Video: Re-creating Ghost Town

Kimi

This one is for all you old school GR players...we thought you might find it interesting to see what went into re-creating one of the classic favorite maps. Check it out and let us know if you'd enjoy seeing more videos like this!

This one is for all you old school GR players...we thought you might find it interesting to see what went into re-creating one of the classic favorite maps. Check it out and let us know if you'd enjoy seeing more videos like this!

I realize I am only one voice, but your involvement and participation is always welcome on this site Kimi... and any videos you can bring along certainly are welcomed too. It gives us a more in-depth feel for what the developers are thinking and dealing with.

Don't think it's easy to create a video of that actually. It's way too much work involved to get that into a small video, but it goes something like this:

First you figure out what the maps should be about, location, settings and all this. Then you go to the drawing board and figure out how you want the map to look, drawing up a overview of the map and important details. Next thing is to create the map in some kind of 3d software. I'm pretty sure RSE is still using 3d Studio Max for building their maps. When the 3d models of the map is done, you texture it and fixes all kind of other things that needs to be done to get the map working in the game. A studio like RSE have certain people who's doing the 3d models and other who's texturing them. Beta testing is next thing you want to do and then back to fix more bugs until the map is ready for the public.

I think a full "creation of a level" video would be a fantastic idea (although quite time-consuming), I'll just need to figure out the logistics of it among the team members since there are so many people involved with building even one level. It's definitely on my list of "i'd love to do" videos.

Is that Fran on the VO?

Is that Fran on the VO?

These are great Kimi :D Thank you

Personally I found this incredibly interesting. Actually would have preferred if it was longer. I hope to see many more of these, especially for GRAW3/GR4.

Its great to see the thought processes that go behind the design of a map. And i have to say that Ghost Town is a GREAT remake.

Love to see some more. Ps any chance of a WMV version.

Thank you. As I posted in the Ubi forum, I would love to have some dev commentary - a post would be fine, no video necessary - on the thought and programming process behind the changes to Night Vision in the Co-op 2 pack. Is this something that could be implemented across all maps with a patch?

The adjustments to mostly wash out the NV is an improvement, I think. I went back and played some previous maps, and turning on NV during the day just mostly changed the screen to green hues, and did not wash out much at all.

Thanks, again.

Is that Fran on the VO?

It is! You're good that you could pick him out...others over here at the office didn't guess that it was him. :P

Thanks for all the feedback so far. For the requests, I may not be able to get answers for them all but I'll certainly try.

I'd like to see the map editor in action, not to worried about how buildings etc are placed.

More interested in how the actual terrain is created and shaped. and how the lighting is setup.

Im 90% sure RSE used 3d Studio Max for creating the GRAW2 game to xbox aswell. After what I know it's their very own developed engine and they have been using 3d Max for all their previous GR/RS games. 3d Max is, opposed to a pure level builder a program where you can build all kind of 3d models in. The landscapes is probably laid out by hand by one artist who has this as a dedicated job. Read up some tutorials here at GR.net if you want more info about it.

Is that Fran on the VO?

It is! You're good that you could pick him out...others over here at the office didn't guess that it was him. :P

Thanks for all the feedback so far. For the requests, I may not be able to get answers for them all but I'll certainly try.

He can do a wicked Captain Mitchell voice too... thought it was the actual actor first time I heard it.

I'd like to see the map editor in action, not to worried about how buildings etc are placed.

More interested in how the actual terrain is created and shaped. and how the lighting is setup.

Im 90% sure RSE used 3d Studio Max for creating the GRAW2 game to xbox aswell. After what I know it's their very own developed engine and they have been using 3d Max for all their previous GR/RS games. 3d Max is, opposed to a pure level builder a program where you can build all kind of 3d models in. The landscapes is probably laid out by hand by one artist who has this as a dedicated job. Read up some tutorials here at GR.net if you want more info about it.

Pretty sure your right as I converted a few of the maps that are available for PC (Lagoon and Nowhere).

• 2 months later...