Field of View strange huh?

Ghost9, I explained it the best I could, but yet you seem to be the only one that is clueless. Start a game of Quake 3 and bring up your console by pressing `. Type in cg_fov 75 then change it back to 90. You will see the huge difference. Good luck!

if you had read through you'd have seen i found what it does. It pinches the image towards the center of the screen unless you have fisheye. That's all you had to say. The thing that would bother me about that is everything you see will become distorted and things you shoot at in the middle of the screen will be harder to see as they are getting squished and moved farther away. I was at first worried by this topic cause I thought you guys were trying to change the game around. but now that I see it's just a vid setting the only concern i have is that it shows more than the regular player. but I guess anyone could change it if they wanted it. same thing as if you had a widescreen monitor or higher res screen who would see more than me on 1024.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ghost9, I explained it the best I could, but yet you seem to be the only one that is clueless. Start a game of Quake 3 and bring up your console by pressing `. Type in cg_fov 75 then change it back to 90. You will see the huge difference. Good luck!

if you had read through you'd have seen i found what it does. It pinches the image towards the center of the screen unless you have fisheye. That's all you had to say. The thing that would bother me about that is everything you see will become distorted and things you shoot at in the middle of the screen will be harder to see as they are getting squished and moved farther away. I was at first worried by this topic cause I thought you guys were trying to change the game around. but now that I see it's just a vid setting the only concern i have is that it shows more than the regular player. but I guess anyone could change it if they wanted it. same thing as if you had a widescreen monitor or higher res screen who would see more than me on 1024.

I'm glad we came to an understanding.

Let's hope GRIN will add an option, console command, or something for us.

i think that's weird that you get motion sick from it. strange to me.

A lot of people get motion-sickness with certain games, either because of the FOV or the fluency of motion.

Particularly games that run on the Unreal or Quake-engines have this distinct negative effect on players, but other games can cause it too.

For most of those players, GR1 didn't have this negative effect on them because of the engine and a proper FOV.

i think that's weird that you get motion sick from it. strange to me.

A lot of people get motion-sickness with certain games, either because of the FOV or the fluency of motion.

Particularly games that run on the Unreal or Quake-engines have this distinct negative effect on players, but other games can cause it too.

For most of those players, GR1 didn't have this negative effect on them because of the engine and a proper FOV.

interesting that you say "proper". To me, the quake and UT engines have the proper field of view, and changing it to the other stuff would be a distortion. I guess it all depends on what games you start out playing. I didn't think GR1 had a diff FOV besides the zoom stuff. Other than that I thought it was standard. I feel sympathy about motion sickness cause I hate that, but as far as dimensions go the way it is, seems to be a normal FOV to me, though you don't have periphial vision. To change that would stretch the perspective, and distort how things would look in reality, though at the same time would simulate periphial vision. Since I'm looking at a flat screen, I expect to see through it like i would a window. Not trying to say either way is right or wrong, i'm just saying that the way it is would be the "proper" or "normal" way to me.

the reason i was confused in the before is because a FOV in photography means something a little different. photos and movies rarely have this pinched effect. Do movies and tv also make these same people motion sick?

Edited by Ghost9

This game gives me motion sickness just like HL2 did before I was able to change the FOV. If there isn't any way to change the FOV soon i'm going to have to refrain from playing this game, because I start to get really sick after 20 minutes or so.

I remember playing all the way through the original Half-Life back when it came out (I was in my mid teens) without having any trouble with motion sickness. Now if I go back and play it, I HAVE to change the FOV or I simply cannot play for longer than 20 minutes or so without getting sick. So I guess for me, the problem sort of developed as I got older. I don't ever get "real" motion sickness though.

Edited by ydoucare

Do movies and tv also make these same people motion sick?

They sure do.

People suffering from balance-instability (resulting in motion-sickness) have a disease called: Meniere-disease.

Fast moving pictures, games, abnormal FOV or slight changes in balance (like shipmovements) can make these people very sick, even after a few minutes.

I'm partly suffering from this. It's not as intrusive for me as for some others, but I can notice it for sure.

Edited by deleyt

"Normal" fov in fpses has traditionally been 90. The first game I played with a tighter one was Halo (which was 70). Devs claimed it "worked" bc you had a helmet on. I too change settings when allowed to 110 to get more awareness, but if everyone's on the same page in mp it's not that big a deal. I'd sure *like* to change it, if they saw fit to add that possibility.

We request for the FOV to be user settable
Hehe, yeah, I'd like to be able to set the FOV to 180 degrees so it simulates real-life. :rofl: And then I can do a triple split-screen with three monitors all around me for true realism. :lol:

Like Q3, Q2 had a setting for it. I remember people saying that if they went higher than 100 or 110, everything started warping.

Remember, the higher the FOV, the more the game is rendering and the bigger the performance hit.

Bottom line: FOV is really just a developer's tweak. Don't look to add it to the list of enhancements for GRAW.

• 2 weeks later...

Please fix or add a FOV setting GRIN!!!!

The FOV feels wrong. I've played alot of RVS and tried most of the other FPS's, and never felt bothered like this. Its so narrow, its like your scoped when your not.

Needs a setting in the files or something.......

Edited by RipCity

not really. if there are demos of those games maybe i'll go take a look.

CC: First to Fight is probably the worst you could try. FOV made me nauseous within 4-5 minutes of playing ... the level design made it even worse.

GR3's isn't that bad but I agree it feels a little tight. Movement becomes frustrating when you can't "see" right ... very disorienting. Seems like GRIN would've paid more attention to something like this considering all the time dedicated to the "body-awareness" features.

The FOV is Tied to the Body awareness Feature. If you could change the FOV it may cause Clipping issues and the gun will look warped

We have several people in our squad who are hypersensitive to the FOV issue. CoD's FOV is less than 90 and those guys used to get sick to their stomachs in a half hour of gameplay. From time to time I'd get just the least bit of a headache. GRAW doesn't do it to me as bad, but my brain tells me something isn't right.

If you're having motion sickness issue, try food or drinks with ginger, it's a known home remedy and in my experience works fairly well.

The FOV does seem tighter than the standard 90, but, given that the human eye is supposedly 60 degrees, it's hard to argue that there is a "correct" FOV. A fisheye lens is basically just a really large POV, 180 degrees maybe, the larger you go, the more geometric distortion you'll notice, especially along the periphery of your vision. I'd imagine there are some MP ramifications in allowing the FOV to be user-settable . . . one could probably set it obscenely high, camp an intersection, and spot movement down 3 of the four streets without moving.

If you're having motion sickness issue, try food or drinks with ginger, it's a known home remedy and in my experience works fairly well.

Here's the strange thing, I don't get motion sickness. I'm sure you've seen those big gyroscope things you get inside of and spin around on all 3 axis. I used to do those at Santa Cruz and after a 5 minute "ride" I could get off and not even walk dizzy.

• 2 months later...

Has there been any news of a fix for the FOV, or a setting to modify? I haven't been playing because of this. I have the retail dvd. :(

nope.

at first i could see the issue as I get motion sick really easily, but i play all the time and it hasn't bothered me at all.

I find it easier to think of FPS FOV's as such:

Normal human FOV is about 200degrees wide. Visual acuity drops off SIGNIFICANTLY outside of maybe 120-ish (don't remember PRECISELY), though. If a FPS gives you more or less 90 degrees of CRISP, CLEAR, FOCUSED FOV, then you're doing pretty good.

ALSO, in NVG's you make out like a freakin' BANDIT on most FPS'. For the AN/PVS-7 family of NVG's, the FOV is 40 degrees. LOL I love watching someone walk around at night in NVG's for the first time. GREAT FOR LAUGHS! (Should point out I was once an NVG driving instructor at Fort Stewart/Hunter AAF) Scary as all get-out riding with them, though. In the FPS game, you still get the full FOV unchanged (in most cases, and certainly in GRAW and [GR] vanillas). Want REALISM? Narrow the screen down to a circular 40 degree FOV in NVG and see how fun the night maps are...

LOL I didn't put on the eyepieces in Iraq, helped with moving around a room alot better, so I still had some spatial awareness on my side. Worked pretty well a few times, so I never had to worry about bonking around. Matter of fact, I still remember my CO looking at me weird, I guess he was either amazed how I never bonked around, or the fact I was wearing -7Bs like that. Dunno but as said, it helped alot. Course I could be spotted with green eyes, but then again, when you're next to a major road, stuff like that happens.

However, I never really thought of the FOV issue, never bothered me. Then again I have a widescreen laptop, so I guess I get that "wide" look anyways.

Edited by EricJ

Despite having read this thread many times over the last few weeks, I've never noticed this "bug". The FOV feels "normal" for me. I'm not saying there isn't an issue - it's just not one I've noticed.

It doesn't feel normal to me. When I look downwards, the floor seems to be right on your face.