazine store started giving me evil looks and clearing their throats,right, like I need a hint. I'll have to go back later to finish the article, God forbid I should buy it. The writer seemed to really like the game... :yes:

Yeh, that's the artcile by Dan Morris, I have read it and he really wades into Ubi Soft for what they have (potentially) done to GR, and he denounced Ghost Recon 2 as a sequal. :(

Rarely have I seen a magazine editor get so hot under the collar about a major title.

He said we are not getting a sequal, we are getting Socom with a Tom Clancy sticker on it.

good, GR fan as an editor :D

UBI/RSE do seem to be targeting younger people / X-box players with the OTS view and the more action based story line.

Im glad he said somthing. Maybe rse will happen to hear us a bit more loudly now.

:yes:

Edited by Prozac360

Ye, I've been beating this drum on the Official Ghost Recon 2 Forums since E3, and have been getting reamed for it...

My latest tirade about the differences between Console and PC development and the fact RSE has made several statements that the release for the two platforms will be essentially identical with the PC platform design following the Xbox, doesn't seem to have attracted much attention or concern...

It would be nice if more people looking for less of an arcade game in GR2 would post to the Official Ghost Recon 2 Forums and make their feelings known, as there has been at least one remark concerning 'The PC Team' that offers some hope i.e. they do appear to be reading the forum...

Personally my gut feeling is this is a lost cause, there have just been too many emphatic statements about the games design and progress... My hunch is that our best hope is in asking for deeper mod support then RSE has previously offered on its game -- either via more capable script, or an SDK that includes some source for essential game functions.

Edited by Hoak

Fot those of you interested this is what BulletTooth had to say on the Official Ghost Recon2 Forums:

posted Tue May 25 2004 07:23 PM

For the record, PC Gamer did not review the PC version of the game as one was not available at the time of their evaluation. They evaluated the Xbox version.

For such a reputable and trusted publication, I am shocked that they have "trashed" a game without having even played it on the platform they represent.

Again furthers the notion that you shouldn't believe everything you read in the publications, doesn't it? Certainly makes me question their credibility given they claim to have evaluated a PC version of the game when in fact they hadn't.

Bullet

Casey 'BulletTooth' Keefe

Ubisoft US Online Community Manager - Tom Clancy

Guys, need I remind you that there is still nothing to suggest that Ghost Recon 2 will be an arcade game, let alone have arcade features? :wall:

Why do I feel like I'm speaking to a brick wall when I make these posts...?

hort3, regarding BulletTooth's remarks -- the U.S. PC GAMER eval far from trashes GR2; in fact it's fairly steady with praise -- it just makes the very valid point that if the Xbox beta is any indication; and from what RSE has said would lead anyone to believe that's a reasonable assumption; GR2 will not be the game a lot of GR1 fans might anticipate as far as a more evolved and modern sequel -- rather it will be a game inspired by GR1...

Pyro_Monty, re. your (rhetorical?) question:

Guys, need I remind you that there is still nothing to suggest that Ghost Recon 2 will be an arcade game, let alone have arcade features?

Actually there is quite a lot to suggest that GR2 will be strong on the arcade features... Were you at E3? Have you seen the videos? Have you paid any attention to the statements RSE reps have made about the game?

While I would concede that what is known is far from conclusive it DOES suggest and raise valid questions for fans of Ghost Recon... I see absolutely nothing wrong with people asking or pointing out those questions and issues about the games design that are important to them... Why do you want to discourage them?

Edited by Hoak

Guys, need I remind you that there is still nothing to suggest that Ghost Recon 2 will be an arcade game, let alone have arcade features? :wall:

Why do I feel like I'm speaking to a brick wall when I make these posts...?

I must be one of the bricks in the wall because everything I've read so far point toward the arcade style of play. The last statement I read really broke the camels back when it was mentioned that GR really relied on tension as a major part of the game and GR2 wasn't going to depend on that aspect as much but go toward the action part of the game. You have to think alot during the GR missions but it sounded like GR2 would be a more scripted experience with some variations. :( GR2 a tactical game like GR only better is what I wanted to here but from what I've seen and read it looks like GR2 is nothing more than a clone of the other crappy military arcade games already swamping the market. No dedicated PC team for GR2 tells me not to expect much more than what will be on the XBOX version. To say I'm upset with the way GR2 is headed would be an understatement but unless a miracle takes place the tactical tension filled part of GR which makes it so great has been given it's notice and GR2 will lean far to much toward an arcade game for me. :angry: Wake up RSE GR is to great to ruin.

um :huh: ....first post....better make it good :blink:

ghost recon 2 is going to be more action focused, dumbed down, based off a wimpy console system, and trained monkeys will be able to beat this game...wow...sign up the mass market now b/c this is going to be a hit with them.

there are some great modders out there on ghost recon one. some of the mods (hx5, frostbite, unreal, and woi) are just so beyond what the designers had in mind they are basically sequals in of themselves. cant these same great modders, some of who changed recon from a slow game to an action game, mod the new recon into a slower more methodical game like the original?

im going to wait till ppl actually preview and review a pc version but right now putting a little cash back for this game in case in turns out to be good. thats all. :thumbsup:

I think we are focusing a little too much on the single player side of GR2.

If we are honest how many of us spend most of our time in single player mode?

I do play single player missions but find the ai to be too crap.

GR1 has kept me happy for years in mp though so ask yourself this question: Is all the negative impressions we have from the previews and E3 info actually relevant when it comes to team dm in multi play? probably not i think. Maybe some things but on the whole it will still be two teams trying to knack each other. It will be interesting to read the forums after the first (if) multiplay demo is released for the pc.

While I have read what BT has said at the Ubi forums, and know what the guys at PC Gamer did in the past with the GOTY award (well deserved too), they played GR longer than any other game I watch them review and play. Some of the staff was still playing GR more than a year after the game was released. They recognize what GR was and more than that, still is.

While PC Gamer may have done an early preview (I haven't read it so I can't completely remark on it) of the XBox version, they could be wrong and as Pyro Monty has said in this thread and myself in other threads, we still haven't seen anything regarding the PC version. RSE's remarks concerning both versions do bother me as both versions are supposed to be similar according to the devs. If that is the case, PC Gamer isn't wrong (I stated that after I watched the E3 demo, the 12 minute version, and both PCG and myself have practically said the same thing) and we will see a really decent game go down the tubes.

As far as us posting at the Ubi forums, we get noticed here and at other fan sites by the devs (Serellan is a frequent visitor and is a gamer after all) wanting information from the fans. While not everything we voice either here or at Ubi goes unheard, there are so many things that could be implemented in a game, that to do so would make a game that no one recognizes (my opinon) and not a sequel to GR.

Couldn't have said it any better WK....

@effin_GITS...the SP side of things greatly affects MP....messing up the SP side could/would make some serious problems for the COOP community... we need more than heavy scritpting to enjoy what we do... not to mention a number of other things that may reach the MP coop arena from SP.

There is more to MP than two teams shooting each other.

Couldn't have said it any better WK....

@effin_GITS...the SP side of things greatly affects MP....messing up the SP side could/would make some serious problems for the COOP community... we need more than heavy scritpting to enjoy what we do... not to mention a number of other things that may reach the MP coop arena from SP.

There is more to MP than two teams shooting each other.

Amen :yes:

I would be surprised if any serious Ghost Recon multiplayer saw any beneficial progression in the new ghost recon2 E3 video. It's been dumbed down severely for console level playing.

It's important to remember that the high refresh rate and rapid, accurate movement capable on a PC is outside the bounds of a box hooked to a TV.

They've excluded any benefit for sharply focused players with their newly imposed style of gameplay and I do own an Xbox, so I'm not ignorant of their charms.

This new GR appears unashamedly as a somewhat progressive yet run of the mill console title and cannot compete with the clean, crisp accurate, almost professional gameplay we all love in GR1.

I think I'll be shifting over to Jointops for a while but I still have the greatest admiration for GR1 as an exceptional multiplayer fps.

I think I'll be shifting over to Jointops for a while but I still have the greatest admiration for GR1 as an exceptional multiplayer fps.

Airfish, I have done closed beta testing on Joint Ops. It is not a stealth tactical shooter in the GR 1 sense in anyway. In fact it is a lag fest and appeals to the run and gun.

From pzone: Is Ghost Recon 2 more about action then, considering the console lead?

Edwards: Ghost Recon had a lot of tension built into it. Action is a bigger thing in Ghost Recon 2. We trying to make it exciting, make big things happen. We still want to keep some of the tension gameplay we had but we don't want to rely on it anymore - we want to give players a larger variety of things to appreciate.

Eemphasis added by me. Looks like its all over. They don't want to rely on what made the game great?! Then they try and reverse themselves in the next question.

From Pczone: So what differences can we expect in the PC version, say? Will it be tailored particularly for PC gamers?

Edwards: The missions are the same but the interface will be a little different, the multiplayer will be different. I mean, we've had a lot of experience with PC games and there's no reason to make those people unhappy; so we're going to put the same amount of effort into the PC version that we are the Xbox version.

Again emphasis added by me. Interface will be a little different! It's going to be over the shoulder! Next is they don't want to tick off the PC community. Anyone who is not up in arms yet better get moving because they are going to tick you off!

They are basing the game off the popular SUCKOM series. Which is fun (my son plays it religeously) is not a real simulation or close to combat. By the way my son and nephew are 13. So does that tell you the audience they are aiming for. I used to play SUCKOM until I bought GR. Since then I have given up on PS2 tactical shooters (PS2 shooters all together). There arcade games glorified plain and simple.

Be on the look out for Brothers in Arms. The new version of CloseCombat that will be FPS and based on the Marines. These games are going for accuracy that the original GR has and hopefully more.

By the way why haven't they shown something off for the PC yet? Maybe because it looks and acts like the console version? Why don't they release something that will prove our doubts wrong? Well?

More ranting to come I'm sure. :devil: