Whats The Future Of GRAW2

Well the game has been out a few weeks now and I see plenty of people playing it. Hats off to Grin for the latest patch which seems to have fixed many bugs within the game.

However, as a Clan Leader and a member of staff at an Anticheat organisation I may look at things slightly different to others.

We as a clan have made a decision to possibly leave the Ravenshield community with the intension of taking GRAW2 as our new game. Now originating from the original GR it`s going to be nice to get back to our roots gamewise.

However it concerns me as to how much support GRIN is actually going to give this game and I don`t mean that disrespectfully to Grin. I remember [GR] coming up with an AC called Kidbu$ter and needless to say the game slowly died.

Now GRAW2 has the potencial of being a great game, one to follow in the footsteps of RvS & [GR] providing it gets the support and the right support. Things are needed from an admins perspective in order for server admins to run a good server and the AC community to work with the game.

Server logs are needed so that admins can trace people who come into their servers. These log files need to show their game names, their IP and also their game ID. Along with this their needs to be the option of the loading of custom banlists when the server is started. Those custom banlists needs to be edditable so that bans can be added manually if needed.

The main banlist of the game needs to be somehow streamed to all servers. If someone is caught in one server they need banning from all AC activated servers, surely this is just common sense. Replays should also be available like in the [GR] for reveiw purposes after matching.

I would be curious as to GRINS opinions on these small matters. We are going to need to make a decision as to whether to play this game as our clans primary game but there are so many unanswered questions.

I know you need to keep the AC close to heart, I understand that, but genuine admins needs some reassurance that the software is going to be updated. This is where streaming comes in handy, it keeps things live.

IMHO we could really do with PsB coming onboard to run an MBL eqiverlant for GRAW2. The method is so simple yet so effective. The game will soon lose the interest of clans if we have to wait months for AC updates.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as far as the future of the MP side goes - I am personally working on a TRR gametype prupose built for a league - it involved random respawns around the map which may not be eveyrones cup of tea but provides great MP gaming experience.

But the cheating side is an issue and I think for serious MP gamers and hosters I'm sure you can come up with some system of logging hackers.

I prefer to Mod nowadays so I dont get involved in that ###### anymore but it is one of the main reasons I stopped playing competitive MP and switched to COOP.

Has anyone tried using random screenshot takes from ingame?

Well, GRAW 1 was patched to 1.35 and GRAW 2 is only to 1.03. While I know that there is no direct relationship, but I hope that is some indication of Grin's committment to supporting GRAW 2.

Sorry to ###### on your bonfire cangaroo, but by saying that graw had 35 patches eg 1.35 and that Graw 2 has only had 3 eg 1.03 is very misleading even by a fanboy like you.

as far as the future of the MP side goes - I am personally working on a TRR gametype prupose built for a league - it involved random respawns around the map which may not be eveyrones cup of tea but provides great MP gaming experience.

But the cheating side is an issue and I think for serious MP gamers and hosters I'm sure you can come up with some system of logging hackers.

I prefer to Mod nowadays so I dont get involved in that ###### anymore but it is one of the main reasons I stopped playing competitive MP and switched to COOP.

Looking forward to the mod. I read a few of your posts in the mod forum and am looking forward to what you are going to make.

There is limited information we can get right now. Beaver has posted some tools for logging IP's and ripping out network traffic to parse out player's information. I haven't tried it on our server yet but will be looking into it soon.

As far as random screen shots, well I don't think that's possible right now. Currently the only way to take is a screen shot is manually through the console by an admin present in game. If we could get some sort of remote admin, a script could be made to randomly ask for screen shots as specified intervals I'm sure. However at present it's not possible.

EDIT: Fixed who posted external logging tools

Edited by FI_FlimFlam

Well, GRAW 1 was patched to 1.35 and GRAW 2 is only to 1.03. While I know that there is no direct relationship, but I hope that is some indication of Grin's committment to supporting GRAW 2.

Sorry to ###### on your bonfire cangaroo, but by saying that graw had 35 patches eg 1.35 and that Graw 2 has only had 3 eg 1.03 is very misleading even by a fanboy like you.
Wow. That is idiotic. It is so idiotic, not even I know how to reply. Note, I'm not saying that you are an idiot. I'm really not. I'm just saying that the words you typed are really, really, really idiotic. I'm flummoxed! Stymied! :wall::wacko:

I think what you're doing is looking for a reason to disagree with me, and for some reason decided to pick that post. I think you would have been better off just calling me a jerk. At least we could all agree on that. In fact, just edit your post to say "Cangaroo, you're a jerk." And then I'll edit this post to say "Okay. I know."

To some it's not about patches !! RvS has lasted for 4 years so far and UBI dropped its last patch in coming up to 2 years ago now and the game was still full of bugs, but it was the community which kept it going plus a very very good SADS and AC and we'll ignore R6LD and R6LV they never happened !! :wall:

GRAW 2 is miles better than GRAW but TBH there won't be any more long lasting supported Pc games, there is no money in it for UBI so No real SAD's and no real AC will be the fall of this game. Just look at the server listing compared to BF2 etc (yes I know a different style of games !!) but good SAD's and AC software.

Just by looking at the gamespy listing says it all really. BF2 = 5277 Server GRAW 2 = 0 on Gamespy because it doesn’t work right on there, doesnt even find it when it scans my hard drive for it !!, But looking through the server listings in game there is about 150 and 2/3rds of those are empty.

Just my 2 pence !!

A.

Edited by FcUK_A

thank god for rr

second patch...the servers are still VERY much empty. I don't understand. <_<

we just got mod tools but, they are so raw that the GRAW1 editor makes this look like something that slapped together. I don't see many mods with this game, maps maybe but mods, weapons..maybe a few like GRAW1.

the editor needs serious refinement so everyone can use it.

I don't think that cheats are a big issue in GRAW. I've seen some in GRAW1, but after 3 months that was no fun for them anymore and they left. And surprise surprise they are back now graw2 has arrived... but after 3 months or so they will be bored again.

On the other hand to have the ladders take off anti-cheat can be of great improtance, and I'd like to see replays.

A ban-list for all servers could be done because everyone gets connected thrugh gamespy (or gamespy software on ubisoft servers whatever) but those bans should only be implemented by a gamespy/ubi-official there are always people that do not like eachother and getting someone banned on a server is quite easy if the server admin is an amateur or likes the one that has a problem with the proposed cheater.....

First of all I'd like laddering to take off before grin puts alot of effort in anti-cheats I'd rather see more MP maps or some maps from GR/GRAW1 put into graw 2

we just got mod tools but, they are so raw that the GRAW1 editor makes this look like something that slapped together. I don't see many mods with this game, maps maybe but mods, weapons..maybe a few like GRAW1.

Give it a chance. I haven't even bought the game yet and I don't think I am alone in that; vacations are just letting its grip on many of us.

Ok question for you then, How many GRAW Servers are there then ?

I bought the game but played it a week and binned it (Back of the draw to never see the light again !!)

Does GRAW have a cracking AC now then also does it have a pucker SAD's files Mmm I don't think they do.

Sorry I’m a negative person when it comes to UBI but it’s because they never deliver what the community want which is a good FPS with good SAD's and AC plus patching for years to come.

A.

I'm not even hoping for new official maps...I'm just hoping that UBI can see (with the help of GRIN and our friendly Wolfsong) that adding MP support to the SP maps through a patch would increase sales alot. Just on these forums there are alot of people that still haven't bought the game, waiting on word that it will be worth it. More playable MP maps would help do that. Adding random inserts through a patch would also help do that.

technically there are more then 9 maps - once the mission maps are converted to mp which is simple to do and im sure modders are working on it at present - then that will add another 10 or so.

plus some new gametypes are being worked on.

once the "rules" for these gametypes are release they can be set up on any of the existing maps and any player made maps. in fact the rules for HH, TDM, DM, SIEGE, and COOP are all sitting there rdy to go - it just a matter of dropping the locations on the current maps.

Wolfsong is working on new gametypes at present and Im working on one gametype for all maps, and over time intend to release small and large versions of the maps depending on player numbers (no promises - just strong intentions)

NOTE:-

[GR] had about 45 maps after 3 expansions and 3 years.

GRAW2 could have 25 - 35 within the next 6 months.

'nuff said - work to be done.

Edited by PoW_LigHtsPeEd

Give it a chance. I haven't even bought the game yet and I don't think I am alone in that; vacations are just letting its grip on many of us.

I know you're optimism but, the editor looks like a quick thrown together editor. I'd also like to remind others that Grin said we'd get tools like they used. I was stupid and made the assumption that the tools would be full and hearty like GRAW's. My God, we have gone from bad to worse. but hey, I'm going to simply let nature here take it's course. <_<

IF. the editor functioned like GRAW's did AND it worked like it by having the map bundled, then we'd be happy. but now you have to place files in a folder structure as the game uses, then bundle it with the bundler, which has yet to work for me according to the documentation. BRILLIANT! <_<

This just gets worse. the franchise of GR has regressed, the editor has regressed..now I'm ....REGRESSING!!! :o

anti-cheat or not, games will always have them. like hackers, when DVD's had encryption, some kid cracks the encryption. like games, when someone builds an AC, someone will counter it. <_<

The AC really is not the issue here its whether we will be able to stream a global banlist and whether we will have server logs so that AC Communities can support this game too.

No AC is rock solid but the likes of PsB / RA / ACAU & SAC which are all AC Organisations helps server admins keep out the filth by the way of catching known cheaters via IP & Aliases, screenshot/fraps reveiws & MD5 checks.

We have to think about how many bans the actual AC puts on a list compared to the likes of PsB & other AC communities !!

But all I hear here is maps this, gamemodes that. There is no point in any of this without the fundamental admin tools as stated above !!

If all else fails I guess we could modify MINESWEEPER to take 32 players !!

The future of the game depend on what the game as to offer.You cannot run a server with only 5 coop maps for a long time .Players will get bored very fast...as you can see they're is not a lot of players on servers.To run a good coop servers you need maps only in GRAW1 [GR] I made 30 maps remake an custom.

The map modders are responsable for coop longevity its very simple NO MAPS=NO SERVERS=GAME OVER.

And now most of you are in between GRAW and GRAW2.And I hope they're will not released a GRAW3.

GRAW2 had a very bad start it is buggy like all the GR series it need to be fixed and most important the communauty need more maps specialy for coop.Until then you can continue playing GR and GRAW cause those has a lot to offer in coop.