The dawn of a new game...VBS1

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VBS1 Trailer

I thought gr2 would have looked like this.

That's something I wanted to have for ages...

It's a total war simulation.

The game is worth the price man. 590$ pppprrrrrrrfffffff is nothing compared to the details, graphics and the things you can do ingame.

thx for the link m8 gonna start saving money...

Edited by Spyro™

Maybe if the U.S. and Canada guys here would organize a security force or something we could get our hands on this.

insaneflyingmonkey @ May 21 2004, 03:48

lol, uhhh yes we belong to the GR.net Mall Security team, and need this to practice our tactical assaults on mall rats...

LMAO...

Maybe BjB and Earl could do up some Cdn Skins/Weapons (as there are US ones) and our GR Mall Squad could save the world from terrible Kangeroos...

Edited by MarauderMike

:huh:

O..

M..

G..

:ph34r:

I WANT IT!!!

I WILL GET THIS GAME!!

FYI-- the charcter animations holding the weapons are cheesy. It looks like the guy is staring striaght into the side of the gun and shooting..lol

EDIT: ACL... its a trainin sim. Not a game. No MP in it for me. Dang!

Edited by WOLFAnubis

:huh:

O..

M..

G..

:ph34r:

I WANT IT!!!

I WILL GET THIS GAME!!

FYI-- the charcter animations holding the weapons are cheesy. It looks like the guy is staring striaght into the side of the gun and shooting..lol

EDIT: ACL... its a trainin sim. Not a game. No MP in it for me. Dang!

yeah i noticed that too.

sometimes it looks like they are looking down too.

as far as you guys know, did the game check where you were? ie, did it check what country XP says you are in? or is there any other way that the game can actually check? :rolleyes:

Hmmm I donno... Snow? Dekela? Earl? Gordo?

...gimme some time brother Canuck and I'll find out ;)

lol, ok thanks. um how you gonna find out??? ;) PM me?

As far as I know it didn't check for location, atleast not visibly during the install but you just never know what's going on behind the scenes when you install something.
thanks matt.

ya, i hope it doesn't look to much like OFP, that characters animations were pretty bad :(

i thought it said you could play MP over LAN?

;) ###### this brings a tear in my eye...........

very nice eye-candy there

i hope it plays like it looks and i hope its as modable as they tell it is!!!

than it gonna be the BEST game I ever played..........

can u guys tell me if its worth its money?? if its better than GR1??if its Arcade???

cause i HATE arcade!!!

-mordred-

;) ###### this brings a tear in my eye...........

very nice eye-candy there

i hope it plays like it looks and i hope its as modable as they tell it is!!!

than it gonna be the BEST game I ever played..........

can u guys tell me if its worth its money?? if its better than GR1??if its Arcade???

cause i HATE arcade!!!

-mordred-

It's designed for the ADF as a proncipal user- so it's anything but arcade.

As to difference between VBS Aussie designed and VBS American version- the difference in graphics is due to the American one the USMC use being a few years old and the current Version developed in Aust being much newer.

As to Game- it' not a game....it's a military application and as such you get what you pay for. Some of the tools are obviously menat for Military like AAR and observer mode where units can learn from there mistakes or successes in the virtual battlefield.

well put gordo. and anyone who say's the graphics aren't up too par, well what can i say. photo realism is most definately up to par, the screens i posted are NOT set on full detail mode, when they are, watch out. VBS does have lan and internet multi-player and from what i can tell it's own built in voice comms, although i haven't tried for sure. as said it's not a game but an actual military sim, so the price is very reasonable for what you get

cheers......

Here's some excerpts from my own personal expereinces of Seeing VBS....

VBS Ver 1.0 developed for ADF

VBS allows the user once licensed to integrate their own maps, weapons and vehicle models into the system to configure it to their user preferences. For example Satellite 3D Maps can be easily turned into maps for the VBS System allowing the user to recreate accurate battlefield scenarios in the real world terrain that is in the map. I.e. USMC has modelled Camp Pendleton in one of their maps, all buildings faithfully recreated.

For the Australian version this will allow the ADF to create maps of operational or training areas as a familiarisation tool for infantry units.

AAR

In addition this version of VBS also has an After action review Mode (AAR) to allow 2D and in the future 3D recreations of battles that are fought in VBS. This AAR mode allows a senior person or indeed the diggers themselves to look back at the actions taken by the unit as a whole or even down to the view of each individual soldier. The AAR is much like the ACMI range used by Air Superioty fighters allowing the users to see who shot first, how many rounds were fired and who hit what they were aiming at, in addition to accurately portraying all OPFOR and Friendly units locations and actions.

Uses:-

The whole program allows easy introduction of new models and features. 3D AAR review is in the pipeline as is a commanders program to allow Platoon or Company (or above) commanders to view and direct their forces. The Commanders version may or may not use human players, the AI can handle the task if human players are not available.

Artificial Intelligence:-

The AI of the OPFOR and friendly AI is a crucial component in this program is it were “dumb” then the program while good looking and easy to use would not offer any real training value. The VBS ADF and VBS original version I witnessed running had the most proficient AI I’ve seen in any PC simulation. One engagement witnessed from the 2D AAR God Mode saw one platoon sized enemy element split into two separate elements, one element laid suppressing fire while the other tried to flank the friendly position.

In addition the missions can be created so that the enemy will behave or reinforce their positions to maximise training value. I.e. if assaulting village if enemy gets to certain lowered strength then reinforcements will arrive to support them.

Also making a presence is Non Player Characters such as animals- sheep, rabbits, Kangaroos etc all faithfully recreated and they act in relation to the player- gunfire will scatter the sheep flocks this giving the friendly or enemy your location or vice versa.

The AI is realistic in that if you are quiet and behind vegetation they will not see you or “Sense” you, some Civilian FP shooters are notorious for AI that sees you through multiple bushes and knows where you are even if you can’t see them.

Scenario’s Witnessed.:-

After viewing pictures and video and talking at length about the VBS ADF and it’s implications I had the opportunity to see some advanced Beta scenarios using the latest 3D Character, Vehicle and Weapon models. The Scenario started off on a hilltop mountain. Visibility was set at a staggering 1200m (the sim will allow distances up to 5km viewing-which is awesome considering Ghost recon has a distance of about 200M Maximum at times. The Maps are huge some 50km by 50km areas can be modelled. ) The player was armed with an AI AW-50F .50 cal AMR Sniper Rifle. Enemy consisted of a OPFOR Squad roughly over 1000m away, the developer than proceeded to engage the enemy at extreme long range. I was very impressed with the ballistics- the bullet drop was noticeable and the time delay from firing to impact was right on the money. The weapon Model was also accurate and goes with what I’ve seen in open literature on the AW-50 Sniping System.

The second scenario had the same player put into a flat gully with the same enemy force aligned against him. To show off the system a Aussie S-70 Blackhawk was introduced and proceeded to fly over the battlefield. It took fire on the first pass but on the 2nd pass laid down mini gum fire to suppress the enemy.

To further showcase the work they have done two ASLAV-25’s were introduced to further cause the enemy OPFOR hassles- these were fired upon by enemy RPG Troops and one ASLAV was hit- as this was happening I witnessed an enemy OPFOR backing away from the other ASLAV and preparing to fire his RPG before the developer engaged him with the AW-50.

In a further the twist the scenario was restarted and section of US Marines was introduced to showcase the friendly AI’s assault AI. Very impressive Stuff.

Further more I saw in game models of drivable Land Rovers, UniMogs and also the LPRV used by the SASR in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The full range of Aussie Battlefield weapons are being modelled- M4A5, Minimi, Steyr, Javelin. So too are all the vehicle’s from Blackhawk, ASLAV, the M1A2 being ordered recently to the LPRV.

nice gordo. and on the topic of AI, like i said, no more dumb team mates or OPFOR. i have seen them do extra ordinary things. no more run at the guy shooting at you AKA GR. combined with bullet drop (full bullet phisics modelled including wind deflection) and HUGE maps, it combines to an awesome experience. no more point the dot on the tango at range and you'll hit him. and you must use your smarts or you are gone! like i keep saying, it's not a game, although the civi version maybe, it's a full on sim. the worst par is that i doubt i'll ever touch GR again, as once you try VBS you see how seriously lacking GR is in many area's.

cheers......

nice gordo. and on the topic of AI, like i said, no more dumb team mates or OPFOR. i have seen them do extra ordinary things. no more run at the guy shooting at you AKA GR. combined with bullet drop (full bullet phisics modelled including wind deflection) and HUGE maps, it combines to an awesome experience. no more point the dot on the tango at range and you'll hit him. and you must use your smarts or you are gone! like i keep saying, it's not a game, although the civi version maybe, it's a full on sim. the worst par is that i doubt i'll ever touch GR again, as once you try VBS you see how seriously lacking GR is in many area's.

cheers......

dont make me cry! :cry:

darn it you evil bloke, shabang, you you!

:cry:

beleive me OSOK, i'm not trying to make anyone feel bad, it's just that once you get it, you cant look back. simple really. to everyone, if you have the chance and the dough, GET IT.

cheers......

lol thats just it, I dont have the "dough"

... saw one platoon sized enemy element split into two separate elements, one element laid suppressing fire while the other tried to flank the friendly position.

Outstanding!

As to Game- it' not a game....it's a military application and as such you get what you pay for.

Well said Gordo, it's something to train on, not to 'play'.

...now I must find out if I'll end up in the slammer if I order it. <_<

... saw one platoon sized enemy element split into two separate elements, one element laid suppressing fire while the other tried to flank the friendly position.

Outstanding!

As to Game- it' not a game....it's a military application and as such you get what you pay for.

Well said Gordo, it's something to train on, not to 'play'.

Yeah the AI is very competent and will use cover, group tactics and will try and flank you... they won't come charging in on a straight line directy in front of you unless they've got you pinned... and vice versa they don't hang around if half there buddies have been annihilated by your firepower.....

and your team mates WILL frag your ass if you start going troppo and shooting them, or if you give them a dumb order they wont just rush out with blind obedience, they actually seem to think

cheers......