GRAW PC trailer

It may have been mentioned before in some developer interview that the bank robbery scene in the movie "Heat" was the model. The sound is BIG!

:yes: Wow, this is really exciting! For those who didnt see heat, i made a little clip about the bank robbery scene Click!

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may have been mentioned before in some developer interview that the bank robbery scene in the movie "Heat" was the model. The sound is BIG!

:yes: Wow, this is really exciting! For those who didnt see heat, i made a little clip about the bank robbery scene Click!

Yea Reb TY! :thumbsup: It was long ago I watched it (probably several years), however I still remember that "break away" Robert de Niro does with his M16 (I think it was) when most of his bad guys are down. I think the most memorable scenes are when he is on his own, firing the last rounds down the streets... Make a clip for me!

I'd love to see and HEAR that again. Looking forward to experience that when squeezing off single shots/bursts in GRAW! Excellent pick of inspiration desmond22 :thumbsup:

Wicked. Now that's what I'm looking forward to. What I really like is how distance can affect the sound. So you can hear gun shots off in the distance and it adds to the ambient noise, rather than just having a "noise"track in the background. I'm hoping the sound is pretty big like you say. Some games make gun shots and explosions sound like they were made for the original nintendo. You know what i'm talkin about, with the generic sounds they used 100 years ago.

Very much looking forward to being emersed in the game both with sound and visuals. The sound especially is the thing that can scare the crap outta you when you're sneakin around.

Will we still feel surrounded by the sound if we are only using a two speaker set up? Or is it necessary to use a surround sound setup or surround headphones to get the full effect?

Will walls muffle or silence gunshots? or is it one of those deals where no matter where you are you can hear things from everywhere. A lot of games now you can hear everything and instantly pinpoint exactly where on the map it's coming from. I think it'd be awesome if walls actually acted like walls and dampened sound.

Edited by Ghost9

Hello GRiN_desmond22, and what do you do at GRIN??  :D

Ps.

loll

36 posts from Bo today. (1st place in todays top 10 posters)

215 posts in this thread in less then 10 hours.

I'm responsible for all sound effects - and I must say it saddens me that almost no one seems to care for the sound. Isn't the sound half the experience? Doesn't the sound have the power to make or break your view of an entire game? Nooo, let's discuss gfx cards and detail settings! Yeah, let's do that! And let's just talk about the expectations regarding the game's visuals only, yeah that's interesting. Really, yeah. 'Cause that's the only area where things can be next-gen, yeah. Oh yeah.

Oh, did I ruin your gfx praise party with my... slight bitterness?

Well dude, lets talk about sound......lets talk about it indeed!

What new techniques in sound technologies/tricks are developers using these days. What are you guys using for GRAW?

In what way are you taking advantage of creative's Xfi system? I assume you are.

OMG gun sounds dude!!!!!

Are all sound effects in game now including gun sounds stereo as opposed to the original game's mono sounds?

What were your sound sources for the game? Did you guys go out to a gun range and fired gun shots and recorded them?

Tell us stuff man!!

Hey, you offered!! :whistle:

That is totally wicked! The gun battle after the bank robbery is one of, if not the greatest shoot outs ever filmed. :o= If, for nothing else, the sound quality. I just watched that movie last weekend and it geared me to play some FPS.

You guys are definitely on the right track!

More movies and sound bites please... :please:

[30+]Darknight

Looks great, cant wait. Only problem I see besides the game itself is the much hated copyprotection Ubisoft is going to use on this. I have experienced StarForce problems myself so I'm not lookin forward to installing another game with StarForce :( But that isn't GRIN's problem. Great work :)

Anyone else think with all these GRIN devs here that they are done? ;)

EDIT: Conserning mods, anyone gonna do a totalt GR1 conversion? That would be great!

I'm a bit worried too. I have never had a problem with Starforce until Lockdown. Suddenly I was experiencing random BSOD's not just in Lockdown but in general.

Took me a while to trace the problem but removed the SF drivers 3 weeks ago and my system has been stable since, not one BSOD.

I know nothing about SF and I didn't buy LETDOWN. But if the rest of the way that game was implemented (by forum posts and my experience with the demo) is any indication, it may have just been the way they implemented it into their game, I don't know. But every thing else about that game sucks as well.

looks pretty hot to me.  Question...Is the entire game going to take place in an urban environment?

For the most part, if the 360 version is any indication, yes.

No. You have elevated terrain aswell.

I guess I stand corrected, but what do you mean by 'elevated terrain'? I don't get that.

Uncle Buck your close to right. I read it as only "City". There are parks (read more vegitation and rough terrain) and hillsides with a few lakes and more mud covered grounds. There are no deep jungles, or moutainranges though so that is correct.

I prefer more natural outdoor environments. This is what GR was about in the first place. Seems GRAW will be lacking this. As cool as they were, I don't want to be stuck in the Embassy and Vilnius the whole game. Too bad, I was hoping for a new game. Looks great other than that if you're looking for those kinds of environments.

I'm confused by your comment. You say that GR was more natural outdoor environments and then you say you were hoping for a new game. This IS a new game in an Urban environment.

That being said, lets hope they do some more Rural environments with the MANY awesome expansions I just know they will release!!! :rofl:

Edited by Uncle_Buck

Hows the sound been done for this ... I assume EAX/Xfi have been abused  :o=

What software do you use for fx? ... is it in-house type engine like for the game or do you use off-the-shelf packages for mastering / eq / compression etc?

Is it gather raw recorded audio ... polish up and trim .. master ... put into fancy in-house rendering s/w to and the spacial effects to work on certain levels for audio settings in-game?

3D panning (like used in Raven Shield) ???

Do you use valve compression on sounds to get that fat punch in on certain parts?

Go  on, you got me started now!

What outrboard do you use.... monitors ?

Do you have access to some serious mic's & kit shipped for the production of the game?

Did you stretch the budget to selfish wallow in loads of new kit which can be written off and kept in the office  :P ?

Im a pure audiophile (PM me all day I can go on for weeks LOL) .... spill the info!  :rocky:

Yes it's polish and trim - usually I started out with the 360 sounds, but since we have echoes triggered by grenade exploding and every bullet fired there's been loads of work making different alternations of each sound. Sounds also change character with distance - something that becomes even more effectful with Creative EAX.

I mix the sound with a pair of great audio phones, and play the game with those or different setups of surround monitors - you need to hear the sound as the end user will hear it.

Someone asked in earlier (maybe even in another thread) if you will be able to hear someone crawling on the ground, and indeed you will. I constantly try to come up with new ways of using the sound not only as a means to create a realistic in-game world, but also new ways for it to have an impact on gameplay too. It should be as important to use your ears as using your eyes.

Oh CRAP! oh, and if you wish to know im half-deaf or actually using implant to hear, but any sounds from digital devices, i dont hear at all, because of smocked sounds mixed :blink: ,sorry <_<

311 replies, 21 pages, over 13,000 viewings in 2 days from a 1min video clip.

Kinda gives you an idea of the anticipation of this game.

GRIN guys you must be choked,it must be a buzz to see this kind of response for your efforts, and well deserved.

I'm judging by the recent influx of GRIN staff that you must all be kicking back and chilling now and letting UBI get on with the promo and marketing.So i'm also guessing the game is now complete. Woohoo.. :yes:

Little touches like that is Grin's trademark. Example:

1. Shoot a few rounds with your carbine.

2. Do a tactical reload (reload before the mag's completely empty)

3. While reloading, fire the last bullet that's still in the bullet chamber (that one bullet might save you if an enemy rushes your hidout while you're busy reloading)

4. The reload animation will now adapt to the fact that you don't have a bullet in the chamber and chamber the bullet manually. *CHA-CHRICK!*

I almost had a seizure there.

only things left to complain about...

star force, need 1 more kit slot for equipment like grenades

oh and mod tools! we will turn this into the [GR] with our own expansion lol  :rocky:

Yes GRIN staff.

There is a whole whole lot I want to communicate to you guys there. Great job so far in and of itself but before you guys finish patting yourselves on the back there is stuff to consider.

Certainly what prozac suggested.

And also, yes different environments. Here though are just a few of my concerns:

I see you guys still went ahead with the 4 man squad format like the console version. I guess you wanted to mimic the marine's "ready,team,fire,assist" doctring. But does this reflect a real special forces unit? I think I remembered one of the GRIN staff mention that the original GR unit was a ranger team. Wasn't the GR unit made up of several members from Army special forces including a few from other countries?

Speaking of environments, I really wanted to play a game that made me feel like I'm in one of those special forces operators in the mountains of afghanistan, on horseback, complete with a full beard and modded m4. ;)

Take a look at this guy.........

137264.jpg

I want to play a game that makes me feel like I'm in the nitty gritty real special forces world.

The game graw seems to be is a futuristic army unit.

Perhaps mods will be able to achieve what we're looking for. :(

Speaking of environments, I really wanted to play a game that made me feel like I'm in one of those special forces operators in the mountains of afghanistan, on horseback, complete with a full beard and modded m4

Yeah GRIN, please modify the body awareness so that when you look down you can see your beard.

Speaking of environments, I really wanted to play a game that made me feel like I'm in one of those special forces operators in the mountains of afghanistan, on horseback, complete with a full beard and modded m4

Yeah GRIN, please modify the body awareness so that when you look down you can see your beard.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

:nono: Somebody forgot to use a sarcastic smiley...

:whistle:

Why not? That would be cool. :thumbsup:

Seriously, jokes aside, you all understand what I'm trying to communicate though right?

I need to get a cold shower now...

About sounds and ######, does the AI enemy yell commands at each other in combat and stuff like that? Do they have team leaders (and would it help to kill them?)

The bearded guy is cool, but if it's the same guy who was in a article I read long ago, he's from the CIA...... ohhhohhoooooo! Wouldn't mind playing a character like that in GRAW though. Would be fun to go low tech (except for the gun of course) and partially civilian.

I need to get a cold shower now...

About sounds and ######, does the AI enemy yell commands at each other in combat and stuff like that? Do they have team leaders (and would it help to kill them?)

The bearded guy is cool, but if it's the same guy who was in a article I read long ago, he's from the CIA...... ohhhohhoooooo! Wouldn't mind playing a character like that in GRAW though. Would be fun to go low tech (except for the gun of course) and partially civilian.

If hes cia then hes part of the CIA paramilitary. They are recruited directly from the special forces. Also, all the the special forces whether they be CIA or rangers.. they all seem to be adapting to the environment that they are in.

Beard or not its just that I wanted graw to really seem like a special forces game......not "America's Army" set in the future.

When you think about it Zaxis, there wouldn't be anything wrong whatsoever if that bearded guy in the pic was wearing the heads up display from graw. As long as he also continued to wear a beard and sunglasses and baseball cap.

I think that would be more realistic and absolutely AWESOME!!! :rofl:

Seriously, jokes aside, you all understand what I'm trying to communicate though right?

[NOT TAKING SHOTS AT ANYONE, DON'T SEND ME YOUR ANGRY PMs]

To be honest, I think most of what you said is pretty fruitless now. First you mentioned different environments. We already know that the locales will change slightly to include parks and 'elevated' terrain as Bo put it, but places like mountains and jungles and things, although interesting, are just not going to happen at this stage.

Then the four-man team. While this hasn't been solidly confirmed or denied yet (to my knowledge anyway), if it does turn out to be the case, then again, not alot anyone can do about it (it doesn't bother me personally).

Also, it would fit in with the story - The Ghosts are already in-country, showcasing their equipment and stuff as part of the anti-terrorism summit thingy (or whatever), then they are forced to react to the threat as it occurs, because they are the only (or best) combat-ready troops on the ground at that time, thus their small numbers.

And finally

I want to play a game that makes me feel like I'm in the nitty gritty real special forces world.

Let's not get back into the whole 'futuristic' argument. The point of the game is not to put you in the 'real Special Forces world'.

The game graw seems to be is a futuristic army unit.

SURPRISE! The point of the game is the futuristic element. It is called Advanced Warfighter. Every GR game has been set a few years into the future, and the equipment we were given was reflective of the real-world gear that would or could have been in use at that time. GRAW continues that tradition.

Like you said, if anyone doesn't like what they are getting, they can mod the crap out of it until they do. Although from the looks of things I would be willing to bet that most people are going to be happy.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

Who said its not in already? :santa: