News Page Re-design

Rocky

With a new game in the series coming out I reckoned a face-lift at GhostRecon.net was in order! The new design is live now on the front page. :D

I've been working away at it for what seems like an age, but unless anyone spots something out of place, I am pretty sure it's ready to go.

Highlights.

• New Wider Width Format : More News Less Scrolling thanks to a new design taking advantage of todays most popular screen resolutions.
  • Mods Listings Enhanced
    Two mods listings now. The Mods database is massively popular, so I've two listings on the front page now, 1 with the latest additions, and 1 showing the all-time top downloads. There's more information there too, as a description line is added below each title.
  • News Archives Available
    At last, every news item is archived automatically, right back to 2001 when we started! If you are looking for a news item you saw a while back, now you can find it easily.
  • All New Coding
    Totally recoded front page means faster loading and more compliant code. The new code is more than 50% smaller than the old page!
  • News Categories Steam-lined
    New streamlined news categories plus an all new one for "Other News" detailing gaming industry buzz.

Hope you like it. :D

If you've already forgotten what the old one looked like, and are frustrated because you can't figure what's changed exactly, I've preserved it here for a short while.

This is just the start though. The rest of the site will follow suit shortly - including ALL NEW FORUMS. In the background I've recently ran a full beta test on new forums that was very successful. NYR is preparing a brand new skin and to make all you regulars feel at home I've planned some more familiar skins for you too. This is a massive update, over half a million posts preserved and presented in brand new feature packed forums.

There's more after that, but I'll keep it under wraps for now... :ph34r:

Thanks for the feedback :D

Anyway to make it autoresize just a little more? on a netbook you have to scroll and inch to the right (Netbook with a 1200x900 res)

Not sure I understand. The page width is a few pixels over 1000 I think, so on a 1200 wide screen, there should be no scrolling.

Hay Rocky. Got up early this morning to go to work, fired up the website and....WOW (blink! blink!) What's this?

Well I guess that I'm the exception to the generally favorable reaction found in this thread. There is just no way that I can say this without sounding grumpy or whiney and I sure don't want you to take it that way but you wanted feedback so here goes.

As you read this, keep in mind that this is the gut reaction of someone who is still half asleep and has not yet finished his first cup of coffee.

1)....The color is kind of blah, but if this is the color that UBI has chosen for the new game then by all means stick with it. Also, there is too much of that one color and not enough other brighter contrasting colors on the page. Maybe use the old recon green to put borders around all the boxes of the different items? The colors I'm looking at now as I write this.

2)...Kestrel says that the new format is easy to read. Don't know how he figures that. To these old eyes, your post "Posted by Rocky on Thursday March 4, 2010" and "VG27 are reporting" just do not have enough contrast from the background color to pick out easily.

The rest looks good. The game evolves and so should this website.

Again, don't take this as a gripe session but rather just something that struck me as I look at it through sleep filled eyes.

And I do appreciate that you must have spent a god-awful bunch of hours working on it to bring us the new look.(and here I am asking you to do even more work). ;)

The rest of you Ghosts.......feel free to beat up on me here as I probably deserve it.

OldGhost.

2)...Kestrel says that the new format is easy to read. Don't know how he figures that. To these old eyes, your post "Posted by Rocky on Thursday March 4, 2010" and "VG27 are reporting" just do not have enough contrast from the background color to pick out easily.

You are right the links need a new colour, I am working on that. The "posted by" is deliberately lacking in contrast though because it shouldn't detract the eye from the main news story. It's only there for if you are specifically needing to check the post date.

I have a colour tool ready to rock so expect a new link colour over the weekend.

Thanks for the feedback!