GRIN Gag Order

UPDATE

The word on the street, as they say, is that things are about to turn around :)

So, get down the store, buy the game (unless you are in the US :lol: ), post up what needs fixed and start enjoying it - I know I am!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE

So, get down the store, buy the game (unless you are in the US :lol: ), post up what needs fixed and start enjoying it - I know I am!

Keep us updated.

UPDATE

Thanks for the update, i will hold onto my money just a bit longer they may change their minds again. :wall:

I just don't get Ubi; nonetheless, I will be buying GRAW2 ASAP, (a) in support of GRIN, and (b) because the demo picqued my interest. I almost listed the inclusion of the M14 as ©, but GRIN, you guys need to allow a red dot or ACOG on the non-sniper version in MP; come on, now.

Still, many thanks for the email addresses at Ubi corporate; there are plenty of articulate, passionate GR fans who frequent these boards, and not to be pessimistic about the future, but everyone should hang onto these just in case Ubi does something else senseless in the future.

Not that I think that would ever happen.

UPDATE

Very good news, shuting this type of door would have been an insane act.

:yes: Very happy about the U turn :yes:

QUOTE(Rocky @ Jul 14 2007, 11:58 AM) *

UPDATE

The word on the street, as they say, is that things are about to turn around smile.gif

So, get down the store, buy the game (unless you are in the US laugh.gif ), post up what needs fixed and start enjoying it - I know I am!

Thats Great to hear Rocky

I was going to post here this morning and amend my post from last night. , After sleeping on it I wanted to make a couple of points

1) I support Rocky and GR.Net despite my join date and post count I have been around for several years, ever since I found the Tom Clancy PC games and having seen the support this community right here gives the Ghost Recon title in all its incarnations is a testament to a love of the genre and especially the game. By disrespecting GR.net and Rocky they are disrespecting us

2) Despite my misgivings and the obvious lack of honor on a certain corporations part I wanted to say I would purchase this title...why? because GRIN has poured their time and hearts and souls into trying to make this an experience we would all enjoy as much as they seem to. And they deserve our respect for their efforts. To not buy this title might be a way of voicing our displeasure to Boobisoft err Ubisoft but it also Slaps GRIN in the face despite their effforts.

So I have come to the conclusion that I will :

Support GR.Net and Rocky

Support GRIN

But UBI ....Fool me once......

There is a gag order in place, and it hasn't anything to do with wasted time. Remember, GRIN guys read and post in here in their OWN time too, under that gag order they can't even do that.

Hopefully Ichabod's post is a good indicator for the coming weeks.

Yesterday I forgot to bring that under the attention, good you did today Rocky! It's just absurd that these committed developers aren't even allowed to communicate with their fan base in their own free time.

Good to see something is changing these comming days. Enjoy the weekend GRIN'ers!

Wow, just when I thought maybe Ubisoft was getting better at supporting it's titles it pulls this. What a joke. :angry: I can't even imagine what logic Ubisoft is using to justify this action. Very stupid of Ubisoft if you ask me. Then again, being stupid is what Ubisoft is all about apparently.

Edited by Demanufakture

ROTFLMAO

Rocky I took your stance and went out and got the game this morning

I am on my second disk from the shop and it still wont install

Great job NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

error 1 auto run wont work I get this

http://www.tagaming.com/instal1.jpg

Then the screen shows this

http://www.tagaming.com/instal2.jpg

If I explore the disk and run setup I get a bit of an install and add the cd key then get this

http://www.tagaming.com/instal3.jpg

I have a AMD 4200 dual 2 gigs muskin ram and a 7800 gt GFX card the demo works great

Just wanted to let you people know, that I too did submit an email to them, expressing my displeasures..

LAURENT DETOC

Executive Director, North America

Laurent.detoc@ubisoft.com

Edited by Stormin

I really hope that someone at UBI gets some sense about them. Whether it be from a bump on the head, or their guru, or from a long psychedelic trip....it really does not matter. Banning ppl from communicating. Sounds kinda like a communist ideal eh? Or even better, what the plantation owners did in the deep south to ensure that the slaves did not revolt against them. <end rant> Anywhoo, it seems to me that the state of PC gaming has entered into some trying times. Lets face it fellas, the console gaming market accounts for the lion's share of the developer's profits.....and they don't talk back. :ermm: What these guys fail to realize, is that we represent the ENTIRE gaming community when we speak out, and to end talks with us will send shockwaves through the entire genre. Just because a console gamer only games on a console, does not mean that they don't use their PC to communicate with the world. It is about time that these developers/distributors come to respect and learn from this communication process. ESPECIALLY UBI. Look at what happend to Splinter Cell: Double Agent. Met with it's end on PC with NO SUPPORT and NO PATCHES (for vista). She just wernt coded for PC use cap'n. Personally, I never bought the game. I was excited about the arrival....awaited the ONLINE REVIEWS and TESTIMONIALS...and this information, OPENLY SHARED online is what allowed me to make a well-informed decision NOT to buy the game. Thanks online community and freedom of speech, you saved me another 50 bucks and a lot of migranes. :wall:

C'mon. Let's keep these lines of communication open. I want to give you my cash just as bad as you want me to. Don't tread on me.

It would be a bad move.

- a concerned gamer

Okay I'm not as articulate or constructive as some of you so here's my opinion. I think Ubi made a big mistake and I think they're gonna notice it. All they have to do is read these forums and their own forums for the PC version and know they've made a very big mistake. I think it's ridiculous and stupid(typical ubisoft) Sounds like they're tryin to shaft us again. First RSE was moved to do console versions of the game which I could care less about since GRIN has already outdone them IMHO. Not even gonna get into the release date. And now they pull this? I think GRIN being able to post here and respond to our feedback is what made the game so great. For the first time I actually feel close with a developer. The whole GRIN staff is just awesome and I really look forward to any other future games they release. And this will probably be the last game I buy from Ubi as well. This really makes me wonder whether or not they're gonna continue the GR series for PC. Before this gag order, Wolfsong actually PMd me about the insertions because I was complaining about them so much. There's no other developer I know of that is that close with its gamers. They're as close to modders as it gets. Their personality that is. Modders to me are players or people that listen to other players to add in sweet stuff and GRIN is definately close to that. But Ubi...I'm just gonna refrain from calling you that 4-letter F word for a certain amphibian. And GRIN you rock.

p.s. not sure if Ichabod's post shows if the gag order was lifted cause he didn't say too much.

Just a thought for UBI,

isn't the breakdown of communications the first step in any major confrontation?

Personally i have already given up on UBI products (2005) along with EA products (2003) because they belive that anything they produce is above reprouch or has any flaws. The fact that I dont buy products from these manufactors does not mean that I have no interest in what they are doing. I watch, I listen, I read. I try to keep my information up todate so that I always have options to change my mind. So far, for the amount of time that I haven't supported any products from these companies, nothing has changed my mind to change my position, but I continue to watch, listen and read so I can see if anything has changed.

WOW WHAT A LONG THREAD AND WHAT HAS CAME OUT OF IT

YOU GUYS MUST OF KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN WITH ALL THE MOANING THAT GOES ON (NOT BY ALL), GRIN DID TRY AND HELP BUT IT WAS AN UPHILL TASK WITH SOME OF YOU GUYS, GRAW 1 NOT TAKING OFF MAYBE HELPED WITH THEIR DECISION.

YOU ALL WILL STILL BUY UBI GAMES BECUASE AT THE MOMENT THEY ARE BETTER THAN THE REST, UNTIL A WORTHY REPLACEMENT IS HERE UBI CAN DO WHAT THEY LIKE.

WE ARE A COMMUNITY DIVIDED AND YOU ALL KNOW IT, UNTIL THAT CHANGES NOTHING WILL.

Wrong JJuk, I've already have started this "barring" of UBI's games with Splintercell:Double Agent (xbox360, PC), Rainbow Six: Vegas(xbox360, PC), and any other numerous titles that they release where I don't see developer Intereaction.

I was about to add Ghost Recon Advance Warfighter 2 to that list, So you can attempt to call my bluff but in the end it really isnt a bluff so ubi would be shooting themselfs in the foot like they've done mulitple times in the past.

Wrong JJuk, I've already have started this "barring" of UBI's games with Splintercell:Double Agent (xbox360, PC), Rainbow Six: Vegas(xbox360, PC), and any other numerous titles that they release where I don't see developer Intereaction.

I was about to add Ghost Recon Advance Warfighter 2 to that list, So you can attempt to call my bluff but in the end it really isnt a bluff so ubi would be shooting themselfs in the foot like they've done mulitple times in the past.

They are poor games thats why you didnt get them no other reason.

^ Oops. The deadly caps lock.

Anyways, I'm glad the gag order has been lifted. At first, I was starting to think UBI didn't want this franchise to be successful on the PC.

I KNEW CAPS WERE ON and now there off i am cooling down. :)

Bad times ladies and gentlemen, bad times....

What about Redstorm? Are they banned too? Usually only Serellan posts anyway.

It seems to me the gag on Ubi employees and subsidiaries (RSE) has been in place for some time, based on the frequency of communication.

If there is a question posted, it usually takes 10-14 days to get an answer from an official source, which has long led me to believe that the response has to be run through Ubi PR, VPs and lawyers; in general, through the bureaucracy.

We used to see many more quick responses from RSE staff as late as GR:SS, but it seems shortly after that Ubi clamped down on communication.

Ever since GRAW, UBI communication and PR has been my #1 complaint with the company.

Very unfortunate. :(

I didn't get R6:Vegas because I knew it wasn't going to be a game that I wanted to play, with LD I knew they were abandoning the traditional Tactics based game and then went with and Arcade Action oriented game.

(I'm primairly a R6 fan but the series is dead to me)

This was when Vegas was recieving all the praise for being great (so really your assumption is wrong...care to try again) and the same was true for Double agent, I knew they were sooner then later going to simply turn it into another massmarket wonder

so you'r preception that they were poor games was wrong.

Actually JJUK, there's plenty of good games out there. In fact, if I didn't know better, I'd say you're a representative for Ubi. Seems like ur just a cheerleader for em though. I play BF 2142 and after R6 Vegas, I decided if they make another R6, I'm not buying it cause that game crashed more than GRAW 1. And I beg to differ with you on the fact that we're a divided community. Everybody in this thread has said it was a bad decision for Ubi to slap a gag order down on GRIN. And I think the whole GR PC gaming community is the reason Ubi finally lifted the order. It's 8 pages of people protesting it. Some people protested it differently than others but we were still pursuing the same goal. And yeah those games that bangurdead named were crap but there are a lot more GR PC fans than R6 PC fans and I guarantee you if Ubi slaps another gag order on GRIN, the reason for us not buying the next addition to the GR series will be because of that. It wasn't just here at GR.NET that people complained about it. They did the same thing on the Ubi forums. I don't even know how long that thread was. But for a lot of the PC GR fans, I think Ubi's getting on their last nerve. I know they're getting on my last one. But I'm definately glad they lifted the order cause that shows they know they were making a big mistake.

If anybody is a member of Digg.com, I put the story up over there.

http://digg.com/gaming_news/UBI_Places_Gag..._Developer_GRIN

Well, if the GR.net web server crashes and burns, we know who to thank!

Well ROCKY, when and if this happens mate, not to worry, Blackfoot studios would be a great community to move on to mate :thumbsup:

with this news, I might as well save my quid for the BFS title.

Rocky, you NEVER have to hide anything from us, we need to stand together! :yes:

I guess this means Grin will walk away from UBISOFT..yay for GRIN. now GRIN, go make a kick ass first person shooter of your own. then you can make it YOUR way ;)

I'm boycotting UBISOFT!!! :pirate:

x2

Best thing for them would be to leave Ubisoft.

They are a great dev team who has tried to help and work together with the community. But as long as they are with Ubi, they cant live up to their potential.

Ubi may feel its cheaper to sabotage their games to get unsuspecting customers to buy their games for a quick buck, but they are fools in that if they made a great game that people actually wanted to play. It would bring in 100 times more people to buy their products.

and JJUK your so totally wrong, Ubi has been making some of the most shotty games. They have been turning off so many long time customers and potential customers its not even funny.

If they dont do a 180 on this, and call it a mistake. Allow GRiN to speak freely and work together with the community, no 1 month deadline, patchings stop when they are no longer desperitly needed. I'll never ever ever buy a game/product with Ubisoft on it again.

I guess for now, I'll just continue playing ArmA.

Actually JJUK, there's plenty of good games out there. In fact, if I didn't know better, I'd say you're a representative for Ubi. Seems like ur just a cheerleader for em though. I play BF 2142 and after R6 Vegas, I decided if they make another R6, I'm not buying it cause that game crashed more than GRAW 1. And I beg to differ with you on the fact that we're a divided community. Everybody in this thread has said it was a bad decision for Ubi to slap a gag order down on GRIN. And I think the whole GR PC gaming community is the reason Ubi finally lifted the order. It's 8 pages of people protesting it. Some people protested it differently than others but we were still pursuing the same goal. And yeah those games that bangurdead named were crap but there are a lot more GR PC fans than R6 PC fans and I guarantee you if Ubi slaps another gag order on GRIN, the reason for us not buying the next addition to the GR series will be because of that. It wasn't just here at GR.NET that people complained about it. They did the same thing on the Ubi forums. I don't even know how long that thread was. But for a lot of the PC GR fans, I think Ubi's getting on their last nerve. I know they're getting on my last one. But I'm definately glad they lifted the order cause that shows they know they were making a big mistake.

Mate im a GR fan and i dont care (well i do in a way cause it has to be good) who makes it, i would buy it anyways, i dont buy UBI games, i just buy games, no matter who makes them, i to am glad that unofficially Grin can now open there mouths through GR.net, i built my comp for Graw once Gr died off, the community is divided which mainly is a good thing for Gr it was all positive which helped build that community, Graw 1 all negative which helped destroy the game and communtiy(desroy maybe a to strong a word i know), i hope people can truly see Graw 2 in a different light and help build this game so it lasts more than a couple of months.

Hopefully the posts did make up the minds of UBI but time will tell.

As paying customers we have a lot of power. I've been thinking of things we could do besides petitioning the military to invade France. :D We can make ourselves heard.

I just want everyone to know it's really hard for me to avoid the French jokes right now. Everyone should be very proud of me for not going there.