How to NOT die straight away?~!

ZONE

Just bought Ghost Recon 1. I know it is old but for $10 I'm not complaining. Well, not complaining until I try to play the thing.

What the Hell?

Am I doing something wrong. I have it set to the easiest mode and after trudging what seems for ever along a hill and finally find some of the enemy I hardly get a chace to get a shot off and suddenly I am hit and dead!

What the? I have tried over and over. No warning, just one shot and I am dead. I tired of this very quickly and don't want to play. I have never experoenced this in a game before.

KRP and NoQuarter nailed it. But I've played the game for about six years, and am the polar opposite of a run n gunner; tactical gaming is my religion. And all piety aside I have to say the A.I. is ruthless to a slightly unrealistic level. Too accurate, and they seem to know your position too readily. I have however, tweaked all my original maps, missions, weapons, and A.I. as well as any mods I install, to make the game more realistic. I have done this to help account for not being able to use all your senses and having such limited field of view and situational awareness in general, as apposed to the A.I. who are entirely in their element, and can even see through soft cover, and things like that.

The last thing I want is to be able to skate thru a mission without the need for tactics, concealment, stealth and precision, so I have definately not modded the game any where near that effect. As far as I'm concerned what I now have is a game that facilitates a more true to life experience, not merely an "elite" level of dificulty.

The single weakest aspect of the game is room clearing. Forget anything you've learned, or trained in, or used in Swat4 and R6. It doesn't work in GR, lol. Clear rooms with frags, like the army does it. Or better yet, if you're playing co-op, see if your sniper has a shot on the room. One of th finest moments in the game is when you hear that m82 in the distance and three feet away from your position you hear THUMP, followed by "He's history".

Edited by doubletap

when I first tried to play GR I lasted about as long as you did first few tries....got frustrated and went back to trying MOH for crying out loud..then finally one day I got around to winning Stone Bell on Elite and figured I had arrived....keep playing and you'll see soon enough...all those missions are a ton of fun when you start to get the hang of it....try using bounding overlap as you move up along that wooded area....move a team up not too far, then move another up just a bit further as you cover for them...the sniper is the best team(solo) for me in the early part of mission one...you'll know you've begun to get it right when you start hearing team mates call out kills and you have no idea what just happened...differnece is, its your platoon that is handing out justice...remember that without silenced weapons and perhaps even then, there is always a likelyhood that the OPFOR wil react to any kills you make..don't make a habit of taking the shot then trying to move up, maybe scan all fields of fire first, maybe move another team forward as you and the third team(if you have that many) provide cover from two flanks or positions of advantage...

as far as damage taken, there is not much if any difference between easy and Elite with regards to that...it has more to do with how many enemies and what they are doing...or maybe how tough they are...if you take three in GR and are not dead you're lucky...I agree - in the end it is one of the things that makes the game great...

I remember being at a local Gamestop one day and having a pro player tell me he hated GR and gave it up early on because he did not like being killed by AI he could not see...oh well...

mig :ph34r:

Move slow from cover to cover. Do the bounding overwatch thing to be sure all approaches are protected while moving, and use you binocs a LOT.

Those first few groups of tangos are not real easy to spot, but they are not that hard either. Just be sure you and your team are well positioned when you do open fire so that you can take them down quickly and protect yourself. Much as the AI can drop you with one shot, you can do the same to them.

Not trying to be a jerk or anything here but I had to smile when I read your post.

I can't tell you how many times we all have either had this experiance or know someone who did. The many eveinings spent trying to figure out just what the h__ just happend and from where.

Like anything that is hard to accomplish this game takes a certain mindset that is far from any other game. You MUST check your surroundings twice, even three times or more before moving anywhere. You MUST plan each move carefully or you and your team is history.

You MUST check every corner, set up fields of fire and cover. And most of all take your time.

The main thing this game will teach you is patience and tactical awarness. How are you getting in, and how are you getting out.

I myself spent many many a day and night trying to figure out how to play without dying right away untill I learned two very important lessons. If you run into anywhere, a letter arrives from the DOD with news of your demise. If you move slow and with purpose and thought, you live to fight another day.

Remember the dead know only one thing ... It's better to be alive !

Thanks for all the replies. I have a renewed enthusiasm. I'll try again now that I know that it is possible.

It's hard to find a good games these days. I'll only play if I can find a good one.

Call of Duty was too easy and I finished with a week and a half. What a joke. Took me months to get through Duke Nukem years ago and Will Rock, but anyway, we're not here to talk about those.

Hopefully you have the Gold Edition which comes with DS and IT. Once you finish those you will have tons of mods to choose from, not to mention online play.

It seems as if there is a renewed interest in GR as a second person has stated he has just bought GR, at a conveinence store no less and has since orderd the Gold Edition. Welcome to the wonderful world of GR.

The single weakest aspect of the game is room clearing. Forget anything you've learned, or trained in, or used in Swat4 and R6. It doesn't work in GR, lol. Clear rooms with frags, like the army does it. Or better yet, if you're playing co-op, see if your sniper has a shot on the room.

Ditto on the room clearing. The best weapons for clearing rooms are rockets, grenades, claymores (if the door is shut and be careful of the backblast), grenade lauchers. A lot of times I'll walk around a building at a fair distance and pick off any I can through a window. The only firearms worthwhile for room entry are shotguns.

I'm having enough trouble getting through the first Level. I'm begginning to think my computer is running slow also making it harder to live and it seems a bit jerky when I try to move around. :-(

I don't have the Gold Edition.

There doesn't seem to be a quick save either when playing and I haven't been able to change which keys I want to use to do such things as move forward with up arrow rather than their allocated W. etc

I'm sure if I can just get through the first level I will get into this game more.

Hey Zone! I'm also very new to this game and I'm experiencing the same problems as you are... My computer isn't really a gaming computer so I had to scale down the graphics a bit to make it run smoothly... The biggest fps killers seem to be landscape and tree detail since there's so much of them on the screen... Try turning them down a notch and see if that helps... Shadows can also be a bummer... If it doesn't help try changing your resolution and color depth...

To save while playing just hit escape and click "save game" I haven't found a quick save but this works for me...

To bind keys you can go to "options" "controls" the click the function you want to bind a key to and then click "map key" now just press the button you want to use and Tadaa!

Hope this helps.

Hey Zone! I'm also very new to this game and I'm experiencing the same problems as you are... My computer isn't really a gaming computer so I had to scale down the graphics a bit to make it run smoothly... The biggest fps killers seem to be landscape and tree detail since there's so much of them on the screen... Try turning them down a notch and see if that helps... Shadows can also be a bummer... If it doesn't help try changing your resolution and color depth...

To save while playing just hit escape and click "save game" I haven't found a quick save but this works for me...

To bind keys you can go to "options" "controls" the click the function you want to bind a key to and then click "map key" now just press the button you want to use and Tadaa!

Hope this helps.

While it is an older game it does use a substantial amount of resorses to run at higher resolutions and settings in game.

Biggest fps hogs are human shadows and show dead bodies. Turning both off will improve your fps substantialy.

Zone, I can relate to your frustration. The accuracy of the enemy AI in GR is a bit over the top. But, then again, the accuracy of the player isn't too shabby either. Maybe a better perspective on GR is that it's not that GR is so hard, but rather, other games are simply much too easy.

What makes GR so much fun is that it challenges you to play as "tactically" as possible as mentioned in the posts above mine. If you could mop up in GR like you do in R6:Vegas, the game would never have earned its crown as one of the best tac shooters ever made. Why bother playing tactically if you can simply "Ahh-nold" the whole map with little trouble?

I remember talking about this a while back...about notching down the accuracy of the enemy AI. I think the core issue here is that the guns that the enemy AI uses (lots of Russian and AK variants) have very high accuracy attributes. The map pack "Trafic" allowed me to try these guns out and I found them to be extremely accurate. There's probably more to the issue than that though.

I don't know if this applies to single-player but there is a mod I use called Snoopy's Realism mod (IIRC) that supposedly notches down the enemy AI accuracy a bit. We use it but haven't really noticed the enemy missing much more. :P

The first map can be a bit tough for a newcomer - there's very little cover and a lot of open forest. But keep in mind that at one point we were all exactly where you were...muttering obscenities under our breath from not understanding why we were dying so much. But we all stuck with it and realized that that's part of why GR is so great!

Something else to always be ready for when firing on a group of enemies: there's almost always one guy that will immediately drop to one knee, aim at your forehead..... and hit it, as soon as you pull the trigger. This is why it's crucial to have all your squads in possition and engaging simultaniously.

I hate that guy.

As for performance, what about bulletholes? I have those reduced to 50 max, instead of 100. I don't think it matters for me I have a pretty decent rig, but I do it anyway. After all these years I'm just programmed to trim off unnecessary detail and features.

Edited by doubletap

Hope this helps.

The quicksave is F6 and quick reload from that point is F7. It works every time for me. If I'n not in the mood to keep restarting I just save before every tricky move or room or whatever.

Stick with it. I'm back into it after a long break and I'm downloading mods as fast as U can cos its fab.

Ahhh yes...how hard it was.

I had played though Originial Rainbow Six, and my wife went looking for Rogue Spear (another one of the best ever) and couldn't find it. Some guys at the store convinced her to buy GR for my birthday instead. I loaded it, hated it, and didn't play it for a year. Same problems you were having.

Then I decided, in a moment of madness or boredom or mabornessdom, to give it another go. I finally cleared the first set of bunkers and assaulted the campsite. Victory was mine and I moved to the caves where I was slaughtered mercilessly. Hadn't learned the F6 quicksave yet, so it was back to the beginning. I think when I finally finished it, I did so with one or two members of my squad surviving. I was proud. Until I realized how stupid it is to be proud of suffering 66% casualties when you're an elite recon force...

Needless to say, you stick with it, you learn, and you get better. And then the game opens up and you fall in love with it. Then you start downloading Mods because you're addicted and strung out...

Fun tidbit: On the Airport mission, I always got killed trying to enter the main tower building. I'd open the door and get popped. Then I learned my SAW rounds could pierce the door and whatever numbskull was behind it.. How gratifying to here "clank clank clank clank" and a thud. That and claymoring the crap out of tangos on the POW camp and the Sub base...

Edited by Alderei

• 2 weeks later...

Fun tidbit: On the Airport mission, I always got killed trying to enter the main tower building. I'd open the door and get popped. Then I learned my SAW rounds could pierce the door and whatever numbskull was behind it.. How gratifying to here "clank clank clank clank" and a thud.

Even the Socom will penitrate most doors. Except metal that is. But if your unsure if someone is standing behind a wooden door, empty a mag into it before you go in. Or put a claymor in front of the door or grenade or even a GL.