my faith is waning on GRAW

i had reasons, which a few here know about for having to go compaq.

my last two systems were compaq. but on a lighter note, i have accidental damage replacement coverage where i can send this back in and get it replaced if the kids were to pour kool-aid on it.

Alienware doesn't i think.

but for the money i hadin hand this wasn't a bad choice

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So... What can we do to get your computer performance up?

1, get a new power supply. Something with some horsepower... Contact Compaq and request at least a 450w Power Supply. If they cannot provide you with one, you may be able to search around on the internet and get one for it.

It's not a guarantee that the power supply will work with your motherboard, so in case it doesn't, then look at getting a new one. I know... spending more money... But, I do know that if you can change these two components, which are subpar for manufactured computers, you will have a computer that will definitely perform.

You can get a power supply from a store for about $45 to $125. Motherboards you can get anywhere from $60 to $300.

I know that if you can change these two items, you will have a computer that will game for you a long time.

Since you already have all the other components, you just need to make sure that you'd get a motherboard that your current CPU will work in.

1, get a new power supply. Something with some horsepower... Contact Compaq and request at least a 450w Power Supply. If they cannot provide you with one, you may be able to search around on the internet and get one for it.

It's not a guarantee that the power supply will work with your motherboard, so in case it doesn't, then look at getting a new one. I know... spending more money... But, I do know that if you can change these two components, which are subpar for manufactured computers, you will have a computer that will definitely perform.

You can get a power supply from a store for about $45 to $125. Motherboards you can get anywhere from $60 to $300.

I know that if you can change these two items, you will have a computer that will game for you a long time.

Since you already have all the other components, you just need to make sure that you'd get a motherboard that your current CPU will work in.

that isn't true as the power supply is also proprietary. I get excellent performance mind you, but with GRAW i get subpar. BF2 runs buttersmoothe even on a full server.

Edited by Papa6

Papa6 - I'd say that at the moment it would be cheaper and easier just to throw GRAW away.

If you have no problems with any other game - then are you sure you'd want to be thinking about potentially upgrading motherboards or PSUs just in order to play this unfinished game which barely has an online presence?

You've wasted enough money as it is just buying an unfinished game.

hold on to the game and wait it out, find something other to do than graw

maybe after the summer some things you asked for will be fixed, but maybe it will not be satisfactory, but try it then and rethink what you think now

maybe a short summer is not the answere, try it in half a year when all game modes are running for a while and see what you think of it then

the demand on the pc is and will be high maybe then there are some tweaks not found at this moment in time

but i can remember you making a video and having fun

that was something you did like, hold on to that, and wait it out, do something in the mean time and have fun rather then being annoyed with graw, it is not in our controle, atleast we got some promises like the old game types during the summer....

I'm kinda wishing i hadn't gotten so damn excited about GRAW to the point that GRIN/UBI would release it in it's current state.

But then again, i hardly think my excitement caused it's early release.

hold on to the game and wait it out, find something other to do than graw

maybe after the summer some things you asked for will be fixed, but maybe it will not be satisfactory, but try it then and rethink what you think now

maybe a short summer is not the answere, try it in half a year when all game modes are running for a while and see what you think of it then

the demand on the pc is and will be high maybe then there are some tweaks not found at this moment in time

but i can remember you making a video and having fun

that was something you did like, hold on to that, and wait it out, do something in the mean time and have fun rather then being annoyed with graw, it is not in our controle, atleast we got some promises like the old game types during the summer....

This is kinda something I'm going through now. my wife is pregnant and I ain't gettin' none. so i have to wait this out too? can't a guy catch a break around here!?!

if i could give you a break i would give you one ,

just thought you could play [GR] for the time being, did not mean to offend or be a wise-ass

oh don't say that. i was kidding. guess i need placement of these-> :rofl: more often

that isn't true as the power supply is also proprietary. I get excellent performance mind you, but with GRAW i get subpar. BF2 runs buttersmoothe even on a full server.

You can never have a big enough power supply, and the power supplies you get in proprietary systems barely meet system requirements.

GRAW is using a lot of power, especially since it is video intensive. You start adding up the ducks, you can see how I can come to this conclusion.

I have 3 HD's, DVD-CD/R-W and a DVD/R-W, nVidia PCI-e 6600gt 256mbs DDR, and I have a 450w power supply.

Think about what happens when you load a computer with a bunch of applications (especially older systems) and the computer performance goes down (mostly because at that time there weren't enough RAM in the computers to handle the load).

Computers are better today, that is a given, and most even perform well.

But, if you don't have enough power in the computer to run the highend game, the game will do what it's doing. At one point, Joint Operations was the same way until I upgraded my power supply.

All of my computers have no less than a 450w power supply. GRAW is very video intensive and your card should be able to handle it if the power supply is at least 450w.

If you don't have enough power in the computer, the computer will act sluggish, stop responding, laggy gameplay and a whole lot more.

It's a cheap investment to upgrade your power supply and is the minimal time to upgrade it.

I strongly suggest that anyone who is gaming have a minimum of a 450w power supply or greater to ensure that the components are getting the proper power they need to perform properly.

But, if you don't have enough power in the computer to run the highend game, the game will do what it's doing.

Is this true? I've heard of having to upgrade PSUs because more hardware has been installed, but never because a peice of software is sucking up more of my video card resources.

might be that some hardware do not get all power needed when the PSU is not strong enough

when having all those fans in a PC and lcd's, leds,etc. and such suck the power from the true applience

a lot of usb devices suck energy from the psu which sometimes leaves the other stuff hungry

But, if you don't have enough power in the computer to run the highend game, the game will do what it's doing.

Is this true? I've heard of having to upgrade PSUs because more hardware has been installed, but never because a peice of software is sucking up more of my video card resources.

New video cards require more power than it's predecessors. GRAW is very video intensive and consumes more power than one might expect.

Video Processing requires more power than it would to just display a desktop.

The GPU has to process all the polygons, actions/movements of these polygons. The graphics card heats up as it's attempting to process a lot of information.

It's like a car... At idle, you use a little bit of gas, but when you are out on the highway, the car uses more gas than it would at idle. The same thing applies here as your GPU uses very little video processing to display your desktop. So, when you put your GPU at a load, it will consume more power.

Edited by ToW-Angel

Upgarding the PSU would help, no doubt. When I was building my new PC, the first thing that came in the mail was my new power supply. I was running (dont laugh) a 300 watt. In that 300 watt, I had a 6800GT, SB Audigy, a hard drive, DvD Rom, and the other usual suspects. GRAW played ok to say, but not great. i as getting around 19 - 24 fps on medium settings.

Well I switched out the old 300 watt and put in the new 550 watt while my other stuff was being shipped, and OMG the game was a different beast. the crashes i was getting came to a stop almost, my fps went up a nudge, and the gameplay over all was smoother.

Changing you PSU is not the end all, but you would be amazed how much it does help.

I know. but like i have said, I'm running FARCRY, BF2 at full detail 1600x1200 and get no hiccups or lag whatsoever. also with my current rig and GFx card, i see things i never saw on my older rigs...the farcry seagulls and dragonflies! fishes and etc.

so it's not my rig. it's the game. but as the game is, I'm not sure i would care to spend more $$$ to play it better. just a reading of the title of this thread i made should indicate that I'm just about fed up with GRAW. there would have to be some REALLY compelling reason for me to play on with it.

At the very least, just open the case and see how many watts your power supply is.

It won't hurt to check it at all. If it's above 450w, then you know it's the game. If doesn't say how many watts it is, then it should be suspect. If it is less than a 450w, upgrade it.

I know. but like i have said, I'm running FARCRY, BF2 at full detail 1600x1200 and get no hiccups or lag whatsoever. also with my current rig and GFx card, i see things i never saw on my older rigs...the farcry seagulls and dragonflies! fishes and etc.

so it's not my rig. it's the game. but as the game is, I'm not sure i would care to spend more $$$ to play it better. just a reading of the title of this thread i made should indicate that I'm just about fed up with GRAW. there would have to be some REALLY compelling reason for me to play on with it.

I totally understand where your coming from. Although I have not given up yet, I may be forced to, if the community keeps shrinking the way it is. I play games to play with friends, and so far, I dont have many friends to play with since they wont get the game.

So I understand, I wish it would have worked out different.

At the very least, just open the case and see how many watts your power supply is.

It won't hurt to check it at all. If it's above 450w, then you know it's the game. If doesn't say how many watts it is, then it should be suspect. If it is less than a 450w, upgrade it.

Just to add on to this...

From my experience, I have seen these manufacturers put in anywhere from 90w power supplies all the way up to 250w power supplies, but most of them I have seen are 130w.

Changing you PSU is not the end all, but you would be amazed how much it does help.

Well I've learnt something today!

** doffs hat to all **

I totally understand where your coming from. Although I have not given up yet, I may be forced to, if the community keeps shrinking the way it is. I play games to play with friends, and so far, I dont have many friends to play with since they wont get the game.

So I understand, I wish it would have worked out different.

I agree. If the next patch doesn't do it - then I'm done.

I can't see a game which has got off to a start as bad as GR:AW's ever catching up and gaining a significant presence or following online - no matter how enthusiastic a few fans/modders might be.

I'm very much reminded of Tribes: Vengeance which I believe, because of poor initial sales, had only one patch before being abandoned by Irrational Games; it just wasn't worth their while economically continuing with it.

Why did this happen? - well in this case it was just too different from its predecessor (Tribes2) and the existing fanbase just didn't like it - at all. Yet Tribes2 continues to thrive online: see gamespy stats.

I see the same thing happening with GR:AW.

Just shows you that once you get it right - don't fiddle with it!

Edited by OliverReed

OliverReed :offtopic: with 2/3's of it. LOL

I do apologise for wondering off topic - I didn't realise that this had turned into a discussion about how switching PSUs and motherboards might get a game to work - instead of discussing why someone had lost faith with the game.

Bad, bad Ollie - must listen to what ToW-Angel says. :nono:

it kinda migrated to say the least a bit. but tow_angel was just asking me about my hardware guessing it might be the issue.

But the thread is about my dismay at GRAW in general. The July patch will tell me whether I'm going to continue with GRAW or shelve it.