layoffs at GRIN... [Studio now closed!]

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not including the full production time with pre-production and stabilization for gold master, no. All in all it was something more like 13-14 months I think until it was out the door.

Production time was about 9 months with constantly changing directives from the movie company and crappy content from the outsourcing studio which we had to redo or heavily optimize to work on the consoles. In July last year the game was scraped and started over on though, so everything before that regarding game design and gameplay code was canned but most of the art was kept, so about 6 months from that point to first gold master submission, yes.

Haven't posted on this board for quite some time. However, I periodically check in on the community and see how things are going. When I read the news on the front page. I had to come in and post. I know how it feels to be laid off, I feel for you all. I wish you guys & gals all of the best.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone. Just dropping by to tell you I finally got a new job. It took a bit of time in the current state of the games industry, but starting Monday 7/12 I'll be Technical Artist at Blackrock Studios in Brighton, UK working on the Split Second action racing game.

Another update is that most of the people from Grin has found new employments. I think about 10-12 got jobs at Starbreeze Studios and 3-5 at DICE. A couple have started smaller companies to develop iPhone games and such, but many have left Sweden to find job at places like Blizzard, ILM, Splash Damage, Guerrilla Games, Media Molecule, Frontier Development, Codemasters, Relentless, Blackrock Studios and more.

The brains behind the Diesel engine has started their own company called Bitsquid, which has promised to show of a brand new engine at GDC next year, which will be interesting.

So things have started to work out for most of us. :)

Hi everyone. Just dropping by to tell you I finally got a new job. It took a bit of time in the current state of the games industry, but starting Monday 7/12 I'll be Technical Artist at Blackrock Studios in Brighton, UK working on the Split Second action racing game.

Congrats, Wolfsong! :clapping:

*note to self: need to contact members whose names have "GRIN" in them to see what to change it to. * :ph34r: