GRAW - Realism optimization mod

rom8fd.jpg

Gameplay changes (mainly AI)

------------------------------

- When looking for cover now the ghost AI's top priority is safe cover

- When looking for cover now the ghost AI's secondary priority is a tactical advantage

- Under fire the ghost AI will immidiately move to the next best cover, watch out for the enemy and then return the fire

- Firestyle has been changed to "Defensive"

- The ghosts will keep a much shorter distance now to the player (30 feet at max.)

- Reloading will now far more often take place when behind cover instead of in the line of enemy fire

- The Abrahms inside the "Ready for bear" mission will now attempt to aim at an enemy tank while moving, instead of waiting 'til a given waypoint has been reached

Visual changes

-------------------------

- The sepia post effect has been reduced to zero which results in a fully colored cross com, drone camera, buddy cam and tactical map

- The specularity of the ghost's uniforms has been reduced to a value near zero in order to get rid of the "SciFi space suit look" specular lighting that sometimes showed up

- Various small details were added to gloves and clothing in general to make it look more realistic etc.

- Specular lighting has been increased on black weapons

- The fake environment mapping of the sniper scope is now much more visible

- Allen got a new face texture (see my sig pic - you may call him Smith now :lol: )

graw20060613024937629bw.th.jpggraw20060612153324576pv.th.jpgcypher1ps.th.jpggraw20060616160000653cu.th.jpggraw20060613032840675rt.th.jpggraw20060613032854876of.th.jpgunbenannt2kopie3me.th.jpg

Current status

-------------------------

Your feedback so far has been very valueable - I really appreciate it! :)

More testers are currently not needed but this may change as soon as the next Beta build of this mod is complete. Since Lancer already provided a texture pack with multicam weapons, I don't think it's necessary to provide another multicam pack (unless you want it). More features will be added to the above lists once a few little problems have been fixed. The next Beta version will also contain the above mentioned texture based changes (I wanted to keep the focus on the AI changes that's why the first build didn't contain the textures - sorry for that). Stay tuned! :)

Edited by Vth_F_Smith

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give it a test run for you mate if you dont get enough offers... :thumbsup:

Thanks comrade and please have a close look at the readme - especially the "Special thanks" section as soon as you get it! :thumbsup:

Oops....I just saw Lancer already released some Multicam skins....hmm....

Edited by Vth_F_Smith

Ooooooo.... me want..

BUT, the idea of adding multicamo skins and turning off Post effects, me don't like.

Well since Lancer already released some Multicam skins, I think I don't need to release another pack containing some - instead I'll stick to the AI effects and a few visual details!

Don't worry about the post effects - I completely kept them except the sepia filter. All the others (NV, explosions etc.) remain untouched and if you don't like what you see, then just hit the uninstall button inside the start menue and it's gone! ;)

Edited by Vth_F_Smith

Must say the AI's work much better now!

Yes, MUCH better. Your team-mates are more alert now. They sometimes say "Target spotted" even before I see someone.

Not only that, but when they're behind cover, that's when they reload.

When you have the Follow order on, they don't wait like half a block before following you. No, when you approach a ten foot distance, they began to follow and KEEP following, they don't just stop.

this sounds cool, will it be compatible with the graw community mod 1.0?

I don't think it's even touching any of the graw community mod files but I'm not 100% sure! :)

nice! sounds great. hope testing goes well.

Yep. The feedback has been very positive so far. The next beta version will also include some of the altered textures but first I need to get a little problem fixed! :)

BTW:

Is anyone of you aware of an installer routine that allows the player to select what he wants to install? I'd like to use such a routine because then you could decide what you want to keep and what you want to get modded. For example, if you don't like the sepia filter to be turned off then you can exclude it before you install the mod! :)

Edited by Vth_F_Smith

Must say the AI's work much better now!

Yes, MUCH better. Your team-mates are more alert now. They sometimes say "Target spotted" even before I see someone.

Not only that, but when they're behind cover, that's when they reload.

When you have the Follow order on, they don't wait like half a block before following you. No, when you approach a ten foot distance, they began to follow and KEEP following, they don't just stop.

Yea its really nice! Great job indeed. :grin1:

I'm thinking about reducing their distance even more because during my military training we always kept a very short distance between the squad leader and our comrades while each one of us was watching a specific sector (I'd love to integrate this - maybe even as a button from the command menue which causes the AI to regroup at the position of the teamleader but I don't think I know enough about the AI yet to incorperate this...however it stays on my list - maybe even Grin could / would help me with that).

What do you think? Shall I reduce the distance even more or keep it the way it is? :)

(Update: I was reconsidering my idea regarding the "move while each member is covering an individual fire sector" thing and I think it could be done quite easily by adding a function that basically works like the follow command....the only problem would be, to tell the AI which member needs to look where and following the player / it's comrades at the same time. Hmm.... Maybe I'll be able to pull it off, in a new version of the R.O.M. once the work on this one is complete. If you're able to help me with that, all kind of help is highly appreciated.)

Edited by Vth_F_Smith

@Vth F Smith: about your installation question. A cumbersome (but easy) way to let people decide which parts to install would be to put everything in seperate installers. IE, new AI in one, sepia filter in another, etc. That's what a few people did for mods in GR1. Just a thought, Good luck. :thumbsup: