Tracer rounds

There are two camps. Those who want tracers on every round in every gun are the arcade players. Those who want to get to decide whether they have tracers or not are the [GR] tactical players.

Devs or players can spout as much as they want about the benefits of tracers but the fact is having a big lightshow just totally makes the game an arcade experience.

It's obvious that there are too many BF2/CS fans involved in developing or publishing GRAW. This talk about how wonderful tracers are just proves it.

oh, have not fear...I've identified a way to get rid of tracers for those interested...probably post up how tonight.

Great! Then finally everyone can be happy :rolleyes:

Hey, I personally don't mind the tracers, but if people want them gone, I'd be happy to oblige. In MP it is a disadvantage for them, after all. ;)

t in warfare they will not use these rounds

wrong

tracer rounds in the daytime are almost useless

wow, wrong again. sounds like you probably need some real world experience before you start giving opinions on things you know little about, except for the reality that exists within the games you play. Not trying to be harsh, but learn when to quit brother.

the military tracer rounds i have fired through my car-15 were not visible during the daytime. again if you have information share it instead of just saying someone is wrong.

Those who want tracers on every round in every gun are the arcade players. Those who want to get to decide whether they have tracers or not are the [GR] tactical players.
I don't agree with that at all. I think it's great that firing gives your position away. And like Bumbi said, forces players to move their camping ######es.

Regarding the point that it's like a laser light show from Yes, I agree, tone it down! Reduce the number of tracer rounds and no tracers in any pistol or sniper rifle. And from what I can tell, the tracers do look a little bit too much like square-edged laser beams. Maybe a little graphical work could make them look a little less laser-like but I'm not holding my breath on that one. Even just thinning them down would greatly reduce the arcade-look.

It's obvious that there are too many BF2/CS fans involved in developing or publishing GRAW. This talk about how wonderful tracers are just proves it.
Actually, I think the only thing proven is that you don't know much about GR's core players and haven't been in these forums long enough to make a statment like that.

To have server options is an excellent solution that will please most players (server settings only to ensure all players on the same server have the same advantage/disadvantage).

Some examples of possible server options:

Realistic tracers: yes/no

Arcade (more hits to kill): yes/no *

Random fall when hit: yes/no

Disable tactical points: yes/no (makes all weapons available)

Show bodies: yes/no

Explosives: yes/no *

Sensors: yes/no *

etc etc....

*NOTE, was present in server settings in [GR]

Remember, A GRAW with options will make the game a great MP game for all various types of gamers, and will probably boost sales!

:g_withgrin:

in game, I haven't really noticed the tracers much at all and I never see it like it shows up in that video. I kinda like the way it is now.

Yeah Dude, You said that already on first page :whistle:

PS. I dont understand how it is posible though :huh:

Actually, I think the only thing proven is that you don't know much about GR's core players and haven't been in these forums long enough to make a statement like that.

I do think there is truth in the first statement, I also have the feeling that some GRIN devs, well at least GRIN-Bumbi has more of a CS preference than a background of GR. It seems to me, he is not a 'no spawn' GR player directly...who enjoy the feeling of being careful, stealthy, and acquiring few but sooOOO 'good-feel' kills rather the run'n gun type of game play with lots of spawns, racking kills and deaths up (nothing wrong with either of those, I enjoy both).

Of course this is pure speculation on my behalf, but GRIN-Bumbi's post surely gives an impression of that...

The beauty of GRAW is that the game has the potential to offer players both of these preferences of game play through dedicated server tools and customized server settings...(see also my previous post in this thread)

There are two camps. Those who want tracers on every round in every gun are the arcade players. Those who want to get to decide whether they have tracers or not are the [GR] tactical players.

Devs or players can spout as much as they want about the benefits of tracers but the fact is having a big lightshow just totally makes the game an arcade experience.

:yes:

Actually Chilles I've been playing [GR] since the demo was released. And i've been on these forums much longer than 'Poita'. I used a different name before. Oooo so i hope i'm qualified to have an opinion now.

When people start talking about 'wanting' to be seen and giving reasons such as 'it keeps the game moving' and call anyone who doesn't want to be seen 'campers' . . . then that's a clear sign of people who want action, action, action. which is its self a charactrisitc of 'arcade like play'.

Playing tactical means making desicions about what to do while you play, making desicions about how to win. Being forced to be seen because every shot you fire causes a big light line to point right at you means that you can only get one or two shots at an enemy which renders having a silencer mute. Even if you kill your target his team mates will know exactly where you are which means any tactical advantage you worked hard to create evaporates instantly. That means the tactical element of a game can only last for a moment. the very definition of arcade like play.

I agree with Bumbi. GRAW is a Public Game and as we all know someone always camp. Of course Clan Gamers dont see the sence behind it , but noone produce a game for Clans only. :g_withgrin: at this point.

I think there are a lot of other more important points who have been changed in the next comming weeks like kick a player or AC protection.

No tracers on Match - I´ll say yes :thumbsup:

Actually, I think the only thing proven is that you don't know much about GR's core players and haven't been in these forums long enough to make a statement like that.

I do think there is truth in the first statement, I also have the feeling that some GRIN devs, well at least GRIN-Bumbi has more of a CS preference than a background of GR. It seems to me, he is not a 'no spawn' GR player directly...who enjoy the feeling of being careful, stealthy, and acquiring few but sooOOO 'good-feel' kills rather the run'n gun type of game play with lots of spawns, racking kills and deaths up (nothing wrong with either of those, I enjoy both).

Of course this is pure speculation on my behalf, but GRIN-Bumbi's post surely gives an impression of that...

The beauty of GRAW is that the game has the potential to offer players both of these preferences of game play through dedicated server tools and customized server settings...(see also my previous post in this thread)

Nah, CS and BF are not really my cup of tea. I'm mostly into strategy games of all sorts, but I can play a good FPS any day. I can agree that I have not been really into GR or any other Clancy game before GRAW, but I do have played GR1 even if not on the same level as you guys. And even if I haven't been here very long, but I'm still entitled to an opinion, am I not?

And what I think and feel as a person really proves nothing. I am an single artist and have close to zero impact of the gameplay decissions in this game. I just come to like the gameplay in GRAW, and that the only statement I've made.

In GRAW, I like a game with limited respawns, 3 or 5 which makes each kill and each death important. And I like fighting in the shanty town low quarters (zone F and G if I think) where its skill in outmanouvering and outwitting the opponent that gives the reward. Knowing that there is another one hunting the hunter really gives satisfaction of the kill. Thats why I don't like snipers, they are no fun since they are in one spot all the time. I want my opponent to try to outmanouver me, because that also makes me respect the player that shot me.

But if it is a game with unlimited respawns, I'm less careful and more of a run'n gun player.

As you said, there is a lot of potential in this game to offer different kind of games for different type of players. Some by server settings and some by modding. Thats why I enjoyed making this game and kept playing it when it was "done" ;)

oh, have not fear...I've identified a way to get rid of tracers for those interested...probably post up how tonight.

Hi there scubaman, have you figured out a way to make the tracers spawn every 4-5 rounds, instead of the build-in constant tracer spawn we see now?

It would be nice to have the tracers in a more realistic way. I can understand the adversarial crowd wanting tracers in every round. It would seem that this would give away the dreaded adversarial campers.

CO-OP perspective

In CO-OP, most CO-OP players want tracers to be more realistic. This is because it gives more of an impression realism. CO-OP players mostly do not run-n-gun. Run-n-gun in CO-OP is viewed the same as camping in adversarial. We usually want to get as much of an impression of realism as possible. This is why we like playing missions (custom mostly) which allow our imagination to draw us further into the game world.

To the point...

Realistic tracer round use should be serverside optional. This would please all people.

silent_op

When people start talking about 'wanting' to be seen and giving reasons such as 'it keeps the game moving' and call anyone who doesn't want to be seen 'campers' . . . then that's a clear sign of people who want action, action, action. which is its self a charactrisitc of 'arcade like play'.

Playing tactical means making desicions about what to do while you play, making desicions about how to win. Being forced to be seen because every shot you fire causes a big light line to point right at you means that you can only get one or two shots at an enemy which renders having a silencer mute. Even if you kill your target his team mates will know exactly where you are which means any tactical advantage you worked hard to create evaporates instantly. That means the tactical element of a game can only last for a moment. the very definition of arcade like play.

Your point is well taken, especially the point about the silencer. Honestly, I don't like the way the tracers are implemented. To me they're butt-ugly and way overdone. But I'm no fan of "keep the game moving" or to "keep it action-oriented" either. I prefer stealth-play with more tactics and planning than shooting. The day that GRIN puts out an action-oriented sequel to GR is the day I start looking elsewhere.

The thing about combat whether it be real-life or in video games is that you can't expect to shoot and just stay in the same position. A basic tenet of infantry combat is "shoot and move, shoot and move" because as soon as you fire your weapon its sound (or muzzle flash) gives your position away. Even snipers know that the key to their survival is to shoot and move. So yeah, maybe the tracers are lame in that they instantly give your position away but you should still not to expect to just stay in the same position after firing.

Unless you're a silenced sniper, if a game let's you just sit in the same spot and not "pay for it" then it's not being realistic - that's all I'm trying to say.

And Poita, I owe you an apology for that comment. It was definitely a case of foot-in-mouth disease.

...where its skill in outmanouvering and outwitting the opponent that gives the reward. Knowing that there is another one hunting the hunter really gives satisfaction of the kill. Thats why I don't like snipers, they are no fun since they are in one spot all the time. I want my opponent to try to outmanouver me, because that also makes me respect the player that shot me.

:nono:

Sniping (IMO)

----> loud bang ----> move to new position ----> loud bang -----> move to new position. :ph34r:

Now I can't comment on the sniping in GRAW dom mode cos I can't stand playing domination (sorry). But in [GR], BF2 and OFP when I play(ed) as a sniper I always snipe and then relocate unless my weapon is supressed in some way. Even then I only stay in one place for 4-5 kills with a quieter weapon (e.g. the second unlock for snipers in BF2). If you can't figure out where you're being sniped from by a person who is just "camping" then quite frankly you deserve to die :rofl: unless the person is "spawnkilling" etc. I've sniped people who run back to the same spot 3-4 times in a row... well yeah you are gonna get sniped again and again if you do that. Also if you run and gun (ie you are more into the action side of things) chances are you cant see the sniper. Most people playing as sniper will go to the same spots on a map (especially the elevated ones like in BF2). I learn to snipe from the gutters or sides or roads cos nobody ever looks there :shifty:

Sniping is what makes GR intense for me personally. I havent got used to the sniper rifle in GRAW yet so i'm stuck with the SCARs at the mo. Surely you must get some satisfaction in sneaking up on a sniper or even sniping a sniper... I know I do. :P Give it a go

Thank's chiles, i appreciate your post.

We also seem to have the same approach to GR. I was always in the habit of shoot and move in [GR]. It was the only way to stay alive. It had great benefits too as i could shoot then move and cover the approach to my last spot and get a kill on anyone who zeroed in on where i 'was'. [GR] didnt need sci fi tracers to achieve this though. It was a necesity for audio reason rather than giant light lines pointing at the shooter.

Until some dense countryside maps are created for GRAW PC this won't be such an issue. But even firefights in the city that are a criss cross of tracer lines would be annoying.