Field of View strange huh?

The worst of all with GRAW is the feeling that you are "zoomed in" while playing.

Really annoying, noticed from start but tried to accept it but no.

What's up with that anyway?

Compared it too GR1. Big difference.

Its pretty much like playing the game with NO peripheral vision

From .com, says it all...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:Db::Korven+Apr 27 2006, 06:26 PM-->

QUOTE(::Db::Korven @ Apr 27 2006, 06:26 PM)

hehe that was me. Yea, I'm really disappointed with the extremely low fov. For people that don't realize it, load up the good old orginal GR or really any fps game for that matter. Now compare your in game vision to GRAW. Notice how every other FPS doesn't make it seem like your looking into a narrow tunnel.

Edited by Desolator

:Db::Korven+Apr 27 2006, 06:26 PM-->
QUOTE(::Db::Korven @ Apr 27 2006, 06:26 PM)

hehe that was me. Yea, I'm really disappointed with the extremely low fov. For people that don't realize it, load up the good old orginal GR or really any fps game for that matter. Now compare your in game vision to GRAW. Notice how every other FPS doesn't make it seem like your looking into a narrow tunnel.

Ever tried Quake 3? Pretty bad FOV too.

Things like that can be fixed, atleast i assume it can be fixed

GR1 didn't even have a weapon view in it so how can you judge the field of view? GR1 had that adjustable zoom crap that made your field of view change, so if you wanted to compare it you have to look at GR1's view from the initial point. Same thing as GRAW. But in graw you can't zoom into things that are far off in the distance. and in graw you have your gun which gives you perspective.

The fov is quite a bit larger when I run the game in 16:9 mode at 1280x720, I tested it a minute ago. Anyway, just sharing some info as it might help someone. I personally don´t mind the normal fov in the 4:3 aspect ratio resolutions as I always game in 1280x960.

Edited by agentkay

GR1 had fov 90 afaik. There was a 'trick' with Threat Indicator that allows you to 'scan' the positions of enemies from the outside to the inside, and this was extremely accurate.

Think about it..

fov 90 + theath indicated splitted into 4 parts :)

This was mainly used in Clanladder since all/most other ladders didn't use TI

I think the FOV is fine. I could maybe use a bit more angle, but just because this thread makes me think about it...

Try and play "Close Combat - First to Fight"... Now that one feels like you've got a 4x zoom all the time!

Cheers,

The FOV is not too bad but I still get a strange "tunnel effect" like Desolator said.

I'd prefer zoom out or something lol, I don't know it just feels wrong for me.

I don't only compare it to GR1, I noticed right away first time I started GRAW something wasn't ok with the view. Some like it some don't. :)

:whistle:

fov is tighter and also there are more segments on the threat indicator.

It was fine for me to be honest, i had to increase my mouse sensitivity because i couldn't turn around as quick.

The combat scope is slick if you ask me i really liked it.

After trying it i'm still not a fan of having that huge amount of screen real-estate being dominated by the weapon though, if it was 2/3 to 1/2 the size i'd be happier.

turning your aspect ratio to 5:4 helps s small tiny but not much little itty bitty bit. But yeah... I agree but if it were not this close you would not be able to see a damned thing in the distance.

Turn your ratio to 16:9 and you get about a 90% pitch but things become elongated and you can't see hardly a thing in the distance.

Kinda cool to try tho.

I am having some problems with motion sickness in GRAW after playing it for a while.

I am having the same problems in just a few other titles: Vietcong, First 2 Fight and Oblivion, so its definately linked to a FOV less than 90.

I too am hoping for a configuration file parameter to set the FOV in the retail game.

;) Mike

Grin Desmond had a rant about him using 90 fov, but others can do as they please (in short and freely interpreted). Anyone who knows were to quote (from at thread that was in “news”)

So I guess you can mod the fov and perhaps the zoomed feeling disappears for those who got it.

:Db::Korven+Apr 27 2006, 09:31 PM-->

QUOTE(::Db::Korven @ Apr 27 2006, 09:31 PM)
The FOV is not too bad but I still get a strange "tunnel effect" like Desolator said.

I'd prefer zoom out or something lol, I don't know it just feels wrong for me.

I don't only compare it to GR1, I noticed right away first time I started GRAW something wasn't ok with the view. Some like it some don't.  :)

:whistle:

seems the same as every other game i've ever played.

Hehehe, yep its annoying :P. Im bouncing from my teammates and walls all the time :D. It realy need some fix.

And if u want to compare it to GR1, there is only one thing that remind me this - playing mp5 with zoom all the time :D.

Edited by Anarchy

I'm trying to understand what about the FOV do you see that makes it feel zoomed? I don't get it. Just cause the weapon is up higher? I notice in most games you'll see less of a weapon as if your gun is on your hip. but other than that I really don't understand where you guys are talking about the zoom or tunnel feeling. They went for realism so when you have your gun up it's by your face, and that's what it looks like on the screen to me.

How is the fov any different from any other game? I don't get it.

the games i play: BF2, CoD2, America's Army, CS:S, UT2k4, and whatever else tickles me at the time.

I don't see a FOV difference between any of these really.

Edited by Ghost9