MP Camo mods, a very dangerous precedent

My clanmate Tilliboy has created the Camo Mod for GRAW.

Who have tried that say the mod runs very well both in single player and in multiplayer mode.

But this mean that everyone could create an homemade graphic cheat changing soldiers camos (all red for exemple) to see better enemies.

This is very very dangerous and I hope Grin Team will fix it very soon.

This is what I mean:

maurelius0zf.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want the dang pink outfits dandit.LOL.You got to admit ,,,half the battle is still shooting before the other guy....I think I hate the Corner hackers more...Cant see them at all....Remeber they put it out like microsoft does with there betas,See what happens then nail em.My god I hope they do it better....

..guys remember that we can unbundle but not bundle so it should be quite easy to block that clever local folder method :'( by setting up an higher priority access for the .bundle in multiplayer games. This will stop all those cheap cheats

(this also means we need direct mod support :shifty: )

The JAckal' date='Jun 5 2006, 03:34 PM' post='382943']

I fear GR:AW Retail version is only a single player mode game. <_<

Not for much longer, once the patches start landing it will be a whole new game.

God I hope so..

I have finished the SP campaign at the HARD level (and I hate SP for games like this).

And after getting online once or twice to play Domination, I have not got online since..! There is no point, until things get sorted out. Domination is boring, I cannot keep up with some of the players on the servers as they run way faster than I can. I hate having to pick my weapon loadout each time (I played [GR] exclusively with the SA-80 and Grenades), I was a serious player for =WO= with GR, but now most of our guys and gals are sitting around and waiting..

It's only because of the original GR that I am still willing to waste my time in waiting for GRAW to get sorted. Not because GRAW is so much better, but I recognize the potential in the game itself. My worry is how many of those guys I used to play with regularly will be around when the game is ready to LOCK n LOAD??? (hint RE the cheaters.. ;) )

Without a secure anticheats program and usefull dedicated server files this game will be surely a failure.

Ubi talks about "anti-cheat fixes", not antichets software. This is the same way token by Sierra with Swat 4, and the results is a game infected by hackers and cheaters.

The next patch will be released about in 2 weeks, but nobody knows what "anti-cheat fixes" will concern. In this game there isn't the possibility to capture screenshots nor save replays. It is a paradise for cheaters. If you are sure someone is cheating you can't kick/ban him. What I have to do? Reboot my server with the hopeness that this idiot will never join?

Grin have made a very good job about graphic and physic, but this game it's worst than Ghost Recon 1 about server management and cheaters prevention.

One month is gone by game release, and we have spent 50 euro to play an incomplete game.

Yes you are right, the potential to cheat is there. But having installed Tillboy's camo mod and having played it in multiplayer, I have to say an already impressive looking game looks even better; my only main gripe about the graphics (other than the system requirements) was the "plastic army man" appearance of the players - the mod makes the US team look much better

(I will take jungle camo green over desert plastic army man camo tan anyday)

The thing is, even with people cheating out there, Im still doing pretty good darn good.

These cheaters must suck pretty badly to not own a map even with cheats.

There's not anywhere near as much cheating as people think.

Lag can create the illusion of hacks -- you lag, someone runs out in front of you, you can't see them, they fire, your computer catches up, you see them, and you die, maybe or maybe not even hearing their gunshots, either way, it looks like autoaim. How else could they fire so fast and so accurately? Lag.

Or better, you see him and get to fire at him when in reality he'd already shot you a second earlier. From your perspective, you unload a burst into his face at point blank, then he fires and you die. "I shot you and you didn't die you hacker!" How could I have shot him and him not die, but him get me with a single shot if he's not running some sort of armor & auto-aim multi-hack? Lag.

A significant difference in ping can create the illusion of a hack. See above, though to a lesser degree. A deficit of 50 in ping will have you losing about every head-2-head encounter if neither of you is ready. It looks like autoaim. How else could they fire so fast and so accurately? Ping.

Someone knowing the map extremely well can create the illusion. They know where people will be, where people will run, where people are likely to appear, where people will hide. They're pointing at you before they can see you. How could he have known I was there? He couldn't see me. How else could he have known if not for a wireframe or names hack? Experience.

High-end soundcards can create the illusion for people who don't own them. How many people are using integrated sound, saying, "I can't tell the difference" or "my integrated sound has 3d positioning." I have an X-Fi. Let me tell you, there's a huge difference. The 3D sound with that is so freaking good that I can tell when you're going to run past an opening right in front of me, or thirty feet in front of me, just as well as if I could see you through the walls. How could he have known to prefire without a wireframe or names hack? Soundcard.

Misidentifying who shot you can create the illusion. I've been accused twice now (I'm not great), and one of them was the result of this situation. I turned a corner behind a guy who was crouched and peaking away from me around a corner. As far as I can figure (I couldn't see it), a teammate of mine came running into his sights a good distance away, and my victim started firing, at which point I fired into his back pointblank as the guy he was aiming at apparently dropped to his butt from a full run and started firing full-auto. My victim died; my teammate lived, and within moments the guy I'd shot said "Nice hack Logos" Um, what? "You know what I'm talking about." No, I don't. How was I hacking? "There's no way you could drop and fire full-auto from a run from that distance and get a headshot." Um, I was right behind you, and I was standing still. Maybe he should have had a better soundcard. :)

You can see the problem. You've got people crying hacks. And you've got people's hardware differences, and skill levels, and network anomolies that can look like hacks. I'm not saying that there are no hacks. There are. But people cry hack every day when they get owned and don't know why, or feel like they should have won the exchange. The more people make false accusations, the more others are convinced of the prevalence of hacks, and the more likely those people are to see hacks where they don't exist, as well, because they believe they're likely to run into a hacker at any moment.

Basically, there's not as much hacking as people think. It's just a lot easier for people to think they got hacked than owned.

The thing is, even with people cheating out there, Im still doing pretty good darn good.

Lag can create the illusion of hacks -- you lag, someone runs out in front of you, you can't see them, they fire, your computer catches up, you see them, and you die, maybe or maybe not even hearing their gunshots, either way, it looks like autoaim. How else could they fire so fast and so accurately? Lag.

Or better, you see him and get to fire at him when in reality he'd already shot you a second earlier. From your perspective, you unload a burst into his face at point blank, then he fires and you die. "I shot you and you didn't die you hacker!" How could I have shot him and him not die, but him get me with a single shot if he's not running some sort of armor & auto-aim multi-hack? Lag.

A significant difference in ping can create the illusion of a hack. See above, though to a lesser degree. A deficit of 50 in ping will have you losing about every head-2-head encounter if neither of you is ready. It looks like autoaim. How else could they fire so fast and so accurately? Ping.

Someone knowing the map extremely well can create the illusion. They know where people will be, where people will run, where people are likely to appear, where people will hide. They're pointing at you before they can see you. How could he have known I was there? He couldn't see me. How else could he have known if not for a wireframe or names hack? Experience.

High-end soundcards can create the illusion for people who don't own them. How many people are using integrated sound, saying, "I can't tell the difference" or "my integrated sound has 3d positioning." I have an X-Fi. Let me tell you, there's a huge difference. The 3D sound with that is so freaking good that I can tell when you're going to run past an opening right in front of me, or thirty feet in front of me, just as well as if I could see you through the walls. How could he have known to prefire without a wireframe or names hack? Soundcard.

Misidentifying who shot you can create the illusion. I've been accused twice now (I'm not great), and one of them was the result of this situation. I turned a corner behind a guy who was crouched and peaking away from me around a corner. As far as I can figure (I couldn't see it), a teammate of mine came running into his sights a good distance away, and my victim started firing, at which point I fired into his back pointblank as the guy he was aiming at apparently dropped to his butt from a full run and started firing full-auto. My victim died; my teammate lived, and within moments the guy I'd shot said "Nice hack Logos" Um, what? "You know what I'm talking about." No, I don't. How was I hacking? "There's no way you could drop and fire full-auto from a run from that distance and get a headshot." Um, I was right behind you, and I was standing still. Maybe he should have had a better soundcard. :)

You can see the problem. You've got people crying hacks. And you've got people's hardware differences, and skill levels, and network anomolies that can look like hacks. I'm not saying that there are no hacks. There are. But people cry hack every day when they get owned and don't know why, or feel like they should have won the exchange. The more people make false accusations, the more others are convinced of the prevalence of hacks, and the more likely those people are to see hacks where they don't exist, as well, because they believe they're likely to run into a hacker at any moment.

Basically, there's not as much hacking as people think. It's just a lot easier for people to think they got hacked than owned.

very good post :) and very true

The JAckal' date='Jun 5 2006, 02:34 PM' post='382943']

I fear GR:AW Retail version is only a single player mode game. <_<

Lag can create the illusion of hacks -- you lag, someone runs out in front of you, you can't see them, they fire, your computer catches up, you see them, and you die, maybe or maybe not even hearing their gunshots, either way, it looks like autoaim. How else could they fire so fast and so accurately? Lag....................................Blah Blah Blah.................................

Well actually Bludawg posted a screenie of a wall hack less than 5 days after the game was released, there are plenty of cheats out there already and a small army of cheaters out there using them. As mentioned in several other posts most of the original GR PvP online clan players wont touch this thing until/unless there is some way of beating at least some of the cheats, as 1 cheater in a leage/ladder match can make all the diff. I know at least 5 [GR] clans (including mine) who were ready to go the day this game was released but have just walked away from it altogether after the mess it turned out to be, lol not even any LMS game play out of the box.

This game in its present config seems to be more aimed at co-op players who are all known to each other and <as a preference> don't play PVP on public servers with the assocoated bunch of hackers that they attract, but believe me, in online play hackers spoil the fun if you are playing league/ladder matches and this game has been released with NO code protection and NO AC, just madness IMHO, and that is why there is not any REAL League activity.

How could they have released this game like this?>

JF

these mods were called acid skins back in the day... and are considered a cheat.

Anyone remember the Clan ladder screen shot rules lol?

im guily of a couple things myself thoe... as i was toying around with modifying some stuff.

I.E. The ghost now wear ACU pattern camo... and the reticule is just a small simple yellow dot with crosshairs.

Well actually Bludawg posted a screenie of a wall hack less than 5 days after the game was released...

I'm aware of this. I said in my posts that there were, in fact, cheats.

There are plenty of cheats out there already and a small army of cheaters out there using them. I know at least 5 [GR] clans (including mine) who... have just walked away from it altogether after the mess it turned out to be

So in response to a post where I suggest that people crying hack without solid evidence are making the problem worse than it appears, you describe yourself as someone who has "walked away from the game altogether", yet you simultaneously sit here and testify to the world about the "small army of cheaters" in a game that by your own word you aren't playing. :blink:

Thanks for making my point for me.

From the looks of progress that GRiN is making (and I'm not saying that you guys are doing a crap job, I've had my one rant and am done with that ... just needed to get that one out of my system) I'd say it'll be about 4 - 6 months before we have a proper multiplayer with GR:AW. I'm sorta wishing though that I hadn't bought it yet... I'm feeling that I

just should've waited and picking it up from the discount bin by the time

we have proper TvT MP... Don't get me wrong... the SP is really good...

but SP only holds my attention for about 1 time through the campaign. To be honest... I haven't played GR:AW in at least 2 weeks and probably

wont until a proper MP arrives either...

I do think GRiN has their priorities mixed though, instead of first working

out the bugs they should've started by finishing the game. Then the bugs

can be worked out. I'm pretty sure anyone who has finished the campaign and who isn't into the CTF scene (let's face it, Domination is souped up CTF) is now bored with GR:AW... I'll bet most of us wouldn't have minded the non-vital error bugs if that meant the game would be finished sooner... In the end though, I can't blame you for not taking the same approach I would, you guys are probably under orders from UBI concerning priorities and seeing how much work you guys put into

the AI the SP is sorta your pride n joy I guess. Anyway, I hope I'm off with the time line concerning finishing the game, because 4 - 6 months

after the release to finish the game would be too late... Most people lose

interest in a game after about 4 months, which would really be a shame

as this game does have a lot of potential. I just hope it's full potential

will be reached before long!!!