GR2 for PC CANCELLED

cobaka

'I can wait, if it's going to be way better.'?

I disagree cos theres no evidence to suggest it will actually be better.

There is evidence to suggest the series will get worse. Although im sure RSE are capoable of making a game 10 times better than the original GR, im also thinking that ubisoft show no commitment to us on the PC format.

Edited by babydave

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the devs read this forum, I for one can't understand WHY they just dont make a REAL sequel to GR1? a hardcore highthreshold tactical military combat simulator?

The PC crowd has been whining about it for a couple of years now and still nothing but some semi tactical shallow, albeit godlooking sequel...

Sounds like bad manangement, but I'm ready to cut ubi some slack, they DID develop silent hunter 3, a very good simulation of a german uboat in ww2...

Anyone trip over the possibly over-obvious idea that GR2 was scrapped mid-development because of all the nastiness around here in regards to it being a port and that GR3 (or whatever you call it) for PC is the result of this? That perhaps the devs perusing these boards saw what everyone would not stand for in regards to Ghost Recon and decided to go a new direction, in order to keep the PC guys satisfied? Not saying this is what's going on, but the thought occured. I was going to add more, somesuch about ungratefulness for there being a game at all, but I got tired and blah blah.

I for one am an optimist and hope that the situation is exactly as WP33 described. Ubi suggested as much in their announcement. They did not want to release "a final product that did not meet [loyal Ghost Recon fans'] high expectations," and "the third opus [will] be a much more satisfying and evolved gaming experience." Can they get it right? Will they get it right? I hope so, and I hope we get our first taste of it at E3.

Edited by ARDelta

That perhaps the devs perusing these boards saw what everyone would not stand for in regards to Ghost Recon and decided to go a new direction, in order to keep the PC guys satisfied?

lol, ubisoft and rse are businesses, they do not stop making games because a few hundred people on the gr.net/official forums didnt like what they saw, the majority did want the sort of game that gr2 turned out to be, they are here to make money.

ill give u an example.

i have 3 friends that play pc games. i have the highest spec PC, the others dont have half as good a PC and mine isnt high end. They play UT and CS etc. I tried to get them into GR but they didnt like it. The majority of people dont wanna be patient and play hardcore sims, they want action and glory. And THATS why a good GR sequel for PC never appeared...and probably never will

Ill save my final decison until after E3 tho

Edited by babydave

For any of the DEV's reading this thread this post is for you. I bought GR1 as soon as it came out, and bought DS and IT also when they came out abd have been playing online and single player gr1 since, as well as trying out modding on gr1. I have not bought any games other than the gr expansions since GR1 and really appreciate the work and skill that whent into making it the game we have all come to love for the years since it was released. I have a feeling that you at RSE have the wishes of us "hardcore" GR Realism fans at heart and that GR2 was not released because you didn't want to dissapoint us. I just hope you at RSE can in some way get out the kind of GR game you know we'll enjoy as much as GR1. I have no doubt that RSE can make this game the only question is If RSE is allowed and if so when. I won't give up on RSE as long as they don't give up on us. It would be nice to hear if any of the RSE DEV's reading these forums have anything to say but if you dont its probbably cause of UBI.

lol, ubisoft and rse are businesses, they do not stop making games because a few hundred people on the gr.net/official forums didnt like what they saw, the majority did want the sort of game that gr2 turned out to be, they are here to make money.

That is the point. While there may be hundred of thousands who play GR, they aren't the ones who actually make an impression on the devs, it is the "few" of us who are active on the GR forums here, at Ubi and elsewhere that has an effect on the games. RSE has tried to appease their fans and in most cases, they have succeded in doing so, but it is we who are to blame for things that got implemented in game that had complaints about it later on, think the limp. Somewhere someone said they didn't like it, but it was replaced after the uproar from us that got it put back.

GR2 is what people online wanted and it stunk for those of us who want it on PC and we let the devs know about it.

yeah i do. :thumbsup:

i think they do take notice of the mainstream too tho.

but yep the limp is a classic emaple of us influenceing the way they make the game, fingers crossed RSE will be allowed to do what they do best this time :yes:

Edited by babydave

@Prozac360

just a side note, half of you guys whine and moan about how gr2 looks so arcadeish and crap but then go and praise BF2 or some other run and gun game?

how is that ?  bf2 is one of the  most arcadish games iv seen. Theres no way in hell that it would be better then gr2 xbox version. Just watch the actual gameplay videos you will see what i mean.

Here, Here!

@Deleyt

I would venture to say with what we have seen in VBS, [OFP: DR] is going to be the next one to beat wouldn't you? When you consider AI intelligence, map size and realism factors.

Stout Hearts

|RE|Warhawk

If you were in UBI's shoes what would you have done? Continue to invest resources into an "older" product? Or direct them into something "newer" which would be on the market possibly 3-4 months later?

This kinda of conflicts with:

but do you honestly think Red Storm will let the work they did on the PC game go to waste?

?? ones a waste, the other is ??

Either way, the writing was on the wall a LONG time before this announcement.

I refuse to think that water will flow upstream and the sun will rise in the west (ie: ubi is going to release a worthy gr sequel on PC) unless they start moving the discussion that way.

Simple things like:

--Info on what's currently been developed for PC

--Info on PC versions of the game shown off @ E3

--ANY kind of PC GR info other than "Sorry, we quit"

Start down this path, and they might salvage a few fans.

Otherwise....

I'm glad they finally anounced this. I mean sheesh, how much longer can a company leave its foundation for success in the dark? It's about time we heard some solid facts.

Now hopefully the modders can set their sites on some more quality mod projects so we have something to play in the mean time. =)

If you were in UBI's shoes what would you have done? Continue to invest resources into an "older" product? Or direct them into something "newer" which would be on the market possibly 3-4 months later?

This kinda of conflicts with:

but do you honestly think Red Storm will let the work they did on the PC game go to waste?

?? ones a waste, the other is ??

You don't have to finish an entire project to use finished (or near finished) portions....

It will be very hard to get excited about GR3. Personally, yes I think it was the right choice. But there was zero reason to string us along this far, that wont be forgotten.

I find it hard to belive they will honestly put the time and effort into this title and accually deliver what we all are looking for. I'll belive it when I see it.

Now is the time for them to step up to the plate and tell us something, I want to hear the words "GR3 will NOT be a port". They strung us along long enough already, if they arent going to deliver I want them to tell me now so I can just stop waiting already.

If they dont bother to show us some media at there first press confrence Ill be upset, if they contine to release xbox media and ignor the PC crowd like last year Im not going to bother with them any longer.

And god help us if we hear the words "PC information will be released after christmas"

@Deleyt

I would venture to say with what we have seen in VBS, [OFP: DR] is going to be the next one to beat wouldn't you?  When you consider AI intelligence, map size and realism factors.

Stout Hearts

|RE|Warhawk

That is what I'm hoping for.

I don't know if [OFP: DR] will be better then GR3, but if I look at how Bohemia and UBI treats it's customers, I'll put my money on Bohemia 10 fold.

UBI's screwing us over too easy and too many times.