Omega's first mod

mordred

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The advantage with a composite material is, is that you can use a very detailed texture to make the general structure of your ground but at the same time be able to make it diverse with colour and make your detail-texture look more non-repeating.

If you have to fill a large area and would use just one texture, it would either be very detailed but repetative, the texture would become too big to handle for any graphics-card or it would stretch out too much, creating no detail at all.

To combine this, you have to use a composite material wich combines two textures.

One texture is used as the structure of the ground (grass, sand, water, snow) which is called the detail-texture. This is the texture that is going to be repeated several times over.

The second that is used is called the base-texture and determines what colour your detail -texture will be. This is a texture that is only going to be repeated once and covers the entire area.

The base-texture is then overlayed by the game-engine onto the detail-texture "colouring" the detailtexture.

So on one area you can have a grasstexture look darkgreen and on a different area of the map, lightgreen.

I didn't feel like making someting up in PhotoShop, so I just drew it on paper to illustrate.

Hopefully this explains it:

composite_texture.JPG

For a composite material to work in GR, you need to assign 2 UVW's to the groundgeometry: one on channel 1 and one on channel 2.

Each channel needs to be set in the material-editor aswell and uses the texture assigned to it.

Edited by |rsi|â„¢deleyt

Thats a very good illustration of the concept of a detailed texture above.

These two are multiplied together in the lighting tool for the final map which creates your darkmaps and has the shadows integrated right into the texture.

There are some pretty good pictures in max of how it is set up right here.

Dr. J's video walks you right through the process which is a little better than my images. To get rid of the stretch on the cliff faces use the unwrap uv modifier.

Here is an excellent tutorial to show you how to use it.

so the base map, which will be basically green with some ark and lighter areas is uppose , must not be tiled, so its put on the ground level once..........that will make it a 2mb rsb file orso.........or doesnt it have to be detailed at all, just big areas??

whats a good size for it? 512x512 ?

greetings

the little time free now, new dad : -Mordred-

so the base map, which will be basically green with some ark and lighter areas is uppose , must not be tiled, so its put on the ground level once..........that will make it a 2mb rsb file orso.........or doesnt it have to be detailed at all, just big areas??

whats a good size for it? 512x512 ?

greetings

the little time free now, new dad : -Mordred-

Correct.

The basemap can use any colour you like (doesn't have to be just green) but is overlayed on the entire map and isn't tiled. Normally a 512x512 pixelsize texture does the job nicely.

Remember that you preferably want to keep your texturesize as low as possible, to prevent cluttering your graphics-card with large textures and losing performance.

The detail-texture is tiled. This one is 512x512 pixels aswell usually (all depending on how much detail you need)

A good tip: convert your detail-texture into grayscale rather then the exact colour you want it to be.

Then let the basemap determine your colour.

• 2 months later...

:wacko: sorry for the long wait guys, but the map is ready , I'm still w8ting on a mission.

The release will be end next week !! :devil::devil::devil:

It will include:

* new map

* 2 missions on that map (also FF +recon available)

* several other missions done by members of the omega team.

(on existing gr maps)

:rofl: cu when u download :rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

K guys the moment is almost there,

the mod is gonna be uploaded any day now

7 missions past the test

1 to go :rocky:

Than grnet is gonna be 'hit' with the download

readme...

-------------------

Goodday Gentlemen,

-------------------

Omega operations is proud to present its first little modification for gr1.

includes:

* brand new map (made by mordred)

* brand new missions (by Raven, by Kamst & Equ][noX )

* option to go recon and firefight

I wanna say thank u to all three of the mission scripters as they putted a lot of effort and time

into making these fine missions for u guys....etc...

So expect the release WEDNESDAY OR THURSDAY !!!!!!

:santa: -M- :santa:

I get a ctd on selecting the mission 004- Codename: Kobe mission as well.

It appears to be caused by the wrong type of briefing images.

If you substitute

<BriefingCycleImage>ravineshots.rsb</BriefingCycleImage>

<BriefingImage>ravineshots.rsb</BriefingImage>

for some default ones it will run fine.

<_< i just checked this tuff, i got no ctd here.........

Reason :

the mod is made for MP only.........guess i missed typing that in th readme.

Since we r a coop clan, we never intended on releasing Sp mode.

suggested gametype:

MP : 7-9 players

Respawn : 0 !!!

arcade : off (what do u think !!! :D )

The missions are made with 0respawn in mind, so u loose a lot of features when u DO use respawn, the suprises may be gone, cause you're not suppose to start from the insertion zone more than once.

And dont bother trying, u wont make it with only 4-5 players ;) , but be my guest :P

hope this solves your CTD's gentlemens.

(readmefile is gonna be updated...)

post on gr net :whistle:

It's a 56k friendly 5Mb download and features 8 new multiplayer missions

(if u wanna play it SP, open a MP game and enjoy !)

Edited by mordred

• 1 month later...

Great map. I have one problem, Three of us are playing and we clear out everything in "Boom" up to and including the underground parking. When we get to the top or around the building one of the team(same guy) see's an enemy in the middle of the intersection and when he shoots him, my computer crashes killing the game. Nobody else see's this guy except the same team member. Once he shot at a guy nobody could see on the embassy and boom, computer crashed, then tonight it happend twice. Any ideas ? Thanks ( Awesome map though ! )