No G.R.A.W. for me

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(the constant assumption that console gamers are all "13-year-olds-with-gallons-of-coke" or run n' gun fans is inaccurate anyway). GR3 will probably be a good game. It just won't contain some of the elements that most PC fans would prefer.

Hopefully Ubisoft learned from it's mistakes and is licking it's wounds, while getting a clear and concise message that GR was NOT meant to be another counter strike, or another battlefield 1942.

GR2 sold 1.4 million copies in seven weeks and is one of the top Xbox Live games ever. I don't think Ubi are exactly slapping their foreheads over it.

First, I wasn't assuming that ALL console gamers are "13-year-olds-with-gallons-of-coke". I was simply stating that it seems most all "13-year-olds-with-gallons-of-coke" love to see lots of blood and gore in a very unrealistic manner.

Secondly, if GR2 sold 1.4 million copies, then why did they feel it wouldn't sell on PC? 1.4 million copies is no small amount...

If you don't like the way GR played, find a different game that fits you.

You seem to have misinterepreted my post. That's not what I meant at all. I was talking about the reasons for GR's shift to a console style, and the subsequent rumblings within the PC community.

why do you think GR2 for PC wasn't released? If it had been, it most likely would have sat on the shelf with few people buying it. People would have wanted a demo to try before purchasing it and after trying the demo and not liking it, Ubi would have lost even more money that it did by simply canceling the game

...That's exactly my point. That is why Ubi want to sell their games to the Console gamers. I can't remember the exact quote, but when they pulled GR2, the announcement was something along the lines of "we didn't want to release a game that didn't live up to the expectations of the PC gamers". The PC gamers wouldn't have been happy with it.

What I was saying is that Ubi's biggest market now is in consoles, hence the reason the GR franchise has become consolized, if one can call it that. They aren't going to go back to what GR was, because there is less money down that road.

GR1 for XBox was at the top of the list for a long time. Look what is in the number 1 spot now, a run and gun game. If XBox players aren't just run and gun types, explain how a run and gun game is the most played.

Actually I think that just illustrates the diversity of the players, such was my point. They liked GR1 alot. It was the top Live game for 2002. Ergo, they aren't all run n' gunners.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

harntrox is the GR "E.F. Hutton" to me... when he speaks, I listen.

I'll play wait & see with GR3... regardless of hype & promises... the proof will be in the pudding.

I hope GR3 turns out well & harntrox decides to work some of his magic upon it... he sure has made GR1 more fun & replayable for many of us!

Noobisoft will have to earn another dime from this kid!  :yes:

Same here. Harn has been probably the leading modder for GR. I'll wait and see what the MP looks like, that's what I buy it for, and I'll alsowait and see what Harn thinks of the modability, the other thing I would buy it for.

His opinions hold alot of weight with me.

And even before he posted, as many of you know, I shared his opinion and came to the same conclusion.

We have been waiting on Ubi for years for a follow up to GR. They have copped out everytime they said it was coming.

Sorry for the lack of faith, but we aren't talking about Redstorm anymore, since they are now out of the GR picture.(Sadly). The work I saw that they were doing was awesome and held alot of promise when I toured the facility and got to see what they were doing with GR2 for PC.

Hopefully GRIN will be able to consult Serellan and the rest of the REAL GR team when making this game.

But I don't expect much at all. But I do hope that I'm pleasantly surprised.

why do you think GR2 for PC wasn't released? If it had been, it most likely would have sat on the shelf with few people buying it. People would have wanted a demo to try before purchasing it and after trying the demo and not liking it, Ubi would have lost even more money that it did by simply canceling the game

...That's exactly my point. That is why Ubi want to sell their games to the Console gamers. I can't remember the exact quote, but when they pulled GR2, the announcement was something along the lines of "we didn't want to release a game that didn't live up to the expectations of the PC gamers". The PC gamers wouldn't have been happy with it.

What makes you think that console gamers were happy with GR2? I have been checking around and what I am seeing even at MS's XBox forums is that people don't like it. There are many anecdotes of people returning it and the returnee stating that the clerk said "another GR2 return".

GR1 for XBox was at the top of the list for a long time. Look what is in the number 1 spot now, a run and gun game. If XBox players aren't just run and gun types, explain how a run and gun game is the most played.

Actually I think that just illustrates the diversity of the players, such was my point. They liked GR1 alot. It was the top Live game for 2002. Ergo, they aren't all run n' gunners.

If GR1 was the top live game for 2002, why is not GR2 the top live game now? It didn't stay the top game long. If the way GR1 played garnered it the top game for 2002, must have been something about it that people liked compared to GR2.

From where I am looking, the fact is, while it may have sold, people weren't happy with it. Ubi blew it for many people and not just for us PC gamers who did not get a game with GR2. Remember, Ubi's sales numbers do not include those who returned the game.

GR2 is the number 3 game on Live! last I heard. How many people who acctually like something get on forums and make posts? I know there are a ton of games I absolutely love and I don't post how jhappy I am with it on forums, I just play it and have fun which the the majority of people do. I mean the only reason I ever started reading GR.net and posting here was because I was researching the game, if I had just picked it up at the store and played it, heck I might still be playing on UBI, or be onto a totally new game.

From where I am looking, the fact is, while it may have sold, people weren't happy with it. Ubi blew it for many people and not just for us PC gamers who did not get a game with GR2. Remember, Ubi's sales numbers do not include those who returned the game.

That's the nutshell, right there. Ubi's marketing dweebs aren't concerned with a game that has staying power -- ala modability or nonlinear gameplay -- they're looking strictly at the fastbuck. In fact, I doubt they're interested in games at all. We're talking about pencil-pushers here, gentlemen; and the new generation of pencil pushers are like locusts: they deplete one marketplace and migrate to the next one -- all in the name of first-quarter revenues and on-target ROI. Once someone finds them out they jump ship, leaving some poor schmuck to hold the bag. I've seen it countless times in publishing/media companies: bunk marketing is a strawdog for these vertically mobile scumbags.

This is how companies arrive here:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/86...32/m/1521031523

Edited by walnut

How many people who acctually like something get on forums and make posts?  I know there are a ton of games I absolutely love and I don't post how jhappy I am with it on forums, I just play it and have fun which the the majority of people do.  I mean the only reason I ever started reading GR.net and posting here was because I was researching the game....

Those are your observations... my experience, however, says that lots of people post on forums to do more than just cry about the game they're playing (or in GR2's case, *not* playing) -- I, for instance, usually post on forums to meet other people who play the same games I play...

How many people who acctually like something get on forums and make posts?  I know there are a ton of games I absolutely love and I don't post how jhappy I am with it on forums, I just play it and have fun which the the majority of people do.  I mean the only reason I ever started reading GR.net and posting here was because I was researching the game....

Those are your observations... my experience, however, says that lots of people post on forums to do more than just cry about the game they're playing (or in GR2's case, *not* playing) -- I, for instance, usually post on forums to meet other people who play the same games I play...

Same here. In fact, I found this site doing that very thing. I posted about how I liked the game, and used this site to hook up with others.

I agree. You don't just see the people who are ######. You see happy customers as well, either posting about how they like the game, or looking for people to play witrh, or even providing tech support on their own time at no cost.

Would a ###### off customer do that? I think not.

If GR1 was the top live game for 2002, why is not GR2 the top live game now? It didn't stay the top game long.

GR2 didn't stay as the top Xbox Live game for long because Halo 2 came out a few weeks later. AFAIK, GR2 was #2 for the next 6 months or so til Forza Motorsport which just came out.

The fact that it in the top 3 after half a year is nothing short of impressive, considering how many new Xbox Live games come out every month (including other recent big titles Chaos Theory, DOOM 3 etc.). :thumbsup:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/live-top25...l1=enuslivehome

• 2 weeks later...

there will not be a game called gr3 for pc, after all. how .... nice. grawww - the sound of the hammer coming down on the nail.

bam!: the suits in marketing over there are geniuses!!!. not since pez and comic books has a sequel of any form of entertainment( be it books movies games) jumped from '1' to '3'.

i guess the geniuses figured out they're only fooling themselves with that '3'.

( oh yea and the apparently growing market of 30+ yr olds with ... xboxes )

so... now they admit total marketing failure with regard to the naming conventions used to hide their dismantling of the franchise in the glorious name of dumbed-down-console game designs.

and choose a new naming convention in the hopes of shaking off some of their well earned reputation as the leading destroyer of once viable fpts franchises for the pc platform.

the only hope here is that grin can now kill scott mitchell more easily (diff product name= different design hopefully) and return to the foundation play-style of the franchise that supported all the various modes of non-linear play, rather than the style that gr2's linear design forced.

1. Whats with all the screen clutter.

2. Second worst ret ive seen(first is F2f).

3. Whats with the cars on their roof, but with no damage to the roof..did the enemy place them down nice and soft?

4. Wheres the GR1 trademark ret view only?

I came across this todayand thought you might be interested.....

GR3 Screens and writeup on worthplaying.com

-John

I recognised that write up, it is infact the GR3 Fact sheet that Ubi released around E3. The images are new though.

What caught my eye is that phrase at the very foot that I don't understand....

"This title is not officially concept approved by Sony Computer Entertainment America."

What does that mean?

"This title is not officially concept approved by Sony Computer Entertainment America."

What does that mean?

Pretty much as it reads..... ALL game concepts have to be approved by the console manufacturers before they will "license" you the right to make your game for thier console. To get that approval you need to submit a concept document and jump through a ton of hoops to get approved. Sometimes they take a while to get you that approval... wether it be because they want you to change things, have "suggestions" or are just taking their good old time.

I guess you could liken it to when movie trailers come out and say "not yet rated". IT will be it just isn't done officially yet. Given the stature of RSE/Ubi I doubt they are in any danger of not getting approved. ;)

-John

What does that mean?

It means exactly what it says.

Ah, thanks for the explanation N! :rolleyes:

What does that mean?

Pretty much as it reads..... ALL game concepts have to be approved by the console manufacturers before they will "license" you the right to make your game for thier console. To get that approval you need to submit a concept document and jump through a ton of hoops to get approved. -John

Ah, concept art is more than just eye candy for us fans then. <_<