F.E.A.R. Demo available

Cpl Ledanek

FF, I have, it's a shooter, you against the masses, but I've got to say it's fun for me to play. Went through it on easy first time, made it through on first try. On next level it got nasty. Demo gives you a look at weapons and nice look at enemy ai. They do a good job of using cover, leaning out from cover to fire, splitting up to trap you, they rope from a helicopter. Map is a little tight though there are times you can use an alternate route. There is some foul language involved at times( blew one up with a proximity charge sent both arms flying in different directions. Support moved up, one ai kept telling another to move up, the other guy kept saying no ff######## way :D ). You can vault across counters/through windows which makes for some wild firefights. Enemy doesn't have uber aim, but you don't want to stand still as they'll toss a frag and try to flank you. You get the standard shooter med packs, pick up ammo/weapons from the dead, armor as well. I found the graphics to be decent but this game is not for lower end computers, it's a hog on resources. One of the fun features is the slo mo effect, it lasts for only a short period of time but gives you the edge in mass fights. Had an enemy vaulting over a counter just as I hit the effect, and could see impact after impact on him. Another effect that's built in is the lighting, on easiest setting, map was higher gamma and no flashlight was needed. On next level, it got much darker(hear that Cpl L, better tell your other half to be ready to comfort you again like the Doom 3 demo ;) ). Flashlight has limited time use, then must recharge, but unlike doom, flashlight and weapon can be used at same time (light is either attached to character or weapon). You are limited to 3 weapons at a time. If you liked Doom 3, you'll like this. It's strictly a fun type of game.

Interesting, maybe I'll download the demo.  I was hoping the AI and squad based tactics would be more than the whole Doom 3 monsters/scary dark scenes... etc.  Thanks for the info.

Gamespy was implying that some missions (not in the demo) would be more team-oriented.

slow mode shooting out a window tossing in a nade and watching everyone go boom is a blast

the ai jumping threw windows and off of catwalks is cool thoe...

definitly cool

Edited by Prozac360

im hassling my isp to host it.

DL wont effect my quota, and will come at 5000+KBPs

Hey Dan, seeing as how you have the contact, how about seeing if they'll start a folder for GR mods to their game files section. :thumbsup:

God know ill be hanged!

This request is through my isps gaming arm forum, a forum dominated by CS types. Most realisitc thing for miles is AA 2.3. :wall:

All the server links seem  to be broken or overloaded. Now trying Bitorrent - should be done in a couple days. Perhaps it should be called Bitdribble  :wacko:

:D

try 3Dgamers.com jack, they have aussie mirrors, internode might even have one.

All the server links seem  to be broken or overloaded. Now trying Bitorrent - should be done in a couple days. Perhaps it should be called Bitdribble  :wacko:

:D

try 3Dgamers.com jack, they have aussie mirrors, internode might even have one.

LOL, they're the ones that moved it over to Bitorrent. Anyway, it's finally finished downloading - must be very popular. Cheers anyway :rocky:

ps: oh, broadband here btw :blink:

BTW, the demo is very good IMO. OK, it's heavily scripted and 'smells' a lot like HL2, but the AI are awesome and I can't wiat to fry someone in MP with that laser thingamyjig that leaves behind their scorched skeleton :devil:

i thought it was great. Bullet time is fun, and the AI are very clever.

And the graphics, gawd! I couldnt run it at maximum crank, but even at medium/high it was amazing. When the chopper rocks up i just froze lookin at it, just looked so :o !!!

I tried the bullet time effect on it.. Wasnt that impressive.. Reminded me of Enter The Matrix .. U cant beat the max payne bullet time engine (my opinion).. Although the gore and atmosphere is good.. Its kinda like Riddick : Escape from butchers bay.

Over all, its a good demo... :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I played it on easy and enjoyed the AI too. I like to toss a frag and hear em yelling all manner of profanities. I heard em argue too a la Far Cry. I like the rolls and pulling down stuff to construct better cover. I did not like that Boss armored guy. The air insert reminded me of Far Cry. The overall level reminded me of HL2 maps and combat against the soldier class (Nova Prospekt) crossed with early game maps and later game combat against the Black/Red Ops troops in Area 51. The little girl added some creep. Flashing the hallway from lighted to dark red light and bloody - a la Delta Labs Unknown in RoE? I am going to go back through now in the more difficult modes, I like hearing they alter the environment to add to that, cool. IMHO Sierra has done a great job providing us eery/spooky games - ok no DOOM like stuff, but they give us this on top of HL2 and AVP2? I gotta believe later levels will crank up the creep much more... Will I ever catch and shoot that little pest???? Come to think of it - I once climbed back up that ladder at the far end of the hallway and she was standing up there a little way back looking down at me!

mig :ph34r:

Edited by migryder