Joining The Military

Guest Jester

Only thing I could think of is his references and possibly the psych exam. But he was in better shape than most cops. After seeing a few of em at the Virginia Tech scene, I gotta wonder if there's any physical requirements to be a cop cause seriously. One of em running with an AR-15 looked like John Candy. I dunno though. That could've just been the campus police but still I'd be embarrassed if I was that guy. Don't get me wrong though I don't hate cops. My mom's cousin is a cop in Baltimore. Good news though. I'm up to 122 pounds. Gained about 4 pounds so I'm slowly but surely on my way to being able to enlist.

Why be embarassed? He's doing the job, isn't he? I'll take a fat guy who's reliable and mature, over a cocky hotshot any day. Character is more important than physical fitness. Weight can be lost, strength can be built. But if you're an asswad or a liar, not much can be done about that. Some people are in great shape, but don't have the critical reasoning skills to make it.

Again, though, there are many places along the way where one can fall short in his endeavour to get into law enforcement. Unless you've been there (or are in the process now) you really haven't any idea of what goes on.

Edited by Parabellum

Well not all people who are in shape are cocky hotshots. My mom's cousin who is the cop in Baltimore is in great shape and he's mature. Character's a good thing but I think that job should require both character and physical fitness. Cause how are you gonna do that job if you're out of breath when running? And I know I'm not in the process of it. But I think law enforcement officers should have to meet physical and mental requirements every year. Not just when they get in. I have tremendous respect for law enforcement but when I saw that guy I just rolled my eyes.

Well not all people who are in shape are cocky hotshots. My mom's cousin who is the cop in Baltimore is in great shape and he's mature. Character's a good thing but I think that job should require both character and physical fitness. Cause how are you gonna do that job if you're out of breath when running? And I know I'm not in the process of it. But I think law enforcement officers should have to meet physical and mental requirements every year. Not just when they get in. I have tremendous respect for law enforcement but when I saw that guy I just rolled my eyes.

You do have a partial point; there are guys and girls out there who can't run half a block without keeling over. You also don't know -- is that officer on some type of ultimatum whereby he must lose x pounds by a certain date to keep his job? I've known that to happen. That said, aptitude is preferable to big muscles any day of the week. :) Aaaaaand.... back on topic we go. :)

Enjoy the distinct pleasure of making little blonde-haired college girls cry when you write them a fat ticket, after they try to flirt their way out of it. :)

...not that you have personally experienced yourself :whistle: Just locker talk right :whistle:

Enjoy the distinct pleasure of making little blonde-haired college girls cry when you write them a fat ticket, after they try to flirt their way out of it. :)

...not that you have personally experienced yourself :whistle: Just locker talk right :whistle:

No. I would never have done a thing like that. Ever. If I had, I certainly wouldn't have enjoyed it.

If one of your goals is to go to Ranger School, you need to go to Ranger Battalion. You will go to school and start your military career as a nco, then if you decide to move onto bigger and better things sf, or... the other option, hehe, but dont move backwards, as in go to the big army, your in the spec ops community, and when you join you will see what i mean, you wont wanna leave, youll see how much better you have it on a deployment than the legs do.

Im big on opsec so i wont mention anything here, but thats another thing, dont join for the fame of being a door kicker, they will root you out, cadre are trained to do that, you wanna be a door kicker and be on the front page join SWAT, if you wanna be the BEST light infantry unit this nation has to offer, go Ranger.

Just keep a strong mind through it, dont quit, may sound like a simple solution, but thats what i tell everyone. Trust me, youll see what i mean, i had people quit out of my RIP class over picking up tiny ass leaves until 3 am....

Now why the hell, after 2 of 4 weeks would you just up and quit, congrats, now that guy is doing year and a half long deployments with ###### heads that dont wanna be where theyre at (overseas, and yes, we WANT to be overseas) watching his back, ######ty equipment, ######ty living conditions, worse of all, ######ty missions.

Look at it the way i did, and its kinda mean, but youll get over it when your graduating RIP and going to Bat, the guy next to you aint no better than you, theres nothing he can do that you cant do better.

keep that mindset and youll amke it through anything thats thrown your way.

• Tier 1 Post 1

Ranger Marcinko...you see right through me. You're mindset is why I want to be a Special Operations soldier. The "anything is possible" mentality. I'm gonna have to ask my brother's wife about the Ranger she knew and see if you know him. He's up in the ranks now mostly training people. I'm definately not enlisting to be on the front page. Not one to seek fame and glory. Reason I'm gonna enlist is cause I "wanna be"(had to emphasize that) with the best. And Marcinko, I'm glad you said the Rangers are the best light infantry unit. Cause a lot of people have a mindset of this unit's the best or that one's the best. I look at it as each unit is the best at what they do. Rangers are best light infantry. SF is the best unconventional warfare unit which I think is training guerilla units and eventually fighting alongside of em. SEALs are best at direct ation. And PJ's are best at search and rescue. And Delta and Dev Group are best at what they do. But when they all work together, they are the best. Well I'm gonna go before this thing gets any bigger.

Ranger Marcinko...you see right through me. You're mindset is why I want to be a Special Operations soldier. The "anything is possible" mentality. I'm gonna have to ask my brother's wife about the Ranger she knew and see if you know him. He's up in the ranks now mostly training people. I'm definately not enlisting to be on the front page. Not one to seek fame and glory. Reason I'm gonna enlist is cause I "wanna be"(had to emphasize that) with the best. And Marcinko, I'm glad you said the Rangers are the best light infantry unit. Cause a lot of people have a mindset of this unit's the best or that one's the best. I look at it as each unit is the best at what they do. Rangers are best light infantry. SF is the best unconventional warfare unit which I think is training guerilla units and eventually fighting alongside of em. SEALs are best at direct ation. And PJ's are best at search and rescue. And Delta and Dev Group are best at what they do. But when they all work together, they are the best. Well I'm gonna go before this thing gets any bigger.

Your quite wrong in that aspect.

SF's primary mission is training other countries troops, ie, indig forces, not to say that there arent aspects of all these groups that play a roll in one specific mission, but thats about 1 security clearance higher than your ready for yet :)

oh, and after my back surgery(stupid f*in ieds), it wont be Ranger Marcinko anymore, it will be 18b Marcinko :)

Just stay motivated man, youll make it.

SF's primary mission is training other countries troops, ie, indig forces, not to say that there arent aspects of all these groups that play a roll in one specific mission, but thats about 1 security clearance higher than your ready for yet :)

oh, and after my back surgery(stupid f*in ieds), it wont be Ranger Marcinko anymore, it will be 18b Marcinko :)

So you decided to put in your packet, eh? Gratz bro. :) Maybe I'll bump into you next time I'm at Bragg.

not 18b yet guys, he he, dont jump the gun.

though sucess rate for Rangers who attend SFAS for my batallion thus far has been 100%

surgery first :)

You'll make it. :) When we were at Bragg with HF, he said you needed to just go ahead and put in your packet, because you were going to end up there anyway. :) They're waiting for you bro.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got some good news. I got a blood test for the second time to see if I might have Addison's Disease and it came back negative. I'm normal and go back again in 6 months. If that's the test where they hook me up to an IV for about two hours to pump salt water into me, I'm so gonna say "I want him on the Nemesis Program" cause last time I had all kinds of tubes hooked up to me and I felt like I was in Resident Evil. Reason I'm this here is cause I'm UNDER weight due to my metabolism for the military but once I get all this straightened out, I'm goin to the recruiting office and enlisting in the Army.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My old army buddy I went up through the ranks with (E1 to E5) called me up, and told me he is going through Special Forces training. Be my current boring situation...it sounds pretty interesting. Needless to say, I have definitely been throwing the idea around in my head.

Just had to get this out somewhere..

• 1 month later...

not 18b yet guys, he he, dont jump the gun.

though sucess rate for Rangers who attend SFAS for my batallion thus far has been 100%

surgery first :)

"Enjoy" SFAS mate! Then there's the fun stuff after that...and I'll add to what Para said the DS staff are a waitin mate..!

• 3 years later...

Actually, that is only one of several primary missions that compose our designated mission set. It seems to be the most discussed when in reality the lest several years it has been one of the least conducted. Usually this is due to the fact that it is often higher profile and more known, more visible. These are not to be confused with the core tasks.

Edited by Hatchetforce

• 6 months later...

If you have any leadership potential, your time in a military school will bring those qualities to the fore. Abiding by rules and a dress code instills a strict understanding of sensible discipline which can stand you in good stead for the rest of their life. Pride in your appearance is a daily occurrence.

Edited by superjake

• 9 years later...

Always wondered how Marcinko was doing. He went into the military a year or so before me. Never heard back after the back problems. 

None the less my experience was fairly unique. Went through basic then Airborne school and got sent to Alaska to be a part of 4th Brigade 25th Infantry and deployed with the 501st Airborne.

I did some jumping around between line companies and even the Brigade special troops battalion. 

The Infantry units in the late 2000s were very demanding and dare I say ruthless. Training included plenty of sleep deprivation, road marches,  drills and what you would expect from any fighting force. 

Conducting training in the alaskan winter conditions, snow shoes and skis weren't uncommon for field training events. Sleeping on beds made of tree branches with nothing more then the standard issue sleeping bag systems. 

If you do plan on joining keep one thing in mind. Its not how big you are. Its how big your heart is. 

Eventually l found myself in an Engineer/route clearance reserve unit. It wasn't the same animal but had a lot of similarities. 

If you ever do find yourself in combat you won't ever forget it. Brothers forever. No metals will ever mean as much to you as your men. 

Airborne All The Way. Geronimo! 

Edited by pz3
  • Like 1
  • Tier 1 Post 2