Joining The Military

Guest Jester

• 5 months later...
are people chosen for sf or do they just join sf?

If you're talking Army SF, then you have to volunteer and get through the selection course.

edit - that's a little ambiguous. Sorry, I was tired when I responded. You have to get through selection in order to get a chance to try to get through the Q course and become SF.

Edited by Jester

• 2 weeks later...

:whistle: I suppose I'm what's known as a POGUE in this arena, but here goes. If any of you (I was too busy/lazy to read the whole thread) have questions directly pointed in my line of work, the AH-64A/D Apache, feel free to ask me up or email me about it. I also used to work MLRS field artillery for about 3 years. Oh, and any Army NCO's out there needing/wanting a bit of career advice can feel free to talk to me on that as well. Been there, done it, picked up SFC first-look this year.

I applaud anyone out there who's willing to volunteer to serve. Not just in America, either, and even those serving in the armed forces of other nations. I work closely with a few Korean Army soldiers, and have worked in the past with German, Italian, British, Danish, Polish, and Canadian folks, just to name a few. We're all in it together, one way or another, and all professionals.

:santa: Happy Holidays, yo...

sorry forgot to ask some questions:

are there any issues for tall ppl in the military (im 14 now and im 5'10")

i will be from 6'3"-6'5" just wondering if i would have any difficultly

and is there hope for scrawny ppl (like i said im 5'10" but im only 125lbs.) but im working on it

:P  thanks all

dude no offense but im only 5'4'' and 118LBS.

i can do around 65 push ups without stopping

25 pull ups benching 110lbs and dead lifts of 265lbs

if ya wanna gain mass just workout constantly

im 15 but short i hope that they take short people. LOL..

Edited by assault reserve

height shouldnt matter unless your aiming for pilot or some kind of vechile crew, then there will be height restrictions. I dont think being too short matters.

Assualt Reserve, one reason that you are short could be because of working out to much at a young age. Its not good to do to many weights during puberty and teenage growth spurts, it can stunt growth. Being 15, if you laid off the weights for a bit, you may find you will start growing faster.

IIRC there is a height minimum, what it is I don't recall without looking it up.

Edit: Looked it up.

Age Must be between the ages of 17 and 35 years. If age 17, parents' signed consent is required.

Citizenship Must be a U.S. citizen or have been legally admitted to the United States for permanent residence and possess immigration and naturalization documents.

Males: Physical Condition (Some military occupations have additional requirements.) Height: 5'0" to 6'8" Weight: 100 lb to 255 lb

Females: Physical Condition (Some military occupations have additional requirements.) Height: 4'10" to 6'8" Weight: 90 lb to 227 lb

Vision (in general) (Some military occupations have additional requirements.) At least 20/400 or 20/200 vision corrected to 20/20 with eyeglasses or contact lenses. Depth perception and color blindness is also tested.

General Health Must be able to pass a medical exam.

Education High school is now a requirement in most enlisted occupations.

Aptitude Must qualify for enlistment on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) test.

Background Investigation Background investigation must reveal that person is of strong moral character.

Marital Status and Dependents May be either single or married, with or without dependents.

Taken from armedforcescareers.com

One note on the citizenship thing: as of about 2-3 years ago, at least for the US Army, you had 8 years once you enlisted to become naturalized, or you had to go. This hasn't changed since, so there is a big push these days to assist our soldiers from other nations in obtaining their citizenship. Especially here in Korea, where a significantly large number of our soldiers ARE Korean originally. I could point-out at least a half-dozen soldiers in my battalion who are Korean, and the English skills of some of them could be put to shame by a lot of the KATUSA's here for that matter. Off the point, I know, but I just think it's amusing at times.

Anyhow, if you're a non-US Citizen considering joining the US Army, realize that you have 8 years from that point to become a US Citizen or go to the unemployment line back in your home nation. Personally, I would like to applaud ALL of my fellow members of the Armed Forces of ALL peaceful nations for their service. Those who've never served just can't understand what we do...

-RAbbi

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hey guys, sry this may not be related to this topic but i just got this account and am not very knowledgable about these forums, but if someone could help me that would be great. I am a canadian going into the military, and just wondering if anyone knows a webpage or anyone i could contact to learn about the canadian joint task force, my fathers helps then train and just told me to find out on my own, i have tried but it is pretty hard to get information about the organization, any help would be appreciated, thnx alot

• 4 weeks later...

Okay I have a quick little question. I have horrible eyesight and I'll likely get laser-corrective surgery when I'm older. I'm just wondering what the eyesight requirement is for us Canadians looking into a career in the Army.

Also, I'm wondering if there's an additional fitness requirement other than the one on the main site. It seems to me that 6 pull ups, and, what was it? 16 push ups is a little less than I expected. I'm planning on joining the infantry if that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

wow, been a long time since i posted here.

i am an old member, stopped postin for a while like i said, i joined the Army. i am in infantry school right now as a matter a fact. we have a week long FTX(field training exercise), where we put all the thins we have learned in the past 11 and a half weeks and throw it together.

Eye surgery is free, from the Army, once your permanent party ( assigned to a unit), thing is, your put on a list, and have to wait.

I wont lie, its been a blast here, we've done soo much cool ######.. MOUT, we played with peq-4's and pvs-14's, our primary is the m16a4. theres more to it than that, but we all know thats some of the best parts, the toys.

we've had our hard times too, gettin "smoked" for 4 hours at a time, front back goes in rocks, all sortsa good ######. i'm sure other cycles have had it worse.

infantry school, is 14 weeks long, its your AIT and "basic" all wrapped up in one. Its really not all that bad, like i said, i've had a blast. hell, the worse part was reception, waitin for a damn week, gettin shots in your ass, that hurt like hell, and sleepin on the damn tile floor all day.

it all depends on what you want to do. infantry school is the route to get to most of the Army's "fighting" jobs, basic infantry units, big red one, 4th id, 3rd, 10th, 101(+ air assualt) 82nd(plus airborne) SF(plus about a year and a half of other ######, honestly, i wouldnt go SF unless you have some experience) Ranger, the whole 9 yards) yea, the whole bit about 212 ways to be a soldier is a lie, theres 2 jobs, the infantry, and those who support them.

anyway you do it, good luck. if you pick an elite field, just remember, dont quit, no matter what.

as for the GR community, i hope to come back sooner than later, i still have Airborne to go through and RIP, i'll be back after that.

I'm also a 15 year old thinking about enlisting in the army and making it a life long career. I currently live in Canada (roughly 30-40 mins from the American border) and I was wondering what steps I would have to take to be able to serve in the american army. :)

Get a green card, thats what you need to come down here and join the US forces.

Question: Why serve the US? Why not join the Canadian military, or sign up with the Brits?

Question: Why serve the US? Why not join the Canadian military, or sign up with the Brits?

I've always wanted to serve in the ranger regiment. Besides no disrespect to those serving in the Canadian military but it's a joke everyone laughs about it over here. Honestly what do we have ?? JTF-2 is roughly 200 guys while the states has thousands of more planes , soldiers , tanks , ships....everything. *Not to mention were not going to war ANYTIME soon*

the Canadian peacekeeping force is terribly understaffed. They do extremely important stuff under terrible conditions.

still, the Canadian Forces are very underfunded. They do well with what they have though.

go to where you think you will make the most positive difference. :)