Inappropriate Server Names

I was online playing the demo (Great piece of work Grin) and have seen now, on a number of occasions servers with swear words, sayings regarding obscenities. My question to Grin/ Ubi or Gamespy is why do you allow this, is there no way of cleaning things up before it gets out of hand ?

This could be trouble

names.jpg

A different point but seeing this thread is about server names....

Grin would it be possible to have the name of the server that you are in, be accessible (viewable) via a key function (AKA Server info). So when a friend on VOIP (teamspeak) asks you which server are you playing on, you can double check and give them the name of the server as listed in GAMESPY. There has been many times in GRAW 1 where this would be a beautiful feature but it was missing from GRAW 1 and GRAW 2 ?.

I mean via a single key press (key bind) as opposed to GRAW 1 press TAB, use the mouse to click on "i" for info

viii

p.s. it would be a thought if you could add buddies to a buddy list in the games favourites and then join or locate them in a server. (although the favourites are not there yet...).

I was online playing the demo (Great piece of work Grin) and have seen now, on a number of occasions servers with swear words, sayings regarding obscenities. My question to Grin/ Ubi or Gamespy is why do you allow this, is there no way of cleaning things up before it gets out of hand ?

This could be trouble

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g244/viiiper/names.jpg

There will always be people doing such things cause in their opinion it may be fun, but to moderate server names would be a very time consuming process.

It seems to me rather than have a particular game have coding that filters out swearwords that perhaps gamespy might be convinced to filter it out on requests from the game clients. Much like forum software operates with client requests and "*" out the offending words or string of words. The game client would just receive "Diepig******" for the server name instead as an example.

This seem much more simple to implement than to add the overhead to the gameclient IMO. Perhaps GRIN and UBI could "suggest" this to gamespy as that many gamers would welcome it - of course the ones who do it wouldn't but who really wants to play on those servers anyway since you already know what they are going to be like.

Edited by FI_FlimFlam

if that was german wouldnt that mean "the pig######er?"

is it really that big of a deal though? i could go on a rant about first ammendment rights, but im not going to. i mean its not really neccisary to name it anything with swears involved, but if people want to whos going to stop them?

Its just a cuss word. An average US high school students hears 53 homophobic swear words a day. So what if the server has some profanity in its name?! It's not like you get traumatized reading bad words or anything. People need to HTFU

Edited by Zoot

Personally I dont really see a problem with it or care about weither the server names have cuss words or people can cuss in the game.

Its a game where the objective is to kill the enemy. Does anything less really make a difference?

If someone cant handel the use of those words, they shouldnt be playing the game in the first place.

Edited by -|-aMMo-|-

Its just a cuss word. An average US high school students hears 53 homophobic swear words a day. So what if the server has some profanity in its name?! It's not like you get traumatized reading bad words or anything. People need to HTFU

I don't want to have to put up with bad language all the time either just because some joker thinks its fun:nono: Same thing goes for the kind of people who can't use voip without using the F word every few words.

On the plus side, the like minded people will all go into those kind of servers, say stuff like "you're mum's a **** etc etc, get bored and then move on to the next game. Counterstrike was like that. It was all high pitch voiced kids swearing and cheating. I'm glad it was so popular, cos it stopped them playing GR... they found it too tactical.

1 -- I think we know which one is Zoot's server. ;)

2 -- While I have no problem with profanity on comms, in the in-game text-chat it causes two problems. The first is that it clogs up the text chat space, an area that is supposed to have a use, with junk. The second problem is that immature behavior has a tendency to escalate, and servers where profane trash-talking is allowed is going to have more frequent TK/griefer problems than one where admins insist on some moderate level of respect.

The Mature aspect reflects upon the people and server it's self. I for one at times might say some of those things but on a consistant basis I do not want to be around people that Are like that.

One note: I for one, take notes on Demo and Beta games of those players that above and beyond take advantage of

other players and show poor sportsmanship and play the game in the wrong aspects as In Spawn killers and ECt.

So when I Admin our server and see these players, I can Keep an Eye Out And Watch them. :hmm:

2 -- While I have no problem with profanity on comms, in the in-game text-chat it causes two problems. The first is that it clogs up the text chat space, an area that is supposed to have a use, with junk. The second problem is that immature behavior has a tendency to escalate, and servers where profane trash-talking is allowed is going to have more frequent TK/griefer problems than one where admins insist on some moderate level of respect.

Second that. And to follow it up, can server admins "silence" individuals, so that they can't write in the chat?

Second that. And to follow it up, can server admins "silence" individuals, so that they can't write in the chat?

Yeah By using /kick XXXXXX

If they come back and keep it up /Ban xxxxxx 24

is there a indefinate ban?

Yeah I knew somebody would say something about it. I don't really think it's a good name for a server but what are we gonna do? Some people don't like hearing the c word for the female sex organ but I yell it all the time due to watching every episode of Deadwood. I'm shy as hell in public but when I get online and play BF2142 or GRAW with my squad you'll hear every dirty word known to man come from my mouth. But I really don't think that's a good name for a server. Atleast put a star or two in there to censor it a bit. I play in that server sometimes though. Mainly because there aren't many TDM servers out there.

Dropping inappropriate language once in a while isn't a bad thing, but doing it constantly means the individual in question needs to expand their vocabulary a little bit. It's also a sign of lower intelligence. Dammit.