GR.net GRAW PC Preview

Thanks guys, best preview by far :thumbsup:

Just 2 questions.

-Was HDR off in the build u played?

Yes it was.

-What about sounds effects....heli, guns, ambient, voices....?

I was really impressed by the sounds.

At home I use a head set only so being to hear sounds from all over the room was amazing, in fact couple days later I bought some new speakers. :)

On a street scene`s you feel you are in the street it sounds that good.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:coolspeak:

Many thanks to Colin and Zero Alpha! Good work (no screens btw?)!

Now I can't read any further preview anymore, it'd be just annoying cause almost every sentence hypes the game a little more and I am getting too excited about it.

Just release a demo (SP, MP, both - whatever), release the game in May, and finally we all can eat the dust from the streets of Mexico City!

:tumbleweed:

Read the review ( -- LOL --) and it was fantastic...

My only regret is that because we are now getting closer to the actual release date, reviews like this just make me MORE impatient for the game itself!

...It DOESN'T make me feel any better that YOU guys have had a play and we haven't! LOL

That said - good review, you concentrated on the important stuff we wanted to know - EXCEPT...

The now almost CONSPIRATIONAL lack of info about the multi-player modes and formats!

This is doing my napper in! LMAO

-- We all know that this is 'where it's at' really, SP is just 'training' for MP. --

A little knowledge about the COOP mode as well would be good - but I realize that your hands are tied and you cannot report on what you haven't seen.

So fingers crossed that coop fans of GR1 will not be disappointed!

:)

( -- I am playing BF2 at the moment to 'fill in' unitil GR:AW comes out, and believe me when I say that BF2s complete lack of coop play against a 'mission' senario is a fatal flaw in that game (as is teh so-called 'single player' part of BF2). SO GR:AW cannot come soon enough for me! --)

Edited by mcbeaty

Great preview guys. Thanks a lot Zero Alpha and Colin. :thumbsup:

You know -- I am very excited about the game but the part that interests me the most is that --- none of the previewers have been able to discover any major weakness in the game. I have never seen that happen before. That to me is the best part and biggest achievement from Grin. All the aspects of the GR series seem to have been improved upon.

You played the game on which difficulty setting and is the superhardcore setting present ? Thank you.

Sheldon_AS and I can't be the only ones here who are concerned about the  co-op mode?

Absolutely not mate!

As I have said before - I am playing BF2 while I wait for GR:AW and I DESPERATELY miss proper mission based COOP.

Multiplayer teamplaye might come close but it is still a competitive game - COOP is teamplay for teh purest.

There are no egos in COOP, we all have to do our jobs to get the team win.

My fingers are crossed for a COOP mode as good as GR1....Or better!

Great preview guys. Thanks a lot Zero Alpha and Colin.  :thumbsup:

You know -- I am very excited about the game but the part that interests me the most is that --- none of the previewers have been able to discover any major weakness in the game. I have never seen that happen before. That to me is the best part and biggest achievement from Grin. All the aspects of the GR series seem to have been improved upon.

You played the game on which difficulty setting and is the superhardcore setting present ? Thank you.

We played on the Easy level, but it was not easy.

CO-OP mode.

I have no worries on this part of the game.

They have spent, a lot of time on this and they know how important this is to us.

We will see new game types and many other things not seen before in CO-OP.

It is the one thing I am dying to try.

Great preview guys, thanks! Sounds like you had a really good time with this game.

I would love to hear more about the enemy and friendly AI! The preview had so little on this subject. Perhaps ZeroAlpha or colin could spill some more on this matter. Use of covers/preservations/use of grenades/understanding of the enviroment...I could go on! :yes::)

(on a sidenote; I dont mind the fact that you cant enter buildings and such on a larger scale, its just really not that important)

Edited by V.P.

Great preview guys, thanks! Sounds like you had a really good time with this game.

I would love to hear more about the enemy and friendly AI! The preview had so little on this subject. Perhaps ZeroAlpha or colin could spill some more on this matter. Use of covers/preservations/use of grenades/understanding of the enviroment...I could go on!  :yes::)

(on a sidenote; I dont mind the fact that you cant enter buildings and such on a larger scale, its just really not that important)

This AI information taken from HERE

Is very accurate on AI behavour.

They will kill you at any opertunity.

AI Information:

GRAW features stealth and tactics. There will be no AI spawn hell.

Number of AI up to 20 against you and your ghosts, plus there are vehicles, both in the air and on ground.

AI will employ tactics.

This is Ghost Recon, remember? When we say “tactical shooter†we really mean it.

There are several layers of thinking for the AI.

The AI is tailor made to the game. The AI we created for GRAW is built from scratch and it is a very dynamic AI. It will respond to the environment, and actions by the enemy.

They will actively move from cover to cover when advancing to an objective and, with waypoints, will advance to the place in the stealthiest way possible.

The enemy AI will notice if they are under fire. There are three levels of AI awareness: individual, squad, and what we call mastermind that can control several squads for flanking maneuvers against the Ghosts.

The first AI layer is the individual one.

The AI will be self-preserving, which basically means that the enemy or your team mates will always avoid putting themselves in a situation where they could get shot.

They won’t cross your line of fire while you are aiming, and they won’t stay uncovered for long. For instance if you destroy the cover of an enemy (by blowing up a car for instance), he will move away to find another place to hide.

Then we have the group AI.

Which coordinates the individual AI to work cooperatively. Before he moves, one enemy will not only check where you are but also where his team mates are. If he sees that one of them is giving cover, he will be more likely to make his move. When a group of AI arrives to an area where the danger can come from several directions they will all cover a different direction, which is what trained soldiers would do.

The last layer of AI.

Is the “strategic†one. In some areas you will be surrounded by several squads and another AI will take care of coordinating them. Some groups will try to flank you while others will try to pin you down.

You will really need all the tactical tools at your disposal to try to get your team out of such a messy situation.

We have a difficulty setting that allows you to raise the difficulty level to your preference.

We are even thinking of implementing some super-hardcore setting for the pain lovers out there.

Colin

Hmm, are the diamonds "turnoffable" (:P) in all game modes?

Or can you untick that box in the settings menu and have them gone no matter which difficulty you're playing at...?

Bo/

Markers can be turned off - even in SP

AND in MP there are NO markers on the enemy - EVER.

I would love to hear more about the enemy and friendly AI! The preview had so little on this subject. Perhaps ZeroAlpha or colin could spill some more on this matter. Use of covers/preservations/use of grenades/understanding of the enviroment...I could go on!  :yes::)

AI Information:

Number of AI up to 20 against you and your ghosts, plus there are vehicles, both in the air and on ground.

AI will employ tactics.

The AI is tailor made to the game. The AI we created for GRAW is built from scratch and it is a very dynamic AI. It will respond to the environment, and actions by the enemy.

They will actively move from cover to cover when advancing to an objective and, with waypoints, will advance to the place in the stealthiest way possible.

The enemy AI will notice if they are under fire. There are three levels of AI awareness: individual, squad, and what we call mastermind that can control several squads for flanking maneuvers against the Ghosts.

The AI will be self-preserving, which basically means that the enemy or your team mates will always avoid putting themselves in a situation where they could get shot.

They won’t cross your line of fire while you are aiming, and they won’t stay uncovered for long. For instance if you destroy the cover of an enemy (by blowing up a car for instance), he will move away to find another place to hide.

Which coordinates the individual AI to work cooperatively. Before he moves, one enemy will not only check where you are but also where his team mates are. If he sees that one of them is giving cover, he will be more likely to make his move. When a group of AI arrives to an area where the danger can come from several directions they will all cover a different direction, which is what trained soldiers would do.

The last layer of AI.

Is the “strategic†one. In some areas you will be surrounded by several squads and another AI will take care of coordinating them. Some groups will try to flank you while others will try to pin you down.

You will really need all the tactical tools at your disposal to try to get your team out of such a messy situation.

We have a difficulty setting that allows you to raise the difficulty level to your preference.

We are even thinking of implementing some super-hardcore setting for the pain lovers out there.

Colin

I am well aware of the faq-sheet colin. What I was asking for was YOUR PERSONAL experience with the GRAW AI. A more in-dept insight to the AI, based on your time with this game.

*sigh*

The "best" thing with forums is the way three little words create an avalanche of screams and rants. From cool to crap in ten seconds flat.

I guess that's why Bo spent most of the evening answering questions when the trailer was released.

A couple of things I think it's well worth to remember is that:

1. We're gamers too, and proud of it - so we're gonna work damn hard to release a game that will blow your mind and challenge your concept of gaming.

2. Techincal aspects is of course ALWAYS an issue in faking reality - but convincing illusions is basically the main issue with game development.

3. We're doing this for you guys, really, so just remember that. Making a game is always about the fans - because your visions and hopes is what we will have to live up to (reach and pass...)

Also...

I do hope you realise the difference in MP and COOP?

We aim for a realistic, immersive and fun COOP-game, no run-and-gun all-out battle.

Tactics people - as ghostrecon should be all about!

It's a special feeling moving up a hill - slowly - knowing you don't have an army of your teammates behind you, but only a couple of other guys, each one relying on you with their life.

(A life which can be over in a heartbeat, when you hear the sniper shot from behind.)

And I also hope you all take the time to sit down and listen when you play - cause one of the best ways to survive is to go by sound.

Thanks for the word people

but please think before you write.

And, some thing that should've been first I guess:

Thanks Zero Alpha and Colin for a really good (p)review - hats off for you.

It's always fun to hear from someone having played the game outside this office - and it will be so sweet when everybody who wants to play, can.

Over and out.

AI Information:

AI will employ tactics.

The last layer of AI.

Colin

I am well aware of the faq-sheet colin. What I was asking for was YOUR PERSONAL experience with the GRAW AI. A more in-dept insight to the AI, based on your time with this game.

When I was seen the AI took cover.

Whilst planning my next move on the TAC Map, 2 of his mates flanked me and I was dead again.

In GR1 one you have a fair bit of time to plan before and during a mission, in GRAW you can plan before but the AI dictate somtimes your next move.

You really have to think on your feet, they are that good.

I managed a couple of times to nail a couple of AI this because I used my Team to distract him whilst I went around behind, to kill these guys you have to plan, and react on your feet, a lot.

I hope that gives you some idea.

And the level was on Easy.

I would imaging once you have the game in your hands it will take a good while to get to grips with the AI, on an equal footing.

Colin

Thanks for answering my questions Colin! :)

I´ve had another one regarding performance and specs of the rig you were playing on (what res, how "smooth" were the framerates, 25ish, or more 50-60ish, was it a normal 6800 or a 6800Ultra, 1GB). I know most of this would be heavy guessing from your side, plus you didn´t have the final/retail code, so just ignore it Colin. ;) But thanks again! :thumbsup:

Silencer (good for reducing sound but also reducing the in game flash (which is a real-time light mind you), it reduces accuracy a bit too.

Couldn't you please have balanced the sd a bit more realistically? I mean, sd's can raise accuracy and reduce recoil on rifles, so why can't the downside be added weight and less stability while moving instead?

All sound stikety-boo to me, im in, especialy after the Starforce news :D

My future thinkings ...

An expansion pack with mixed urban MP & Forrest style GR1 Maps (pretty please), introduction of Bonoculars (for abvious reasons) .. Working door areas in the Urban maps (or modders just kane a load of MP maps full of doors) ... testing madness to open up them COOP slots and see what it plays like ... (a code patch & update in expansion to help the slot area??) .... Modders slap in a few civvies on custom maps.

A modder get the prize who manages to unlock and mod a flashbang!

Either way this was a great report and a good insight, a play on demo to test this on my rig (GULP) ... then im set.

I have a feeling that anything we will miss to some degree from GR1 Im thinking after people have got there hands on it and a few months pass & modders get jiggy with the tools, slow but sure it will end up having those missings things worked in, plus expansions.

*sigh*

The "best" thing with forums is the way three little words create an avalanche of screams and rants. From cool to crap in ten seconds flat.

I guess that's why Bo spent most of the evening answering questions when the trailer was released.

A couple of things I think it's well worth to remember is that:

1. We're gamers too, and proud of it - so we're gonna work damn hard to release a game that will blow your mind and challenge your concept of gaming.

2. Techincal aspects is of course ALWAYS an issue in faking reality - but convincing illusions is basically the main issue with game development.

3. We're doing this for you guys, really, so just remember that. Making a game is always about the fans - because your visions and hopes is what we will have to live up to (reach and pass...)

Also...

I do hope you realise the difference in MP and COOP?

We aim for a realistic, immersive and fun COOP-game, no run-and-gun all-out battle.

Tactics people - as ghostrecon should be all about!

It's a special feeling moving up a hill - slowly - knowing you don't have an army of your teammates behind you, but only a couple of other guys, each one relying on you with their life.

(A life which can be over in a heartbeat, when you hear the sniper shot from behind.)

And I also hope you all take the time to sit down and listen when you play - cause one of the best ways to survive is to go by sound.

Thanks for the word people

but please think before you write.

And, some thing that should've been first I guess:

Thanks Zero Alpha and Colin for a really good (p)review - hats off for you.

It's always fun to hear from someone having played the game outside this office - and it will be so sweet when everybody who wants to play, can.

Over and out.

GRIN, I think its more a case of a big thanks from us, I am sure you have given me a game that will do the same as GR 1, allow me to uninstall the RS and move on up to a higher level. :yes:

thanks everyone else for there positive comments.

just a thought though......

Remember when Ghost recon first came out? Not the screen shots etc but the game its self.

How long did it take for us, as a community within these very forums, to get a handle on many aspects of the game? :wacko:

Between us Colin and I had probably less than an hour of hands on, we spent most of our time watching and talking. We where both mindful of the purpose of our visit. We knew that we were there as representatives of the playing community in all its guises.

Bo was absolutely fantastic in his openness with us, however he was obviously under certain constraints as to what he could and could not say and do (even if he bent the rules a bit). :ph34r:

Between what we saw and what we where told we have gathered a good overall first impression of the game and a great game it is!

However, and here I am beginning to understand UBI a bit more, what I have soon discovered is how quickly facts get distorted in these threads, “might be†becomes “will beâ€, “I’m not sure†becomes “evasiveâ€.

Some of the statements of “fact†that certain individuals seem to like to throw around amaze me, in fact we could have saved the expense and trouble of a visit and invited certain individuals to just make the report up on our behalf!

Lets all just do three simple things:

1. Take a moment to reflect on how lucky we as a community have been to have the Grin team do such a great job and be so open with us in the process.

2. If you like the sound of the game, buy it when it comes out and be a proactive member of the community as we all start to learn the hidden depths of this great game.

3. If you don’t like the sound of the game now, wait and see what the majority think when it comes out.

If Colin and I can give you factual info we will, if need be we will try going to a higher source BUT we are aware of the tight schedule that they are working to.

From Colin Aswell. :)

Thanks again for the positive feed back, cant wait to get this game on my hard drive! :thumbsup:

Edited by Colin

Sounds great!

Great review guys, and thanks for the in-depth LENGTHY (lol) preview.

And since it was on medium settings on a 6800GT/Ultra (whichever)... I wonder if it will run on high settings with an Ageia card and my x1900XTX that I just ordered (not the Ageia card of course, YET)?

I read somewhere that it won't run on current hardware, on max settings?

But if it ran on medium (probably pretty smooth for a demonstration), on a 6800 series card, then why wouldn't it run on high/max on an x1900XTX?

No game out there has been able to challenge the x1900XTX or the 7900GTX.

Makes me wonder... :P

Got the x1900XTX and X-Fi soundcard just in time for GR:AW.

I should be experiencing one of the best times in my gaming history with GR:AW! And I trust that GRIN won't let us down!

Keep up the good work guys! You have my $50. :D:party::notworthy:

Edited by SillyHalfMexican

Sounds great!

Great review guys, and thanks for the in-depth LENGTHY (lol) preview.

And since it was on medium settings on a 6800GT/Ultra (whichever)... I wonder if it will run on high settings with an Ageia card and my x1900XTX that I just ordered (not the Ageia card of course, YET)?

I read somewhere that it won't run on current hardware, on max settings?

But if it ran on medium (probably pretty smooth for a demonstration), on a 6800 series card, then why wouldn't it run on high/max on an x1900XTX?

No game out there has been able to challenge the x1900XTX or the 7900GTX.

Makes me wonder... :P

Got the x1900XTX and X-Fi soundcard just in time for GR:AW.

I should be experiencing one of the best times in my gaming history with GR:AW!  And I trust that GRIN won't let us down!

Keep up the good work guys!  You have my $50.  :D:party:  :notworthy:

Hey SillyHalfMexican, did you use to be in SyN in BF2?