The dawn of a new game...VBS1

And IMHO it's an accurate model of an LPRV right down to spare tyre storage, MAG58 passsenger mounts and roo bar etc....

And it's an in game shot as well, not a MAX or photoshop shot etc....

Well you have to remember these guys have been on Uni Courses and are paid to do it, and Im self taught and not paid, and mine is still better modeled (IMHO;)). And Im adding all the parts you mention after recommendations by PM from somebody. Pretty good competition Ive put up I think, me vs a pro company thou.

Most of those that worked on the project haven't been taught at Uni- there Modders that have been picked up to work on the project. There normal people and they get paid to mod- not a bad deal at all.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey Gordo, could you post some more pics of US SF please? we've seen a lot of aussi stuff but not muc else... The SF in that stairwell pic looked soooo good. :drool:

lol, thanks. :thumbsup:

:rofl: lmfao, that Chems thing! SO phunny! :lol:

Edited by JTF-2

hey Gordo, could you post some more pics of US SF please? we've seen a lot of aussi stuff but not muc else... The SF in that stairwell pic looked soooo good. :drool:

lol, thanks. :thumbsup:

:rofl: lmfao, that Chems thing! SO phunny! :lol:

Pulled them off another site, the guy that posted has web space avialable to upload pics- unforn I don't. But I'll see if he can post some pics up so i can show some more US SF... Rangers, US SFG and Delta are covered in US Special Forces Pack 1.

Nah mate- work is my ISP.....as much as those images to work in some ways and the roles of current and former workmates (some are in Iraqi as Security contractors- roles much like the Scotsman from this thread) :ph34r: nope not possible. Will be getting my own connection in near future though so that'll be no problems to upload photos.

Edit:- Here's some more screenies- sorry there ADF shots though...

Unimog

Roo Hunting

Edited by Gordo_Viper

Gordo or Dekela:

Do the enemy need a lot of scripting or will they basically uses common sense when told to guard or patrol or attack?

What kind of procedure (for those iof us not familiar with OFP) is involved for placing actors, objects, vehicles, objectives?

How long does it take to slap together a half decent SP mission?

Err, maybe its been asked before but,

I see lots of vehicle, choppers, can you use them too, or in a way interact with them?

Or are they for support, drop offs, etc?

thanks, keep the reports comming

Vehciles- Airborne and Ground etc can be used by the player- it's possible to play as a Helo pilo/ or drive armour around if you feel the need to do so. Depends on what the user wants. For most GR Fans that play as infantry or SF they'll be either used as a support or in OPFOR's case as targets.

They can be used as insertion, support or scripted to help you when you radio for extra support- again up to you with radio if ou decide to bring in there level of support. Suffice to say that the OPFOR will at times call in there assets on you...

Helo's/ Vechiles eps can be used as insertion vechiles etc- fast rope from choppers is possible much like OFP etc...

The extra VBS only scripts will allow some very interesting actions from both the OPFOr and friendly forces...

But yes vechiles play a role in combat ops- the combined arms used in today's militaries can be used quite well and let's face it in mutli-play it will allow people to help out the fellow human teammates- ie. Helo support or Tank support etc....

Gordo or Dekela:

Do the enemy need a lot of scripting or will they basically uses common sense when told to guard or patrol or attack?

What kind of procedure (for those iof us not familiar with OFP) is involved for placing actors, objects, vehicles, objectives?

How long does it take to slap together a half decent SP mission?

Under waypoint and generic orders there quite competent- there a lot of basic options before you look at scripting in behaviour patterns- OFP scripts work with VBS- but the VSB scripts will allow the OPFOR to communicate with other forces and call in artillery or CAS on you and allow greater interaction bwteen different OPFOR groups.

Th scripting can be altered to make them run away and hide when faced with hard contacts or to really give it to you- they do like to lay suppressive fire and then try and turn your flanks quite a bit.

VBS AI is based on OFP but it's different- they use more RW tactics and if a human player runs and guns and doesn't act smart they'll get there butts handed to them. Dek's is really more into scripting side but I've seen some very impressive stuff from VBS OPFOR that I've seen very little of in other sims- OFP is closest due to VBS1's heritage.

hey earl, forgive me if i am wrong, but you worked on this thag right? Thats why your down here in friendly old oz?

If so, why did they choose russians to fight? Cos most of the people that are being fought use russian guns etc??

well, it IS a training tool designed for "MP" through LAN and the internet. Can't say how the netcode works though as I haven't tested it online yet but its quite probable that the code is very similar to OP Flashpoints. If I remember the documentation right it allows up to 32 players.

Side note: tried the same mission that dekela wrote a short story about earlier and it is indeed a challenge! With all the lead the op force throws at you you better keep a low profile and make sure your shots count! (Especially since you only get 5 mags to start off with!)

Think I have played to much GR though as I have a problem leading running targets just right to hit them, makes it hard to hit running ppl over longer ranges! :wall:

Most of those that worked on the project haven't been taught at Uni- there Modders that have been picked up to work on the project. There normal people and they get paid to mod- not a bad deal at all.

Go have a look at the job requirments to work for one of these companies. Yes Im sure a few are modders picked out but Im also sure the majority arent.

@ budgie, the scripting is as easy or as hard as you wich it to be. even when left completly up to their own AI, the chr's are still very intellegent, and will use tactics where possible, eg: flanking, cover fire, fire and movement etc. when using the more advanced scipting, it is possible to implement large amounts of randomness among other things. also you can scrip it so an AI chr on a 50 cal will randomly pick targets from a "fire zone," and will decide how many rounds to place on each target. if someone puts up a flare, you can have a chopper come in for evac or resupply. even deignate on the map where you want artillery or gunship fire to target. the possibilities are literally endless, and this is just using existing flashpoint script's. the new VBS one's will be superior no end.

but as said, it's as easy or as hard as you choose. it can take from as little as half an hour, to a couple of day's to complete a finished mission. and the best part is the preview on the fly set up, where you can edit part of a mission and with one mouse click, jump in and try it out, then jump back to the editor. all of the actors, way points trigger's and effects etc. are simple to place. just pick from a list, double click the map and it's in. then you can edit it's properties such as skill level, probability of showing, azimuth and type of unit/soldier and such. then you can add various scripts for movement, roe etc, or leave it up to the AI. and even with basic flashpoint scripts and planning, you can simulate OPFOR calling in air,arty support or reinforcements etc, with sometimes devistating results.

@snowfella, the mission i described is actually my first volley into VBS scripting, so it may be a different one to what your playing

cheers......

What this needs mate is CADPAT skins and weapons.... :wub:

:yes: ya, that would be pretty sweet. :rolleyes:

Pulled them off another site, the guy that posted has web space avialable to upload pics- unforn I don't. But I'll see if he can post some pics up so i can show some more US SF... Rangers, US SFG and Delta are covered in US Special Forces Pack 1.

ok, cool. thanks again Gordo. :thumbsup:

@Dekela: if its the modified, to normal to AUS troopers, airbase assault you are talking about then it's the one I just played. Blame our mutual friend for passing it on to me. ;)

Be worse when we get VBS scripts though....

Nah mate, not mission Dek's is referring to in the mission story, he's mission isnt based on a converted mission. It's actually a lot harder than the one I sent you mate, I lasted about 30 seconds the first time I had a crack at his mission...... :(

Now that definately sounds like something I have to have a go at!!! :devil: See if I still remember what the army taught me :o=

Got my own little mission in the making too but since I've never scripted flashpoint style before it will probably be a while before I have something I can show. :ph34r:

thirty seconds hey gordo, you'll be happy to know i've added a couple of "things" since then, namely a 30 minute time limit. not bad considering it takes me about 40 to 50 minutes to complete, and i made it :(

snow, if you want a go i can send it to you mate. just say the word

cheers......

Edited by dekela

Y'know, those are some real sweet screens. I have a silly, nitpicky type question... Why don't the models hold their waepons properly in the shoulder? That's about the only thing that looks goofy. (I know, I know this isn't something you concern yourself about when the fur starts to fly...but.

Cheers,

Mike