Some last minute suggestions

Probably well past the time for these suggestions, but fwiw, here they are:

Movement:

- It would be nice if some degree of minimal leaning was possible while prone.

- Though improved in patch 1.35, low aiming while prone is still too limited.

- It would be awesome if we could roll left or right while prone by double-clicking the appropriate lean button.

- Please lower the tremendous clatter raised while moving in the crouched position. It makes no sense that it is louder than when prone.

Weapons:

- One extra slot could come in handy for extra ammo, different variety of grenades, C4, etc...

- ACOG and/or sniper scope for assault rifles that have them irl.

- Togglable "switch back to previous weapon after throwing a grenade" option would be helpful.

- The general speed of switching weapons, esp. from or to the pistol, are a bit too slow.

MP:

- Clicking "Abort" should only take you one step back instead of all the way to the main menu. i.e. only back to the LAN/Internet server menu.

- A VIP-hunt mode could be very interesting. One player is randomly designated as VIP and must be protected by the rest of his team. If he is killed, they lose the round.

- Any chance team leaders can use the cross-com to issue orders to other human players? Perhaps the orders appear on the small tactical map? This could bridge the gap between in-game chat and full-fledged voice-comms.

- Configurable size and position tac map would help these tired old eyes see a bit better.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Please lower the tremendous clatter raised while moving in the crouched position. It makes no sense that it is louder than when prone.

It does make sense, because in the animation the soldier has one knee in the ground which he drags after himself. I know that anyone who goes into crouched position does that to become a harder target, to not be seen as well, and when someone doesn't want to be seen he probably doesn't want to be heard either - but it's a balance between realism and gameplay. Some scream for realism, some - such as yourself - have the sense to understand that total realism doesn't always cater for a fun game.

In the sequel, we'll lower the sound you make when dragging your knee across the ground in that manner. So that's one point off you list. :rofl:

Hey Des,

Thanks again for your efforts with the sound in GRAW. The sound of ricochetes and gunfire is truly awsome :)

...And even the sound when being hit became scary after a few patches :thumbsup:

On the list of small things I'd like the "sound department" to consider (but I guess it is too late now) is a little bit of breathing etc now and then, eg after running, or being wounded. And some more varieties of moaning that lasts a few sec after taking some bad damage. As it is now you still have to check the "healthometer" to see if you took serious damage or not. That is not good in a fps, you should experience (through some punishment as often posted about) and hear the suffering.

Some scream for realism, some - such as yourself - have the sense to understand that total realism doesn't always cater for a fun game.

You can say that again! That's why I prefer to call it plausible immersion rather than realism. You want enough realism to have the player immerse themselves in the character and storyline but not so much as to drain the fun out of the game. What's real funny of course is seeing some realism freaks on this board clamouring for quick-saves and ghost-switching. Really? When were either a realistic feature? :D

We all have real lives that are plenty realistic as it is. When most of us play a video-game, the objective is to escape some of that reality. How far will vary by individual and that's where options come in.

In the sequel, we'll lower the sound you make when dragging your knee across the ground in that manner. So that's one point off you list. :rofl:

That's more than I had any hope for so it rocks! :thumbsup:

PS: the "no sense" comment was directed at the intent, as you correctly gathered, and gameplay considerations, not the animation. i.e. it made no sense that crouching offered very little advantages or that a crouched individual couldn't move in a different manner that allowed them to make less noise. (besides running crouched)

Edited by Pritzl

I agree with two subjects brought up in this topic. First off, we do want a game to be as realistic as possible but we also do try to escape reality when playing a videogame. Second, I would like to say thanks to GRIN with the constant updates for the game and also for making GRAW 2 for us PC fans as well. I used to play Joint Operations and the developers(Novalogic) never seemed to listen to what the community had to say. We had to depend on outsiders to create mods to keep the games fun but after a while, I couldn't put up with it anymore. Thanks GRIN.

Yeah it would be cool to have the limp effect back in GRAW2, funny shooting someone in the foot and watch them limp away at a snails pace while you just stand next to them lol.

I just got a PM saying my ArmA sig is too large? What am I supposed to do about it I don't know how to resize stuff.

I think GRIN and GRAW are doing very well with the GAME PLAY aspect

But IMO these things are a MUST before this game is complete.

1) Be able to customize and select what your PLAYER will look like ([GR] style)

2) An easy load MOD selector screen ([GR] style)

3) I too miss the limp...and with a new MEDIC class supposed to be in the mix...even more reason to have some type of INJURY. I watched the preview vid....I love the idea of dragging a downed teammate out of the line of fire....but there has to be a reason that I would need to do it.

4) Yeah...Binoculars are cool

5) It appears this might already be happening....part of the fun of GR to me was the combined skill sets....you would be out in wide open terrain....then have to clear a house or stronghold.....I want to have to open some doors

HACK

Forgive me (or not) for quoting myself, it did not seem to help last go 'round but what the hell...

Binos, LRF, a few more personal weapons, the ability to use emplaced weapons, the main map accessible thru the nar-com, smarter Ghost AI, more blood,...did I mention binos?

I'll sign a hand receipt for a set of binos!

These and a wound penalty will keep the animation dept. busy (and management happy) for awhile.

If I was to choose one single thing about the questionable GRAW injury model that would imo improve the gameplay would be the to introduce some kind of immediate punishment when being hit while running.

As it is now you can keep on charging like superman despite somebody putting you down to the red color "injury status"

Make the player temorarily slow down to walk speed, "stumple", for a brief period of time, one sec or so (like [GR]) and even MUCH cooler, like the enemy AI's do, a certain likelihood for a fall when hit, especially when running.

That would slow down the T vs T "run'n gunning" a bit and make players to think more strategically and make more tactical/concealed movements.

This topic was brought up early after the GRAW release, but no response, but I hope GRIN have reconsidered and implemented this for GRAW 2 at least for MP.

If not, I think this would be the top feature to implement, if there is still time? Don't think any additional animations would be required (like the limp) as everything is already there in the enemy AI animations, but even so...gee it would be so cool. Don't you think?

How about a fully colored crosscom instead of the wireframe look, an option to play the game in third person perspective and maybe tactical hand signals like in the 360 version?

Actually, Unless they make the hand models look good, I think thirdperson is the way to go. No offense, but when you play so many fps games you start to become picky one what the hands looks like. Call of duty 2, has one of the best hand models I have seen. Fear's hand models look a little weird. And, Css is another good example of nice hand models. However, graw's hand models looked a bit bad. I know it is a tactical shooter. All I am saying is thirdperson might be the way to go in a visually apealing sense.

Edited by Beers

How about a fully colored crosscom instead of the wireframe look, an option to play the game in third person perspective and maybe tactical hand signals like in the 360 version?

Actually, Unless they make the hand models look good, I think thirdperson is the way to go. No offense, but when you play so many fps games you start to become picky one what the hands looks like. Call of duty 2, has one of the best hand models I have seen. Fear's hand models look a little weird. And, Css is another good example of nice hand models. However, graw's hand models looked a bit bad. I know it is a tactical shooter. All I am saying is thirdperson might be the way to go in a visually apealing sense.

I understand everyone has an opinion and all but, if that's the way you feel, then buy the XBOX360 version. We had this discussion eons ago with regards to the PC version of GRAW. Added: but alot of folks said no. please stop trying to ruin the PC version.

opinions like this, tend to tell me that this is why UBISOFT is leaning so heavy toward the consolitis of the last couple years. :hmm:

Edited by Papa6

Be cool. I don't want to have to lock this thread due to the PC vs. Console debate. This is the PC version forum and all members need to remember that there are things that are not wanted in an FPS and 3rd person view is not one of them. If a 3rd person view is used, then it ceases to be a first person shooter.

I would like to hear some sound of your gear while you are walking and some breathing. Not just your feet touching the ground. And a more detailed strafe-animation would be lovely, the one used in GRAW, when you are walking e.g. left+right forward at the same time...you were just flying on the ground. Not very convincing, but always useful to make the enemy laugh and make him drop his weapon. :o

IMHO, I think that the FPS-Gamers....(include ALL platforms...)..want the same thing.

Realistic, strategic AND tactical game play. Whether its TPV or FPV, its the game play that counts.

I believe that its like dividing a pie into three equal parts.

1/3 Realism..........1/3 Gameplay............1/3 Graphics/Visuals

Too much of one, declines the others. Like too much realism. If you got killed, game over. Period. THAT is realistic, right? Not much gameplay there folks. :(

(besides that was what we had in GRAW, when Mitchell dies, game over and WE demanded they change it)

Also quicksaves in the game, rather that check-points. Not too realistic there, eh? But that is what we wanted.

And I believe GRiN added that feature in GRAW2. Or if the graphic demands are too high, it declines the ability to actually play the game. >_<

True, it IS a matter of personal taste. I donot like a "iron-sights" view in weapons. I prefer the reticle, but thats just a choice. That to me is a nod towards gameplay, and not realism. :hmm:

I believe that GRiN does listen to us. And has responded in kind. HOW many patches/Updates did we get...? :shifty: Anyway, I look for a balanced game that I can enjoy as both a SP Experience AND MP play with friends. I think that GRAW2 may just deliver the goods.

Kingkat................. :thumbsup: