Got Maps?

There's been talk of maps and autodownloaders and community-modded maps and original mod map content to make me dizzy, especially of late. Play it or not, love it or not, GRAW2 maps are an interesting topic. And so interesting is the topic, in fact, that it's crept into other discussions and threatened derailment of topics throughout this forum. So how 'bout we talk maps HERE, instead?

First, there's talk that 2 or more new maps may be included in the supposedly-forthcoming 1.05 patch. I'd think we could ALL agree, whether we play it anymore or not, that this is a good move. Free content updates are usually well received.

As for the maps that didn't ship with the game originally (seems to be a big deal), what's everyone think of that? Is it acceptable given the short development timeframe for GRAW2, or is it unforgiveable?

Map autodownloader- useful tool or too much of a pain? Too difficult to implement responsibly or not? Should it be OPTIONAL?

Anything else about maps that needs discussed? Just wanna vent about maps?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanna vent about maps?

I liked the cloth maps I got with Ultima 8 and 9... oh... not that. :rolleyes: But they where cool...

Anyhow, I can let the cat out of the bag that I'm working on something in my spare time (not patch related). But it is still quite some time before I would call it finished. When it will be done all depends on how much spare time I got and how many games I get hooked on (finished The Witcher yesterday after about 60 hours, so back working on it again tomorrow for the first time in 3 weeks). :ph34r:

More maps are always a good thing but having said that, what I'd really like to see (if v1.05(?) is a mappack) is more variety in the maps...such as properly scaled, multi-floored, multi-roomed buildings with furnishings, fixtures, and...oh yeah- activated doors. I do not hold out hope for that.

But if time (or BC) allows maybe they could clean up some of the collision issues in the existing maps.

More maps are always a good thing but having said that, what I'd really like to see (if v1.05(?) is a mappack) is more variety in the maps...such as properly scaled, multi-floored, multi-roomed buildings with furnishings, fixtures, and...oh yeah- activated doors. I do not hold out hope for that.

But if time (or BC) allows maybe they could clean up some of the collision issues in the existing maps.

I was told the animation needed for opening doors was not in the engine of this game, thus making it very hard to introduce them. My hopes are on GRAW3 and Groundbranch off course

First, there's talk that 2 or more new maps may be included in the supposedly-forthcoming 1.05 patch.

Only 2? How many have the consoles gotten so far?

As for the maps that didn't ship with the game originally (seems to be a big deal), what's everyone think of that? Is it acceptable given the short development timeframe for GRAW2, or is it unforgiveable?
Was a huge deal for me not to have all the SP maps set up for CoOp, that more than anything kept many people on the team I belong to from buying this game.

Map autodownloader- useful tool or too much of a pain? Too difficult to implement responsibly or not? Should it be OPTIONAL?
They can try to marginalize it all they want but the lack of an auto downloader was a huge mistake.

I liked the cloth maps I got with Ultima 8 and 9... oh... not that. :rolleyes: But they where cool...

Anyhow, I can let the cat out of the bag that I'm working on something in my spare time (not patch related). But it is still quite some time before I would call it finished. When it will be done all depends on how much spare time I got and how many games I get hooked on (finished The Witcher yesterday after about 60 hours, so back working on it again tomorrow for the first time in 3 weeks). :ph34r:

Thats the mark of a true fan. Just goes to show that the fall from grace of the recent games in the Ghost Recon franchise have little to do with the dedication of programmers involved. Its the know nothing head honchos at ubisoft micro managing everything. Toss bags.

Thats the mark of a true fan. Just goes to show that the fall from grace of the recent games in the Ghost Recon franchise have little to do with the dedication of programmers involved. Its the know nothing head honchos at ubisoft micro managing everything. Toss bags.

Quoted for truth. Anyway, try to get the map as an official one. Even a small "patch" as a single map, after the coming (bigger) patch is a good thing.

Wolf.... good news, but should we assume this is being done by you personally, with no formal or official connections to GRiN or Ubi?

Again, not trying to take the positives away, just metering who should get the kudos when it ships. :)

-John K.

I think a large part of my disappointment, in terms of maps and support, is based on why has the XBOX360 has received moer support then the PC. They have received a few map packs, tourney's etc... and we have recieved very little. I am sure this is because UBI has not allow further development for the PC. I have a feeling we will receive this Patch and that will be it for GRAW2. If by chance more issue arise with the Patch.. I have a feeling we'll be toast.. interestingly enough.. I remember reading about support for a long time and that no one was going anywhere.

I think UBI should be supporting both platforms. I really makes you feel as though 'They don't care about PC's gamers". I know the games are different, but when RSE was developing the old GR1 map pack.. why not give the same dev time to the PC game.. especially when we where the one's requesting it. I did not see to many post from XBOX guys asking for the OLD GR1 maps.. I would be surprised if many of them even knew of GR1.

Hes working on One personally done Map???Wolfy,With Grins mod tools that will take you untill next year.

Until next year, sure. There are only 3 more weeks until next year you know. ;)

And making landscapes doesn't take that long (not referencing to the earlier mentioned 3 weeks though), you just have to know how to build geometry and UV map (and vertex paint if you want to do that). Export and setup is simple. Just open any landscape XML and you'll see there isn't many things to do in there besides specifying which geometry should collide how, and that's easy on a landscape.

My issue with the autodownloader is that by the time you finish downloading the map, the game is on a new map and you are stuck downloading another map if you do not have it. Sure, there are some maps that are not available everywhere, but this is where the server admins need to make it available on a website themselves or have it uploaded at a different site and point people to it. A gamer should join a server ready to play so he or she can play without interuption upon joining a server.

Hes working on One personally done Map???Wolfy,With Grins mod tools that will take you untill next year.

Until next year, sure. There are only 3 more weeks until next year you know. ;)

And making landscapes doesn't take that long (not referencing to the earlier mentioned 3 weeks though), you just have to know how to build geometry and UV map (and vertex paint if you want to do that). Export and setup is simple. Just open any landscape XML and you'll see there isn't many things to do in there besides specifying which geometry should collide how, and that's easy on a landscape.

Wolf, I mean IF and I do Stress IF it is at all possible, if there will be any more patches, could it be possible to include snow textures and pine tree or alpine like tree models etc? then we can use the textures to make winter maps and the like.

My issue with the autodownloader is that by the time you finish downloading the map, the game is on a new map and you are stuck downloading another map if you do not have it. Sure, there are some maps that are not available everywhere, but this is where the server admins need to make it available on a website themselves or have it uploaded at a different site and point people to it. A gamer should join a server ready to play so he or she can play without interuption upon joining a server.

That however is better then no downloader. The ideal would a question. Download the current map... or all maps on the server.

could it be possible to include snow textures

I think there is one snowy rock texture in the Timber (aka Rock) texture scope...

This is one issue I see with the auto download as well, and one reason I can only see it as a bonus feature.

Whether you and WK think it's (autodownload) bonus or not is irrelevant and if the rest of GRIN thinks so as well it's indicative of why there are so many problems with GRAW2 (as evidenced by pretty much the near 100% call for it by the community). Just as with many things from the administrative standpoint that have been completely ignored or left out of GRAW.

Autodownload for maps is now by many gamers and games pretty much the norm. Players are used to it and expect it. Call them lazy or whatever. You might was well call people lazy for using a remote on a TV when you can get up and change the channel yourself. You know if you change that channel you might not get to see the whole show... Sure you can get up and manually change the channel if you had to. This is a weak analogy I know but it fits somewhat. When TV's were invented there was very little content or channels to view so changing the channels wasn't done nearly as much even up before cable TV hit. As cable has proliferated and the content has increased, people watch many different things and change the channel many many times. If custom content weren't an option, there would be no need for autodownload. You do see where this is going right?

Players know that if they get dropped during an autodownload, it's usually because the map has rotated and you joined near the end of the map. Of course there are some exceptions when the download is freaking huge like Brio's Map which is simply too big to autodownload unless you have a really fast pipe on both ends and you join at the beginning of the map.

Let's be realistic, 4-8 MB maps aren't a problem for anyone on broadband. It's much more annoying to have to stop playing open up a browser, do a google search to try to find a particular clan's website, surf their site to find the download, register with it to be allowed to download, then wait 10 minutes for an email confirm, then go back and try to download the map, manually install it ALL BEFORE I CAN PLAY on their server. Most likely, not only that map but the next one possibly 2 maps have already rotated through by the time I've gotten that particular earlier map and am ready to play. And guess what, they're on another map, and I have to find and download that one now... Yeah, autodownload is pretty vestigial and is just a "bonus" feature. It serves no purpose except for convience - it certainly won't help with player retention in servers at all.

Edited by FI_FlimFlam