Some beef in my Taco

Hi, I’m new here; due to my general dislike of forums and all the trolling/spamming/un-healthy $41t that they all seem to hold, I will try to make this sweet and to the point. (kind of like Sweet and Sour chicken)

After reading the new Whiteknight interview I was shocked at two statements that I think are a big mistake if not done in GRAW PC/XBOX versions.

“Is there only FPV in MP? If there are other views, can the server force the view?

There is no 3rd person or OTS view in GRAW for PC in either SP or MP games. It is all 1st person.â€

“Will GRAW feature nothing but urban maps or will we have some open terrain to have firefights on?

If you mean empty woods with no inhabitants no. GRAW is urban and ranges from things like shantytowns to dense city environments. I know people are afraid urban will mean less options of approach to a goal but it is rather the opposite. The missions cater to open areas like parks and more wooded terrain but not pure jungle as Far Cry or such.â€

(I’m not asking for FarCry here, but MP levels to that of GR2 are a must!)

These two may influence me more then anyone else in here, and I say this because of my situation; I am a maturing gamer (at the tail end of my gaming years) and an old gamer vet of 26.

As you might imagine @ 26 i have seen my large share of great games, crappy games and in-betweens, this brings me to the fact that I am very jaded and as RL responsibilities get heavier and heavier I have to become more and more selective with my involvement in the game world. As this scenario gets more and more one sided I found a little gem that helped keep me grounded in the wonderful world of coded reality - "XBOX Ghost Recon 2"

The 2 features in GR2 that influenced me to get the game and waste my precious time on them are; The open ended environments (large Forest Levels and other great MP maps) and the "TPWV" (Third person weapon view) These are a perfect combination that GR2 had as large wooded areas brought me into a new aspect of combat seldom seen in other similar type games and the 3rd person view aka "TPWV" sealed the deal as the view of my Ghost further helped suck me into the game play (It gives me a fresh new perspective if you will :P - pun intended) as I develop a pseudo emotional attachment to my Ghost since I can physically see/hear and mentally connect to his actions via the visuals provided by the external view. (A much fresher/nicer implementation then just straight 1st Person View) :sheep:

I was much crushed to see GR2 not making it to PC but then when GR3 was announced I was very excited again, until I read this new interview that is.

If these 2 must have (for me) features are not in GR3 xbox360/pc versions then I am sadly determined to shelf them quickly after the SP campaign is over. We all know SP is the sweet cherry sitting on top of the yummy MP banana split.

Id like to thank Redstorm for without them :ph34r: "Project IGOR" :ph34r: would not be what it is today.

P.S. I’m sorry it meant to be short and sweet…

/me runs back to America’s Army :whistle:

Edited by disgruntled employe

The GRAW console versionss will have a modified OTS view. The big thing about the new view is that you will not be able to see around corners or objects like you could in GR2. Community reaction to how badly it was implemented and the advantages gained (one of the reason why PC gamers lobbied RSE hard to have it removed to begin with) by using it had RSE rethink it and do a redsign of it to take away those advantages.

For the record, I am 44 and am still playing PC games as many here are over the 35 year age group. Many here are also either active or previous military (somethng about RSE games that drew them in) and enjoy how things were done with GR. Even some of the younger members here like how it had been with the original both PC and console.

I am a maturing gamer (at the tail end of my gaming years) and an old gamer vet of 26. 

:rofl: that is all I have to say about that

As you might imagine @ 26 i have seen my large share of great games, crappy games and in-betweens, this brings me to the fact that I am very jaded

:ph34r:

what a grizzled veteran you are. I could see that thousand yard gamer stare even before I clicked your post. When nine out of the ten voices in your head are helping you select your weapons kit, you can be worried. until then, you have many years of gaming fun ahead. grasshopper, you have much to learn.

Sinsai

I don't like the option for OT view and glad it's not there.... Reason being in MP it gives the player the ability to see things they should not, depending on the camera angle and resolution (in the pc the resolution can be changed)

I think this is the reason it isn't. Also Seing your whole character does not make it as personal as looking through your characters eyes. Specially if you get shot and spin around (in FPV it would make you dizzy like you have been shot)(in OT your character would just spin, not the same effect.

LOL tnx for hatin on my age comment. I guess I should elaborate by saying at 26 im at my bussy time of my life, the time where I should be starting a family, getting married, buying a house, and spending time polishing my profesional skills, (not in that perticular order) instead of using my free time to play games... Once I get couple of those things figured out then I can see myself getting back to it. You can hate me or not for what I say, I don't care either way..

As far as 3rd person view, I hope they make it a server setup mode, I dont know what it is about 3rd person view but I just enjoy it more

LOL tnx for hatin on my age comment. I guess I should elaborate by saying at 26 im at my bussy time of my life, the time where I should be starting a family, getting married, buying a house, and spending time polishing my profesional skills, (not in that perticular order) instead of using my free time to play games...

Oh no not that im going to be hitting 30 soon rubbish.

I should be starting a family, getting married, buying a house, and spending time polishing my profesional skills,

Well depends if you living up to the peer pressure of society & family mate. I dont think when I fell out of my mothers womb 31 years ago I waited 26 years with strict instructions for any of the above LOL. Its a myth mate .. enjoy who YOU are and do what YOU want ... age is a bunch of numbers, dont believe the hype!

On topic again .... Optional to switch off for MP and SP then ok have it in, but not that many round here would worry if it isn't in.

Edited by calius

Hi everyone

My first post here.I am looking forward to GR:AW on the PC, i have great faith that this game will be awesome.I played Ghost Recon, DS, and IT for ages, to me it was the best war game out.I do prefer the fpwv in fps.Man i wish i was 26 again, i not too long ago thought to myself...is it time to hang up the mouse?Not a chance, what with the technology of today, hardware plus the software (games) to good to miss out on man.I don't think i'll ever grow out of gaming, everything i wanted to see in games is here and it's getting better and greater, the graphics and gameplay is the best it has been, well that's what i think.At 43 life is great.I think i remember reading an article somewhere on the net that said 25% of gamers are over 40, how true that is i dunno.

I think i remember reading an article somewhere on the net that said 25% of gamers are over 40, how true that is i dunno.

Let's see what the stats say from 2003.

The ESA, formerly the Interactive Digital Software Association (IDSA), found an increase in the number of 50+ game players at 17 percent — up from 13 percent in 2000 — with the average gaming age at 29. The average age of the gamer in 2000 was 28.

Who's Playing Games?

Computer Games Video Games

Under 18 29.7% 37.9%

18-35 28.7% 39.5%

35+ 41.6% 22.7%

Male 58.1% 71.5%

Female 41.9% 28.5%

Source: ESA

Women over the age of 18 and older make up a larger percentage of the gaming population — 26 percent — than boys aged 6-to-17 (21 percent), and girls aged 6-to-17 account for 12 percent of all gamers. Not surprisingly, males over the age of 18 represent the largest group of gamers at 38 percent.

The table is hard to read, but I'm sure you guys can make it out. If not, click here.

2005 Essential Facts - Check it out!

55% are male gamers

43% are female gamers

Women over the age of 18 represent a greater portion of the game-playing population (28%) than boys from age 6 - 17 (21%).

Average age of gamers is 30 years old.

Age of game players

35% under age 18

43% between 18 and 49

19% over age 50

Hi everyone

My first post here.I am looking forward to GR:AW on the PC, i have great faith that this game will be awesome.I played Ghost Recon, DS, and IT for ages, to me it was the best war game out.I do prefer the fpwv in fps.Man i wish i was 26 again, i not too long ago thought to myself...is it time to hang up the mouse?Not a chance, what with the technology of today, hardware plus the software (games) to good to miss out on man.I don't think i'll ever grow out of gaming, everything i wanted to see in games is here and it's getting better and greater, the graphics and gameplay is the best it has been, well that's what i think.At 43 life is great.I think i remember reading an article somewhere on the net that said 25% of gamers are over 40, how true that is i dunno.

I can just imagine you as the "Comic Book Guy" from Simpsons.... Best Game Ever!

Hell I just turned 50 and I have been playing puter games since they were typed adventure games in DOS, lol before we made the quantum leap to EGA graphics!!!!!!!!!!

Lol when Leasure suit Larry came out (in 1989 or thereabouts) it crashed the office server cause we had it so full of game saves! Lol in those days multiplayer meat over the office Lan with the tech guys in the lab, and other sales guys in the office, or my son by Null modem cable from my PC in the lounge to his PC in his bedroom.

Played nearly every flight sim that has ever come out and was playing lan connected fliight sim games since 1989, and a big game was 150kbs!!. So what!!!!!!!!

I dont understand why age is even a topic of conversation, you either a gamer or u aint regardless of age. Only diff now is I can afford a pc better than my old 286!!!!!!! but a kid of 16's money is the same colour as mine.

The only thing WK and I can use a zimmer frame for is melting it down to make ammo.

If yr a gamer then yr a gamer till u die.

JF

Edited by JFSebastian