1up Preview

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did make an appeal to stick to the points i was making.

And the admins have made appeal after appeal after appeal for people not to start new threads for already existing topics.

Poita's analysis?!?!

Poita, I've seen some of the rough exchanges you've had with people over the last week or two and thought on a number of occasions that you were getting a raw deal, that you were being treated unfairly, but to start a new thread that duplicates THE hottest current topic AND title the thread with your name?!?! :blink: You knew exactly the type of reaction that would produce. You had to. You're too bright to play stupid, so please don't.

Well, I think agentkay already explained the meaning! :)

After a hands-on session with the first five single-player missions of their latest game, we think that the Ghosts deep, inherent stupidity may not be a single-player game killer anymore.

Meaning:  No more stupid AI like in the other versions.

grin17mq.gif

Edited by Vth_F_Smith

Thank's for your first comment Logos, i really appreciate it.

I guess i just don't see my thread that way. I mean sure i'm posting on an existing subject but i just thought seeing as it was soooo long it would be better to do a seperate one and have people discuss not only the video by what they think of my personal view of what i saw.

"Sorry to be ignorant on new gun models so I don’t know what the name of that famas looking hybrid is at the start but I don’t get the scope/sight. It doesn’t zoom in and give you better targeting so why have all that framing blocking a lot of your vision. You just get the red dot which is nice but I’d rather have regular iron sights and a more clear view. Of course I’m talking about guns here not the game cause the game just show the guns the way they are."

Umm, that would be the MRC I believe.

And they are using the red dot scope for added accuracy.

You can put a regular scope on them if you want, if you had been paying attention to the other threads and the customization of your guns.

http://www.ghostrecon.com/uk/ghostrecon3/w...and-support.php (First weapon)

Edited by SillyHalfMexican

To be honest even when i play games like Far Cry and use the M16 and see the littler iron circle in the iron sights i wonder why they don't saw a wide 'V' from the top andlook through the bottom of the V rather than the center of the little circle.

Ah i guessed modern materials would be used that's why i said ceramic. Do you really think they look plastic though?

Well, not the metal parts. :unsure:

Here's a photo of the SCAR

scar-l_eglm.jpg

I think they got it about right.

Added: One looks through a circle on the m16 iron sights to make sure you're looking straight, if I recall. If you had a 'loose' rear sight you could easily think you were aiming properly from a slight angle.

Ah i guessed modern materials would be used that's why i said ceramic. Do you really think they look plastic though?

Well, not the metal parts. :unsure:

Here's a photo of the SCAR

scar-l_eglm.jpg

I think they got it about right.

Added: One looks through a circle on the m16 iron sights to make sure you're looking straight, if I recall. If you had a 'loose' rear sight you could easily think you were aiming properly from a slight angle.

Picture doesn't load, hot linking the picture.

Put a URL instead.

http://world.guns.ru/assault/scar-l_eglm.jpg

I have to say that even though I like the look of the weapons and I’m very happy to have weapon view which I missed in GR1, I feel the surface textures of the weapons are a little dull and muddy. I don’t get a metallic feel or even a ceramic one or whatever they are made off. It’s got a real ‘drawing’ feel to it. Maybe this is because the vids are not full res though.

You dont want your weapon to look metallic, shiny or new! thats why you spray paint your weapon with krylon (ultra flat) to make it look dull and muddy!

Edited by Jonny Mopped

I have to say that even though I like the look of the weapons and I’m very happy to have weapon view which I missed in GR1, I feel the surface textures of the weapons are a little dull and muddy. I don’t get a metallic feel or even a ceramic one or whatever they are made off. It’s got a real ‘drawing’ feel to it. Maybe this is because the vids are not full res though.

You dont want your weapon to look metallic, shiny or new! thats why you spray paint your weapon with krylon (ultra flat) to make it look dull and muddy!

Yep, when I was getting a barrel for my paintball gun, I looked for beaded only.

Because if it were shiny, it would give off your position a lot easier.

So you look for non-reflective materials. As to not reflect sun light into the enemies eye.

:snipe:

Edited by SillyHalfMexican

I agree with you Poita on some things like what you wrote at the start ("Right off the bat the lighting looks wonderful. Not only the shadows and stuff but there is a quality to the lighting, don’t really know what it is but I think there is some technology being applied here to make it look great. A rich feeling to it"). Rich indeed, awesome. HDR lighting & bloom fx toned down some what i think? I gotta say the cross-com view (black & white) from your team perspective is the most realistic i have seen in-game to date, i personally like it. We have only seen GRAW in gameplay videos, and to be honest it looks and sounds fantastico, and like i said that's just looking at & hearing the game in preview videos so the quality will be reduced some what, wait till we have the game on our hard drives and we can play it, look at the D6 engine, and hear those awesome sounds. GRAW gonna rock ya. :grin1:

Great video, as I've said before this game looks superb.I wanted to share some of the smaller things I noticed this time around in this video that I think will really have a large impact on how great this game will be.

The dynamic shadow effect. These look fantastic as the detailed shadows go across the gun model.

The Reload animation is by far the best I've seen from any game. Its a very smooth and realistic looking reload.

The smoke and dust effects when shooting at walls, combined with the sound it gives off is awesome.

When the reviewer threw those grenades, the sound of the grenade echoing off the walls. Then hearing the mexican rebel yelling in the distance, sounded very real.

The sound while in the chopper was amazing as well, that light helicopter chatter lightly being overheard over the roters.

The explosions from the airstrikes looked incredible, I especially liked the ground shaking effect. It was tweaked to a point where it was just perfect. It isnt overexaggerated but its just enough to know that the target was hit hard.

The sound made when the player moves, the footsteps, armswinging etc. Is a huge step up from [GR].

The only thing I found that I could say I dont like. Would be when you are viewing the tac-map the sounds seem to fade. Wouldnt the sound be just as loud? Regardless, its just something minor that I picked at.

Again, great video and its going to be a great game. :grin1:

Edited by VeLocityChaos

Looks good to me....

Your talking about a scope with no gain...

well IRL they have plenty of gain. Like a red dot sight or eotech. The gain is beeing able to aquire targets faster and more accuratly and allow more FOV to help aquire new targets without bringing the sights down.

Iron sights IRL take up a large amount of your vision, and the little hole your looking threw is hard to keep focused (2 eyes open) while trying to look for more targets at the same time.

An Eotech for example ......

EOTech%20Reticle.jpg

eotech-511.gif

Games dont accuratly show how these sights work,

but just looking around the room in a firing position with the idea that that red Ret will be where ever you aim.. and your pretend weapon is invisible.

thats bassicly how it works IRL.

Right off the bat the lighting looks wonderful. Not only the shadows and stuff but there is a quality to the lighting, don’t really know what it is but I think there is some technology being applied here to make it look great. A rich feeling to it.

HDR. It looks hot, doesn´t it? ;)

I personally want the option to totally turn off the wire frame cross com and the info under it. I just don’t want it. I have to say though the way the cross com zooms to full screen then blends out of wire frame is supremely nice looking.

The screen on the right I’m sorry to say is ridiculous. In the middle of a fire fight when some pilot or general has something to tell me why the hell do I need a screen to come up showing his face. Totally unnecessary and a visual distraction from battle. I just pray that I can disable that though it’s not so big a deal as sp action is for me just something to do when there is not much mp going on online.

Important part of the game and the idea of the "AW" in GRAW. I´m happy that we can at least turn off the diamonds and have no outlines. ;)

The bottom left and right HUD icons for stance, gun etc are nice and minimal, but I don’t much like the slanting angle.

Just meant to illustrate the small LCD infront of your soldiers eye. I´m sure people will get used to it.

Sorry to be ignorant on new gun models so I don’t know what the name of that famas looking hybrid is at the start but I don’t get the scope/sight. It doesn’t zoom in and give you better targeting so why have all that framing blocking a lot of your vision. You just get the red dot which is nice but I’d rather have regular iron sights and a more clear view. Of course I’m talking about guns here not the game cause the game just show the guns the way they are.

They had the real guns in their hands and Ecotech sight is like that (minus the zoom, but thats a gameplay decision). You don´t like it, don´t mount the sight, mount a normal iron sight. ;)

I guess it’s poetic licence but I’m not sure why when it goes to tac map over head view the audio sounds distant. Your view is the view of the drone but you would still hear the loudness of the gun battles near you wouldn’t you?

Realistically speaking, yes the soldier is looking at a PDA like device, so yes the sound would be the same as in first person, however I could understand that this might be a limitation of the engine where the decision was either "no sound" or the "distant" sound. Honestly, when I first saw that scene, I actually prefered to hear the distant sound because I imagined to sit in the drone.

Man oh man the audio is great. The ricochet of rounds on the walls etc sounds cool, but more than that. I always lamented in GR1 how the psychological impact of suppressive wasn’t a factor. In GRAW though when someone gets a hailstorm of zings around them they might think twice about sticking their heads out. Can’t wait to try that out with the saw in mp and see what results I get.

Totally agree! I ran the clip over my big ass music sound system, and turned the sound up that the floor started to vibrate when the big explosions happened. I tell you it was INSANE, felt like I was in the middle of that mess! ;) Desmond knows his ######! ;)

The sprint speed etc seem perfect to me. The tracers are also perfect (for those who want them in). Not showy at all.

Agreed.

The ret is a bit odd. It’s very small. I can dig that but why make it so detailed. It’s so small that it just appears to be a opaque or clouded circle. If you are gonna have it too small to make out the design of the image then you might as well not have a design, Just make it a dot or a clear circle.

Its a small tribute to the original GR, but I´m sure it will be moddable if you don´t like it after actually playing it.

The way and amount of gun jerk is great. It’s gonna take some discipline and short bursts to be effective with our fire. The vehicle explosion and fire effect is just great. Far far better than the other versions mini nuke design. Oh don’t get me started on the dust zings from the wall when he shoots it. Fantastic, more visual effects that will make suppressive fire a real factor for once.

True dat. A nice balance of "Hollywood" and "reality".

That clay pot he smashes with one pistol round is a bit . . er it clashes with the part of the brain that calculates an estimation of what the effect probably would be. Those things are thick and heavy and probably wouldn’t even break at that size.

You do need some "Hollywood" effects, or the world might look bland and sterile. It´s the same like the argument about taking a car apart with a few bullets. Yes its not perfectly realistic, but it spices things up and makes them look interesting. Its a nice compromise between "hollywood" and "reality".

I know it’s an early build so maybe this is not a factor but when he runs towards the big palm tree it’ seems to adjust it’s texture quality or something at every step. That could be distracting.

To me it looked like the guys video card wasn´t using 16AF or the LOD slider wasn´t maxed out. After all they had to run fraps in the background. And even if thats not the case, show me a game with levels and details of that size without LOD taking place. ;) I have hope that it will be possible to max out details even further for cards that will be released in a year. Having a game to look "nicer" as the time passes by is one of the great things of PC gaming. (LOD = Level of Detail)

A single pistol shot through the palm fronds shakes the whole tree. It would either pass through being so small and fast with only localized quivering or have minimal bransh shakage. Then a grenade blast just near by doesn’t shake it at all.

Not the retail version and fixable.

You wouldn´t believe how much carbon fiber actually is in these modern rifles and these guns are painted to actaully take away any shine or metal look so that the enemy doesn´t see you from a distance. The silenced handgun has a shiny part that is suppose to be shiny because its a part of the barrel/slider.

Yes I admit I´m a GRAW PC fanboy, but its my honest opinion as well. The problem with games, or movies, music or whatever else, people who make them will NEVER be able to make everyone 100% happy. I´m not saying that I find EVERYTHING perfect, I know I could nitpick myself about one or two things, but not only they are no gamebreakers to me, I´m confident they are moddable and last but not least I personally consider it a good choice to shut up about something what I haven´t played first myself. I´m not attacking you or anyone who is nitpicking or voices their opinions, you are all welcome to it, but do know how you would feel after working your ass off for MONTHS and finally finished the biggest part of the project to have people jumping on it who never even played it? I´m sure you wouldn´t be happy. ;)

Nothing personal, we live all in a free world and have the right for our opinions (thank god). Have a great holiday guys!

Edit: Quoting doesn´t work, but the "italic" parts are Poitas points, mine are non-italic.

Edited by agentkay

About the sound while in the TacMap:

Perhaps one reason for that is simply so you can hear yourself think. Granted, it would be more realistic to hear everything as you would while playing, but again, it's a gameplay issue.

You can still hear what is going on, just not at full volume so you aren't being bombarded with loud weapon sounds while trying to make critical tactical decisions in the middle of a firefight.

Some may prefer the latter to add to the urgency or intensity of the situation, but personally I think it is fine.

A single pistol shot through the palm fronds shakes the whole tree. It would either pass through being so small and fast with only localized quivering or have minimal bransh shakage. Then a grenade blast just near by doesn’t shake it at all.

Watch the video again, the grenade that was thrown close to the tree does cause it to move, the other two were way behind the tree.

You know, I was just going to say that too, but the more I look at it, I'm not sure if it is the tree moving or some actual heat distortion caused by the blast.

Although afterward you do see the leaves swaying slightly.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

Yeah as kay said, certianly none of my points are game breakers. GRAW is well and truly fixed on my game radar. The only thing that could stop me from buying it now would be for it to be cancelled. He he that fear was but to bed long ago though eh lads.

The first nade causes no movement at all of the tree, the second and third do a bit. Quite realistic actually. Just the pistol shot sems a bit over done. Like the base of the tree was hit by a cannon ball. ;)

Well i hope any devs who read my post dont slap their foreheads. I don't mean any of my comments as actual complaints. More items of interest commented on.

There were quite a list of things about GR1 that i didn't love but that didnt stop me from a five year addictin to it. In fact i pined for smoke nades in GR1 for five years and now i got em in GRAW so i'm more than happy.

Edited by Poita

Hello there all.

I am a new member to this forum but have been here since those ghost recon was introduced to the masses. Love this update to the great game and am gobsmacked by GRINS involvement in the forums. :)

I for one will be buying this game for me and a friend to play online.

just one thought on the video though. Did anybody else notice the lack of the AGM hitting the ground targets. I mean i would of thought you would see the missile before it hit the targets even if it was just a quick trail of light.

This does not matter though either way it sure looks the business.

Respect the GRIN :D

Hello there all.

I am a new member to this forum but have been here since those ghost recon was introduced to the masses. Love this update to the great game and am gobsmacked by GRINS involvement in the forums. :)

I for one will be buying this game for me and a friend to play online.

just one thought on the video though. Did anybody else notice the lack of the AGM hitting the ground targets. I mean i would of thought you would see the missile before it hit the targets even if it was just a quick trail of light.

This does not matter though either way it sure looks the business.

Respect the GRIN :D

Hey GhostSniper, welcome to the forums.

The Sound Is SICK!!! :grin1:

I cranked that baby up and I have to say, even in a preview video...the sound is awesome. I can't wait to drive my family nuts playing this game.

As for the AI, every thing we have heard and seen so far points to some well coded AI from GRIN. The way that one teammate was moving up that ramp on his knees...inch by inch...that was awesome.

I was a little worried about the whole cross-coms thing on the PC, but these videos are showing how awesome that is too. The way you have the wire-frame view until you zoom in. That rocks.