Wildlands Single Player Squad Control

Remember this awesome feature set from Ghost Recon?

In no particular order...

- Rules of Engagement (hold/react only/engage anything that moves)
- Set area of interest
- Set paths (using map overlay as in Ghost Recon, or point and click on landscape as in GRAW)
- Set character speed (stop/walk/run)
- Soul switching. For the love of tactical gaming, do not end the mission if Ghost Lead dies (like in GRAW).

Personally, setting out the paths and the areas of interest with a simple click and drag of the mouse button, for me, was what made the whole single player experience so immersive.

Is it unrealistic, or mandatory, to expect this level of control in Wildlands?

ghostrecon map planning
Edited by Rocky
  • Like 4

Alpha , holding position.  Bravo ,  advance , Charlie,  advance . Good old days when OGR was legit.  What an awesome feature it was , mandatory, I don't know , but what's to be realistic about?  I do hope it's in wildlands , I'm getting my hopes up again lol 

• Like 1

I like those features too. My only gripe with them was that the options were so limited that I couldn't really trust the AI with anything.

Hopefully they'll add in a nice drop-down box interface ala SWAT 4 so I can give orders to the rest of the team without having to deal with other hotkeys or the command map. 

Being realistic though, I don't think Ghost Recon Wildlands will bring any of these features. As simplified as they were in comparison to the planning phase from the original Rainbow Six games, Ubi is using the open world as selling point to the old fans.

Unfortunately (or not), they've been aiming for a broader audience since the Red Storm games got console versions and this means less depth. 

• Like 1

You should add your blog link to your profile here, I had to go hunting for it :)  Its a good read!

Thanks Rocky!  I keep meaning to add a Part 3, detailing how I'd like an average SP mission to play out, etc. If you get any more chances to chat to the devs, feel free to point them towards the blog as one of the places to get some ideas as to what the community may like to see in this revamped game! :D

Tim

I agree. It provides both quick, dynamic commands and more calculated options.

If we can order the other three squad members individually, I'd prefer the ability to split into maneuver teams of the player's choosing. Personally, I'd rather have a sniper on overwatch, two guys assaulting and me flanking/infiltrating, a sniper covering me and the other two, or just groups of two in general, than four isolated operators. 

And if the commands aren't on that level, I'd be happy with them being similar to those in Republic Commando. Context-sensitive commands would have to be different than RepCom though, since in that game the objects attached to specific commands - like sniper fire, anti-armor fire, or grenade cover - were specifically placed in each level.

The ideal system would be telling a squadmate, group, or your whole squad to go to a certain position by pressing a button, and then holding that button brings up a command menu (a wheel would work well) with some universal options, and some specific to location/cover/mission/squadmate role/equipment.

And for the command map, something mostly similar, but with the option to select specific squadmates, group/ungroup them, and set waypoints.

• Like 1

I'm rather dismayed by the 3rd person view. If you want true "immersion" you need 1st person to feel like you're "in the game" plus, first person view makes it more of a challenge to move slow, low and check situational awareness. But I'd say they are moving ahead with this game with a real attempt to recapture the essence of the original GR.

I'm a little concerned about the 4 man team. I'd be willing to compromise 2 or 3 , 4 man teams working in a team manner. that would work. perhaps even simply have a option to control how many 4 man teams to play. GRAW allowed for how many AI players. But having 2 - 4, 4 man teams would make for a greater possibility for competitions. I'm sure rocky misses reporting on competitions and results and new mods in development. Sorry for the simple design using photoshop but a menu option for COOP and MP game play, but to be as an idea in the game setup section.

b6cb9v.png

1st person view should be the standard if they want to aim for the realistic approach. I have no problem with 3rd person view if driving a vehicle or making a parachute jump; it's sometimes just nice to see yourself :-) but it should switch back automatically when leaving the vehicle or land on the ground.

Thinking ahead: it would be nice if at least the host of a multiplayer coop game can set it on 1st person view only for all players that join.

Have Ubisoft do a poll on 1st/3rd person view.

Best regards,

Koel

Remember this awesome feature set from Ghost Recon?

In no particular order...

- Rules of Engagement (hold/react only/engage anything that moves)
- Set area of interest
- Set paths (using map overlay as in Ghost Recon, or point and click on landscape as in GRAW)
- Set character speed (stop/walk/run)
- Soul switching. For the love of tactical gaming, do not end the mission if Ghost Lead dies (like in GRAW).

Personally, setting out the paths and the areas of interest with a simple click and drag of the mouse button, for me, was what made the whole single player experience so immersive.

Absolutely MANDATORY!!!!!

driving-gif.gif

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

ghostrecon map planning

Ahhhh...this old topic? A feature I've wanted on all GR PC successors.

So...once again...I'll say let's have this feature, and no, it's not 'unrealistic', Rocky.

I've really enjoyed SP, and completed all levels with a full team, before ever venturing into MP.

Long live GR.

DS

• Like 1

Yes Rocky, absolute control is not just necessary but required. Any military leader needs to have the control of actions on each objective.

move silent and quite, no shooting until fired on. every aspect is important . EVERY aspect needs to be controlled and planned by the mission leader.

What if Rocky were the mission leader? He'll need to tell me where as a sniper I need to setup a sniper hide. What my area of coverage is, who my target is, will rocky pop red smoke grenade to signal objective cleared? then I know to make my way to the road for a ride to my next position.

Total control has to in a military common sense must to be a non question. there are so many variables that a leader needs to have the ability to plan for.

Rocky's getting soft in his old age....