Ubi forums takes a turn for the worse

krise madsen

Just found out today:

Colin is leaving the Ubi forums

As a moderator, Colin managed to tranform the GR forums from total chaos to a degree of order and structure, and I wouldn't be surprised if they now slide back into senseless anarchy.

However, Colin also did a lot to promote a return to the old school [GR] type of game. It was always a longshot I suppose, but with Colin leaving the last glimmer of hope for the GR franchise as a tactical game seem to have vanished. Since there is no other reason for me to visit the Ubi forums, I'll be leaving as well.

Respectfully

krise madsen

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Krise while there is no question Colin put a lot of work and effort into the forums his absense does not mean the communities opinions stop being heard. If you no longer wish to visit the forums that is your choice but if its because you feel you wont be heard in his absense you are mistaken

I left the Ubi forums a long time ago because there was never any news on there. Just a lot of rambling. That's when I saw GR.net and never went back to the ubi forums. GR.net has done a much better job at getting news out on patches, game releases, etc.

Whilst I would agree that was the case things are changing, the recent patch for example the release of which was announced on the ubi forums and then posted here immediatly after so the forum community there and here had the confirmed release date ahead of any other news source.

Its a slow road to perfection but things are changing :thumbsup:

I go to the UBI forum maybe (there's that magic word, Maybe) once a week, if I think of it. This forum is more informative than the UBI one and a heck of a lot friendlier.

Where else in the world can you go to a forum that covers all the games by that franchise? Where else is there a forum that throws in a section of humor and up to date military information? Many thanks go to Rocky and his gang that make this site one of the best on the internet. :rocky:

Hi just to clear up any bad feeling.

The Ubisoft forums have some really nice members and I really dont think its nice to make remarks about them or the forum.

We for the most part wanted the same thing in 2004 and came close on occasion to getting it.

Both this forum and Ubi and I might add many others tried to revive our old Tactical game. in no certain terms told the powers that be why,how and what was needed.

Most of it fell on deaf ears.

There are new staff within the GR community now that will I expect try and communicate to the new breed of player and maybe the old.

But its too late for a lot of us the company had a chance over a 2 year period and really blew it for most of us.

The old community as we knew it is now pretty much dead and I really dont see any change that will bring Ubisoft or another GR game back to a time when we see what happened between 2001 and 2003.

The console version of the game has done well, but the PC version well we know the current state.

I loved working over at the Ubi forum it is a good place to visit and ties between this site and that one, I hope are better now than they were.

I want a game that will bring back a large community, that in turn creates, Teams/Servers Places for us to come and chat,post, laugh until we cry, above all a game that will last the test of time like Ghost Recon.

I really want to see the old community come back to life, with modders modding, players playing, and server admins moaning, as they do.

This will not happen if it stays with Ubisoft, so my departure only reflects this statment.

I feel I have done my bit but like the post says it is indeed time to move on, another Dev Team/Publisher in the hope that our wishes will be answered with a new game.

I know how some of you feel about the Ubi forums but Like I said they have some really nice members, who like you need help and some times guidance be nice please.

While I am not a moderator at the Ubi GR forums like I am at the SC forums, I do drop by and can take action if neccessary should anyone get out of line.

I agree with Colin, the PC gamers and versions have been ###### upon by Ubi, but as he said, there are still some good members over there, me included. Do I wish a return to what made GR so great to begin with? Yes. Do I think it will happen? No. Just remember, we may end up having the last laugh on Ubi when GB is released and Ubi's stockholders wonder why the return on their investment isn't happening.

The important question now is Rocky gonna rename this site since UBI most likely isn't gonna produce anything worth a damn?

Well, it is getting harder and harder to support this franchise, even for a stubborn old git like me these days. You have to think if Ubisoft wonder why such a highly acclaimed series only has one fully functioning "fan" site these days. The sad thing is, indications are that not only do they not know why, they don't really seem to care why, that's the worrying thing.

That one of the major players in what is now the most valuable sector of the entire entertainment industry, carry on in such a disorganised apparantly disfunctional fashion at times does tend to amaze me. When you've got fans swearing they'll never buy another Ubisoft product and rumours that GRIN departed with a similar "never again" regret, you'd think we might see a positive reaction of some sort, alas no.

I can feel this starting to develop into a rant I've been putting off for sometime now, so I'll take a chill pill for now and return to the original question about renaming the site. We could probably have a fun competition that would come up with all sorts of amusing domain names, but at the end of the day, you all know, for better and (mostly) worst, GR.net will be here covering the GR series come hell and high water. Having said that, the sub forums for other games and subject matter that we opened up have been really succesful, so we'll continue to branch ( :ph34r: ) out, but it'll always be a Ghost Recon header :thumbsup:

<------------ Persistant Optimist.

GR.net will be here covering the GR series come hell and high water.

It doesn`t really matter what is going on. PC Games this and that, a decline in any relevant situation. There are going to be people playing GR1/GRAW1/GRAW2 and all the console stuff, for many years. There may not be many in some areas, but they still need somewhere, just like we all do.

Replying to Ubi forums takes a turn for the worse

Colin will be missed indeed, and we all know him enough to understand, but flaming ubi is pointless.

:thumbsup:

The important question now is Rocky gonna rename this site since UBI most likely isn't gonna produce anything worth a damn?

Well, it is getting harder and harder to support this franchise, even for a stubborn old git like me these days. You have to think if Ubisoft wonder why such a highly acclaimed series only has one fully functioning "fan" site these days. The sad thing is, indications are that not only do they not know why, they don't really seem to care why, that's the worrying thing.

That one of the major players in what is now the most valuable sector of the entire entertainment industry, carry on in such a disorganised apparantly disfunctional fashion at times does tend to amaze me. When you've got fans swearing they'll never buy another Ubisoft product and rumours that GRIN departed with a similar "never again" regret, you'd think we might see a positive reaction of some sort, alas no.

I can feel this starting to develop into a rant I've been putting off for sometime now, so I'll take a chill pill for now and return to the original question about renaming the site. We could probably have a fun competition that would come up with all sorts of amusing domain names, but at the end of the day, you all know, for better and (mostly) worst, GR.net will be here covering the GR series come hell and high water. Having said that, the sub forums for other games and subject matter that we opened up have been really succesful, so we'll continue to branch ( :ph34r: ) out, but it'll always be a Ghost Recon header :thumbsup:

<------------ Persistant Optimist.

instead of being a one gam esite, maybe a general gaming site?

I don't see a need to rename THIS site, and I'm not really even sure WHERE that came from. If it was GRAW.net, maybe. But this site is GhostRecon.net- all things GR are in here. [GR], GR2, GRAW and GRAW2, for all platforms (if there were an Intellivision version of GRAW, I'm sure we'd have a forum for it here). Even the (now closed) forum for discussion of GR2-PC is still here for all of us to read. There's a lot going on here.

GREAT modders are still hard at work on all three PC episodes of GR (not sure if you CAN mod the console versions...). There are tournaments in the works. Matches. G2G's. Maybe nothing on the scale of the heyday of [GR], but it's far from a dead site.

Rename? Pfft. Hardly. As long as Rocky and his staff continue to run the tight ship we've come to know and love, I'm sure it can continue to float happily along...

I don't see a need to rename THIS site, and I'm not really even sure WHERE that came from. If it was GRAW.net, maybe. But this site is GhostRecon.net- all things GR are in here. [GR], GR2, GRAW and GRAW2, for all platforms (if there were an Intellivision version of GRAW, I'm sure we'd have a forum for it here). Even the (now closed) forum for discussion of GR2-PC is still here for all of us to read. There's a lot going on here.

GREAT modders are still hard at work on all three PC episodes of GR (not sure if you CAN mod the console versions...). There are tournaments in the works. Matches. G2G's. Maybe nothing on the scale of the heyday of [GR], but it's far from a dead site.

Rename? Pfft. Hardly. As long as Rocky and his staff continue to run the tight ship we've come to know and love, I'm sure it can continue to float happily along...

This isn't coming from me but, from an outsider look, I would think by some of the comments lead me to believe that the "GR" franchise is over or will never be what it was.

But Rocky can maintain a "gamer relevent" website by just covering the bigger games or games in general.

Krise while there is no question Colin put a lot of work and effort into the forums his absense does not mean the communities opinions stop being heard. If you no longer wish to visit the forums that is your choice but if its because you feel you wont be heard in his absense you are mistaken

Just to avoid any misunderstandings: I'm not slamming the door on my way out. I hope you can retain the much improved forum standards (though they're still well away from GR.net standards) and I hope everyone visiting the Ubi GR forums enjoy their stay.

I only signed up on the Ubi forums to offer my input and support Colin's efforts towards returning the Ghost Recon franchise to its roots. I posted in his threads on the subject and participated in his polls. I always considered it a bit of a long shot, but I gave it my best shot at providing contructive input as to what such a return-to-roots would entail. And I know I was heard, not the least by Colin.

Colin leaving signifies that this return to roots isn't going to happen, and thereby I don't have anything more to contribute on the Ubi forums. I can't offer any techical help (to those "my PC won't run GRAW" posts) because I'm a ###### with a PC. I don't play MP so I don't have anything to offer in that department. And there are plenty of other people who can offer more and better help and advice on the SP and co-op elements than me. I was on the Ubi forums for one thing: Getting the Ghost Recon back to its roots. That's not going to happen so there is no point in me visiting there any more.

It may not be the end of days, but loosing an asset like Colin is a turn for the worse no matter how you look at it.

Respectfully

krise madsen

The only constant around here has been this (Rocky's) site. It has been the UBI people that have moved away from us.

I rarely visit the UBI forums anymore. Not much in the way of new-information.

Really sorry to see Colin leave. He was a breath of fresh air on those forums. Good moderator.

Good luck to him. Did I see a "Blackfoot Studio" logo in his sig...........? :thumbsup:

Not much in the way of new-information.

I see this kind of comment pop up frequently and I have to say I think its a shame. The recent patch news in particular was announced first on the Ubisoft forums, the news only got here as fast as it did because I took the time to post it here straight after, it just strikes me that what some are suggesting is because people like myself and Kimi take the time to post information here we are in your eyes reaffirming the lacking value of the Ubisoft forums. That looks like a lose lose situation to me ;)

the news only got here as fast as it did because I took the time to post it here straight after

Actually forum member kilbil posted it here the same time you did, you were first by a grand total of 8 seconds ;)

but your post did have a bit more info and was nicely formatted :P

the news only got here as fast as it did because I took the time to post it here straight after

Actually forum member kilbil posted it here the same time you did, you were first by a grand total of 8 seconds ;)

but your post did have a bit more info and was nicely formatted :P

Well Ok i'll put it this way...... Had I not posted it on Ubi would kilbil have had the information to post in the first place? :P