GR2 and GR:AW

I was just reading through some of the posts (old and new) on all the topics/forums on this website and I have concluded that the anger against GR:AW could be related to Ubisoft cancelling GR2 for the PC. I know I was disappointed and looking forward to GR:AW.

I tried GR2 on an Xbox, but I don't like the hand held game pad compared to a Keyboard and mouse for a FPS/Tactical shooter. I did however, play it long enough to realise it wasn't [GR] 1. All the arguements "for" and "against" GR:AW would have been settled if Ubisoft would have let GR2 for the PC to continue and be "published" In GR2 if "Mitchell" dies/game over.

Don't blame GRiN for Ubisoft's folly. Be thankful that there was some one out there who was willing to take GR:AW on for the PC. I know I am.

I was just reading through some of the posts (old and new) on all the topics/forums on this website and I have concluded that the anger against GR:AW could be related to Ubisoft cancelling GR2 for the PC. I know I was disappointed and looking forward to GR:AW.

I tried GR2 on an Xbox, but I don't like the hand held game pad compared to a Keyboard and mouse for a FPS/Tactical shooter. I did however, play it long enough to realise it wasn't [GR] 1. All the arguements "for" and "against" GR:AW would have been settled if Ubisoft would have let GR2 for the PC to continue and be "published" In GR2 if "Mitchell" dies/game over.

Don't blame GRiN for Ubisoft's folly. Be thankful that there was some one out there who was willing to take GR:AW on for the PC. I know I am.

hey, yes, its quite obvious that part of the anger towards GRAW is directly linked to the cancellation of gr2 PC but it would probably be quite unfair to our players to say thats the entire reason. Some of them(im not mentioning any names Ruggy and prozac!) felt that it wasnt what they had hoped for after 5 years of waiting(and no, we havent worked on graw for 5 years...:) since [GR] came out and that ubi(and in effect, Grin) have let them down, however I dont agree with some of the "haters" as I believe its everyones personal responsibility to make sure that they buy products that suits them, but I respect their frustration as most of us has been in the position of being a disapointed customer at some point, and we all want great computer games to have fun with!:)

(I just have to add for the record, so I dont get ubisoft on my tail, that I actully, truly , think that GRAW is a really good game, even with, as stated so many times before, not as much MP content that some of old-school ogrs would have wanted!:)

cheerio!

hey, yes, its quite obvious that part of the anger towards GRAW is directly linked to the cancellation of gr2 PC but it would probably be quite unfair to our players to say thats the entire reason. Some of them(im not mentioning any names Ruggy and prozac!) felt that it wasnt what they had hoped for after 5 years of waiting(and no, we havent worked on graw for 5 years...:) since [GR] came out and that ubi(and in effect, Grin) have let them down, however I dont agree with some of the "haters" as I believe its everyones personal responsibility to make sure that they buy products that suits them, but I respect their frustration as most of us has been in the position of being a disapointed customer at some point, and we all want great computer games to have fun with!:)

(I just have to add for the record, so I dont get ubisoft on my tail, that I actully, truly , think that GRAW is a really good game, even with, as stated so many times before, not as much MP content that some of old-school ogrs would have wanted!:)

cheerio!

That is fine, but I DO beleive that GR:AW is a great game. And it is a "step" up from [GR] 1. I think GRiN did a fantastic job, especially for the short time frame!

I think that some people need to think "forward" and "backward". If [GR] 1 is what they want, they can still play it! In fact I just downloaded a game, made by modders, for [GR] 1. Here, maybe is what the [GR] 1 stallwarts need.

I am very pleased with how GRiN made GR:AW, and I believe it is fitting that it received the "Ghosr Recon" title! :grin3:

cheerio!

That is fine, but I DO beleive that GR:AW is a great game. And it is a "step" up from [GR] 1. I think GRiN did a fantastic job, especially for the short time frame!

I think that some people need to think "forward" and "backward". If [GR] 1 is what they want, they can still play it! In fact I just downloaded a game, made by modders, for [GR] 1. Here, maybe is what the [GR] 1 stallwarts need.

I am very pleased with how GRiN made GR:AW, and I believe it is fitting that it received the "Ghosr Recon" title! :grin3:

Meant to say "not backwards". See I don't even know the regular keyboard that well. Just think how much I would "suck" at MP! LOL :rofl:

cheerio!

Takes Grin_wille off the ban list for mentioning Rugg and prozac ;)

I like GRAW. at 1st i didn't because i compared it directly to the GR1 style i was used to. But... after i got over that, i am having a blast and with every additional patch 5% or more of a blast (TDM actually increased it about 20%)

cheerio!

Takes Grin_wille off the ban list for mentioning Rugg and prozac ;)

I like GRAW. at 1st i didn't because i compared it directly to the GR1 style i was used to. But... after i got over that, i am having a blast and with every additional patch 5% or more of a blast (TDM actually increased it about 20%)

That is what I am writing about. It is almost the same as getting one of your kids to try something that they know isn't the same as an "original". They will fight, scream, claw and bite" before they try it. And 9 out of 10 times, they enjoy it. So, like in the commercial, "Try it, you'll like it!" :grin1:

[GR] is a one of a kind game ,I never expected GRAW to replace it. Other then improved Graphics what was any body going to do with it that the GR modding community hasn't allready done and still is for that matter. Thats why I don't go on forum rants like the aforemented guys.GRAW is a great game that fits in very nicely beside [GR]. I really could care less what was said ,promised or done If I like the game ...That stuff gets in the way of enjoying myself and that is why I play, to relax and enjoy myself. I have gotten my moneys worth out of GRAW several times over .

I think that some people need to think "forward" and "not backward". If [GR] 1 is what they want, they can still play it! In fact I just downloaded a game, made by modders, for [GR] 1. Here, maybe is what the [GR] 1 stallwarts need.

I was thinking forward when I was waiting for GR2 and GR:AW. I was eagerly awaiting an evolved Ghost Recon experience and I thought we were going to get it when Ubisoft cancelled 2 infavor of 3. They told us the wait would be worth it, so I trusted that. But the problem is the forward progression isn't in the version I bought for PC. From what I've heard GR2 PC was shaping up nicely, very nicely and 360 MP brought GR to the next level. GR:AW PC IMO isn't even in the same family of games, much like the other non-RSE produced titles in the series. I still don't hesistate to say, the only games in the series that are Ghost Recon, are the ones produced by Red Storm.

So what was I looking forward to in GR:AW, or GR2 for that matter? More players in online coop for starters. I mean both Summit Strike and GR:AW 360 support 16 players, out of the box. I was expecting PC to be the same or moddable within a reasonable time frame.

Also, a "grown up" version of IGOR (I'd still kill to just even Stone Ed) was another thing I was eagerly awaiting. I know GRIN's tools wouldn't be the same, but I was expecting something to play with. RSE's properitary game editors ship with their games, we're still waiting for scripting tools for GR:AW PC . Sadly its come to the point where I'm not even going to bother learning GRIN's tool(s) if or when they arrive. Scripting became an obsession for me with GR1, for GR:AW PC I don't have any inclination. GRIN's tools might be easier, or more powerful, but the fun factor is not high enough for me to be bothered.

There are other things, but I won't even bother right now.

Some people love GR:AW, others like it a little bit, some totaly despise it, and some flat out refuse to purchase it. We all have our reasons for feeling how we do. I'm going sit here and see what the future brings, if MP pack 3 makes the game fun for me, I'll play it more. But if it doesn't, I won't hesitate to put GR:AW PC on the shelf in awhile and pick up a copy of GR:AW 360.

People may argue that GRIN didn't have enough time to complete their title, or lacked the resources. But to me, none of that matters. I was looking for that evolved, fun, GR experience for 2006. At this point in time GR:AW PC does not provide that, the soul of the game is what is lacking, not the pretty stuff on the outside. Even if there were no 360 MP, or a GR2 PC build sitting around collecting dust, I'm pretty sure I'd still feel the same about this game.

I think that some people need to think "forward" and "not backward". If [GR] 1 is what they want, they can still play it! In fact I just downloaded a game, made by modders, for [GR] 1. Here, maybe is what the [GR] 1 stallwarts need.

I was thinking forward when I was waiting for GR2 and GR:AW. I was eagerly awaiting an evolved Ghost Recon experience and I thought we were going to get it when Ubisoft cancelled 2 infavor of 3. They told us the wait would be worth it, so I trusted that. But the problem is the forward progression isn't in the version I bought for PC. From what I've heard GR2 PC was shaping up nicely, very nicely and 360 MP brought GR to the next level. GR:AW PC IMO isn't even in the same family of games, much like the other non-RSE produced titles in the series. I still don't hesistate to say, the only games in the series that are Ghost Recon, are the ones produced by Red Storm.

So what was I looking forward to in GR:AW, or GR2 for that matter? More players in online coop for starters. I mean both Summit Strike and GR:AW 360 support 16 players, out of the box. I was expecting PC to be the same or moddable within a reasonable time frame.

Also, a "grown up" version of IGOR (I'd still kill to just even Stone Ed) was another thing I was eagerly awaiting. I know GRIN's tools wouldn't be the same, but I was expecting something to play with. RSE's properitary game editors ship with their games, we're still waiting for scripting tools for GR:AW PC . Sadly its come to the point where I'm not even going to bother learning GRIN's tool(s) if or when they arrive. Scripting became an obsession for me with GR1, for GR:AW PC I don't have any inclination. GRIN's tools might be easier, or more powerful, but the fun factor is not high enough for me to be bothered.

Some people love GR:AW, others like it a little bit, some totaly despise it, and some flat out refuse to purchase it. We all have our reasons for feeling how we do. I'm going sit here and see what the future brings, if MP pack 3 makes the game fun for me, I'll play it more. But if it doesn't, I won't hesitate to put GR:AW PC on the shelf in awhile and pick up a copy of GR:AW 360.

People may argue that GRIN didn't have enough time to complete their title, or lacked the resources. But to me, none of that matters. I was looking for that evolved, fun, GR experience for 2006. At this point in time GR:AW PC does not provide that, the soul of the game is what is lacking, not the pretty stuff on the outside. Even if there were no 360 MP, or a GR2 PC build sitting around collecting dust, I'm pretty sure I'd still feel the same about this game.

I really feel bad for those [GR] peeps like yourself that cant look past [GR]. You are looking for something in this game and its just not there. I really wish you could see the game through my eyes. As someone who has never played [GR], i find it easy to love this game.

Grin tried to give you what you wanted but for whatever reason it didnt happen. I dont know Grin well enough but maybe if they had the lust for [GR] that some of you guys have then it would have turned out different. Hopefully Graw will turn out to be something that you can like, even if its not like [GR]. If not...the GRAW community will move on but will have lost some good peeps along the way.

I've played [GR] since it's inception and loved it lots.... Now, I find myself with GRAW, and love it even more... I've played the two, and accept each for what they are.... Certainly, one cannot think that GRAW was ever gonna be like [GR]!!! I never did... Have to consider the technological advances since [GR]... I knew the graphics would be advanced as they are... AND I for one am happy about it....

Got a can of Copenhagen Black/Bourbon-any one want it-I am going back to Copenhagen Original Snuff. In other words some bad habits never change, but our taste for those habits will never.

Good game keep up the hard work.

NOX

Pulling the little yellow bus to the service station. Hey Bo looks like you need the excercise want to help?

I really feel bad for those [GR] peeps like yourself that cant look past [GR]. You are looking for something in this game and its just not there. I really wish you could see the game through my eyes. As someone who has never played [GR], i find it easy to love this game.

Ghost Recon: Gold Edition

Beg, borrow, or steal a copy and then check out the Modding section for that version on this site and you might begin to see where they are coming from. A point of reference is a good place to start!

Be well :thumbsup:

Ghost Recon: Gold Edition

Beg, borrow, or steal a copy and then check out the Modding section for that version on this site and you might begin to see where they are coming from. A point of reference is a good place to start!

Be well :thumbsup:

You bring up a good point. I very easily could find a copy a [GR] and try it out but im not sure if i want to if its gonna make me not like GRAW...lol

Yeah I will admit it.... I was one of those guys that got torqued when ubi failed to release GR2.... I do see some real potential in GRAW also... the game has progressed from it's original release as was GRIN's promise (kudos to GRIN)... but it still does not have the same tactical feel as [GR], but maybe nothing ever will.....

I love GRAW, as some of you will atest as you see me on servers night after night, but I do miss the matching intensity which [GR] had..... my clan could get online and play 3-4 matches a night easily if that is what we wanted.... or we could go pubbing on 6-7 different servers and have a good time with lots of competition on each....

I think that with the release of some server files and maybe some more quality maps that GRAW could be every bit as good as [GR]--- even better, in fact, since I have noticed that a lot of the old glitches from [GR] are gone..... here's to hoping for more in the future!!

I agree that a certain percentage of the anger towards GRAW is partly due to the GR2 cancellation. I still remember the agony...oh, sweet pain! :wacko:

However, the GRAW developers are still here. They're still working on patches and expansion packs. With each one, more content or fixes will be delivered. I'm going to reserve judgement until after this next patch and then see what the clans do (GRAW, ArmA, or [GR] tourneys forever).

I keep trying to remind myself that [GR] took several years and several Gbs of community content to get where it's at now...

Certainly, one cannot think that GRAW was ever gonna be like [GR]!!! I never did... Have to consider the technological advances since [GR]... I knew the graphics would be advanced as they are... AND I for one am happy about it....

To be honest though Stormin, apart from the graphics, everything else seems to have taken a step backwards from [GR].

We had 9 player Co-op in [GR] (loads more when modded), multiple gametypes, no gamespy, good server options, good crosshair bloom and ret spread etc.

Personally when Ford bring out a new car I don't expect a great new body but model T technology that will be 'patched' up to the previous models spec.

Certainly, one cannot think that GRAW was ever gonna be like [GR]!!! I never did... Have to consider the technological advances since [GR]... I knew the graphics would be advanced as they are... AND I for one am happy about it....

To be honest though Stormin, apart from the graphics, everything else seems to have taken a step backwards from [GR].

We had 9 player Co-op in [GR] (loads more when modded), multiple gametypes, no gamespy, good server options, good crosshair bloom and ret spread etc.

Personally when Ford bring out a new car I don't expect a great new body but model T technology that will be 'patched' up to the previous models spec.

[GR] style co-op is right around the corner. Graw has multiple game types. Ok, ill give ya the gamespy issue...hehe . As of good server options..its my understanding that came later...and we are getting those too...soon! The crosshair and ret stuff ill give ya cause i never played [GR]...hehe

[GR] style co-op is right around the corner. Graw has multiple game types. Ok, ill give ya the gamespy issue...hehe . As of good server options..its my understanding that came later...and we are getting those too...soon! The crosshair and ret stuff ill give ya cause i never played [GR]...hehe

I hope your right about the [GR] style co-op, but remember that would mean to me that you could play co-op in many different ways, Firefight/Mission/Defend/Recon etc, etc with at least 9 players and able to split them into 3 squads identifyable on the map etc, etc. That would be [GR] style co-op.

We shall see.

I hope your right about the [GR] style co-op, but remember that would mean to me that you could play co-op in many different ways, Firefight/Mission/Defend/Recon etc, etc with at least 9 players and able to split them into 3 squads identifyable on the map etc, etc. That would be [GR] style co-op.

We shall see.

LOL, when i read that they were implamenting [GR] style co-op i had to ask my clan what it was cause like i said i have never played [GR]. The only thing i know is its coming in the next patch....i dont know if its gonna be exactly like [GR] style co op.

+1

I'm also with NYR 32 about GRAW. :yes: 2006 GR should have been everything GR was only with 5 years of improvements and of course new stuff where needed. That didn't happen and we ended up with our one hero wonder Scott Mitchell. :wall: 5 years of graphics upgrades and tweaking GR's A.I. amoung other things would have resulted in a game that I couldn't wait to get home from work to play and play again. Then mods of all sorts with all types of gameplay would be filling the download section much like they did and still do with GR. OH! What could have been if only RSE had carried on with the greatest game ever created. :notworthy:

While GRIN deserves some blame for GRAW, lets not forget that this is SOP with UBISoft. Almost every game released since Desert Siege has been rushed and as time has gone on the attitude that they'll "patch it later" has become more prevalent.

I'm in a unique position as the dev group I belong to works closely with Crytek. Having seen how they operate (while they were with UBI and now that they're with EA) I'm gonna have to say that UBI definitely had something to do with an early release and the many bugs that were present in FarCry's m/p. Mind you, my squad beta tested FC's m/p so I saw the bug reports sent in and saw how hard Crytek tried to fix the m/p. Once Crytek bailed from UBI you saw patches more frequently and they (the devs) were more available to the community.

I know I rag on you GRIN guys but I take into consideration that UBI ultimately holds the purse strings. Frankly, unless GRAW is still selling well I doubt that we'll see the fixes that we want to see for the game. GRIN may very well be all about giving us what we want, but the facts are that the money stops sometime and at some point the law of diminishing returns prevails.

Edited by ruggbutt

I love GRAW, as some of you will atest as you see me on servers night after night,

Often enough for you to reduce my kill/death ratio. :P

That said, what I wanted from GR:AW was a first-person shooter where I could take down people with one or two rounds, where I could win by being smarter than the next guy, not faster. That's what I got. I'm happy. :)