GR2 for PC CANCELLED

cobaka

We did not want to disappoint the loyal Ghost Recon fans, but we did not want to risk releasing a final product that did not meet their high expectations.

The funny thing is that now they will never be able to meet our standards! One of our standards is meeting the darn release date. To change it or postpone it is hurtful but to all together cancel it is hateful. Maybe if their offices weren't filled with slacking freaks(man I wish I could say what I want in here) they would get some work done!

Quote fixed :)

Edited by WhiteKnight77

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So..... when is the "GR2 General PC" section of the forums going to be taken down?

Are you kidding? Fans are gonna want to rant and rave about this for months!! :shifty:

:whistle:

Edited by WhiteKnight77

I have had some time to calm down I have a couple questions.

In reply.

We did not want to disapoint the loyal Ghost Recon Fans

You did this today. You lied to us all last year.

but we did not want to risk releasing a final product that did not meet their high expectations.

You knew what our expectations were 2 years ago. You have at least 2 years to make a good product for pc.

If modders can make great mods for gr1.

You can make a gr2 in 2 years So dont give us that crap. 

With the launch of Ghost Recon 3 planned for Winter 2005, significant human resources were needed to ensure the quality of the future instalment of the series, thus potentially jeopardizing the quality of either Ghost Recon 2 PC or Ghost Recon 3.
We dont know the quality as we aint getting it are we. This statment says gr2 for pc was not upto what standard??? certainly was not ours we did not even get a screen shot. You must be talking about the xbox version.

Have you changed the engine for gr3. if yes you knew about this at least 4 months ago.

Taking into account their close release dates,

Your fault not ours.

and the fact that we felt the third opus would be a much more satisfying and evolved gaming experience, we were forced to conclude that it was in the interest of gamers for us to cancel the PC version of Ghost Recon 2.

Ubisoft made a smart decision. They had a game in their hands that was good for the console audience. But believe it or not, they listened to us PC players. They knew we did not want the same GR2 the console players got. They knew the PC version would not have been a blockbuster. If I was the dictator of Ubisoft I would have cancelled GR2 PC(unless I would have made sure they make it good in the first place).

They know what PC players want and they promise(yeah, yeah...) us that the next game will be good enough for us too.

I only have 2 comments.

1. I will never buy a console for my own personal use.

2. I'm extremely disappointed.

Exactly!

Although this is sad moment for every fan of original GR (me included) it still makes me happy as I made good decision approximately one year ago when I decided to move on and forget about UBI/RS lies and their attitude toward GR community and fans.

There is only one thing that I can’t understand; I don’t see a single reason why people still defend RS as they are nothing better than UBI IMHO.

Patriot

i'm also with you guys

I have had some time to calm down I have a couple questions.

In reply.

We did not want to disapoint the loyal Ghost Recon Fans

You did this today. You lied to us all last year.

but we did not want to risk releasing a final product that did not meet their high expectations.
You knew what our expectations were 2 years ago. You have at least 2 years to make a good product for pc.

If modders can make great mods for gr1.

You can make a gr2 in 2 years So dont give us that crap. 

With the launch of Ghost Recon 3 planned for Winter 2005, significant human resources were needed to ensure the quality of the future instalment of the series, thus potentially jeopardizing the quality of either Ghost Recon 2 PC or Ghost Recon 3.
We dont know the quality as we aint getting it are we. This statment says gr2 for pc was not upto what standard??? certainly was not ours we did not even get a screen shot. You must be talking about the xbox version.

Have you changed the engine for gr3. if yes you knew about this at least 4 months ago.

Taking into account their close release dates,
Your fault not ours.

and the fact that we felt the third opus would be a much more satisfying and evolved gaming experience, we were forced to conclude that it was in the interest of gamers for us to cancel the PC version of Ghost Recon 2.

In out interests give me a break. We been waiting for this game for 4 years you mean to tell me you cant produce a follow up to gr1 in 4 years CRAP.

But Ghost Recon 3 on PC will hit shelves the fourth quarter of 2005, so the wait won’t be long, and will definitely be worth it."

Says you. yer right SEEM TO HAVE READ SOMTHING LIKE THIS TIME LAST YEAR.

Ok im done pulling this poultry statment to bits.

RSE PLEASE BUY YOUR SELVES BACK AND GET RID OF THIS SHOWER OF ****************************************************************************************************************************************

Losers,.

Im annoyed so what.

UBI TAKE A HIKE.

thats a helluva comment i'm with you

isaid this->thats a helluva comment i'm with you

something worth remembering is that GR3 is most likely to be developed for the current Xbox and PS2. Not the next gen consoles?

This means the same old control limitations etc. The PC game will not be a seprate game, it will have to be the same at its core compared to the console version because by cancelling GR2 they know they dont have the resources to make 2 seprate games. How much further can they really take the game on console? not very far i dont think.

GR3 has been announced as an Xbox-2 title by UBI's yearly game release report as well as X-box 1, PC PS2 etc...

So IMO GR3 will be geared towards next gen consoles and their capabilities.

Next Gen consoles are a lot more powerful, so this side by side development with the PC should be promising with GR3.

I also believe GR3 could very well be a launch title of the X-box 2.RSE also have a lot of people available to work on the GR series.

The fact they announced the news of GR2 PC now, means to me, they nearly have something ready to show us about GR3, so watch the gaming press.

So hang on a minute, everyone was having a huge sad about how crap GR2 for PC was going to be, so Ubi gave up and decided to make a new one, and just stick another number on the end of it (GR2 will have a stigma of "crap" attached to it forever now). And everyone is whinging they want their GR2?

What the hell????

So you wanted GR2 for the sole purpose of ranting and raving about it?

This just doesnt make sense.

PC gamers just made Ubi cancel a game title. CANCEL A GAME.

They have listened to you, now you want them to undo it?

this is getting stupid.

I edited Rocky's I had to edit yours. Keep it clean everyone.

Edited by WhiteKnight77

I don't post much but I do read the forums :)

My problem is this. If we lost GR2 to a console focused dev team what makes us think GR3 will be any different. They couldn't port GR2 over because of work on GR3. So GR3 is done and oh wait.... Sorry we have to focus on GR4 :wall:

I love GR but this is just pure nonsense. GR is no longer a tactical based game. It's geared more for the console market and I seriously doubt that will change. UBI has just proven they perfer console dollars and give pants all about the PC side. Console first, PC.. whatever we've made our money. I'm looking out for other games coming out and sadly doubt I will come back to GR. This has just left a terrible taste in my mouth. I'm looking at other games like this one. It's called Enemy in Sight

http://www.clanbase.com/news.php?nid=170926

Here is an easy answer that i think most of us pcgamers will support.

We never wanted a whole new version of Ghost Recon. What we wanted was some fixes for Ghost Recon 1 (glitching and map fixes + maybe some netcode), a few new maps and gametypes and maybe a few more weapons. Some mods do this, but they are not standards.

That is all we ask.. Then acceptably we could wait another year for a new release.

Sad news that there will be no GR2 for PC.

From the game company's side, I can understand why if there is to be a GR3 coming this winter.

Remains to be seen what exactly GR3 will entail. Is this going to be yet another cookie cutter console shooter ported to PC or is this going to be what GR was...built for the PC from the ground up and ported to console later.

Read through several posts and I understand those who say they never wanted the extra bells and whistles. I'd have to say that while original GR was a damn fine game for it's time, while the rest of the gaming world evolved, GR's basic gameplay became too linear. It was the same thing over and over, all that changed was the scenery and weaponary depending on expansions/mods.

This has to change IMHO.

Anyhoo...boo UBI...yay UBI...still gonna wait and play the demo before I sink any money into another UBI title though.

Other companies are catering to the tacsim PC market, but Ubi continues bruising the greatest fanbase in gaming.

What was percieved as just awfully stupid public relations has crossed the line into deceitful misinformation.

I have a feeling that when Ubi used the name STONEWALL as that codename for a future game, they weren't even thinking of General Jackson.

Unfortunatly in didnt expect GR2 to appear on the P.C and in a way im happy about that.

I played the PS2 and xBox version on the game and hated them. there was none of the freedom of GR1.

I just hope we see more mods for the origional appearing again.

Ricard :o=

Come on, Did anyone here actually expect ghost recon 2 to come out on PC after they released that document a few weeks ago.

I certainly havnt been relying on GR 2. Looks like Battle field 2 might be some good fun!

Edited by whoa182

I'll also add that you must expect this now because there is just too much piracy going on in the PC market. It needs to stop or we are going to lose the best developers.

Profits on PC are just not increasing. I think PC users better start showing their money to support the PC gaming market instead of copying games.

Nobody doubts the folks at RSE. Never have. The parent company is the bad joke here. Ubi always has been, and pretty much every great game they have touched has gone to crap.

Ubi has done nothing but string us along for more than two years with hints and promises of GR2, and nothing. They promised us a fantastic game with RvS and we all know what happened there.

You have to remember also that GR was produced by Redstorm before Ubi bought them, when it was just good old Redstorm and Tom Clancy, without Ubi. Or has everyone forgotten that?

Ubi has a history of letting it's fans down, unless they are in the console market, because Ubi cares about nothing, except what they can line their pockets with today.

And you can bet your bottom dollar that with Ubi producing GR whatever version it's going to be, that it won't be good enough to keep us occupied for a year, much less 5 like the original GR was. Ubi just doesn't have that level of craftsmanship in them, nor do they care, like the Redstorm of old did.

Edited by =UE=Phantom

Totally agree with you NYR, I think RSE is caught, they know exactly what we want, but they also know there is a huge market out there for the GR2 experience on xbox, and now they have drunk from that particular well they are back on track with a GR3 aimed at the PC gamer, with a port possible for consols that some consolers will enjoy just like they enjoyed GR1 on the consols. :thumbsup: Seems like sound marketing to me.

Hmmm marketing... They create GR2 for the consoles first in order to take advantage of the huge console market instead of creating it for the PC and porting for the consoles. They promised GR2 for the PC and then let down the people that made them what they are today. Now they say the GR3 will be coming in the future... do you really think they care about the PC market with all the money they are making from the consoles... do you really think that they are "on track again" with the PC platform in mind? Hmmm marketing. :o=

I'll also add that you must expect this now because there is just too much piracy going on in the PC market. It needs to stop or we are going to lose the best developers.

Profits on PC are just not increasing. I think PC users better start showing their money to support the PC gaming market instead of copying games.

I got news for ya, bud. It is every bit as easy, and almost as common to see copied XBOX and PS2 games. I can show you where you could get anything you wanted, anytime. Not that I will, because I won't, but I'm trying to make a point here.

People need to stop putting all of this piracy crap on PC users. As long as anything intellectual can be cracked, there will be piracy. There is no help for that. It has always been that way.

Edited by =UE=Phantom

significant human resources were needed to ensure the quality of the future instalment of the series, thus potentially jeopardizing the quality of either Ghost Recon 2 PC or Ghost Recon 3.

What this means to me is........ We do not have the man power to complete GR3 for the console therefore we cancelled GR2 for the PC!!

was in the interest of gamers for us to cancel the PC version of Ghost Recon 2.

The only thing that is directed to the PC community is the cancellation of GR2, in the interest of gamers (not pc specific gamers) that it be cancelled so they can get GR3 for the console out.

If they are truly remorseful to the GR PC community then they will have PC trailers, screens for GR3 "PC" in 36 days at E3! They had all that for the console at last years E3 5-6 months prior to the release, no reason why they can't this year.

36 days to E3 :tumbleweed:

Edited by Cutter