If GR2 does suck, what will we play?

Sup

why? why why!

I think the reason for the non swappable character & limiting 3 or 2 fireteams to 1 is simply because of hand controller issues. It's easy to do with a pc keyboard & mouse combo but with a handcontroller with only 12 buttons + direction pads it would be very difficult if not impossible to achive a user frendly way of controling it all.

As for the run & gun game play :wacko: I'm not sold on this. I don't think it will be run & gun. The clips & bits we've seen were work in progress & just the action bitz so we can't really judge it on that.

I think it will be a good but will it stand out from the crowd???

I don't think so & all because of Hand controller limitations affecting a Kayboard & Mouse combo's options.

What does cheese me off though is UBI/RSE's silence in all this.

Still no mention of the PC version or if it will differ at all to the console version. I would like to think it will but I doubt it. :unsure:

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now, I'm not even considering buying it. As far as I can work out, all they'll really be doing is adding in a first person view. I very much doubt they'll actually change the gameplay or anything else just to make the PC crowd happy, as they've already cornered their console market. We're expendable.

This from a guy with under 30 posts? 

Ouch, that stings. :thumbsup:

it can be said that the console gamers who bought GR based their buying decision upon the good merits of the PC version of the game. in fact, i'm sure that a PC Gamer Game of the Year award is a highly coveted accolade -- no matter which platform you prefer. surely you can't deny that much of the success of the console edition of GR was based upon the success of the PC version. there was, simply, nothing out there quite like it.

I'm sure that the PC Ghost Recon is what got the franchise going, but the transition from PC to mainstream console is the equivilant of any independant movie director getting signed to a major studio. He establishes himself with his pure artistic talent, but then has to tone down his own creativity when he starts making big budget movies that need to have mass appeal. In short, the director sold out.

But, can you blame him? In any other job "selling out" is called being a good employee. You do what the boss wants, and you get promoted. Just put it in perspective. You'd do the same thing as the guys at UBI and RSE if you were in the same position.

As for the changes in the gameplay itself. I think you guys are right about the controller vs mouse and keyboard stuff. The commands need to be simplified when you have less buttons. But to add to that: keep in mind that console systems are geared towards a younger audience. Most kids just don't have the patients to sneak your sniper around a map without killing anyone. Also, kids choose the games they want to play differently. They go over to their friends houses and watch their buddies zap terrorists for a little bit. How fun is it to watch someone else play GR, really? 90% of the time is spent crawling through the trees. Then you open up for a few seconds, the slink back into the shadows. Its not very often you get into extended hollywood style firefights. Now watch your buddy play a game like Unreal, where you're mowing down 5 guys a second with spaceage weaponry. That gets more interesting and thats what sells to people without the patience to do some real research before they spend their (or their parent's)money.

Honestly, after seeing the 'Making of' feature on the OXM disk, I have no doubt that the (at least the higher up) people at RSE are enthusiastic about their game. It doesn't seem to be all UBI's doing.

Also, UBI isn't exactly known for killing games without mass appeal. Look at 'Beyond good and evil' (I think it's called that) and 'Prince of Persia: SOT'. Neither sold well, but both were very creative.

If GR2 was to come to pc as a console port--won't that affect ability to mod or script? Anyone think of any decent ports to pc that had an editor came with it? As for alternatives of what to play--I've seen many games promoted but I don't get excited anymore unless they release a demo with most of the games features available in it and I can try it out first hand. No demo-no buy. Maybe budgie will be kind enough to share his hostesses.

WOW...

I havn't been to this part of the forums in awhile....

>SNIP<

clearly.

This from a guy with under 30 posts? :lol:

i lurk...

and honestly, for a number of years i wasn't of the forum-going spirit even though i've enjoyed playing the game since the demo was released in 2001. i purchased both mission packs/expansions as well. i may not be well known here, but i enjoy the hell out of the game just the same :-)

i lurk...

and honestly, for a number of years i wasn't of the forum-going spirit even though i've enjoyed playing the game since the demo was released in 2001. i purchased both mission packs/expansions as well. i may not be well known here, but i enjoy the hell out of the game just the same :-)

Perhaps he 'wasn't of the forum-going spirit even though [He]'s enjoyed playing the game'.

if gr2 does suck....i'll probably move over to BIA, which seems to be more like what i'm looking for...

:wall::wall:

Fools!!

There is no game called "BIA" BIA stands for Bohemia Interactive, the developers of VBS1

Thats what your on about, VBS1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i lurk...

Perhaps he 'wasn't of the forum-going spirit even though [He]'s enjoyed playing the game'.

you're missing my point.

i was responding to the fact that he'd missed out on a lot of the discussion about GR2 and more specifically i was addressing that just as ubi/rse are a business, a smarter business decision is one that builds upon previous product's successes. from my point of view, GR2 is something of a departure from its predecessor. finally, i don't see any problem with people discussing the issues... however, he seemed to be saying that we don't have " ... the right to criticize RSE and UBI's judgement" [sic].

but hey, what do i know? i only have 30 posts!

:ermm:

Walnut, I think what certain folks were rubbed the wrong way when you threw in the "clearly", after I had just admitted I hadn't been to this specific forum in awhile. It seemed like a low blow to descredit my post, right after I had cited that weakness in my own argument. In so many words, I was trying to say "take my opinion for what it's worth".

For the record, I know my GR too. I've been playing the game for as long as you have. In the past, I've also been pretty active in the GR community. Now, if we're done comparing our the size of our weiners, lets move on with the discussion.

Brothers in arms....

thank you.... :thumbsup:

Thats what your on about, VBS1

ummm, too expensive for me. ;) besides. i didn't like "ofp 1" that much (can't tell exactly why...it just didn't "feel" good to me), so i'm not really looking forward to any bohemia interactive games....but who knows? maybe "[OFP: DR]" is going to be a killer-game...

I'm not too fond of OFP myself either. Fan of the game keep saying that it is one of the best combat simulations, but that's not going to matter much if you don't like the game to begin with.

GR has kind of spoiled me. Its funny how a certain type of game has a certain amount of influence. As I've written before I tried some FPS games after GR but they were just not as good anymore (Chrome, and I even tried the Farcry demo which I just didn't like either).

So although many new games are coming out where I've said earlier i probably would be playing those, but now I'm not too sure anymore. when something doesn't feel right (I guess I keep using GR as a reference) it kind of spoils it to me. If I have to hit a guy with no helmet like 10 times in the head before it goes down then ... *yawn* Or when a machinegun sounds like a fart gun without being a SD version, or when enemies go flying when hit ... I don't know ... I also grew a bit tired of these 'end bosses' you can find in various FPS games or the silly hunt for the key or code kind of schemes *yawn*. So I guess I kinda grew out of those, and perhaps GR is to blame.

So really, if GR2 isn't worth playing (I do hope it is), I probably will continue playing Ghost Recon.

Heck I even tried replaying some of the games, like MOH and Vietcong, which aren't bad games to begin with, but they just don't do it for me anymore.

*shrug*

:blink:

vietcong??

:wall:

that game had some potential, but in the end it was poorly optimized, and it was overall too cartoony... multiplayer was fun for a little while though.

my list:

close combat (want more details)

brothers in arms (this one's an easy sell)

moh: pacific assault (might be fun in MP)

full spectrum warrior (just for kicks to pass time until GR2)

GR2

joint ops was a disappointment. as was far cry (pretty though). a friend gave me freedom fighters to play... i enjoyed maybe 5 levels worth and then did a scheduled OS re-install and it never made it back on my HD, but i see there's a sequel in development. what else... ??

oh, yeah... i also didn't like OFP much. the controls were too clunky and it was kinda drab looking.

i've been playing battlefield vietnam more than anything... but that's only because i'm waiting to for DTD to release a patch to the "no easy day" GR mod :rofl:

i was looking forward to SWAT4 until sierra went through all that political ###### with game producers/developers. SWAT3 was awesome, but i have no idea what 4 will be like without rod fung running the show. :unsure:

anything else out there worth looking at?

GR has kind of spoiled me. Its funny how a certain type of game has a certain amount of influence. As I've written before I tried some FPS games after GR but they were just not as good anymore (Chrome, and I even tried the Farcry demo which I just didn't like either).

that captures exactly what i'm feeling about ghost recon vs other fps shooters. after playing r6 and rs i got stuck with gr, because it captured the same immerse of the previous redstorm-titles, but combined with wide-open areas, which i personally like very much.

I don't know ... I also grew a bit tired of these 'end bosses' you can find in various FPS games or the silly hunt for the key or code kind of schemes *yawn*. So I guess I kinda grew out of those, and perhaps GR is to blame.

:thumbsup: i hate those end-boss-shooters as well.... like a 2-stories high mutant with 4 machineguns attached to his arms....ridiculous :lol:

So really, if GR2 isn't worth playing (I do hope it is), I probably will continue playing Ghost Recon.

Heck I even tried replaying some of the games, like MOH and Vietcong, which aren't bad games to begin with, but they just don't do it for me anymore.

in mp i recently played some cod and was impressed by some of its features. it was a fast game´with only littel tactics involved, but fun nevertheless. vietcong was fun, too...for a while. but soon it got boring....

was looking forward to SWAT4 until sierra went through all that political ###### with game producers/developers. SWAT3 was awesome, but i have no idea what 4 will be like without rod fung running the show.

hmm. i guess i'm a little bit too trigger happy for swat3. although it was a good game....but what i missed: multiplayer. its a shame, that swat never got its multiplayer-part. i think thats what broke the neck of swat3, because rainbow had this feature and was out on the market at the same time. i.e.: imho the rainbow-series is imho the better game compared to swat.

:blink:

vietcong??

:wall:

that game had some potential, but in the end it was poorly optimized, and it was overall too cartoony... multiplayer was fun for a little while though.

Yes I agree, there were a lot of problems having vietcong run smooth and consecutive patches often did more harm then good. People still got the random CTD's and so on. However, my interest in the game is based on the interest in that particular war. And I did enjoy playing through the single player version, eventhough Nhut was a nut lol and the friendly AI was giving me headaches at times too. I never bought Vietcong for MP tho, it didn't attrack me. Ghost Recon only attracks me if it is co-op, i don't care much for deathmatches or hamburger hill whatever :)

As for SWAT 4, don't know much about all the problems you speak off, I haven't realy followed it. I know it has been delayed at least twice now since it was already suppose to come out lol. I really liked SWAT 3 too though. Its one of the games that really made me feel part of a team, more than with Ghost Recon, where often I felt I was babysitting them. And SWAT 3 does have mulltiplayer tho, it was added later. I got my niece and nephew a copy and they seem to love the paintball version :rofl: