my faith is waning on GRAW

I now have 4 patches on my harddrive, i have played numerous hours online which I've quit, and the lag in game is unplayable. I'm using 1.5MB DSL as Fios isn't available yet. I've checked, double and even triple checked my connection's QoS and have an excellent transfer rate.

I'm not going to follow the "whiners" out the same door. I'm just going to say this July patch yet to release will be the deciding factor if I keep GRAW or not. If the issues are fixed..I'll keep GRAW and rock on. IF the patch explodes in a array of new issues or the same issues are present...then it's see ya!

I've been a supporter of GRAW and have tried to keep the peace in regards to the issues and giving Grin the benefit of the doubt. But, when you want to believe in something so badly, you'll do what you can to continue to back it. But I'm now not so sure if things will materialize as they should in regards to a "finished game".

Anyhow, I've even considered overall to quit gaming all together. I'm thinking the taste and varieties of FPS's are many. Many don't truly incorporate "tactical gaming" as they claim. I think and don't want to admit this but, it is my personal opinion that [GR] is a rare example of everything complete and done right. sure it had issues at the start but, by patch 1.4 (the 4th patch) the issues were gone.

In closing, I hope the best to Grin and hope that the next sequel they develop will be great.

only time will tell....

-Papa6

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well stated and I have to say that I agree 100%. So much so, that I too am going to pretty much make up my mind with the next 'July' patch.

I think that we need to see two of three things, at the very least, in the next patch:

• A true TDM mode with new maps to support it.
  • At least the most popular and most needed admin settings/tools to help run the current 'dedicated' servers.
  • True Dedicated Server Files and robust admin settings/tools to go with it.

Edited by Druac_Blaise

Well stated and I have to say that I agree 100%. So much so, that I too am going to pretty much make up my mind with the next 'July' patch.

I think that we need to see two of three things, at the very least, in the next patch:

• At least the most popular and most needed admin settings/tools to help run the current 'dedicated' servers.

Start more simple.

#1 TDM even if it's a remake of the current maps.

#2 Kick / Ban /Direct IP (with ASE support)

#3 Let us stop the spinning globe and use tab and arrow keys in a windowed mode of GRAW remotely. (currently because of mouse acceleration remoting to the server is almost impossible (i can but its very slow with Real VNC and a work around) True dedicated can wait till august to get fully developed if you can provide the above.

Papa ...lag? I don't seem to get any usually. Who is your provider? Tell them to take you off interleave and move you to fast path (google it and you'll see what i mean) It's worth 30 less on your ping and no lag gaming ever.

Try our server also... i think your on Verizon since you said Fios. Our server is on Verizon Static DSL east coast... so you should get no lag with us.

Edited by ROCOAFZ

Provider: Verizon. But I have had "NO" issues EVER with Gaming. the QoS has always been top notch.

The lag comes in different forms. players warping and players shooting me when I shoot at them while they are still running according to my system. my ping usually sucks with gamespy anyway. i had a 300+ ping(probably a Euro server). but the getting shot when someone i see is in full sprint is consistant. MY specs are below running on a 1.5MB DSL so shouldn't be having issues in that regard. hopefully Verizon FioS should be here in my neighborhood.

I now have 4 patches on my harddrive, i have played numerous hours online which I've quit, and the lag in game is unplayable. I'm using 1.5MB DSL as Fios isn't available yet. I've checked, double and even triple checked my connection's QoS and have an excellent transfer rate.

I'm not going to follow the "whiners" out the same door. I'm just going to say this July patch yet to release will be the deciding factor if I keep GRAW or not. If the issues are fixed..I'll keep GRAW and rock on. IF the patch explodes in a array of new issues or the same issues are present...then it's see ya!

I've been a supporter of GRAW and have tried to keep the peace in regards to the issues and giving Grin the benefit of the doubt. But, when you want to believe in something so badly, you'll do what you can to continue to back it. But I'm now not so sure if things will materialize as they should in regards to a "finished game".

Anyhow, I've even considered overall to quit gaming all together. I'm thinking the taste and varieties of FPS's are many. Many don't truly incorporate "tactical gaming" as they claim. I think and don't want to admit this but, it is my personal opinion that [GR] is a rare example of everything complete and done right. sure it had issues at the start but, by patch 1.4 (the 4th patch) the issues were gone.

In closing, I hope the best to Grin and hope that the next sequel they develop will be great.

only time will tell....

-Papa6

Papa6,

I truly understand your frustration completely... I've been in your shoes. Even I had a worse connection than you do... 768kbs/128kbs, and to tell ya... I could not even remotely play decently on that connection at all.

But, I can tell you that it depends on how many computers you have that are accessing the internet in your home does affect, even if not being used at the same time, can slow down and bottleneck your connection and effecting your gameplay.

About the only thing you can do is to turn off all the computers, turn off any firewalls (they can slow a connection too), and turn off any unnecessary programs, including any antivirus. I know that this leaves your computer open to the internet, but each of these kinds of things can slow a computer down and also slow the internet connection down with bottlenecking of programs attempting to access the internet at the same time you are playing.

DSL isn't the greatest type of connection to have to the internet other than web surfing, sending and downloading small files, but when it comes to games, they require a lot more resources from your computer and internet connection.

I don't know if you have cable where you are, but if you do... Maybe check that out in the meantime you are waiting for FIOS to happen? Maybe with cable you'll get a faster and better connection. QoS only checks the packets to and from your Network Card. It doesn't however check your modem interfaces for QoS.

They do have DSL Line Tests online that you can search for, and they can query your line quality to make sure that you are truly getting the speed you are suppose to get and see if there is any packet loss on the line, and then it will give you a quality rating. Each place you check it at, it may tell you different things, but the best thing you can do is take an average from all the tests and that'll give you a baseline average.

I hope that this helps alleviate some of your frustration.

Angel

Edited by ToW-Angel

Start more simple.

#1 TDM even if it's a remake of the current maps.

#2 Kick / Ban /Direct IP (with ASE support)

#3 Let us stop the spinning globe and use tab and arrow keys in a windowed mode of GRAW remotely. (currently because of mouse acceleration remoting to the server is almost impossible (i can but its very slow with Real VNC and a work around) True dedicated can wait till august to get fully developed if you can provide the above.

Papa ...lag? I don't seem to get any usually. Who is your provider? Tell them to take you off interleave and move you to fast path (google it and you'll see what i mean) It's worth 30 less on your ping and no lag gaming ever.

Try our server also... i think your on Verizon since you said Fios. Our server is on Verizon Static DSL east coast... so you should get no lag with us.

Don't go soft on them now Roco.

We need DS first and foremost.

We do NOT need TDM. That isn't a solution we NEED.

We need admin tools out the backside to go along with DS files.

Next. :)

I would not trade my dsl for anything. Had cable and dsl at the same time. Cable had (advertised more up and down ( with 120-200 ping)). I just have dsl now. I play in servers all over the world. I can play in Asia at 120-180 ping in BF2. It all depends on where you are and who you got. In my town dsl rules (verizon), in others it may very. Others I have played with hate verizon and dsl. I would buy water from them if they sold it.

In some games, with good net code, I can hit 25% of the servers with pings in the low teens. Cable has nothing here, and I have played with others around the globe that swear on cable(and seeing their pings, I can't argue). I have seen the flip side as well. The cable vs dsl debate is not valid.

There are popular servers running GRAW on verizon DSL.

If he has good pings and no packets loss then it is something else.

Edited by WillieP

precisely why I suspect the games net code, gamespy or even a combination of the two.

every game I have now plays clean with low pings, usually 30-85 average. This is why I kept Verizon as long as I have.

But as for Graw, my system falls well within the specs of what WAS advertised. I don't know if the fact that people are "pimping" themselves and getting high end rigs just to play GRAW is wrong or the fact that some of the guys here have gotten rigs that should run everything but we are all having problems now running GRAW on low/medium at the most.

the fact that people chuck a nade as it explodes i hear crackling on my audigy4 due to a buffer underrun like symptom is foul. EAX is on.

on the good side the sounds are amazing, crisp and reactive to distance and direction and materials around the player.

the havok physics are ancient as games have had them for awhile now and everybody is using them it appears. I guess I'm a meat and potatoes kind of guy.

precisely why I suspect the games net code, gamespy or even a combination of the two.

every game I have now plays clean with low pings, usually 30-85 average. This is why I kept Verizon as long as I have.

But as for Graw, my system falls well within the specs of what WAS advertised. I don't know if the fact that people are "pimping" themselves and getting high end rigs just to play GRAW is wrong or the fact that some of the guys here have gotten rigs that should run everything but we are all having problems now running GRAW on low/medium at the most.

the fact that people chuck a nade as it explodes i hear crackling on my audigy4 due to a buffer underrun like symptom is foul. EAX is on.

on the good side the sounds are amazing, crisp and reactive to distance and direction and materials around the player.

the havok physics are ancient as games have had them for awhile now and everybody is using them it appears. I guess I'm a meat and potatoes kind of guy.

Honestly I have some of the highest pings with graw. If I don't have a ping of 32 or less with my server hosted in the same state as me , I have to ask questions (and for those of you wondering yes we had a GRAW server ping average 80-160 and with the same data center).

Edited by WillieP

The crackling you hear is heard in alot of games with the Audigy cards. Its not GRAW. My friend, has the same problem, but it happens in GRAW, CoD2, BF2 and so on.

From what I hear its a Creative Labs driver issue.

I had the same noise in GRAW with the nades with an Audigy Gamer, bought a X-Fi music xtreme and it went away. Not sure why but its gone now.

As for the rest of your post - Im sorry for the lag issue you are having. I have noticed the same thing, but not to a point of driving me away. But I do understand your issue and dont blame you.

I think the July patch will make or break this game for alot of players, but I forewarn alot of you, that I seriously doubt dedi server files will be included in this patch. If they are I stand corrected, but I just dont see it happening yet.

Im getting frustrated as the clan I play with wont even buy the game do the lack of dedi server files and the ones who have bought it are selling it cheap to other members because they crash when playing Coop, which we like to do on some nights.

One guys crashes everytime on everymap and has yet to finish a Coop game due to this. As a matter of fact he just offered it to another player on our team for cheap as I am typing this.

I personally dont have the problems they do, but I feel bad for them and others that do, and if this continues I see the community falling apart even worse than it is now, which is a game killer.

As for now - Ill stay untill I see all hope is lost. Which I dont see as of yet, but its not looking good if things dont change.

Good luck GRIN, Im pulling for ya.

My patience with this game is rapidly running out. I have supported this game in the vain hope that it can be another GR1. I even have the "fanboi" t-shirt. Sadly, my belief is taking a hammering.

As a dedicated co-op player the lack of any way of playing co-op is ridiculous. Coming from a cp-op unit most of my online friends refuse to buy this game because of the lack of co-op play. I spent many happy hours in co-op tourneys, sharing the battlefield with bods from Alpha Squad, RSI, GR.Net, Omega, etc but no chance of this with this game it seems.

As an example of the bizarre behaviour of GameSpy. Four of us hosted games. None of the four could see the others games and yet we all had strangers join our hosted games!

I really need to see in the legendary July patch a minimum of

1) Direct IP hosting.

2) A mission planner along the lines of IGOR.

3) An end to the "TL is dead, game over" stupidity.

4) The ability to have 8 players in co-op missions.

I'd even settle for no mission planner if I could have at least options 1 and 3.

Even the GRIN staff seem to avoid talking about co-op and concentrate solely on the "run & gun" side of the game.

Papa i have had the same feeling about GR1 being a rare bird indeed. I still play and love other PC game types such as Rome:TW and older games like OpFlash or for fun DoD and now and again CS . . . . but since GR1 I and my friends have been waiting for something to repeat the amazing experience that 6 year old game gave us but time and time again we are dissapointed. I actually feel that there is no gaurentee that anything can replace GR1 anytimes soon.

GR1 is the Pulp Fiction of PC Tac shooters. Lot's of imitators and wanna be's followed but never as great again.

We all had so much hope for GRAW and were willing to weather GR2's cancellation and wait as many years as it took, that , is a testiment to what GR1 gave us.

I have little hope of something taking GR1's place but i'm always willing to be delightfully and deleriously surprised.

My patience with this game is rapidly running out. I have supported this game in the vain hope that it can be another GR1. I even have the "fanboi" t-shirt. Sadly, my belief is taking a hammering.

As a dedicated co-op player the lack of any way of playing co-op is ridiculous. Coming from a cp-op unit most of my online friends refuse to buy this game because of the lack of co-op play. I spent many happy hours in co-op tourneys, sharing the battlefield with bods from Alpha Squad, RSI, GR.Net, Omega, etc but no chance of this with this game it seems.

As an example of the bizarre behaviour of GameSpy. Four of us hosted games. None of the four could see the others games and yet we all had strangers join our hosted games!

I really need to see in the legendary July patch a minimum of

1) Direct IP hosting.

2) A mission planner along the lines of IGOR.

3) An end to the "TL is dead, game over" stupidity.

4) The ability to have 8 players in co-op missions.

I'd even settle for no mission planner if I could have at least options 1 and 3.

Even the GRIN staff seem to avoid talking about co-op and concentrate solely on the "run & gun" side of the game.

Good posting :thumbsup: this is exactley how I feel for GRAW (except the frist sentece).

I'm really not the whining type. I've supported and still support GRAW and GRIN. I'll continue to do so until some time efter the summer when I get back into gaming. But if there is no co-op imrovements until then I will probably put my GRAW aside getting back to SWAT or/and RavenShield for tactical games.

As for now. I'm wating for GRAW which has a great co-op potential.

Btw.. I have no idea what that "IGOR" thingey is :ermm:

Papa, I had ridiculous, unplayable lag spikes that I thought were GR:AW related. My transfer speeds were fine. Lag, though, is network latency, and despite my connection seeming to be fine, my data transfer rates being quite high, it turned out that I did in fact have a problem impacting latencies -- my modem was failing. It still worked, but it was killing my latency. Transfer rates were high, but latencies were unstable. I replaced my modem Wednesday, and now my connection is rock-solid. I have no more latency/lag issues in GR:AW.

Walk your modem up to your provider and tell them you want a new modem. See what happens. What harm can it do?

Thats a good point, plus your paying for it monthly so you should have no problems with it.

Or may I suggest going out and buying your own from Compusa or another place.

These things are down to $50-$75 US dollars.

Well it's just a suggestion.

And as well my faith is waning, but I am holding on. I have not really had the chance to play much MP. I am slowly trying to work my way through SP missions.

I will get on this weekend and see if I can tell whats going on.

I still very much love and enjoy this game, the potential can very much be worth being patient.

So GRIN, I know you hear us, and we are counting on you.

DD

I was considering buying a new to see if it was the problem, and I started reading around, and it seems that the Motorola Surfboard is one of the best (if not the best) available. They can be had at Compusa for $80 before a $20 mail-in rebate, or for $76 at BestBuy -- no rebate.

You would think that with no moving parts and low heat, these things would never wear out, but they do.

I was considering buying a new to see if it was the problem, and I started reading around, and it seems that the Motorola Surfboard is one of the best (if not the best) available. They can be had at Compusa for $80 before a $20 mail-in rebate, or for $76 at BestBuy -- no rebate.

You would think that with no moving parts and low heat, these things would never wear out, but they do.

With no moving parts and low heat, they don't get built with such heavy-duty components. Hence, they wear out just as quickly. HECHO IN MEXICO!

With no moving parts and low heat, they don't get built with such heavy-duty components. Hence, they wear out just as quickly.

OMG, you're coming awfully close to suggesting that hardware companies might actually build and sell consumers a product that is expected to break down, and I cannot abide such attacks on our noble masters.

note: sarcasm

You guys sure make me feel like I did the right thing by not buying this half baked game. After the patches that have been released did little to move the game up a few much needed notches I'm beginning to wonder if it will even be worth buying when the price takes a nose dive. :wall:

You guys sure make me feel like I did the right thing by not buying this half baked game. After the patches that have been released did little to move the game up a few much needed notches I'm beginning to wonder if it will even be worth buying when the price takes a nose dive. :wall:

Sure it'll be worth buying. You'll know EXACTLY what your getting up front, and you'll only have to pay what 50% of full price.

Don't go soft on them now Roco.

We need DS first and foremost.

We do NOT need TDM. That isn't a solution we NEED.

We need admin tools out the backside to go along with DS files.

Next. :)

LOL dont need TDM... thats a good one... Prediction: no TDM = game will die before autumn.