Question for BO about demolitions

That's one possibility S-Z. What I meant with my post was to point out how integral to the original game the demo kit was, and by extension, I expect there will be some demolitions-based missions in GRAW. I think that was, to some extent, what the original intent of this thread was about. It wasn't a "I want C-4 so I can do BF2-style kamikazi car bombs", which definitely wouldn't feel right in GRAW (doesn't feel right in BF2 either, but that game let's you respawn, so it happens there). GRAW's you die, you sit out the rest of the match style makes BF2 style C4 unusable.

However, demolitions (whether C-4 or something else) for use on mission objectives is a very GR thing.

Edited by QB-Paladin

It wasn't a "I want C-4 so I can do BF2-style kamikazi car bombs", which definitely wouldn't feel right in GRAW.

Right. I was in no way suggesting that I want to play with C4 in GR:AW the way I do in BF2. GR:AW is, thankfully, a completely different game.

BF2 isn't based on stealth. GRAW is about T.A.C.T.I.C.A.L. combat.

Tactics and stealth are NOT the same thing. You can be loud and tactical, just the same as you can be quiet and tactical. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

C4 or any sort of demolitions charge could have a use if we had maps that had alternate paths that could be opened up through the use of explosives and by alternate paths, I'm referring to walls that could be destroyed rather than doors. For reference, you don't use C4 on doors unless you've got nothing else, that's a waste of a powerful explosive and more likely to bring the wall down alongside the door.

BF2 isn't based on stealth. GRAW is about T.A.C.T.I.C.A.L. combat.

Tactics and stealth are NOT the same thing. You can be loud and tactical, just the same as you can be quiet and tactical. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

C4 or any sort of demolitions charge could have a use if we had maps that had alternate paths that could be opened up through the use of explosives and by alternate paths, I'm referring to walls that could be destroyed rather than doors. For reference, you don't use C4 on doors unless you've got nothing else, that's a waste of a powerful explosive and more likely to bring the wall down alongside the door.

I disagree since I was infantry myself for ten years. stealth is a tactic to be employed to insert with little or no knowledge of being there. IE black ops, SEALS etc. noise and light discipline are tactics whereby a military unit control light & noise in such a way that you prohibit the enemy from knowing your location.

BF2 is straight on assault tactics, whereby GRAW employs stealth and noise disciplines to acheive a tactical advantage by limiting the enemies ability to pinpoint your location. BF2 people just assault headon with the enemy and at close ranges. Graw's ideals are teams that progress across the theater of operations in a manner of bounding overwatch with a mix of urban warfare tactics which uses heavy stealth such as actions on building corners, danger zones like roads and open areas. but it is just a game. people will run n' gun like they did with GR so true tactically minded teams will be successful if they can perform urban tactics for urban maps and stealth tactics for non urban maps. If you can't hear me, you'll never know I'm there.

Added: another tactic which ties in stealth is the fact of a units actions on the objective. do you nade the crap out of the objective or quietly place a demo charge and slip out and detonate the charge by timed fuse cord a remote detonator or just blow it up. stealth is married with tactics

Edited by Papa6

WW2 is long gone and you don't really mean destroyed by primitive bombs, this is hollywood or something ...

To be honest i was talking about Saving Private Ryan and this movie got veterans award for its realism. I also have german training movie form WW2 with german soldier destrying a tank with small "handmade look"bomb, I can upload it somewhere if You want.

I know what you mean, but to hit the wound point you need very brave soldiers.

And most of the time they only stopped the tank to take him down with other

weapons or to enter him with another deadly weapon/bomb/charge/fire.

When I was in military service (poser alarm :lol:)

he he :thumbsup:

C4 pack (btw. only saw these packages in movies) is not a tank mine, not a RPG and no anti tank grenade... If you take a closer look at these specific weapons, then you could see the effort to crack the armor.

But what about destroying tracks or throwing a charge into a barrel

Throwing in barrel will not have much impact I think. To much space.

It's not about the amount it's about the placement. You can waste pounds of C4

by throwing or sticking them outside of the tank. But you need only a small

well placed amount to build a cutting charge to cut the tracks. But ... the tank

is not waiting for you while you do that :lol:

Cutting charges often used to destroy buildings, bridges, railways even trees.

If there is ANY form of Demo charge I would hope it is handled in exactly the same way as in [GR], as a mission objective item and not something thrown around like in other games.

This is GR:AW after all ;)

:thumbsup:

during my days in, Det cord and C4 were the norm. we got to blow up 8 cases of bangelore torpedoes(old tech dating back to WWI) and that left a 30foot wide hole by 15 feet deep. nice hole.

but blowing stuff up was fun.

It wasn't a "I want C-4 so I can do BF2-style kamikazi car bombs", which definitely wouldn't feel right in GRAW.

Right. I was in no way suggesting that I want to play with C4 in GR:AW the way I do in BF2. GR:AW is, thankfully, a completely different game.

I'm not suggesting you all do. But I WOULD like to have a demo that actually blows up. I'm sure the devs or a modder can make it in such a way so that its not like the free for all slamfest that is BF2 and their C4/demos.

stealth is married with tactics

Your argument posed no counter whatsoever. What exactly are you disagreeing with? You believe stealth and tactics are identical terms? That's blatantly ridiculous. I can link you to a good online dictionary if you like.

Same thing I said before. Stealth is NOT the same thing as Tactics, no matter how much you want to claim it is. Using stealth is a tactic, but do not mistake a lack of stealth for a lack of tactics. If you do have military training, you would know this.

Far too many people in the GR and R6 communities have mistaken stealth for tactics, assuming that if you're not moving slow and quiet, then you're not playing 'tactically'. It's a flawed and arrogant presumption by many in the two communities. Stealth helps, and it's probably the easiest of tactical methods to use in a video game situation, but it is certainly not the only one.

stealth is married with tactics

Your argument posed no counter whatsoever. What exactly are you disagreeing with? You believe stealth and tactics are identical terms? That's blatantly ridiculous. I can link you to a good online dictionary if you like.

Same thing I said before. Stealth is NOT the same thing as Tactics, no matter how much you want to claim it is. Using stealth is a tactic, but do not mistake a lack of stealth for a lack of tactics. If you do have military training, you would know this.

Far too many people in the GR and R6 communities have mistaken stealth for tactics, assuming that if you're not moving slow and quiet, then you're not playing 'tactically'. It's a flawed and arrogant presumption by many in the two communities. Stealth helps, and it's probably the easiest of tactical methods to use in a video game situation, but it is certainly not the only one.

May sound crazy but you can use "tactics" in even a game like Quake 3. All tactics are, is a set of procedures or strategical decisions used in acheiving a finished goal. No matter how a person decides to reach that goal wether it be stealthy or like a kamikazze it's still called a tactic.

Far too many people in the GR and R6 communities have mistaken stealth for tactics, assuming that if you're not moving slow and quiet, then you're not playing 'tactically'.  It's a flawed and arrogant presumption by many in the two communities.  Stealth helps, and it's probably the easiest of tactical methods to use in a video game situation, but it is certainly not the only one.

Very true. :thumbsup:

Edit; toned down the homo-eroticness of my post. Looks like I killed the thread. lol

Edited by Moose

C4 should not be a backpack item, unless mission critical, and never a hand thrown item, it should be a scripted element or not used. Who needs C4 if you have AT and CAS.

C4 is not backpack kit. It is used on objectives - such as installations or ADATs or what have you. You do not throw it around no.

C4 should not be a backpack item, unless mission critical, and never a hand thrown item, it should be a scripted element or not used. Who needs C4 if you have AT and CAS.

C4 is not backpack kit. It is used on objectives - such as installations or ADATs or what have you. You do not throw it around no.

Another fear put to rest, good man Bo :thumbsup:

Another fear put to rest, good man Bo :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Thank God. I mean....thank GRIN.

Hey Bo, I thought you couldn't talk about demo? </pun> Heh, I remember running around in BF2 planting all my C4 and camping to watch as enemies went through, then BOOM! watch as they go 50 feet into the air. "Medic! Medic!

Ok, I'm fine with that. But does it actually blow things up? And can it be detonated and used as a weapon against enemies? I mean, wouldn't it be cool if you can place a demo at an ammo dump or whatever so you can cause a diversion? Then you and your team can run to complete an objective while the enemy runs to the site of the explosion to see what all the ruckus is about.

I've always wanted to do something like that.

Or how about placing c4 at the barracks where the enemy soldiers are hanging out and blowing it up! That way you've taken out most of the enemy before you can commence your attack. :thumbsup:

This has gotten off topic.

Question has been answered so nothing more to discuss here. I'm not a fan of locking threads (although it seems I've had to do that a lot lately) so I'm leaving this open, but if you continue with this conversation, I will not hesitate to lock it.