Ageia PhysX hits the market

Traveler

Ageia has designed the chip to handle complex real-time calculations that will allow games to have more varied and impressive visual effects, from explosions that never blow up the same way twice to environments that react appropriately to the natural physics of force, speed, volume, pressure, and density.

I believe this has been the reason why there is talk of no replays. ;)

Gamspot:Agiea

Just got this update from gamespot.

Better wait till the GRAW reviews are out about the experience with and without the hardware. Strange to launch it now. When none of the games are available, yet. People will expect the price to drop, and who will buy something they can't really use except for some low budget shooter like bet on soldiers.

Cheers

Edited by M95-Sniper

Ageia has designed the chip to handle complex real-time calculations that will allow games to have more varied and impressive visual effects, from explosions that never blow up the same way twice to environments that react appropriately to the natural physics of force, speed, volume, pressure, and density.

MP will be different, most likely.

So replays in MP should be possible :)

Console gamers aren't left out in the cold, as Ageia PhysX technology will also be incorporated into Sony's PlayStation 3. The company today announced that the latest version of its PhysX software development kit will be made available to PS3 development teams at the end of the month.

Something Sony will be able to hold over Microsoft's head?

MP will be different, most likely.

So replays in MP should be possible :)

to lag your game? not gonna happend!

360 XDK is using Havok and ageia PhysiX, so no.

only software... the 360 doesnt have a PPU, or a physics processing unit. which is a processor dedicated to physics calculations.

the 360 isn't as limitted as an unequipped pc (as far as physics goes), because it has several processors, but it is far more limited than a PPU equipped pc

360 XDK is using Havok and ageia PhysiX, so no.

only software... the 360 doesnt have a PPU, or a physics processing unit. which is a processor dedicated to physics calculations.

the 360 isn't as limitted as an unequipped pc (as far as physics goes), because it has several processors, but it is far more limited than a PPU equipped pc

The PS3 doesn't have a PPU either. It just uses the Ageia software the same as the 360.

-John

Replays not possible because PPU makes explosions different each time?

Maybe when you log on to the Ageia site try and look at the two videos shown there as; Left side, normal physics, GRAW Multiplayer - Right side, Ageia physics, GRAW singleplayer (when equipped)

Now would replays be possible?

Replays not possible because PPU makes explosions different each time?

Maybe when you log on to the Ageia site try and look at the two videos shown there as; Left side, normal physics, GRAW Multiplayer  - Right side, Ageia physics, GRAW singleplayer (when equipped)

Now would replays be possible?

:yes::thumbsup:

"i think that the ageia card has a pcie and pci version but it has been said that you take a huge preformance hit when going to regular pci, i thank god my mobo is crossfire ready bring on the pcie!!!!"

this fame form ghostrecon.com Forums :blink: what the...good lord! Fisher! its good i odnt have a money to buy it, if this is true!

I dont really get the whole cell processor thing, but I am pretty sure that I read that the PS3's cell processor dealiemabobie incorporates 8 separate vector processors, with 7 in use, and one as a backup in case one fails. I think that the PhysX stuff for PS3 is designed to take advantage of this so that they can get way better physics than xbox360. God I hope so, I hate xbox.

This is what I dont understand in the replay disscussion, if the new PPU thingy handles all the Physics processing for the game, leaving the Video card more free resources for regular processing and what not, (please forgive my tachnical terms) Wouldnt that mean it is technically easier to do replays, as you have this free space?

If all these neew physics are handled by a new and seperate device, why does it make them harder to do?

This is what I dont understand in the replay disscussion, if the new PPU thingy handles all the Physics processing for the game, leaving the Video card more free resources for regular processing and what not,  (please forgive my tachnical terms) Wouldnt that mean it is technically easier to do replays, as you have this free space?

If all these neew physics are handled by a new and seperate device, why does it make them harder to do?

This is why:

A replay is NOT like a simple FRAPS capture turned to mpg video. If it were, you would only be able to rewatch a replay from the point of view ONE "camera" or player.

Instead, a replay is a recording of all the data input from all the players, as it came in from the players' computers, timed and sequenced, and stored as a file that a computer can later use to re-render the game exactly as it played out the first time, and from the point of view of any player chosen, repeating/revealing exactly what a particular player saw and did as the replay is re-rendered.

So -- one major purpose of a replay is to see what a particular player saw during that game. However, since an AGEia card will never render an explosion (or smoke, fog, etc.) the same way twice, that means that during a replay, the replay itself will never show exactly what a player with an AGEia card saw because the AGEia card will render it differently on every replay, which sort of reduces the effectiveness of the replay as a tool.

--Logos

Edited by Logos

You know, as I think about this some more, this really shouldn't preclude replays from the game.

While an AGEia card would in fact render certain things differently with each replay, how often would an explosion/particle effect/whatever come into play in such a way that the AGEia card would render things so differently that an admin couldn't use the replay to spot hackers? By my estimation -- probably not that often.

Just a thought.

--Logos

The other thing for me is this, there are tones of cheats, some allowing you to shoot through walls, other perfect rets, whatever, and replays would still be abl to capture these elements too.

And if the explosion renders diffrently every time making that aspect less effective in a replay, thats just something we the gamer have to trade off for the visual experince, and Im fine with that, it'll be the day when I allow myself to not experince the best possible at the cause of a hacker.