GRAW Sales

Well I think a different story line might have sold beter then Mexico, with the prez being kid napped. Something more Realistic. I think this is why it hasnt reached the top 5. Not to mention the scrapting of the GR2 PC version didnt help. To top it off Rumors of no SDK scared more folx off from buying it. But this is just my take.

When GR 1 cam out How high did it Rank on sells?

GR1 was #14 on the month of its release

http://forums.3dretreat.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2099

From experience, I've found the storyline has little to do with the appeal of the game in the shooter genre. Although I personally prefer a strong storyline and character development, the majority of fans I know don't care much.

See how many threads there are about the storyline vs. gameplay in these forums.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GR1 was #14 on the month of its release

http://forums.3dretreat.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2099

From experience, I've found the storyline has little to do with the appeal of the game in the shooter genre. Although I personally prefer a strong storyline and character development, the majority of fans I know don't care much.

LOL Bob the builder was beating GR1!!!

Considering how much air-time this iteration got compared to the 360 version, that is a great achievement. There was very little hype over the PC version until JUSt before it was released. I'm guessing they got a great return on the money they invested in marketing the 360 version.

Edited by Druac_Blaise

Its still in the top 20 too which is great after 4 weeks.

Woho!

Sometime, in the future, when releasing other games, I would like a machine here in the office that goes "katching!" everytime a copy of said game is sold, that would be so cool!

NOT that the developer get really rich on the sales, It would be more as an encouragement..

:ph34r:

It's funny, but GR1 was what we would call a "slow burner" and didn't really come out of the gate all that hard in retail sales. It recieved critical acclaim, obviously with a game of the year award, but the overall sales numbers have been achieved by it's staying power.

It's also kind of funny to look at that NPD report on the 3dRetreat thread from 2001....... notice all the !@#$% Sims games on there! I think the Sims is single handidly keeping EA going..... Jeez. I wonder how many years running at least 1 Sims game has been in the top 10 at all times?

-John

It's funny, but GR1 was what we would call a "slow burner" and didn't really come out of the gate all that hard in retail sales. It recieved critical acclaim, obviously with a game of the year award, but the overall sales numbers have been achieved by it's staying power.

Lets hope this game is the same.

All i wanna know is how did this game get such a high scoring befor release?

Sorry but i dont see it.

Who are the people that give the scores?

Whoever they are need to go back to being the fry cook at mcdonalds.

Becouse its good? ;)

I agree with both of you.

1. Yes...it is a good game...SP any way.

2. The scores, most of them, are high. I'm not sure what reviewers look at when reviewing a game. But, if a game states it is a multiplayer game, it needs to be a complete multiplayer game and reviewers need to take that into consideration. This one is far from complete. They should have scored accordingly.

I score this game 7 out of 10 at best. That may even be a little high. If the multiplayer would have been released complete, with all the things missing (I won’t bother to list them here), the game could have made 9 out of 10 no problem. The only thing that would have prevented it from being a perfect score would be the graphics engine and no AA.

The only thing that would have prevented it from being a perfect score would be the graphics engine and no AA.

I don't think the graphics engine is a problem since it has a tremendous draw distance, you can't ask more from that these days.

Tho you are right about the no-AA-thing. After the june patch I'm sure that the game can be worth a very strong 8 or even a 9. And after some more patches it can probobly be worth a pure 9 :D

That's not good for a AAA game to be seven.

That's not a valid statement - the fact that a game like GRAW PC broke the top 10 in N. America already means success, no matter what publisher put it out (Ubi, EA or otherwise). There is no way that GRAW could ever compete with broad-appeal games like The Sims as it's appeal is more limited to the tac shooter crowd.

Do you see AAA game like Microsoft's Flight Simulator hitting #1 every time a new iteration comes out? No, but it is one of MS's biggest franchises and continues to sell to it's particular niche.

Seriously are you kidding???????? GR1 was a success . There is no success about GRAW. More like a disappointing work in progress.

All i wanna know is how did this game get such a high scoring befor release?

Sorry but i dont see it.

Who are the people that give the scores?

Whoever they are need to go back to being the fry cook at mcdonalds.

Too much pressure to patronize and too many high hopes is the reason. ObVIOUSLY no one wants to admit failure.

The GRAW distribution has serious problems. I live in Poland and I had to buy GRAW in UK because polish release date is set in July. It is funny that for an example Germans ( our west neighbours) had the game 2 months eariler :huh: Stuff like that affect sales for sure. Hopefully sales are good enough to make Ubi decide to create expansion pack for GRAW :fingersx:

The only real problem with GRAW is MP. If you are a MP-fan then I can understand your disappointment. But GRAW got pretty hight score cuz of the SP I suppose, and the SP is really good.

Anyway, I don't really understand how they think at gamespot. No offence. Sure they gave GRAW a fair score but how could thay give R6-Letdown an 8.0 and GR1 only a 7.3?!

The GRAW distribution has serious problems. I live in Poland and I had to buy GRAW in UK because polish release date is set in July. It is funny that for an example Germans ( our west neighbours) had the game 2 months eariler :huh: Stuff like that affect sales for sure. Hopefully sales are good enough to make Ubi decide to create expansion pack for GRAW :fingersx:

hopefully you get the retail of version 1.1... ??/1.2.... ????

that would help sales a lot i think

the game is a work in progress and i dont get how the reviewers gave it such high scores, probably a mixture of anticipation and because the 360 version was so good, dont get me wrong the SP is a decent game and enjoyable but the Co-op and MP is poor. The most honest review i have seen is the gamespot one.

SP Id give 8/10 but because the rest is a shambles and because of the graphics/optimization issues the game could only ever get a 6.5/10 for me as it is, hopefully the patch will improve that.

anyone know if the charts take into account refunds? i.e if a copy gets taken back does it deduct one from the weekly total?

Well unfortunatly it dropped a bit. But after patch's it might jump up some, hopefully

Top of the Pops

The Horde and Alliance are back on top.

by David Adams

June 15, 2006 - Though our last weekly Pops episode saw a wee upset -- Oblivion climbed over furry shoulders to stand in first place above World of Warcraft -- for the week ending June 3 we see Blizzard's bustling beast back at the top of the heap, while The Elder Scrolls is down at Number Five.

Meantime, never doubt a manly scientist seeking vengeance. No matter that its chart position here reflects retail numbers and not Steam sales: Half-Life 2: Episode 1 still took Number Two, just above The Sims 2.

Here are the best-selling PC games for the week ending June 3, as reported by The NPD Group.

1. World of Warcraft (Blizzard)

2. Half-Life 2: Episode 1 (Vivendi Games)

3. The Sims 2 (Electronic Arts)

4. Heroes of Might & Magic V (Ubisoft)

5. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (2K Games / Bethesda)

6. The Sims 2 Open For Business (Electronic Arts)

7. The Sims 2 Family Fun Stuff (Electronic Arts)

8. Guild Wars Factions (NCsoft)

9. Battlefield 2 (Electronic Arts)

10. Heroes of Might & Magic V: Limited Ed. (Ubisoft)

Here is another site:

These Are The Most Popular Games Visited on Game Rankings

Game Platform User

Rating Avg

Ratio

MotoGP 06 X360 7.5 82.2%

Rise & Fall: Civilizations at War PC 7.9 67.1%

Final Fantasy XII PS2 8.5 92.4%

Street Fighter Alpha Anthology PS2 8.0 81.6%

Half-Life 2: Episode One PC 8.4 88.2%

New Super Mario Bros. DS 8.9 89.6%

Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories PS2 7.9 79.3%

Cars PC 4.8 78.3%

Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel PSP 6.9 80.6%

Armored Core: Last Raven PS2 8.5 56.6%

Heroes of Might and Magic V PC 8.2 76.5%

Ship Simulator 2006 PC 10.0 --

Rockstar Games presents Table Tennis X360 7.7 82.6%

Urban Chaos: Riot Response PS2 8.2 73.1%

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion X360 9.3 94.0%

Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends PC 8.4 82.7%

Domination PC 5.8 69.1%

Hitman: Blood Money X360 8.0 81.5%

Urban Chaos: Riot Response XBOX 7.4 73.1%

Wildlife Park 2 PC 1.0 --

2006 FIFA World Cup PS2 6.5 76.7%

True Crime: New York City PC 3.9 53.7%

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow DS 8.8 90.4%

Point Blank DS DS 8.7 71.7%

Big Brain Academy DS 8.4 75.2%

Hitman: Blood Money PC 8.6 83.5%

SpellForce 2: Shadow Wars PC 7.8 81.2%

Need for Speed Carbon PS3 8.7 --

LocoRoco PSP 8.2 85.8%

Sensible Soccer 2006 PC 5.3 72.3%

Animal Crossing: Wild World DS 8.7 86.2%

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter X360 8.9 90.8%

The Secrets of Da Vinci: The Forbidden Manuscript PC 3.2 75.8%

Hitman: Blood Money PS2 8.5 82.3%

Advance Wars: Dual Strike DS 8.8 90.3%

Tomb Raider: Legend PSP 8.3 69.3%

Kingdom Hearts II PS2 8.6 88.7%

Red Faction II XBOX 7.2 77.3%

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion PC 8.9 93.2%

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter PC 7.5 81.0%

Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day DS 8.5 77.7%

Guild Wars Factions PC 8.0 85.5%

Metroid Prime: Hunters DS 8.6 85.9%

Monster Hunter Freedom PSP 8.0 71.0%

Field Commander PSP 7.9 81.9%

Ninety-Nine Nights X360 7.7 65.0%

Rush for Berlin PC 6.5 79.7%

The Movies: Stunts & Effects PC 7.8 86.0%

Halo 2 XBOX 8.3 95.1%

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas PS2 8.7 95.0%

I am not sure how this site ranks it's games. Here is the link:

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/popular.asp

Have fun.... :o

It blows my mind WOW is still doing so well. Maybe shooters just cant dominate that long?

Well BF2 did I guess.

Ohh well

I would suggest that the reviews are NOT based solely on single-player, but multi-player, as well. It only seems like they missed the mark because we're talking judging based upon our expectations. WE expected DM, TDM, and other modes, so we say the game is incomplete, and since they are giving us these modes, the game certainly could be viewed as incomplete. I think it is.

But what about a reviewer?

A reviewer isn't going to downgrade a game because it lacks DM, TDM, Hamburger Hill, etc.. The reviewer is going to grade the game on what the game has. The game has a great single-player campaign. And it has a complete multi-player mode -- Domination. Domination works as it should, and for that type of "conquer and control territory" game mode, it's better than BF2, the most popular game of that type. It get high marks for that. The reviewer isn't going to downgrade GR:AW because it lacks game modes the reviewer would have liked, and since the the single-player and Domination game modes work well, it gets high marks. Would they knock GR:AW a couple points for no TDM but NOT knock BF2 for the same thing? Of course not. The one issue the reviewers might consider a problem is the absence of server control, but that's not enough to downgrade the game significantly, and they probably wouldn't know about the extent of that issue unless they rented a GR:AW server themselves, which I'm sure they didn't.

As far as the graphics engine goes, the game is beautiful. Hardware is the problem. Should Half-life 2 have received a low rating because NVidia's top-of-the-line card at the release time could barely run it? No. And neither is GR:AW's graphics engine flawed because it most people can't run it well at high-res and high frames. You can call that a business error, but not an error in the engine itself. And you can figure that full-time videogame reviewers have the hardware and knowhow to get this game working smoothly and at high settings, so they saw a gorgeous game.

Are there problems with the game? Yes. Do we want and does the game need those additional MP modes? Absolutely. Is there significant work yet to be done? Yep. Are we justified in our disappointment? I would say we are.

But what mounts up to our disappointment doesn't add up to downgrades for a reviewer. The reviewers reviewed the game for what it was on high-end systems, not for what it wasn't, and not on low-end systems. And the game received understandably high marks.

Here is my review on MP team out of 10.

1) Game modes 3 out of 10 since there is only 1 game mode domination

2) Game Play 7 out of 10. Some bugs but even from the get go with them it was fun.

3) Graphics + physics 8 out of 10. If you could get rid of the jaggy's it would be a 10.

4) Server 5 out of 10 . It gets 5 for ease of use. Very easy to setup. Still has map cycling bug though, No IP support. Not much for a lobby and when dead it needs a timer so people don't leave.

5) Joining / Finding games / host for this 5 out of 10. Gamespy module is easy to find games with. Unfortunately it's buggy and there are no included alternatives currently.

6) Modability 8 out of 10 Seems easy for modders even without the added editor. Once the editor comes into play it will hit 10 out of 10.

7) Backwards compatibility with older pc's 3 out of 10. Video upgrade and 1GB of ram is a must.

8) Included anticheat 0 out of 10 None as of now...

9) Dev interaction and support 9 out of 10 Would be 10 but bo left ;)

10) Sounds 9 out of 10 Would be 10 but there are a few issues new patch may fix. (weapon sounds cutting out during warehouse and a few bugs with eax)

Now let me review GR1 on launch since i was there (demo and 1st month.. this is not DS or IT which fixed alot of this)

1) Game modes 7 out of 10

2) Game Play 8 out of 10

3) Graphics 6 out of 10 (with cards of that time... later 8 or 9 due to cards becoming available that could handle the extras. Also shadow bugs and such)

4) Server 6 out of 10 ( Lobby was cool and settings were nice but it crashed all the time. Also bugs like shooting claymores taking the server down and sound lagging the server like the MM1 and support brings this down. Some was fixed later but this was launch. Randomly also the server would just drop) It also needed a 16mb video card which was unheard of at that time. This lead to no rack servers for it's 1st year)

5) Joining finding games 7 out of 10 (UBI lobby worked but wasn't pretty. Direct IP support was there but we had to maintain our own list of good ip's as ASE wasn't supporting it yet)

6) Modability 6 out of 10 (igor wasn't pretty nor explained. Without it there wasn't too many changes that could be made. Later this of course became a 10)

7) Backwards compatibility 6 out of 10. To get yourself out of the red in fps you still needed a high end card at that time (then it was 32mb or more)

8) Included anticheat 5 out of 10 Replays were all we got and not actually put there as an anticheat but a way to watch yourself play. Later it was used in laddering. It also lagged the server and caused issues until a few patches / stronger servers a year or more later. There was no other included anticheat.

9) Dev interaction and support 1 out of 10 We (the average player) could not interact with devs Everything channeled through ubi and to get something fixed basically we had to petition and create a campaign. Even at the demise of GR1 there was still crater glitching and numerous bugs not ever fixed.

10) Sounds 8 out of 10 The sounds in GR1 were great but as mentioned before they effected net code which was not. (MM1 and Support... if you changed the sound files using the support lag fix that someone created, on the server... no lag from mm1 or support. no one liked this though as everything sounded like an mp5 or m203)

Now remember people this was both games for the 1st month. GR1 has had 5 years to develop into what it is now(that doesn't include how long it took to create in the 1st place). Graw has had 1 month. I'm sure those #'s will go up this year.

i agree with ya logos but i feel that when reviewing a game there are certain things that a game has to have nowadays, and in SP GRAW hits what it needs to get a good review but in MP there are minimum requirements for it to be considered good such as more than 1 game mode, kicking/banning issues etc etc