MP Demo Feedback + Discussion

Grin, the highest video settings are allowed only with a graphic card with 512 MB onboard memory.

I purchased a Geforce 8800 GTS OC, and I have around 90 frames per second after having 45 at most on my geforce 7600 GT. So I wonder....

Is it possible to allow the highes videosettings (detail) for cards with over 256 MB video ram instead of 512? Maybe you could put this setting in a patch for the demo so It can be tested before the game comes out, if it works well enough it could be included in teh first official patch on GRAW2.

My system specs are not top list for the rest,so If it works with me it should work with most people who bought the 8800 GTS OC (any brand) and maybe even the non OC versions.

Or have you perhaps tested it already in your studio?

My rig:

Gygabyte P965 S3

Intel core 2 duo 6300

2x 1 gig ddr 667 (corsair paired no OC)

MSI Geforce 8800 GTS 320 MB OC

soundblaster x-fi extreme music

mouse keyboard bla bla Oh yes maybe of importance benq 19" 8ms flatscreen max 1280x1020

Edited by Forrester

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Click on the tweakguides banner in my sig and check out the GRAW 2 tweak guide. You can enable all high settings, just not in-game. This stops situations like this where the textures in the game are too much for a 320mb card regardless of how fast the card is. You will still get your 90fps but the game will stutter because of the high rez textures.

EDIT: Oh, the only options that shouldn't be available to you are Textures - High and anything other than normal physics (unless you have a physics card).

Edited by Nutlink

Click on the tweakguides banner in my sig and check out the GRAW 2 tweak guide. You can enable all high settings, just not in-game. This stops situations like this where the textures in the game are too much for a 320mb card regardless of how fast the card is. You will still get your 90fps but the game will stutter because of the high rez textures.

EDIT: Oh, the only options that shouldn't be available to you are Textures - High and anything other than normal physics (unless you have a physics card).

and altering the xml results in a kick online?

Not this particular one, nope.

Go to C:\Program Files\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 Demo\Data\settings\renderer_settings.xml

In the renderer_settings.xml file, look for <variable name="texture_quality" value="medium"/> and change the medium to high. That's all there is too it, no kick from servers for this, no nothing except high rez textures :)

I agree with Nutlink and EasyCo. Walking fast when trying to shoot isn't a good idea. Slow is fast and fast is slow. Means you gotta keep disciplined with your movement or else you end up tripping over yourself or completely missing your target when firing and running at the same time. Only time you should run is from cover to cover. Like crossing the street to seek cover behind a building.

i also agree. walking speed is spot on. believe it or not, i would like to have an option to also walk *slower*, sneaking really silent to surprise enemies. but as said one hundred times, the ghosts and rebels should pack and tape their gear properly to avoid rattling sounds. ^^

Edited by LFO

-) serverbrowser need filters and a sort function

-) servername and ip needs to be displayed when pressing "TAB" ingame

-) hitindicator sould be serverside optional

-) footstep sounds of incoming enemys far to loud (i can still hear them even if i'm surrounded by walls)

Edited by TheVoodoo

I agree voodoo with the loudness. Sometimes I stop moving if I hear an enemy nearby and I cringe as well. I'll also stop moving completely. I won't even bother to crouch cause even that makes too much noise. I don't think the hit indicator should be a server option. I think it should be an individual one although the majority does seem to hate it as do I. That's my 99 cents.

I like this new gamemode we have, it can be very fun when using the m99 shooting through things when you see the red diamond. However what annoys me most is when i am tagged, i have no clue about it.

Sometimes you know your tagged cos someone is taking pot shots at the brick wall where your sat etc, but the worst thing is how do i know when i am not tagged? it would be good to have some sort of icon on our screen so i do not sit in the same place for 4 minutes wondering if i am still tagged. Relying on your team to tell you is a pain, and sometimes not possible for them to detag you so would be good for a visible icon then we know. :thumbsup:

I like this new gamemode we have, it can be very fun when using the m99 shooting through things when you see the red diamond. However what annoys me most is when i am tagged, i have no clue about it.

Sometimes you know your tagged cos someone is taking pot shots at the brick wall where your sat etc, but the worst thing is how do i know when i am not tagged? it would be good to have some sort of icon on our screen so i do not sit in the same place for 4 minutes wondering if i am still tagged. Relying on your team to tell you is a pain, and sometimes not possible for them to detag you so would be good for a visible icon then we know. :thumbsup:

I really do love RvsA too; It really requires a lot of planning. But I like it that you don't know if you are tagged or not. I usually play scrambler and I try to write a short "xxx tagged" when I got the time to help my team. Of course, having people on Teamspeak makes things a lot easier.

An interesting twist with not knowing if you are tagged and having no one to ask is that IF you think you are tagged you know that you can always rush the other team before they have realised that you are tagged and then try to flank them. Well it is not a recipe for survival, but laying in ambush while tagged isn't much of an option either.

Not this particular one, nope.

Go to C:\Program Files\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 Demo\Data\settings\renderer_settings.xml

In the renderer_settings.xml file, look for <variable name="texture_quality" value="medium"/> and change the medium to high. That's all there is too it, no kick from servers for this, no nothing except high rez textures :)

this is all I see in that file:

<!--

Hardware supported configurations:

Adapter: MSI NX8800 GTS(NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS)

(Driver: nv4_disp.dll)

Modes (width x height x refresh):

800x600x60

800x600x72

800x600x75

1024x768x60

1024x768x70

1024x768x75

1152x864x75

1280x1024x60

1280x1024x72

1280x1024x75

1280x1024x76

-->

<renderer_config>

<d3d_device

adapter = "MSI NX8800 GTS(NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS)"

adapter_num ="0"

resolution = "1024 768"

windowed = "false"

refresh_rate = "60"

/>

</renderer_config>

and this is GRAW1:

adapter = "MSI NX8800 GTS(NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS)"

driver = "nv4_disp.dll"

resolution = "1280 1024"

windowed = "false"

refresh_rate = "72"

/>

<render_settings>

<variable name="anti_aliasing" value="disabled"/>

<variable name="aspect_ratio" value="0"/>

<variable name="brightness" value="1"/>

<variable name="dynamic_lights" value="true"/>

<variable name="effect_quality" value="high"/>

<variable name="max_anisotropy" value="8"/>

<variable name="post_effect_quality" value="high"/>

<variable name="shadow_quality" value="high"/>

<variable name="texture_managed_backdrop" value="false"/>

<variable name="texture_managed_buildings" value="false"/>

<variable name="texture_managed_buildings_low" value="false"/>

<variable name="texture_managed_characters" value="false"/>

<variable name="texture_managed_default" value="false"/>

<variable name="texture_managed_effects" value="false"/>

<variable name="texture_managed_ground" value="false"/>

<variable name="texture_managed_lightmaps" value="false"/>

<variable name="texture_managed_no_lod" value="false"/>

<variable name="texture_managed_plants" value="false"/>

<variable name="texture_managed_player_vehicles" value="true"/>

<variable name="texture_managed_props" value="false"/>

<variable name="texture_managed_props_bump" value="false"/>

<variable name="texture_managed_props_high" value="false"/>

<variable name="texture_managed_silhouettes" value="false"/>

<variable name="texture_managed_sky" value="false"/>

<variable name="texture_managed_vehicles" value="true"/>

<variable name="texture_managed_weapons" value="true"/>

<variable name="texture_managed_weapons_third" value="false"/>

<variable name="texture_quality" value="high"/>

<variable name="texture_quality_backdrop" value="high"/>

<variable name="texture_quality_buildings" value="high"/>

<variable name="texture_quality_buildings_low" value="high"/>

<variable name="texture_quality_characters" value="high"/>

<variable name="texture_quality_default" value="high"/>

<variable name="texture_quality_effects" value="high"/>

<variable name="texture_quality_ground" value="high"/>

<variable name="texture_quality_lightmaps" value="high"/>

<variable name="texture_quality_no_lod" value="high"/>

<variable name="texture_quality_plants" value="high"/>

<variable name="texture_quality_player_vehicles" value="high"/>

<variable name="texture_quality_props" value="high"/>

<variable name="texture_quality_props_bump" value="high"/>

<variable name="texture_quality_props_high" value="high"/>

<variable name="texture_quality_silhouettes" value="high"/>

<variable name="texture_quality_sky" value="high"/>

<variable name="texture_quality_vehicles" value="high"/>

<variable name="texture_quality_weapons" value="high"/>

<variable name="texture_quality_weapons_third" value="high"/>

</render_settings>

</render_config>

So you see in GRAW1 texture quality set to high, which I was able to see very well..... what a beauty opens up then.....

So I hope GRAW2 will be the same.

Edited by Forrester

If 8800s were made in 512 cards, I'd get one. But no directx 10 had to be released all late and screw everything up. I'm happy with my 7950 512 card. not directx 10 but until games require it, I'm not gettin a card that supports it. Probably won't be too far away though. Back on topic though. I love the MP5A4 sound. Sounds really sweet. Took out a few guys with it. One time though, I killed a guy and I knew I heard two of em and by the time I turned around it was too late. Flanked me. I just watched a video on youtube of someone playing the demo and it looks like the M14 scope on the M99 which I think is cool looking. Atleast I see it doesnt have that orange crosshair scope like in GRAW. About 13 more days until the street release. Siked cause GRIN's some mal hombres(mean that in a good way) Desert sand polyester moisture wicking shirts and M416s for everyone!!!!!!!

Edited by mwgfghost

Hello All,

I have never played any of the GR games (tried the GRAW 1 demo), but did spend some time playing RS: Raven Shield. This demo reminds me of the fun times we had, but in a military setting. While I wasn't impressed with GRAW 1 for many reason, I am really interested into this game for myself and friends. Here are my thoughts on the demo.

Good

1. The game looks good in almost every aspect (map, weapons, and player models).

2. The sounds are great, but sometimes don't work well together (could be lag in some servers and glitches).

3. Movement option are nice overall, but need a bit of fine tuning.

4. Weapons choices and kits are nice and balanced. I don't think a player should choose the "ultimate gun", but have to have pros and cons.

5. Hit indicator. I know some [GR] fans might night like it, but it has it's place in an online game (with lag issues). If I know I at least got a hit on someone, I can feel better about dying some times.

6. Double kils (2 players killing each other). This happens more in close combat, but it's nice to have.

7. I like the option in movement and shooting styles. If a player wants to run around and spray and pray, he can but won't be succesful at it. A player that moves slower and uses single shot usually will do better. It's important not to limit the player to only one style of game play.

Bad

1. The hit indicator needs to be adjustable by either making the circle smaller and/or a differnt symbol (x or +).

2. The lack of official servers in other parts of the world and no SADS files results in games with many players with high pings. This really reduces the quality of games and might discourage people from buying the game?

3. The death experience is off. To many times, I don't even know that I got shot and I see this red screen instantly appear. I think you should hear the shot (assuming it wasn't silenced) and have the player fall down for a second, then fade to black.

4. The browser is really simple and non-functional and seems like Quake 3 has a better browser. We need to sort the information by the header. We need a server favorites/history, buddy list. The ability to enter an IP, to see who is playing the game, etc. While graphics are improving, something as simple as a server browser is regressing.

5. The who killed who section needs to be incorporated with the chat and the silloutes need to be replaced by the gun name. The chat/kill list needs to move up, not down.

6. In RvA, the scout and scrambler kits need to be easily recognized by their team mates. The scrambler should be able to detag friendlies through walls.

7. In MP, you should be able to add people to your "buddy list". When you play with them, you see see them as a different color (green or purple?) so it's easier to find them (especially in populate servers).

8. In TDM, if you spot an enemy a red dot should be located on your mini map (similar to RvA, but there shouldn't be a marker on the actual player). Unfortunately, there is no way to be a "team" unless you are all on the same VOIP server. This game needs to add the ability to be a team. Battlefield 2 does the best job imho of allowing people who want to work as a team accomplish that in game.

9. This game has the potential to satisfy those who want a purely "tactical" game and those who want an "tactical-action" game (as it currently stands imho). For the "tactical gamers, you need to get rid of the name tags and diamonds and add the ability to identify them with your cross hairs (look before you shoot mentality). Their locations should remain on the map though. If you get shot in the leg, you are gimped and walk slower with more noise. If your shot in the arm, you can move fine, but it's harder to aim with more crosshair spread. The rounds should have no respawn or limited number set by the server. This game mode shouldn't be TDM, but it's own so it attracts that type of player. TDM would essentially remain the same as it works well for a "tactical-action" game.

10. Spawn killing will ruin this game before people buy it. It takes very little skill to do and really ruins it for both sides. Unfortunately, the spawn protection time isn't adequate enough on the servers I have played in. There should be a server option that kills the person who is spawn camping. They would get the kill, but also the death. Community is very important to any MP game and spawn camping is not a good start in building one.

Buggy

1. Many have been listed, but one that I haven't seen involves the grenade launcher. If you find one on the ground, shoot all of your grenades, pick up the GL on the ground and BOOM! you have another one loaded and ready to go. Shoot that one, pick up the other gun and repeat.

Sorry for the long post, but I would rather voice my opinions in the hopes that they will be heard. I have been reading these posts for the past week and like the overall attitude I also like the fact that there is a presence from GRIN on the forum as this goes a long way in my book. I am not a fan of UBIsoft for many reason, but I am a fan of developers who make a good solid game and respond to their customers. It seems like GRIN is that type of developer and I would like to support them by buying this game.

Edited by Odedge

The weapons at the 2-3 star level are fantastic! Why, oh why do you we not have the option to pick and choose our rifles in the MP (outside of choosing a different class all together) ?

I understand the idea of classes. I understand limiting frags / 40mm, but man, let us at least have some options within the class in a PATCH... :thumbsup:

I hope that Seige and HamHill will present more options. :D

That said, it is a great DEMO and I very much enjoy the objective aspect. It is well done. The action is must faster then TDM. You truly recovered GRIN from your GRAW 1 MP. Nice 180. Congrats!

Semper Fi

[Merged into the existing Feedback thread]

Edited by Pave Low

Right on... a few of you have mentioned it...single shots are back!!! Love it. Way more effective. The way it should be. I may have switched to single shot 5 times in all my hours of GRAW 1. Now I barely have full auto selected.

Maybe 1 or 2 more hand frags for those kits that have them.

Reduce or remove red-dot indicator.. use a cross hair flashing or something similar to indicate a hit.

Would love to see kills/deaths in the weapon/team selection screen.

Draw distance needs to be increased. (Beats a dead horse)

Claymores?

Spotted Enemies in TDM show up on the Tactical Map. No red diamond ...just a blip on the map. Someone mentioned it earlier. Really makes a lot of sense, and would get more of a team situation working in TDM.

+'s

The sounds are f'n amazing. Movement sounds for players may be a bit high, but quality, accuracy and ehoes....amazing.

Graphics rock.

Rx4... Love this gun.

Smooth play for a demo.

Eagerly awaiting the final!!!!! :bounce:

The weapons at the 2-3 star level are fantastic! Why, oh why do you we not have the option to pick and choose our rifles in the MP (outside of choosing a different class all together) ?

Just to be sure...

Romulus, when you enter the TDM load page, you can see three classes of soldiers, at the bottom of each is a number 1 with bars on the left and the right. Click on those bars and it changes which weapon you want for each class. I think theres about 16 kits in each??

In RvS you have to work your way up through levels to get different guns and kits.

Romulus, when you enter the TDM load page, you can see three classes of soldiers, at the bottom of each is a number 1 with bars on the left and the right. Click on those bars and it changes which weapon you want for each class. I think theres about 16 kits in each??

In RvS you have to work your way up through levels to get different guns and kits.

TDM has 5 classes (Demolitions, Rifleman, Assault, Support, Sniper) and RvA has 6, 3 on each team (Ghosts have Rifleman, Sniper, Scout and Rebels have Assault, Support, Scrambler).

What weapons do you get past 2 stars? Especially the golden star???

if you want to fly through the ranks, stick with the g36 on the rebel side and headshot alot. It's worth about 3 vp points, and if your on the ghost team blow up adats. Even as a sniper, blowing up adats gets you alot of points. Work as a team and blow up all 3 adats, or defend all 3 adats, and you get 15vp points. All you need is 130 before the round changes and you have yourself a gold star :). I have gotten there a couple of times, and its fun.

What anoys me the most is that there is no lobby like [GR] had You can't go in the server to change anything.

You must start up a server and have limited server settings. I can't even set the number of players allowed. When you want to change anything you have quit and restart that annoys me.