HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray

WhiteKnight77

As I was in Wal-Mart this morning purchasing a curtain rod for my new curtains, I thought about getting a new HD movie and the pickings were slim as in sold out compared to the Blu-Ray movies. Has anyone else noticed that there seem to be more Blu-Ray movies sitting on the shelf at their regular stores compared to HD DVD?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed that out mom-n-pop video stored switched to Blu-Ray also...seems not too many ppl ownd a HD-DVD player since the selection were slim.

Ever since getting the PS3, we've been fixated with getting all free Blu-Ray offers.

I rather not start with it, since I can't take it on the road/work.

It should start picking up next year since more n more stores, especially BlockBuster opted with Blu-ray. :thumbsup:

We were in Target and they had a pretty big selection of HD DVD. It was kind of nice

Blockbuster online carries both blue ray and HD dvd and will supposedly start carrying HD DVD in the store as well. Number of pages of blue ray movies online = 30, Number of pages of HD DVD movies online =30. Pretty much equal.

Don't really know who is going to win the format war but it kinda stinks when a movie comes out in blu ray and you have an HD dvd player or vice versa.

CPL, didn't you get a thing for 5 free blu ray movies when you bought your ps3? I'd send that in right away man.

Sad part is, is that i still prefer DVD's. Bluray and HDDVD movies are to much money. I like the $15 to $20 range price, not the new $30+ range. I have seen both Bluray and HDDVD movies run on my HDTV and nether of them make DVDs look that bad where i have to switch. I mean really unless your a diehard movie buff DVDs still look damn good and the prices are getting really cheap. I think i will wait for a clear winner and hopefully the prices drop down to around $20 a movie and i will switch. Until than im not switching what aint broken. It is not like the old days of VHS vs DVD thats for sure!

You don't need to buy HD DVD (or blue-ray) to get high resolution looking pictures. The other day, I had my normal DVD in my HD-DVD player, hooked up to my HD TV and it was being pumped out at 1080i. So sweet!

As long as I can upconvert by normal DVDs, I don't see a need to buy HD-DVDs.

I am sure that with Wal-Mart having huge sales on Toshiba HD DVD players just recently put a lot more of the players on the market (they had 2 sales within a month of each other). Sure, the PS3 can play the Blu-Ray movies, but while they have sold quite a few of the4 PS3's of late, it does not seem that they are selling a lot of movies. My local Best Buy had a really large selection of both kinds of movies and it appears that both sell rather equally there. Maybe next time I am in I will ask which sells better.

MS and those who sell HD DVD players also have the 5 free movies deal. I have mine ordered and expect them in a few more weeks. I want to watch The Thing again.

CPL, didn't you get a thing for 5 free blu ray movies when you bought your ps3? I'd send that in right away man.

If its free, I'm on it like white on rice :rofl: ...Monster Cable has some kind of Disney Blu-Ray free stuff too...sent those in too. :thumbsup:

Picked up X-men3 and 5th Element also at local Fry's for $13 bucks each. :D

I don't know if anyone here follows any of the deals at fatwallet.com but this is a pretty good thread here that I like to watch to find deals on HD DVDs. Right before the holidays the page had a ton of deals. Amazon had a ton HD DVD's at the time for below $19.

If its free, I'm on it like white on rice

Try this CPL. http://www.bluraysavings.com/

Click on the printable coupon thing at the bottom and follow whatever steps it tells you on how to get your free movies. I'm not too familiar with it so I'm not sure if your going to need anything from best buy but I'm sure your receipt should be enough.

You don't need to buy HD DVD (or blue-ray) to get high resolution looking pictures. The other day, I had my normal DVD in my HD-DVD player, hooked up to my HD TV and it was being pumped out at 1080i. So sweet!

As long as I can upconvert by normal DVDs, I don't see a need to buy HD-DVDs.

The truth of the matter is, these new supposed formats were to be an enhancement to better view quality. Really though, it was a new way just for the big movie industry to try and stop piracy.

the same day that Blueray came out, then the encryption was hacked.

link: http://www.dealerscope.com/story/story_en....var=story#46024

Sad part is, is that i still prefer DVD's.

I agree. At no point during a good quality standard DVD production do I find myself thinking there is *anything* wrong with the picture quality. So there really is no incentive to start upgrading hardware, and enduring a more expensive medium.

The truth of the matter is, these new supposed formats were to be an enhancement to better view quality. Really though, it was a new way just for the big movie industry to try and stop piracy.

Yes, that and making film fans buy movies they had already bought again.

I went to a different Wal-Mart today and checked out the HD DVD movie supply and they had a few more in stock. I even asked what their biggest seller is, HD DVD or Blu-Ray, and the answer was, HD DVD. Now that may be indicative of Wal-Marts clientel, but that could also mean that HD seems to be more prevelant. I really need to get to Best Buy and ask around there.

I was always under the impression that a DVD was supposed to be hi-def anyways. Some of the same selling points of hi-def DVD was used for DVD and yet, very few movies make use of those features for even the most basic of releases. If you buy a collectors edition or special edition, yeah you get more, but what about various angles. Only one DVD I own have multiple angles and I can't remember right off which one it is. I believe it is a concert video, but not a regular movie. Even with movies being made in the DVD era, film makers seem to not include multiple angles in the DVD releases.

• 2 weeks later...

Possible inside story why Warner went with Blu-Ray:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08012/848675-96.stm

Obviously, they had decided to change -- they just didn't know the direction. Given their long partnership, Warner gave Toshiba an opportunity to lure a Blu-ray studio to HD DVD, in which case they would go HD DVD exclusive and give HD DVD a clear studio advantage. A deal was nearly secured with Fox, which had been having trouble with Blu-ray disc production due to the lack of manufacturing infrastructure. At the 11th hour, Fox went to Sony with its concerns and received a reported $120 million payout to stay with Blu-ray.

With no studio joining them on the HD DVD side, Warner's hand was forced and it went with Blu-ray, receiving a reported $500 million for doing so.

Personally, I was hoping that HD-DVD would win - just don't like the idea of one company (Sony) calling the shots. The writer had this to say too:

My mind and my heart were in agreement that HD DVD was the way to go. To not recommend HD DVD would not be true to my own convictions, and it would be unfair of me to not recognize Toshiba's accomplishment in bringing an affordable, fully developed product to market.

I have to call BS on that article abour Warner being paid off, and I make that call for several reasons. First, if this is so true whay hasn't digging by a much larger, more able news service turned up the same info and more detailed info?

Second, this wasn't a blindside. Warner stated before the Christmas season began that they wanted the format war to end that it was bad for the consumer. They stated they would look at holiday sales and make an announcement. They did, and well, they did. No surprise considering the sales.

Finally, I highly doubt the head of Warner is going to stand up in public and say "We didn't receive any money for this shift" which had already been discussed before Christmas, and then have to explain to investors, the SEC, and the IRS where 500 mil came from. No, this sounds like nothing more than some very sore people.

Sony had the trojan horse (PS3) and they knew it. On the other hand, in their chase for cheap as possible out the door first, MS made the mistake of not including an HD player in the 360. This likely cost Toshiba and the HD DVD group the war. Paramount just announced they will continue to support HD DVD. What they didn't say was they would remain exclusive. Their board of directors and stockholders are not going to let them sit by while people are returning HD DVD players to the store ( I was in Best Buy yesterday and saw 2 brought back in 10 minutes and not for technical reasons) or watch as PS3 sales climb and the Bluray gap expands. And the gap is growing.

According to Nielsen, Bluray beat HD DVD last week 85% to 15%. The top HD DVD seller, The Kingdom sold just 10% as many copies as the top Bluray seller, 3:10 to Yuma.

Just so you are aware, Sony isn't calling the shots by themselves on Bluray. The founding Bluray group consists of Matsu######a, Pioneer, Philips, Thomson, LG Electronics, Hitachi, Sharp, Samsung, and Sony.

The format shows more promise. Hitachi has tested a 100GB Bluray disc readible on current players with a 200GB having been operational since January. Add Bluray profile 1.1 just released and the format has a very solid future.

Besides, would you rather have one of the major HD DVD players, Microsoft calling the shots?

I have to call BS on that article abour Warner being paid off, and I make that call for several reasons. First, if this is so true whay hasn't digging by a much larger, more able news service turned up the same info and more detailed info?

Just so you are aware, Sony isn't calling the shots by themselves on Bluray. The founding Bluray group consists of Matsu######a, Pioneer, Philips, Thomson, LG Electronics, Hitachi, Sharp, Samsung, and Sony.

Good points HF. I too am doubting how legit the article is since none of the other major electronics news outlets has reported anything similar to this.

Thanks for the info about the Blu-ray group - I did a bit more reading about the Blu-ray association and it's reassuring that other companies like Apple, TDK, Panasonic, HP are helping to guide the standard. Like WK said about the rootkits, some of Sony's methods in the past have left a bad taste. It seems other initial promising benefits of HD-DVD like no region codes, backwards compatiblity etc have all been mitigated by Blu-ray

Another note: if we are to believe Steve Jobs at this week's MacWorld, he thinks the format war is irrelevant now as we'll all be downloading HD movies from iTunes :rolleyes: To an extent he's already right with many young people I know have their HD's packed with DVD rips via torrents and nary a cent spent on buying/renting existing DVDs.

Sony is just getting back at the industry for the BetaMax <_<

LOL. In terms of consumer electronics, I'm a pretty late adopter so I'm happy to still use my VCR & my old CRT TV until more dust settles in the HD war :P

Until broadband is everywhere and free and until I can download a product and then always have it and be able to play it on any machine and at a moments notice, Steve Jobs won't get his way. He can claim all he wants and there will be people that will DL material - they are doing it now - but not even the next gen of consoles or movie players will be digital download only. There are just too many obstacles to resolve between now and the time a company has to make a design commitment.

Remember, Microsoft is in a very very bad spot. They have to get a new machine out the door within 3 years. They have to decide on a design before then. They better have learned their lesson about insufficient testing. They are looking at a machine that will be the first to be obsolete this gen. They have to make a design commitment roughly 2 years ahead of Sony when technology isn't mature enough to get them away from having to license Bluray. I just wouldn't bet on their future right now.