Live Action Promo Released

Rocky

And you guys!!!! Lets give the new Ghost Recon a chance, even a small one from everyone whose so ###### off with the series now days. I share the same feelings about GR, but I am actually finally going to give it a fresh chance.

I guess I fall into the cynical category, but I see nothing so far to change my mind that this will be a unsupported, DRM screwed, bug ridden pile of steaming you know what. Now I know the live action trailer is not real game play, but with the way Ubi has taken this series amongst others, does not give me a good feeling about this (see the more arcade style of gameplay for SHV if you really want to see what I am talking about). Maybe if Ubi removed the Tom Clancy and Ghost Recon names, I could see it a bit differently, but until then, I doubt I will.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could care less about being right...I'm more interested in promoting the game and generating a little buzz for it. It's got some stiff competition and a lot of very doubtful seasoned veterans around here, it needs all the help it can get.

It does indeed have some stiff competition though, especially with COD, MOH, and Reach coming out this year.

Edited by AlienShogun

Hawkeye - GRFS isn't set too far into the future. Hopefully soon we'll clarify exact time period.

Papa - In game footage will definitely come in due time. We've still got a little less than a year to get this thing to the point where we're proud to show it off as in-game and not just a WIP.

Hawkeye - GRFS isn't set too far into the future. Hopefully soon we'll clarify exact time period.

Papa - In game footage will definitely come in due time. We've still got a little less than a year to get this thing to the point where we're proud to show it off as in-game and not just a WIP.

Wasn't it announced as 10 years after GR: AW 2?

Less than 8 months to release too. :thumbsup:

I'm sure we can expect to see the game in action at E3.

It does indeed have some stiff competition though, especially with COD, MOH, and Reach coming out this year.

I just have figured out what is going on with the GR series. HALO, I am almost positive that this is what has happened. HALO has trumped in sales, so there you have it money prevails. The only thing is they are not going to compete with that, they are going to try though. In this process have totally gotten away from RECON, stealth, and real military tactics. Sux gettin older, I just hate kiddie console games that you shelf in a day or so.

we all must accept the fact we will never get our Ghost Recon back

This.

Personally, I completely fell off the GR train after the original. This one actually looks interesting IMHO, assuming the complete game captures the overall "feel" of the live-action trailer *and* manages to provide solid, entertaining and polished gameplay. (Unlike GRAW which I only remember as highly unpolished and not very entertaining.)

As long as it has the gameplay of a traditional "Tactical Shooter" (basically 1-3 hit kills and no bunny-hopping), I'm in for the ride. I've always been a fan of futuristic stuff anyhow and CoD: Modern Warfare 2 is quite good enough to satisfy my needs for "entertainingly realistic" multiplayer combat. At least a center mass hit with a sniper rifle is a one-shot kill in the game, unlike BF2142 which otherwise felt so very promising for me, but disappointed massively.

As for UbiSoft, remind me of other large publishers such as Activision and EA. Incidentally, those two receive an equal amount of flak from fans because of controversial design decisions or poorly implemented systems. Lack of dedicated servers for the PC version of Modern Warfare 2 and "connectivity issues" in BF: Bad Company 2 spring to mind.

Still, they're all very much successful in terms of sales and game popularity - which indicates that they all have the ability to see what sells. Assuming that UbiSoft are in fact trying to steer the GR franchise towards the Halo games like someone suggested.. That wouldn't be a bad decision from a money-making standpoint considering the massive success of the Halo series. Even Modern Warfare 2 (and, to a lesser extent, MW1) "borrowed" quite a few design elements from the Halo games in regards to multiplayer, and MW2 is one of the absolutely most popular online shooters at the moment.

Honestly, I find it refreshing to finally see a semi-realistic shooter that's not in a contemporary setting or - even worse - the oh-so-dead horse known as WW2.

Oh and, hi everyone! :D

In regard to the "new look."

The army has said it realizes the "gamer" soldiers are the future and wish to have unmanned equipment reflect that.

They did say that they want the "controls" for this equipment to reflect modern console controllers.

I'm sure the drone being controlled by the soldier reflecting a console controller is intentional.

After seeing this promo I'm definitely out. Don't like were this GR is going.

I was hoping for a new GR in the lines of the old GR1. GRAW 1 and 2 weren't bad, but I like the more open landscapes of GR1.

But what is this gear in GRFS all about? "This is how the soldier possibly looks in the future", yeah, the FAR future! I don't want to play with 2100 "may be" gear. Shoulder mounted guided tankbusting mini-missiles? Cloaking? The drones are sure to come in the near future, but why do the Ghosts need them?

Just put an army of drones out there and let the Ghosts stay home with their gamepads, controlling those robots on the battlefield. No casualties...

Will the next promo feature laserguns and lightsabres and is the name of the future Ghosts revealed: The Jedi Predators?

Why can't we just get a squadbased, realistic Ghost Recon once again? Without the sci-fi crap and robot-sidekicks.

Edited by Limbids

I got my game guru son to look at the promo video today. He was very impressed with what he saw and thinks that the game will have great potential. The only question he had was whether my computer could handle it without another upgrade. He also would like to see another promo video using something other than live action, to see how the graphics would actually be.

Ghost Recon as we knew it is now a thing of the past. I'll miss being able to control a squad like in the original game, but I guess that the future is now and most of the newer games will have a futuristic bent to it.

My son liked the cloaking devise concept. It's not something he was aware of being worked on by our military. He was also impressed by the use of the drone used by the enemy. He was wondering why the sniper did a stomach shot on the target, at least that's the impression he got from the angle of the camera.

The general thought on this game was to see how it comes out and then go from there.

Of course, that stands to reason. Being military myself, my son is not, I should have realized that, but I was not infantry, but artillery. We fire a bigger bullet. The heaviest small arms weapon I ever fired was the M16. I did get the opportunity to shoot blanks through the M60 while in advanced NCO training. We non infantry type called it the 60 cal, even though that's not the caliber.

:lol:

Yeah, I WAS infantry. I was up for E6 promotion when I left. Spent 27 months in Iraq 2003 and 2006. Saw plenty of action.

Thank you for your service. I find it funny yall called it the "60cal."

"Thems smoking words!" haha. I've fired from 9mm all the way up to a Javalin. I love me some good ol life ending projectiles.

:lol:

Yeah, I WAS infantry. I was up for E6 promotion when I left. Spent 27 months in Iraq 2003 and 2006. Saw plenty of action.

Thank you for your service. I find it funny yall called it the "60cal."

"Thems smoking words!" haha. I've fired from 9mm all the way up to a Javalin. I love me some good ol life ending projectiles.

The time I served was from 1976 and finished up in 1984. A year in Korea and three years in Germany, plus a stint in Lousiana and Colorado were the closest I got to a war but we trained for it. It wasn't long after I got out that the Berlin Wall fell along with the USSR.

I never played with the goodies that you grunt type got to play with. To me and my artillery buddies they were nothing more than names being bandied about. Playing Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six was as close to any battles that I got into. Loved the original game of Ghost Recon and all it's add on's. It made up for my lack of infantry training and I felt like the game gave some realizum that I could only imagine. I did not have that feel with GRAW, but I did enjoy playing with the new weapons. I guess time will tell as to what weapons will be featured in the new game.

Well for me GR died ever since GRAW onwards, I found ARMA/ARMA2 and that sim alone covers everything I wanted in terms of what GR gave (plus in ARMA2 I can make missions quick as I want to mimick SF units etc).

Anyway without getting slammed for mentioning Arma ... I agree with a lot here that its dead. So knowing this and knowing I have Arma to take care of things .. I looked at this like "some game retaining the name" ... and looking from that perspective this particular rendition actually interested me oddly enough. Heres a military game of pure future on my pc to mess with along side what else I have.

So for me Im going to see what exactly this pans out to be ... has it just entered COD/BF arena as just another "one of them" or will it retain what GR had (in terms of originality and stealth use) but in a completely different style and setting ... time will tell I guess. I will try to cut the cord on any link to GR1as to be honest its so far from that now trying to match the two or expect similar is never going to happen, treat it like something new and unrelated and then see what happens.

I like it is going to have a Russian angle to it.

May be a great game but will wait and see.

@Hawkeye,

I spent 13 months at Camp Casey, Korea with the 2ID, 71-72 :thumbsup:

Too bad UBI doesn't have the game location in SE Asia. Korea is, and has been a trouble spot in the world, where as Russia is only a pain in the ..... toe nail.

wombat, I was there from 78-79 and assigned to the WSD at Camp Long. I was the go between NCO with the FROKA units in the area. We were the only unit there in country that was allowed to wear our name tag with yellow letters and the words both in English and Korean sewed on it. Neat times. Miss them.