This Game Will Never Be Popular Enough

I fear this game will never have a big enough community to ever make this game popular enough for longevity. Everytime I load the MP browser there is always only about 150 players or less playing(106 right now). I realize that when the MP patch comes out that this number will increase some. But, in all honesty have you ever seen a game patch increase the amount of players that much. I mean the patch that we got today didnt bring in any extra players.

I hope I am wrong, but if there was a huge interest in this game there would have at least been a spike in the number of people playing it tonight to test out the new patch, and for those that couldnt play it before due to gamespy issues. Even if Grin does eventually manage to get everything right, there will never be enough players for it to carry this game for more than a year. This game is nearly a month old, still yet, there is only about 28 servers online right now. Only 5 of those servers have players in them. That is an incredibly small amount for a new game. Even if there was 3,000 GR players right now holding out on purchasing\playing GR:AW. When the patch is released, and 90% of them get the game and start playing. That's still a ridiculously small number.

My point is, in one months time of release we have on average 100 players online. It would be almost unheard of for a patch to change those numbers by a far amount. The patch tonight proved that by not even spiking those numbers even by a small amount. :(

Edited by VeLocityChaos

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fear this game will never have a big enough community to ever make this game popular enough for longevity. Everytime I load the MP browser there is always only about 150 players or less playing(106 right now). I realize that when the MP patch comes out that this number will increase some. But, in all honesty have you ever seen a game patch increase the amount of players that much. I mean the patch that we got today didnt bring in any extra players.

I hope I am wrong, but if there was a huge interest in this game there would have at least been a spike in the number of people playing it tonight to test out the new patch, and for those that couldnt play it before due to gamespy issues. Even if Grin does eventually manage to get everything right, there will never be enough players for it to carry this game for more than a year. This game is nearly a month old, still yet, there is only about 28 servers online right now. Only 5 of those servers have players in them. That is an incredibly small amount for a new game. Even if there was 3,000 GR players right now holding out on purchasing\playing GR:AW. When the patch is released, and 90% of them get the game and start playing. That's still a ridiculously small number.

My point is, in one months time of release we have on average 100 players online. It would be almost unheard of for a patch to change those numbers by a far amount. The patch tonight proved that by not even spiking those numbers even by a small amount. :(

That depends from what perspective you're speaking from. I can't stand DOM, i try to get setup somewhere on a map cause i know peeps frequent that spot and some gun bunny lays me out on my ass :rofl: . but i think alot of peeps are using retlock or a funny thing that happened today, i was coming around this corner and this bloke does the slide from my right to left and he shoots me in mid slide...I'm thinking there might be serious lag or this guy has a cheat on or something. :huh:

How do I explain to Verizon that the QOS of my 1MB DSL sucks monkey lard? I think I could 've had a decent connection. but I'm pinning my hopes of Verizon's Fios.

Edited by Papa6

Why arent more people playing online?

No one bought the game or they bought it and cant get good frame rates?

This is just my opinion, but I think it's the lack of server files and anti-cheat.

Most MP players moved on to other games, after all it's been 5 years, in order to pull them players back you'll need to offer them something. No server files and/or anti-cheat is not a good offer.

I'd be interested to see some stats about the online growth of [GR] in it's first 3 months if anyone knows where to get them.

I'd say that cheating is the biggest threat to the MP sucess of GRAW. If cheat scripts etc are rampant and hard to detect in tdm then it will eventually drive even dedicated players away.

I'd be interested to see some stats about the online growth of [GR] in it's first 3 months if anyone knows where to get them.

If you plan on comparing the two GR vs GRAW you can't, times have changed to much, thanks to broadband.

Edited by Pulaski

Cheats were there on [GR] as well. Retlock, laying down on known inclines, I also heard about a speed hack for running. but all games have cheaters, they suck and I DO NOT LIKE THEM.

But the problems we have here aside from the graphics and gameplay style is not unlike [GR].

i was coming around this corner and this bloke does the slide from my right to left and he shoots me in mid slide...I'm thinking there might be serious lag or this guy has a cheat on or something.

It's possible to do that in s/p. You know in the demo mission where you come across the .50 emplacement in the middle of that big square? If you flank all the way left there's a guy at the end of the street in a sandbag pit. I ran to cross the street, did the slide and popped a nade off at him. I smacked the wall behind him and stood back up to get cover behind the wall in case I missed. I also got to the point where I could slide and shoot.

I think that maybe GRIN should disable being able to shoot while still sliding. It's kinda along the lines of the bunnyhop exploit in other games.

As was said...how many people were flocking to online MP right after the original release.

Ghost Recon was still finding a following even after GR 2 was cancelled.

My clan got a buddy involved December of 2004.....and like most...he was so hooked...we could not find enough time to play....and he went out and bought a $2000 new PC a month before GRAW was even released.

give it time

HACK

I definatley see this game as a late bloomer. The initial attraction to the game is mostly the old school people, later as the game is patched and modded the community will grow like all others by word of mouth.

When [GR] came out I did not like it very much, but after an expansion pack and some patching I heard it was the hot game out so I picked it back up again, and never regreted it. Im hoping the same goes with this game as well.

Just like GR1 and UBI... once all seeing eye and direct ip come out i see over 500 peeps in game. gamespy is holding it back currently.

It's possible to do that in s/p. You know in the demo mission where you come across the .50 emplacement in the middle of that big square? If you flank all the way left there's a guy at the end of the street in a sandbag pit. I ran to cross the street, did the slide and popped a nade off at him. I smacked the wall behind him and stood back up to get cover behind the wall in case I missed. I also got to the point where I could slide and shoot.

I think that maybe GRIN should disable being able to shoot while still sliding. It's kinda along the lines of the bunnyhop exploit in other games.

Truthfully i have not seen anyone able to exploit it effectively. The only time it works well when shooting is if you are straight on with the person or at the end of your slide when your slowing down. I have missed because of sliding to fast or far. Also one time i slid for a tire to hide behind as i was in the open and i bumped it and watched it roll away leaving me with no cover lol!

Edited by ROCOAFZ

Why arent more people playing online?

cus MP hasnt even begun - no dedicated servers, no anti cheat, no decent MP modes, a massive 5, yes thats right 5, maps of which 2 are utter dire for online play... :nono:

even with this almighty june patch there will never be as much people playing it as there would have been from the start if the basics for MP were there from the beginning...

a funny thing that happened today, i was coming around this corner and this bloke does the slide from my right to left and he shoots me in mid slide...I'm thinking there might be serious lag or this guy has a cheat on or something. :huh:

No, no cheat. If you are running, and hit the spacebar to slide, you can fire IMMEDIATELY. Try it. Run, hold down your fire button, and hit the space bar -- your weapon will fire instantly as you start sliding, as if the space bar was the trigger.

When Desmond spoke to us a while back about not being able to fire while running, I was at first put off by it, arguing that if I ran around a corner and someone was there, I would like to be able to fire to at least have a shot at not getting whacked. Desmond explained on a number of different levels why they designed the game so that you couldn't fire while running (the least of which being that no one should be running around corners to begin with) and I bought into it after his explanations.

However, the game is here, and I can run around a corner and fire immediately, I just have to slide to do it. Try it. It's not a hack.

I have the game but refuse to play this game online tilll they release the dedi server files for this game ...

Also alot of my clan members refuse to even buy this game untill they have released the server files because of what Ubi did to Lockdown

Seems to me that alot of these problems with lack of players is down to the fact the Ubi have shafted customers to often and are in the postion of "once bitten twice shy"

:g_withgrin: I don't really care whether or not we have a community as long as the game is fun. Maybe a community would help but once we get the mp patch maybe GRIN can request IGN to re-review the game and make more interest I dunno...Although I do know people they are buying it once the June patch comes out.

velocity: You wouldn't of happened to be in any bf2 clans in the past year would you? :whistle:

:g_withgrin: I don't really care whether or not we have a community as long as the game is fun. Maybe a community would help but once we get the mp patch maybe GRIN can request IGN to re-review the game and make more interest I dunno...Although I do know people they are buying it once the June patch comes out.

velocity: You wouldn't of happened to be in any bf2 clans in the past year would you? :whistle:

I personally care whether there is a community or not. A strong supportive community will bring out the modders. New maps for M/P, and new missions etc... for S/P.

I think the lack of popularity of GRAW is actualy intended by Ubisoft.

The game is a good game but it is clear that it still in developpement, and the june patch is an exemple or that.

The fact that the game was realese some week ago in probably the less buying part of the year where people think more of going on vacation then buying game, give Ubisoft and Grin the time to actualy fix all the issue, pointed arround this forum as an exemple, and get feedback for every modification they do to the game during the summer.

It is clear that most hardcore Ghost recon gamer will still play the game during most of the summer and complain about many issu, and i think that's what they actualy want.

This will allow them to improve the game into a great game taking all sugestion you will gave them into consideration.

So when in septembre, people will get back from vacation, will get back to work, will need games to make them forget how boring the work they do is. Well you will see an increase in number of player and GRAW will be a more complet game, thank to all feedback from the hardcore Ghost Recon community.

I think by the end of the summer we will have the game that we want, and the community will grow, and most people will have anyway no choice to buy the hardware necessary to play this game since all other games arround will need that kind of hardware.

And then, probably arround december, or january, maybe latter, they will come out with an expension. (why so fast? well all modeling, sripting, texturing, AI, are already done).

They will then sell the original GRAW and the expension togeter, this will attract more and more people

So thats my theory :shifty:

And then, probably arround december, or january, maybe latter, they will come out with an expension. (why so fast? well all modeling, sripting, texturing, AI, are already done).

I agree, My prediction is something similar. Sometime around >>>Christmas season<<<, we will see something along the lines of "GRAW Ultimate", which is basically the full game with all MP modes, new maps in the form if a mini-expansion pack, and the expanded Co-op modes bundled into a comprehensive package with the full marketing blitz. This will probably correspond with the release of the 8000 series Nvidia cards and ATI equivalent that can handle DL/AA. If this is the case, hopefully those that bought the original get the upgrade for free.

If your cup is half full, we get to play now and don't have to wait.

If your cup is half empty, we are all paying to be beta testers.

Edited by bhh_

wow..you guys really spend alot of time thinking about this... :)

You would be amazed at how much time some people here spend thinking about stuff.

For a lot of them this is the game. GR is still a great team-based game. That's what we look for.