The dawn of a new game...VBS1

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That should work. Most addons only don't work because of a line in the config that specifies Resistance addon is required. VBS has everything that Resistance has, so once the addon is allowed to load (with the dummy PBO) then everything should work.

Question - how do you select a target?

For some reason, even though I see a target, I cannot identify it as a target. I am ususally within 500m of it. For example, I'm tasked to destroy a SP AA veh, and I want my Javelin Gunner to engage it (from a safe distance). But I cannot, I have to get within some rediculously close range (100m-ish) so that it "shows up" on the command menu... <_<

Question - how do you select a target?

For some reason, even though I see a target, I cannot identify it as a target. I am ususally within 500m of it. For example, I'm tasked to destroy a SP AA veh, and I want my Javelin Gunner to engage it (from a safe distance). But I cannot, I have to get within some rediculously close range (100m-ish) so that it "shows up" on the command menu... <_<

Don't know if the same as flashpoint, but if you put you ret over the target and right click, it will identify it and let the rest of your men know. I think that if you want, say, AT guy to get rid of a tank, you can highlight him be using the key that represents him (Like F4 for the #4 man) and then left click on the tank.

I don't own VBS though, thats just how I do it in Flash.

Thanks Sart. I'll give'r a whirl after work!

Viper's Mission- he's put a fair amount of vegetationa round the Mobile AA and thus it's harder to detect for Jav Seeker and also the AI- pick up a LAW or RPG and give it a whack with that...

Yup that's the one...

While completely visible to me, it must have been "obscured". I took a potshot at the vehicle, which caused it to move, enabling me to "see" it and then target it for my Javelin gunner. Quick easy kill from there from like 600m... then we faded into the night.

To recap - it is the default right mouse button.

Thanks for the guidance!

Yup that's the one...

While completely visible to me, it must have been "obscured". I took a potshot at the vehicle, which caused it to move, enabling me to "see" it and then target it for my Javelin gunner. Quick easy kill from there from like 600m... then we faded into the night.

To recap - it is the default right mouse button.

Thanks for the guidance!

THe Vegetation surrounding the vechile made it difficult to target- once it's out in the open your Javelin equipped trooper as you said will make a meal out of it. Looking forward to soem screenies and a warrie...

someone slap me, please!!

I just went to a mates house, clutching VBS1, and fired it up.

AND OH MY FORKING GOD!!!!!!!!!

Amazing, just blew me away. Its a huge jump from GR, i tells you that. The lads at BIA have done a marvelous job!

i just played the premade missions, without the addons (i didnt have time to fiddle with the editor and such). I must say, it was a bit confusing, but if/when i get the comp ill sit down and go thru the book.

But i did magange to shoot a few mofos, and climb some towers and sniper my team mates (oops). But yeah, good fun!!!

Helmet Time....

On 19 March 2003 Australian SASR patrols were unleashed into the Western Desert of Iraq. The following (somewhat poor) images were captured by a patrol member (Trooper X) of one such patrol - Callsign 34D and 34E.

34D's task was to twofold:

1 - Deny enemy forces the use of AD assets in the western desert; and

2 - Disrupt enemy Command and Control (C2) abilities at a local garrison as well as deny the enemy use of any fighting vehicles.

34E's task was to transport 34D to and from the objective areas, provide support on the assault of the C2 facility and act as a mobile reserve.

The following are the photo's and narrative by Trooper X...

Despite the usual jitters before a mission such as this one, the patrol was in good spirits as we roared across the border into Iraq.

DesertInfil2.jpg

After an uneventful infiltration and deployment we moved quickly into the Objective Rendezvous (ORV) and I accompanied the patrol commander on his leaders recce. From our position we identified only one mobile AD vehicle (a Shilka) as well as numerous 4-Man enemy perimeter patrols.

DesertObj.jpg

The patrol commander decided that it would be best if we didn't get tied up in a useless firefight with the sentries, rather he decided to engage from a "safe" distance using the excellent range and accuracy of the Javelin ATGM. Indeed you can see the effects of both the accuracy of our gunner and the missile itself...

DesertJavelinHit1.jpg

DesertJavelinHit2.jpg

DesertJavelinHit3.jpg

Lingering only long enough to ensure that the vehicle was indeed destroyed, we quickly faded into the night to our Pick-up RV. There 34E was waiting for us. We did some quick last-minute coord as well as a confirmatory map recce and prepared to move to our second objective...

DesertRV1.jpg

DesertInfil.jpg

The first part of our move was uneventful, but as we neared the second objective two Iraqi outriders on motorcycles appeared out of nowhere (perhaps they were sent to the AD site?). Needless to say our gunners reacted immediately, with the turret gunner taking the first motorcycle trooper...

DesertLRPVContact1.jpg

and our MAG "shotgunner" destroying the second...

DesertLRPVContact2.jpg

Unfortunately for us the MG fire alerted the nearby garrison and an alarm could be heard sounding in the distance... with no time to mess about we quickly moved into our ORV and from there into our assault positions. (Thank God for all our training and the patrol rehearsals we conducted the night and day before!) Things moved quickly from this point, and to be honest I was a tad occupied so I wasn't too focused on my camera...if you know what I mean...(laughs)

As we swept over a dune the target was awash with activity...not coordinated though, and so we added to the confusion. In this shot you can see the garrison pretty well...

DesertObj2.jpg

There was an enemy BMP that roared out of the enemy camp straight towards our LRPV's that were waiting to join the fray. My mate with the Javelin smoked them with a brilliantly quick shot. Fortunately, that was it for deployed AFV's (although there was one still in the camp, but for whatever reason the enemy didn't use it... (laughs) Thank God.

We began to sweep the perimeter of the installation first before trying to gain lodgement.

DesertFightingThru1.jpg

Once most of the perimeter was cleared we began the slow and dangerous work of clearing a built up area...

DesertFightingThru2.jpg

DesertFightClear.jpg

With the C2 garrison out of action we patched ourselves up and headed off into the shadows to our PZ, just as the sky was beginning to brighten. A good nights work.

:rocky:

Thanks to Viper for creating such an enjoyable mission, and all of you for your help and guidance which vastly improved my mates abilities.

Cheers

Edited by MarauderMike

someone slap me, please!!

I just went to a mates house, clutching VBS1, and fired it up.

AND OH MY FORKING GOD!!!!!!!!!

Amazing, just blew me away. Its a huge jump from GR, i tells you that. The lads at BIA have done a marvelous job!

i just played the premade missions, without the addons (i didnt have time to fiddle with the editor and such). I must say, it was a bit confusing, but if/when i get the comp ill sit down and go thru the book.

But i did magange to shoot a few mofos, and climb some towers and sniper my team mates (oops). But yeah, good fun!!!

The adds are even better-and wait till you check out Vipers/ Dek's/ other missions (see Mikes Warries) that are out... good "fun" mate.

@ Mike excellent War Story there as well mate. Very well done- see you didn't take that many pics of the main assault on camp- caught up in moment by looks of it....

This was posted over at a OFP site.

VBS1_Aus_SASR_des_patrol_town.jpg

Basically that thing is an LPRV (used by Aussie SAS)- it's based on a land rover that has ben lengthened and it's wider and the general configuration is totoally different to most Landies out there the only thing really similar between the pics Stewy posted of the IMV and the LPRV are the 6 tires.

And IMHO it's an accurate model of an LPRV right down to spare tyre storage, MAG58 passsenger mounts and roo bar etc....

And it's an in game shot as well, not a MAX or photoshop shot etc....

Ok so how about now, I didnt get the Mag58 on, lets vote whos is better the Pro Companies or my own?

adf_def_des_mk19.jpg

Basically that thing is an LPRV (used by Aussie SAS)- it's based on a land rover that has ben lengthened and it's wider and the general configuration is totoally different to most Landies out there the only thing really similar between the pics Stewy posted of the IMV and the LPRV are the 6 tires.

And IMHO it's an accurate model of an LPRV right down to spare tyre storage, MAG58 passsenger mounts and roo bar etc....

Ok so how about now, I didnt get the Mag58 on, lets vote whos is better the Pro Companies or my own?

adf_def_des_mk19.jpg

Nice LRPV model. Nice use of Available resources- imagery of LRPV's etc.

And if you honestly want to compare them- in game shots- but then your comparing the capability of each game/ sims graphics engine as well.

As to Pro-Company I'll stand by the claim that modders are involved with VBS development. Other PC games well your probably right re there background.

The level of invlovement with Community in VBS is quite high- Dev's and users actually talk to each other.

Yeah, that's one thing that separates the OFP/VBS community from GR. The developers actually talk to, and work with, the community. It's not uncommon for the lead developer of OFP to regularly hit the forums and offer assistance. But I can count on one hand the number of GR devs who have actively taken part in helping the modding community.

As for modders being involved in VBS1, I could swear that the MH60 from VBS1 was made by BAS, judging from some of the images I've seen.

Edited by Parabellum

adf_def_des_mk19.jpg

nice model, but unfortunately it's not an LRPV (perenti), so cant really be compared. as gordo has said, lets get some in game shots to have a gander at. the nearest i've seen for GR is dugite's version, which is a true roo shootin' wagon.

cheers......

It's not uncommon for the lead developer of OFP to regularly hit the forums and offer assistance. But I can count on one hand the number of GR devs who have actively taken part in helping the modding community.

that i agree with.

Ive had a long chat over PM's with one of the admins/developers at the VBs resources site, He had genuine concern over my plight, and went as far as to find a whole lotta good prices on new graphics cards and RAM etc.

Those of you who haven't seen it, find Kegetys' dx8dll. OFP/VBS now looks better than you can imagine. Kegetys, somehow in his wisdom, has managed to add full-screen glare, reflective water, new NVG effects, and other amazing effects. It's unbelievable, and it's a shame that no one has done it for Ghost Recon.