Gameplay Genius

I registered here to toss out a positive thread to the devs of GRAW.

I want to compliment GRIN on their initial development of GRAW and subsequent support. The gameplay is terriffic. I would like to highlight the reasons why, then explain where I am comming from on this.

1. Domination mode really forced me to learn to use "base" weapons. I learned to use ironsights on a stripped M8, and appreciate the advantages and disadvantages of weapon mods. The mode itself really gets the battle moving and is condusive to team play and fast-paced front line battles.

2. Skeptical of the pistol for Deathmatch, I have learned to love it. The tweaks to the "headshot" capability in the game, make the pistol deadly against any weapon if in the hands of a skilled shooter who moves wisely and takes careful aim. When I use a regular rifle now I am even more of a threat. Awesome gameplay choice GRIN you really improved my skills by forcign me to start with the pistol. PLUS, I now have turned the seemingly useless MP5 into a deadly weapon as well...I knew that for 260pts it had to rock if used right.

3. The weapon balance in this game is incredible. Every weapon is deadly in its own way. Nothing is nerfed and tactics really matter. Each weapon allows for slightly different gameplay as well thanks to its particular characteristics or mods. For example the MP5 allows for fast undetected and closeup hit and run headshots, while the SCARs allow for steady tactical movement with devistating firepower. The SAW allows one to get close, pick a spot and just light up a street. And the sniper rifle...well GRIN you guys have made that a game onto itself; with dynamic shadows on you can judge an opfor's position behind a wall and just blow him away when he thinks he has cover....JUST ###### AWESOME.

4. The new hitboxes are great. I was wary about increased "headshot" capability, but it is not donkey kong style bobble heads, it it very well done. The new patch allows players to now pull out lower caliber weapons and be just as deadly as the rifle users. These weapons are quiet with high rates of fire and easier to aim. Combined with the reticule nudge they can now be just as deadly on the battlefield, opening up the game play to swift and silent attacks by skilled players.

5. Great new maps, and existing maps. Complex, beautiful, diverse and quite tactical. (clans...I suggest privitising your server and tryig suburbs without night vision...its is quite amazing and fun)

6. Some bugs, but unhindered gameplay. Yes the release has been a bit peacemeal, but everything has been solid, and I would always prefer a solid game in installments than a buggy game all at once. Keep it commin GRIN each installment is great.

Where I am commin from:

I have been into tactical shooters since the original Rainbow Six hit the shelves. I played GR1 with desert seige and island thunder....excellent game, and I truly belive this game, with the patches is going to become as legendary as the original (mind you I played GR1 up until Dec 2003). I have also played coutnerstrike, which I hated for its wannabe tactical but actual arcade style. I spent several years playing America's Army, which I loved for its realism and tactics...and I must say, this game surpasses it by leaps and bounds in terms of realism (hopefully we can keep the hackers out too..and I right AA fans :)). I have also spent alot of time playing BF2, and can truly state that it is better to realsease a solid game in peices than a super buggy game all at once.

ALSO I hope GRIN continues to stick to the ethics of the game and ignore gamplay compalints by noobs who get owned and spend more time whinning in the forums than playing the game (not a rip on anyone here, more of a rip on dice for listenting to the endless complaints on BF2 forums to which end the game has been consistantly watered down by idiodic devs to the point where there are few tactical choices left in the game, it winning is only about who can puch a sequence of buttons that take advantage of a glitch the fastest).

There are endless aracde shooters out there, but only one GRAW. Excellent realism, but with gameplay fun like respawns to keep you fully entertained. At the age of 25 I have been shooting real rifles and handguns for 13 years now, and I gotta say this game has the best realism/gameplay weapons balance to date (cept maybe for brothers in arms, but bunny hopping is too annoying there). Keep it up guys, hardcore fans like me who need a nice break after work thank you for your efforts.

Thanks for the compliments.

Note: By acknowledging the OP's positive notes, I do not in any way state that the game is flawless. In other words: No need to turn this thread into another "well what about this and that? There are still so much to fix, blah blah blah" thread. We're aware of the flaws - it's good to hear some well written and thought-through praises once in a while. Warms a developer's heart, and keeps him going...

Deja-vu? Im 100% that i've read this one somewhere else....nicely done :grin1:

well with our resident stonethrowers its easy to get kinda disheartened sometimes and it does warm the heart to see that some people like game and cares enough to post about it.

I believe that it takes twice the passion to write about something you like than something you hate!

and it does keep our motor running.even tho diesel is the official fuel.

Games got some great points to it. 1.16 helped a lot. It shows that GRIN is committed to making this the game that can live up to the GR name. Keep up the good work.

But, just to be on the safe side I can throw a stone if you want. Dont want you guys to get too comfortable. :P

Games got some great points to it. 1.16 helped a lot. It shows that GRIN is committed to making this the game that can live up to the GR name. Keep up the good work.

But, just to be on the safe side I can throw a stone if you want. Dont want you guys to get too comfortable. :P

ofcourse, comfortable is never good, stonecasters keep us on our toes!

Good post and I agree 100%.

Even with the missing parts of MP (the part that has us MP'ers throwing stones), I think just about everyone can see the potential of this game and really want to see that potential realized.

Keep working hard GRIN...I see this game getting closer and closer to what we want in an MP game...that being said, I truly think you guys had something awesome and something to be totally proud about in the SP game at release! :grin1:

well with our resident stonethrowers its easy to get kinda disheartened sometimes and it does warm the heart to see that some people like game and cares enough to post about it.

I believe that it takes twice the passion to write about something you like than something you hate!

:rofl: i replied to the thread creator

If that takes twice the heart then it takes four times the heart to stick with something you hate and try to help the developer make it enjoyable. :whistle:

Edited by CkZWarlord

Good post!

#2 Makes me look at the pistol "thing" in new light. I still detest it, but you've got a point.

#4 I still straddle the fence on this one. I always just felt that the headshots were the way they were before because of the range I was firing at, and that I typically was hitting an area with armor (re: helmets)

#5 The night map REALLY makes the dynamic lighting BEAUTIFUL. I love seeing an area "Flare" up in a firefight, it really adds alot to the game. I almost wish I could actually play a map like that entirely with a pub, but...

Fun stuff.

(P.S. Where's the propane for your Diesel engine? :) )

(P.S.S. I just posted about how disapointed I was in the quality of posts latly. This makes me happy. Not that you care)

Edited by MikSnoopy

(Just to add to the good feeling)

Grinners: This night I had a marvelous time. I consciously looked for low ping few players domination servers. I also tested some of the custom maps. We were mainly 6 (3v3) players... HOW GOOD!!!! Walking down streets not knowing where they were hiding... listening to footsteps, to distant shots... thinking Where will they move after pinning them down? etc...

The inmerssion is great and i'm happy to have bought this one. :)

Stones?... I recall it were more like boulders being dropped at one point, but if you look at this forum alone now, people are talking more about maps they have made, anticipation of the next patch you guys are working on etc

It's not so bad, even the negative type threads seem to have alot of good suggestion in

them.

If it hasn't been done already, once the Summer has past ...the cold weather kicks in, and the servers don't start getting busy, don't be half suprised if UBI come knocking with a request for a new addon....rebuild the buzz to get people buying up inc the original, so you get all this fun again. LOL

1. Domination mode really forced me to learn to use "base" weapons. I learned to use ironsights on a stripped M8, and appreciate the advantages and disadvantages of weapon mods. The mode itself really gets the battle moving and is condusive to team play and fast-paced front line battles.

Could'nt have put it better!

The gameplay in Graw pc campaign has provided me the most realistic and enjoyable gaming experience till date in SP ( compared to any other tactical shooter that I have ever played ). :) I think, in all this commotion over an incomplete game at the time of release, this very positive aspect about Graw needs to be recognised. In short, the SP campaign is mindblowing the first time you play it and the game provides a solid platform for a very good game in the days to come. :thumbsup:

There should have been two teams developing this game. Other team does SP and those more experienced guys doing MP. If its up to me, I'd buy MP part of the game only. I dont play SP so I hoped there was something to play in MP. Well, as we know now. there wasnt. Im sure GRAW suffers cause it's mainly done for Xboxkids playing with three thumps, but thats a bad excuse to publish game like it is now.

There should have been two teams developing this game. Other team does SP and those more experienced guys doing MP. If its up to me, I'd buy MP part of the game only. I dont play SP so I hoped there was something to play in MP. Well, as we know now. there wasnt. Im sure GRAW suffers cause it's mainly done for Xboxkids playing with three thumps, but thats a bad excuse to publish game like it is now.

:santa:

I was with you until you wrote

Im sure GRAW suffers cause it's mainly done for Xboxkids playing with three thumps
- that is a complete misconception, couple that with people that I trust telling me that the 360 version is head and shoulders better than the PC version.

With all that said This game is fun for me, in both MP & SP, but I will concede that it's lacking in some areas, most notable is MP.

Hey Grin,

I have to say in terms of immersion of play, this game has it. Des.. great job on the sounds. There is nothing quite like hearing a gun fight in the distance with nades going off, echoing in the streets and alley's.

The graphics I think they are top notch. :)

One of the only things I would like to see implemented/changed would be more randomness where the tango's appear on a map in CO-OP mode. but I am sure you've heard it before. Mind you the missions are still difficult knowing exactly where the enemy is going to be. But know where they are going to be each time makes it more of a run through it until you have it all pegged out, the run throught it blind folded. Yes, Yes I know a little over kill on the exagerations.. :cowboy:

Anyway .. like I have said since I bought the game, you show dedication and pride in your work and it shows. I for one will not be tucking this one away and look forward to all the community and teh GRIN team brings on..

does TrippleB have the same ip as desmond? :D :D

While the game is not Ghost Recon it is slowly growing on me. I do like the fact that GRIN can admit some mistakes and is working to fix them. I do wish they were quicker to fix those mistakes though. Playing a modified dom map for TvT made the game much better to play since you couldn't tell how many people were in your zone.

I hope I wasnt too straight with my opinions, but as we know, we all have one.

I have not less than 9-10 years experience on online gaming and mostly FPS-genre. There are great games and then there are games I play for a month and cant remember after a second month. GRAW is latter. There is 13 games in dozen like this.

I loved GR back in the century, feeling was something unique after quakes and notsoreals. Since then there havent been any tacticalshooters out there and still isnt. I cant stand DM mode or respanws. I dont ask much, just do me a game where you need to think, not just react.

I was talking to some Grin in some public server and they promised me better sounds with this patch. Did they deceive me? Sure. Sounds them selves are quite ok, but direction and distance information is 5 years back. Theres some great hardware nowdays but if games are like this, theres not much use for those.

Im sure this post makes no sense but Im in a hurry and english aint my strongest language.

At least one GRIN dev had to guts to say that.

Respectable.

For the sake of balance...

.. i have to say that SP is one of the most frustrating and tiresome SP experiences I've ever encountered.

The reasons for this are:

1. Hugely inadequate manual/training mission.

2. Lethal enemy AI and dumb team AI.

Graphics are not everthing. It would help if we actually enjoyed playing this game.