1up Preview

The

XM8 looks very nice in that lan footage. Although it's a bit weird the when the iron sights are up and it's dead center screen (yeah i know i'm never totally happy), i mean in all fps games i always feel the iron sights or scope should be to the right a bit to simulate it beeing looked through the right eye. I think one of the scoped views in a recent GRAW PC vid actually is to the right a bit so maybe GRIN think so too.

I think i know the reason for this one... If you ever played GR1 in MP... you know about tight left peeks due to the viewpoint being over the left eye... when centered there will be no tight peeking... as both left and right you will have to expose the same amount. Good choice by GRIN to avoid that issues

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah the recent lan footage looks better. The guns look kind of sharp. Strange but the footage from the monitors taken from a distance is a lot more clear than the other stuff. Why do they keep releasing low res stuff? Even if i only had a 56k modem i'd rather wait 5 hours and download some hi res stuff. As it is most of us have broadband so whats the deal?

The XM8 looks very nice in that lan footage. Although it's a bit weird the when the iron sights are up and it's dead center screen (yeah i know i'm never totally happy), i mean in all fps games i always feel the iron sights or scope should be to the right a bit to simulate it beeing looked through the right eye. I think one of the scoped views in a recent GRAW PC vid actually is to the right a bit so maybe GRIN think so too.

I"ll have to re install Far Cry to check but i'm sure the circle was at the back and the 'nub' at the front. When i looked through it the donut part just seemed a little thick and the hole small. Let's try to get some screenies up if anyone can manage it.

Not sure what your looking for Poita. Hope that helps

farcry00062iy.th.jpg

Yeah the recent lan footage looks better. The guns look kind of sharp. Strange but the footage from the monitors taken from a distance is a lot more clear than the other stuff. Why do they keep releasing low res stuff? Even if i only had a 56k modem i'd rather wait 5 hours and download some hi res stuff. As it is most of us have broadband so whats the deal?

The XM8 looks very nice in that lan footage. Although it's a bit weird the when the iron sights are up and it's dead center screen (yeah i know i'm never totally happy), i mean in all fps games i always feel the iron sights or scope should be to the right a bit to simulate it beeing looked through the right eye. I think one of the scoped views in a recent GRAW PC vid actually is to the right a bit so maybe GRIN think so too.

I"ll have to re install Far Cry to check but i'm sure the circle was at the back and the 'nub' at the front. When i looked through it the donut part just seemed a little thick and the hole small. Let's try to get some screenies up if anyone can manage it.

Not sure what your looking for Poita. Hope that helps

farcry00062iy.th.jpg

I think he was looking for the M-16 from Far Cry.

Ah i guessed modern materials would be used that's why i said ceramic. Do you really think they look plastic though?

Well, not the metal parts. :unsure:

Here's a photo of the SCAR

scar-l_eglm.jpg

I think they got it about right.

Added: One looks through a circle on the m16 iron sights to make sure you're looking straight, if I recall. If you had a 'loose' rear sight you could easily think you were aiming properly from a slight angle.

Picture doesn't load, hot linking the picture.

Put a URL instead.

http://world.guns.ru/assault/scar-l_eglm.jpg

That picture of the SCAR is outdated. That grenade launcher is 1st gen. Massive changes there for the actual system.

I did make an appeal to stick to the points i was making.

And the admins have made appeal after appeal after appeal for people not to start new threads for already existing topics.

Agreed, there is no need for individual threads to be started discussing what is already being covered in another thread. :nono:

Don't be surprised if this thread gets merged with the video thread when I wake up in the morning.

I guess the FarCry m16 doesn't have ture iron sights view, maybe i was thinking of a different game. Anyway the circle at the back always seems to have a tiny hole but i guess it's ok for taking your time at shooting at objects in the distance.

ZJJ if them's the hard and fast rules about threads then you are within your rights to merge this one.

Personally I think there can be various approaches and 'tones' to different discussions on the same topic. So i would appeal to you to be a bit flexible on that rule. One massive discussion thread for such a big deal as the new video can leave people feeling a bit disjointed, like 200 people trying to have a discussion in one room. It can work better if those 200 break up into 3 or 4 smaller groups. I'm not telling you guys how to run a site but i just think allowing a few different threads on one major topic could be good for us users.

Of course i realise that this may result in every man jack of us starting a thread but i think there are some of us who are likely to start a thread and most will just jump between them.

I'll understand if you zap my thread though. Although it does seem to be poppular and there are some nice relaxed discussions going on so far.

Does anyone know why the xm8 was cancelled. Details. Like for what reason. I know it didn't meet specifications but what happened. I wanted one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM8_rifle

Among the complaints during testing were too low a battery life for the weapon's powered sight system and some ergonomics issues. Two other key issues were reducing the weapon's weight and increasing the heat resistance of the hand guard, which would start to melt after firing too many rounds.

During the same period, the Army came under pressure from other arms makers to open up the XM8 to competition. The main argument was that the weapon that was being adopted was a substantially different system than for the original competition that ATK and H&K had actually won (see XM29). Other issues were that the Army has a legislated obligation to prefer U.S.-based manufacturers, and that a previous agreement with Colt Defense required the Army to involve Colt in certain small-arms programs. The XM8 program was put on hold by the Army. The exact reason why this happened is a matter of debate; some combination of the aforementioned technical issues, funding restrictions, and outside pressure being involved.

Shortly after being put on hold ...it was cancelled.

Edited by Xeno

from what i saw from the vids so far....man, this game is wicked! :thumbsup:

when i first heard, that grin is going to develop the game instead of rse, i was quite sceptical. now i'm happy grin is doing it....after playing the 360-version.

also i think its quite rare that team-members of developers attends fan-forums as much as the grin-boys do. so :thumbsup:

me thinks i need a new pc. :unsure: :'(

Finally got it downloaded. Awesome footage - nice to finally see how this game is going to "feel". I'm really impressed with everything.

One question I do have: on the helicopter insertion it seems that the doorgunner is firing at ground targets, but you can't hear the weapon at all. Does a blackhawk make enough noise to drown out the sound of that weapon firing?

Finally got it downloaded. Awesome footage - nice to finally see how this game is going to "feel". I'm really impressed with everything.

One question I do have: on the helicopter insertion it seems that the doorgunner is firing at ground targets, but you can't hear the weapon at all. Does a blackhawk make enough noise to drown out the sound of that weapon firing?

Helos are quite loud. While I haven't been able to fire a weapon from a bird, engines and rotorblades drown out darn near everything.

Helos are quite loud. While I haven't been able to fire a weapon from a bird, engines and rotorblades drown out darn near everything.

Thanks WK. I've been in military helicopters before, but never a Blackhawk (mostly Alloette) and I've never hear the doorgunners either. Was just curious, really. The helicopter in that clip DID sound very loud indeed :)

Did you Guys noticed that GL shot at 4:56 min ? Player fired Grenade launcher and nade came form the righ side of the screen ....  :hmm:

You can kinda tell because the other one he shot about 20 seconds before didn't have a white path behind it. So hopefully it is from another helicopter.